Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
2. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
3. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
4. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
5. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Bethia and Caleb. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Caleb and Joel. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Caleb's Crossing help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Caleb's Crossing help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Caleb's Crossing? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Caleb's Crossing to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Caleb's Crossing is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)