|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the parrot tell Caden to do if the ship speaks to him in Chapter 9?
(a) "Draw it in pictures."
(b) "Tell it to the Captain."
(c) "Go and tell your parents."
(d) "Write down everything it says."
2. What does Caden describe holding "the remains of my life" in Chapter 60?
(a) "The mystery ashtray."
(b) "An old suitcase."
(c) "A silver urn."
(d) "A bag of clothing."
3. Why does Caden's family go to Las Vegas in Chapter 22?
(a) His parents have sold their house.
(b) His house is being treated for termites.
(c) To visit Caden's grandparents and uncle.
(d) So that his father can interview for a job.
4. What is the obsession that the narrator describes taking over him in Chapter 44?
(d) Playing video games.
5. What does the narrator describe needing to help his sister with in Chapter 4?
6. What kind of spiders does Caden describe living in his garage in Chapter 50?
(a) Black widow spiders.
(b) Brown recluse spiders.
(c) Green garden spiders.
(d) Daddy long-legs spiders.
7. Where does Caden describe a kid falling into an abandoned well in Chapter 44?
8. How old is the protagonist of the novel?
9. What title has "the pudgy kid" been given on the ship in Chapter 40?
10. What does the girl take from the refrigerator in Chapter 10?
11. What is the title of Chapter 65, when the narrator describes seeing what is behind his closed eyes?
(a) "Better for This."
(b) "Behind Her Back."
(c) "Hindsight at My Feet."
(d) "The Darkness Beyond."
12. What is Caden's dad's profession?
(a) He is an accountant.
(b) He is a shoe salesman.
(c) He is a policeman.
(d) He is a lawyer.
13. What is the first statement on the parrot's questionnaire in Chapter 21?
(a) "Energy drinks allow me to fly."
(b) "My fellow crewmen are hiding biological weapons."
(c) "I sometimes worry that the ship might sink."
(d) "I am God, and God does not fill out questionnaires."
14. What does Caden describe infesting the ship in Chapter 55?
(a) Free-range brains.
15. What color hair is Carlyle described as having in Chapter 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Caden describe staying at a hotel with his family during a trip to New York in Chapter 27?
2. What does Caden say he is listening for when Mackenzie returns home from school in Chapter 13?
3. What does the narrator compare the laughter and thoughts to of the monsters around him in Chapter 3?
4. What does the parrot demand that Caden do in the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. What position on the ship does Carlyle hold?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)