|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlotte invited to have with the captain when she wakes up after being sick?
2. What does the man carrying Charlotte's trunk do when the captain's name is mentioned?
3. What does Charlotte feel like when she walks with Captain Jaggery?
4. What is Charlotte doing when Ewing breaks a needle?
5. What does Charlotte sense when she is looking through her chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most unique part of the ship to Charlotte as she looks at it while waiting for Mr. Grummage?
2. Who greets Charlotte on the ship and what does he say to her?
3. What does Mr. Barlow say to Charlotte as he takes her to look through her chest?
4. What does Charlotte notice about the ship as she walks with Captain Jaggery, and what does he do about it?
5. What does Charlotte do with the gift Zachariah gives her?
6. Who does Charlotte consider telling about her experience in the cargo hold, and why doesn't she?
7. What does Charlotte think about while dressing after her experience in the cargo hold?
8. How does Charlotte feel about what Zachariah tells her as she is led to the captain's cabin?
9. What does Captain Jaggery ask Charlotte to do for him after her illness?
10. What does Captain Jaggery tell the crew just after he inspects them for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Charlotte endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Avi have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)