|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 66, when the narrator stands in a hallway?
(a) "The Darkness Beyond."
(b) "Your Terrifying Awesomeness."
(c) "Hindsight at My Feet."
(d) "Behind Her Back."
2. How does the narrator describe time moving on the pirate ship in Chapter 4?
3. How deep does the protagonist claim the Marianas Trench to be in Chapter 2?
(a) 3.4 miles deep.
(b) 6.8 miles deep.
(c) 7.4 miles deep.
(d) 6.2 miles deep.
4. Where does Caden describe a kid falling into an abandoned well in Chapter 44?
5. What does the narrator compare the laughter and thoughts to of the monsters around him in Chapter 3?
(a) Octopus tentacles.
(b) Poison-tipped darts.
(c) Silk veils.
(d) Silver doubloons.
6. The narrator says in Chapter 66, "Do you know how it feels, to be free from yourself and" what?
(a) "Alone on the sea?"
(b) "Above the sky?"
(d) "Terrified by it?"
7. What is Caden's dad's profession?
(a) He is a policeman.
(b) He is an accountant.
(c) He is a shoe salesman.
(d) He is a lawyer.
8. How does the narrator describe his spinning emotions in Chapter 5?
(a) Like wandering a dark tunnel.
(b) Like swimming in the ocean.
(c) Like laying in an alley.
(d) Like leaping from a plane.
9. What is the challenge that the Captain gives to Caden in Chapter 34?
(a) Cleaning the cannon.
(b) Polishing the bowsprit.
(c) Diving at the Challenger Deep.
(d) Swabbing the deck.
10. What does the parrot tell Caden to do if the ship speaks to him in Chapter 9?
(a) "Write down everything it says."
(b) "Tell it to the Captain."
(c) "Go and tell your parents."
(d) "Draw it in pictures."
11. The Marianas Trench is located southwest of what island?
(b) Bora Bora.
12. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) "Better for This."
(b) "Behind Her Back."
(c) "Forever Down There."
(d) "Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum."
13. Where does the protagonist describe his dream taking place in Chapter 3?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A white kitchen.
(c) An old hotel.
(d) A dusty library.
14. What does Caden describe holding "the remains of my life" in Chapter 60?
(a) "An old suitcase."
(b) "A silver urn."
(c) "A bag of clothing."
(d) "The mystery ashtray."
15. Into what material has the ship turned in Chapter 47?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the deepest place in the Marianas Trench called?
2. In Chapter 66, the narrator describes "forces out there that want to crush your spirit even as it" does what?
3. When was the Marianas Trench first explored?
4. Who among Caden's friends at the lunch table in the cafeteria asks him, "Hey, earth to Caden Bosch--where are you man?" in Chapter 29?
5. What does Caden say the name of the wooden maiden on the bowsprit means in Chapter 42?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)