|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte do when she is left alone in her room for the first time?
2. Where does Charlotte go to retrieve a needle for Ewing?
3. Why does Charlotte decide against telling someone about her experience in the cargo hold?
4. What city does this book start out in?
5. What is used to release water that leaks into the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlotte think about while dressing after her experience in the cargo hold?
2. What is the highlight of every day on the ship for Charlotte?
3. What is Charlotte impressed about when she first enters the captain's cabin?
4. What does Charlotte refuse to do for Captain Jaggery?
5. Who does Charlotte consider telling about her experience in the cargo hold, and why doesn't she?
6. What happens when Charlotte returns to her room after speaking with the captain?
7. What does Charlotte do with the gift Zachariah gives her?
8. How does Charlotte feel about her room on board the ship?
9. What does Captain Jaggery ask Charlotte to do for him after her illness?
10. What does Mr. Barlow say to Charlotte as he takes her to look through her chest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)