|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carrie go when Tommy is killed?
2. How are most of the prom goers killed?
3. What does Billy do about his friends and gloves?
4. What does Miss Desjardin tell Carrie?
5. What happens as Carrie walks by fire hydrants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carrie feel while she is waiting for Tommy to pick her up for the prom? What does he tell her?
2. What does Sheriff Doyle say about the night of the prom?
3. What do Billy and Chris do when the town is on fire and what happens when they do it?
4. What does Billy decide while waiting for the prom queen and king to be announced?
5. What happens with Carrie immediately after the prank by Billy and Chris?
6. What happens when Tommy and Carrie are standing on stage?
7. What did Cora find out at the school and what does she want to know?
8. Why does Carrie return to the prom?
9. How did Billy Nolan use his friends with his plan for prom night?
10. What does Margret tell Carrie about her conception and birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Carrie thinks she is obtaining justice by killing off the students at the prom. Was she wrong or correct? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Carrie is written with an epistolary structure.
1. After research, explain, with examples what is meant by the above statement.
2. How do you think the epistolary structure affected the flow, the tone and the plot structure of CARRIE? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How do you think this story would have changed if it had been written in a non-epistolary way in which the events take place in a chronological, story form? Do you think this would improve or detract from the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the people involved with prom realize that Chris Hargensen is most likely going to try and do something at prom to ruin the event for everyone else, but no one says anything to her.
1. Discuss, in depth, the dynamics of a school's social atmosphere that might keep anyone from talking to Chris about her plans for the prom. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss, in depth, who is more responsible for what happened in Chamberlain, Chris Hargensen or Carrie. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Although Chris wants to specifically embarrass Carrie, Billy doesn't care who is standing under the buckets. Explain what you think motivates someone like Billy to do what he did. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)