|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caleb call Bethia?
2. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
3. What does Bethia at first consider outlandish about what Caleb tells her?
4. With whom is Bethia's father arguing?
5. How does Bethia explain knowing Wampanoag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
2. What does Caleb think of Bethia's name and how does he express his feelings about it?
3. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
4. How does Bethia feel about Solace?
5. How does Bethia come to believe she needs to watch her father preach?
6. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
7. How does Bethia describe her life in Cambridge?
8. Describe the effect of Bethia's father's preaching on the Wampanoag.
9. What happens that evening after Caleb ends his friendship with Bethia that makes Bethia believe she contributes to her mother's death?
10. What does Bethia say about her two brothers and what her father says about females?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Caleb's Crossing interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Caleb. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Bethia. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pastor Mayfield. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Caleb's Crossing.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Caleb's Crossing. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Caleb's Crossing. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)