|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie know as she is walking home?
2. What is the first thing Carrie does when she returns to the prom?
3. What is Carrie doing as she waits for her prom date?
4. What does Carrie do at gas stations that she passes?
5. What does Margret do when Carrie says that about every woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carrie go into a church? What does she do immediately after leaving the church?
2. What does Sheriff Doyle say about the night of the prom?
3. What do Billy and Chris do when the town is on fire and what happens when they do it?
4. What does Carrie do to the building where the prom is being held?
5. What does Carrie do after she runs out of the prom?
6. How did Billy Nolan use his friends with his plan for prom night?
7. What happens with Sue and the investigating committee?
8. What does Margret tell Carrie about her conception and birth?
9. What does Carrie do to the gas stations she passes?
10. What happens when Carrie tries on her dress for the prom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the people involved with prom realize that Chris Hargensen is most likely going to try and do something at prom to ruin the event for everyone else, but no one says anything to her.
1. Discuss, in depth, the dynamics of a school's social atmosphere that might keep anyone from talking to Chris about her plans for the prom. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss, in depth, who is more responsible for what happened in Chamberlain, Chris Hargensen or Carrie. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Although Chris wants to specifically embarrass Carrie, Billy doesn't care who is standing under the buckets. Explain what you think motivates someone like Billy to do what he did. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think CARRIE is successful as a horror novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Stephen King's books? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of abuse in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of revenge in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)