|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(a) Offer to marry Anne.
(c) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
(d) Ask Anne her opinion.
2. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
(a) In the servant's room in the attic.
(b) In the hayloft.
(c) In a small hut outside.
(d) On a rough bed in the kitchen.
3. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
(a) Bad weather.
(d) God's will.
4. Whom does Anne marry?
(a) No one.
(b) Caleb's brother.
5. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(b) Of Bethia's behavior.
(c) Caleb has cursed their family.
(d) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Anne's parents die?
2. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
3. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
4. To whom is one of the students related?
5. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
2. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
3. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
4. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
5. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
6. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
7. What is Smauel Corlett like?
8. How has Makepeace arranged to buy Bethia out of her indenture?
9. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
10. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)