|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris ask Billy?
2. What is Billy beginning to feel about Chris?
3. What does Cora learn when she gets to the high school?
4. What does Carrie believe after being splattered?
5. What does Margret say she should have done when Ralph had sex with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Carrie feeling about being at the prom?
2. How did Billy Nolan use his friends with his plan for prom night?
3. How does Carrie feel while she is waiting for Tommy to pick her up for the prom? What does he tell her?
4. What happens with Carrie immediately after the prank by Billy and Chris?
5. What does Sheriff Doyle say about the night of the prom?
6. What did Cora find out at the school and what does she want to know?
7. What does Cora Simard tell the commission?
8. How does Carrie feel about her name being on the ballot and what happens during the vote for prom court?
9. What had Chris and Billy done before the prom begins?
10. What does Margret tell Carrie about her conception and birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carrie is written with an epistolary structure.
1. After research, explain, with examples what is meant by the above statement.
2. How do you think the epistolary structure affected the flow, the tone and the plot structure of CARRIE? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How do you think this story would have changed if it had been written in a non-epistolary way in which the events take place in a chronological, story form? Do you think this would improve or detract from the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Chris Hagensen to Billy Nolan.
2. Compare/contrast the relationship of Chris and Billy to that of Sue and Tommy.
3. Compare/contrast the type of "community" in which Carrie lives to your own.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of abuse in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of revenge in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)