|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy beginning to feel about Chris?
2. Why does Sue Snell think Carrie is doing so much damage?
3. What does Carrie try on while her mother watches?
4. How does Carrie begin killing people in the building?
5. What does Carrie sense?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheriff Doyle say about the night of the prom?
2. What happens when Tommy and Carrie are standing on stage?
3. How is Carrie feeling about being at the prom?
4. What happens when Carrie tries on her dress for the prom?
5. What does Billy decide while waiting for the prom queen and king to be announced?
6. What does Margret think she should have done with Carrie and what does she plan to do now?
7. What had Chris and Billy done before the prom begins?
8. What occurs between Sue and Carrie as Carrie is dying?
9. What does Carrie do to the gas stations she passes?
10. What happens with Carrie immediately after the prank by Billy and Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carrie has killed almost an entire town for revenge.
1. How would you define revenge? How often do you think people are motivated by the desire for revenge? What do you think is the effect of holding such a desire for a long time without fulfillment?
2. Explain why Chris wants revenge and on whom. Do you think she is justified in seeking revenge? Is the taking of revenge ever justified? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why Carrie wants revenge and on whom. Do you think she is justified in seeking revenge? Is the taking of revenge ever justified? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Change is inevitable, growth is optional. The change in the characters in this book are drastic from the status quo at the beginning of the book to the end.
1. What are some of the ways in which Carrie changed during the course of this book? Did she grow from the change? What did she learn from it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What are some of the changes that occurred in Sue Snell in the course of the story? How did she grow from the circumstances? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Choose two characters in the book and compare and contrast the change in them through the course of the story and how they did or did not grow.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen King.
2. What in King's background may have helped King in writing CARRIE? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)