|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie do when she sees people as she is walking?
2. What does Chris ask Billy?
3. What has Chris arranged?
4. How does Margret first know about Carrie's abilities?
5. Where is Sheriff Doyle when everything starts with Carrie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy decide while waiting for the prom queen and king to be announced?
2. What does Sheriff Doyle say about the night of the prom?
3. How does Carrie feel about her name being on the ballot and what happens during the vote for prom court?
4. What occurs between Sue and Carrie as Carrie is dying?
5. How does Carrie feel while she is waiting for Tommy to pick her up for the prom? What does he tell her?
6. What do Billy and Chris do when the town is on fire and what happens when they do it?
7. What happens when Tommy and Carrie are standing on stage?
8. What did Cora find out at the school and what does she want to know?
9. What happens when Carrie tries on her dress for the prom?
10. What had Chris and Billy done before the prom begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in CARRIE are a mixture of complex (or three dimensional) and flat (or stereotypes) Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of CARRIE. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Sue Snell. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Carrie and Sue Snell and write about them in relationship to both Carrie and Sue Snell. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the general literary category of fiction and the genre of horror fiction, although it has characteristics of other genres also. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term genre. Give examples of at least five types of genre and why they belong to their specific genre.
2. Why do you think books are categorized by genre? What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
3. To what other genres could this book possibly belong? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell. How are they the same? How are they different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better person, Chris Hargensen or Sue? Why? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)