|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To get the rest of her books.
(b) To see her brother's new child.
(c) To get Anne.
(d) To ask Tequamuck's help.
2. About what is Makepeace jealous?
(a) Other men his age have gone off to college.
(b) Their mother loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(c) Their father loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(d) Bethia and Caleb's success at learning.
3. Who dies unexpectedly?
(a) The governor.
(b) The youngest, unmarried son of the governor.
(c) The wife of the governor.
(d) The married son of the governor.
4. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
(b) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
(c) He should have a native Indian wife.
(d) He has moved beyond her.
5. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(b) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(c) What she cannot know.
(d) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Bethia watch as the boat sets out for Cambridge?
2. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
3. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
4. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
5. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
2. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
3. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
4. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
5. Why does Bethia tell Caleb to stop calling her Storm Eyes?
6. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
7. How has Makepeace arranged to buy Bethia out of her indenture?
8. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
9. What are a couple things Bethia does during her first days at the school?
10. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)