|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the slaves say will happen if the British win the war?
(a) They will be freed.
(b) They will never be freed.
(c) They will be treated worse.
(d) They will be treated better.
2. Who steps off the ship that Captain Campbell stepped off?
(a) Colonel Regen in chains.
(b) Mr. Lockton.
(c) Mr. Bellingham.
3. What does Isabel see when she is branded?
(a) Stars and the ghosts of her dead parents.
(b) The devil with Mrs. Lockton's face.
(c) Ruth crying for her.
4. What is the next thing Isabel remembers after leaving Colonel Regen's presence?
(a) Seeing Ruth being dragged away.
(b) Waking up from a terrible beating.
(c) Hearing Mrs. Lockton requesting that Isabel be hung.
(d) Waking up in the hold of a ship.
5. What does Isabel do with a bucket of food scraps?
(a) Saves it for her escape.
(b) Slops the pigs.
(c) Takes it to feed the prisoners.
(d) Gives it to the beggers on the street.
6. What does Lady Seymour give Isabel on Christmas?
(a) A new pair shoes.
(b) A few dollars.
(c) A new hat.
(d) A new pair of gloves.
7. What is Madam Lockton infuriated about Lady Seymour's letter?
(a) The letter requests that Isabel be given to Lady Seymour forever.
(b) Madam Lockton does not want to give up Isabel.
(c) There is a veiled insult against Madam Lockton in the letter.
(d) The letter suggests that Lady Seymour is doing more than the Locktons.
8. For how long is Isabel held in prison?
(a) A week.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 3 days.
(d) A few hours.
9. When does Becky say has happened to Ruth?
(a) She was sold.
(b) She is outside playing.
(c) She was beaten and is at Lady Seymour's home.
(d) She died during a seizure during the night.
10. What book does the book seller give Isabel?
(a) Thre Three Musketeers.
(b) Common Sense.
(c) Robinson Caruso.
11. How bad is the fire to which Isabel awakes one morning?
(a) The entire block of homes is on fire.
(b) Isabel has no idea.
(c) The fire is contained in the kitchen.
(d) Just Lady Seymour and the next-door neighbor's home are on fire.
12. Where is Isabel to be branded?
(a) On her shoulder.
(b) On her hand.
(c) In her chest.
(d) On her face.
13. Why does Isabel relish the physical pain of her brand?
(a) It distracts her from her emotional pain.
(b) It reminds her of her desire for revenge.
(c) It is proof of her standing up for herself as an individual, thinking human.
(d) It reminds her of her lost innocence.
14. How has Isabel's situation gotten worse?
(a) There are more people to wait on at Lady Seymour's home.
(b) The German soldiers are rough with Isabel.
(c) One of the German soldiers is too familiar with Isabel.
(d) Several of the German soldiers make fun of Isabel.
15. What does Bellingham promise Curzon for serving as a soldier?
(a) An education.
(c) Help getting his own farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the book seller say many in the colonies are trying to do?
2. With what does Curzon help Isabel?
3. What happens that causes the Patriots to leave New York City?
4. Why does the prison guard allow Isabel in to see the prisoners?
5. What does Isabel tell the prisoners before she leaves?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)