|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
2. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
3. When did Anne's parents die?
4. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
5. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
2. Describe a little about Anne's life.
3. What is the time frame when Chapter 1 of this section opens and why is Bethia writing again?
4. What does Bethia say about her marriage to Samuel and their trip to Italy?
5. What is Smauel Corlett like?
6. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
7. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
8. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
9. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
10. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Caleb's Crossing? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Caleb's Crossing including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Caleb's Crossing and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Caleb's Crossing interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Caleb. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Bethia. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pastor Mayfield. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)