1. What year is it when the book begins?
2. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(b) There is a bombing.
(c) The President gives a historic speech there.
(d) There is an earthquake.
3. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
4. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(c) David's grandmother.
5. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
6. Where was David born?
7. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A young man.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A school-aged boy.
(d) A toddler.
8. What faith is the Schearl family?
9. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
(a) Albert is overjoyed to see David.
(b) Albert ignores David.
(c) Albert criticizes David.
(d) Albert hugs David.
This section contains 3,983 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)