|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie ask her date?
2. What does Carrie's mother do?
3. Why is Chris unsure of Billy?
4. With what is Carrie splattered?
5. What does Doyle discover about one of his officers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Billy and Chris do when the town is on fire and what happens when they do it?
2. How does Carrie feel about her name being on the ballot and what happens during the vote for prom court?
3. What happens with Sue and the investigating committee?
4. What does Carrie admit to her mother and what happens with the two of them?
5. What happens when Carrie tries on her dress for the prom?
6. What happens when Tommy and Carrie are standing on stage?
7. What happens with Carrie immediately after the prank by Billy and Chris?
8. What does Billy decide while waiting for the prom queen and king to be announced?
9. Why does Carrie return to the prom?
10. How did Billy Nolan use his friends with his plan for prom night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carrie is so quick to assume that people are out to get her that she never realizes that the pig blood at the prom wasn't necessarily meant for her. Carrie has been so abused by the people that should have cared for her, or at least looked out for her, that she can't comprehend how to properly act with people in many respects.
1. Do you think Carrie's assumption about the blood was logical? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Given Carrie's home situation explain why you think she had such a difficult time at school with the other students. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How much of Carrie's paranoia do you think was the result of her mother's influence and how much did she acquire at school? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Parents usually hope for the best but often make mistakes.
1. From what has been introduced in the early part of CARRIE, do you think Margret is a good mother? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Margret's behavior might have pushed Carrie to do what she did? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, this statement: Chris Hargensen's parents were partially responsible for what happened in Chamberlain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in CARRIE are a mixture of complex (or three dimensional) and flat (or stereotypes) Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of CARRIE. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Sue Snell. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Carrie and Sue Snell and write about them in relationship to both Carrie and Sue Snell. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)