|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Lockton believe of Ruth?
2. Who does Isabel ask for guidance?
3. What does Isabel decide she must do?
4. Who pleads for the girls' welfare?
5. What does Colonel Regen ask Isabel to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Curzon tell Isabel about the Locktons, and what promise does he make?
2. How does Isabel feel about Ruth's assigned role in the household?
3. What does Isabel learn when she is serving a meeting of some of the Loyalists at the Lockton home?
4. What is Isabel's assigned role in the Lockton household?
5. What worries Isabel about Ruth being around Mrs. Lockton regularly?
6. Who does Isabel take the list she stole to and why does she choose that person?
7. What are Isabel and Ruth doing in the funeral procession, and what is important about the day for them?
8. Why does Isabel ask the pastor for work?
9. What does the Mayor of New York suggest it is time to do to advance the Loyalist cause?
10. What surprises Isabel when she goes to bring Lady Seymour back to the Lockton home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in "Chains". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with freedom? Why? What are some symbols of freedom? Symbols of slavery? What characters are free? Why are they free?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Chains". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of growing up and personal responsibility in "Chains". How does Isabel grow up? How does she try to get others to help her out of her situation? How does she finally end up taking responsibility for helping herself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Chains".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Chains". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes in this book. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Chains" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Chains" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Would you say "Chains" had a happy ending? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)