|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does this book start out in?
2. How many times does Captain Jaggery order Zachariah to be whipped?
3. How does Charlotte think her candle went out?
4. What causes Charlotte's candle to go out when she is looking through her chest?
5. What does the man who takes Charlotte to her trunk say to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zachariah say when Charlotte first speaks to him after her illness?
2. What happens while Zachariah is being whipped?
3. How does Charlotte feel about what Zachariah tells her as she is led to the captain's cabin?
4. What does Charlotte refuse to do for Captain Jaggery?
5. How does Charlotte feel about the scene she sees at the docks?
6. What happens while Charlotte is left alone to look through her chest?
7. What does Charlotte do with the gift Zachariah gives her?
8. What is Charlotte impressed about when she first enters the captain's cabin?
9. What does Mr. Barlow say to Charlotte as he takes her to look through her chest?
10. What happens after Charlotte's candle goes out in the cargo hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)