• In 1907 David and his mother arrive in New York to meet his father who has been there for some time.
• David has never met his father, Albert, before.
• Albert is angry that David's mother, Genya, doesn't recognize her own husband.
Book I: The Cellar
• David is now almost six and lives with his parents in an apartment that has a cellar; David is terrified of the cellar.
• David has a playmate named Yussie, but he has little in common with Yussie and prefers to just watch the other children play.
• Albert gets a job at Dolman's Press and works under a foreman named Joe Luter.
• Luter and Albert become friends, and Luter becomes a regular dinner guest.
• Genya realizes Albert is interested in a relationship with her.
• David senses something is wrong and is uncomfortable with Luter.
• David's mother takes him upstairs to Yussie's apartment where Yussie's...
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)