|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carrie go when Tommy is killed?
2. Where does Carrie stop as she is walking through Chamberlain?
3. What does Carrie refuse to do?
4. What does Carrie ask of her mother?
5. What does Margret hold while sitting in the living room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carrie feel about her name being on the ballot and what happens during the vote for prom court?
2. What did Cora find out at the school and what does she want to know?
3. What does Margret think she should have done with Carrie and what does she plan to do now?
4. What does Billy decide while waiting for the prom queen and king to be announced?
5. How does Carrie feel while she is waiting for Tommy to pick her up for the prom? What does he tell her?
6. What happens when Tommy and Carrie are standing on stage?
7. What does Margret tell Carrie about her conception and birth?
8. What is Margret doing while Carrie is at the prom?
9. What happens when Carrie tries on her dress for the prom?
10. What does Carrie admit to her mother and what happens with the two of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Carrie thinks she is obtaining justice by killing off the students at the prom. Was she wrong or correct? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the general literary category of fiction and the genre of horror fiction, although it has characteristics of other genres also. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term genre. Give examples of at least five types of genre and why they belong to their specific genre.
2. Why do you think books are categorized by genre? What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
3. To what other genres could this book possibly belong? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Chris is angry at being barred from the prom. Carrie is angry because she feels so many of her peers make fun of her. Margret is angry because she didn't kill Carrie as a baby. Anger runs throughout this whole book.
1. Do you think the events would have occurred without anger? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How do you think Carrie can go about "losing" her anger?
3. Is Carrie's anger justified? Understandable? What can she do to let go of the anger?
4. Can you use your advice about how Carrie can let go of her anger and apply it to any way your own anger is sparked? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)