|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) He has moved beyond her.
(b) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
(c) He should have a native Indian wife.
(d) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
2. What is wrong with Anne?
(a) She was beaten by one of the male students.
(b) She has smallpox.
(c) She broke her arm.
(d) She is having a miscarriage.
3. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(a) Sammuel's tutoring.
(b) Bethia's hard work.
(d) Joel's name or anything about him.
4. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Aphra Behn.
(b) John Smith.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Anne Bradstreet.
5. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(b) Solace was not destined to live long.
(c) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(d) Solace was a bad child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
2. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
3. What does Bethia feel the need to do?
4. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
5. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
2. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
3. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
4. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
5. What are a couple things Bethia does during her first days at the school?
6. Describe a little about Anne's life.
7. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
8. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
9. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
10. What is the time frame when Chapter 1 of this section opens and why is Bethia writing again?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)