Part I: Chapters I - VI
• Isabel, a thirteen year old slave owned by Mary Finch walks behind the carriage pulling Mary's coffin to the cemetery.
• Ruth, Isabel's sister, rides with the carriage driver because she has epilepsy and is mentally impaired. Isabel stops at her mother's grave to pray.
• Today is the day Isabel has waited for a long time. Today, according to Mary Finch, Isabel and Ruth will be freed by Mary's will.
• After the funeral Isabel asks the pastor for help in finding work. Miss Finch's nephew cuts into the conversation.
• He claims his aunt's will cannot be found and the two girls are his property. He plans to sell them as soon as possible.
• Robert, the nephew, takes the girls to an alehouse where he auctions them off to the highest bidder despite the pleas of Jenny, the tavern owner.
• The two girls are...
This section contains 2,639 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)