|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems detached.
(b) He seems ill at ease.
(c) He seems right at home.
(d) He is very dignified.
2. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
(a) The entire community collects money to pay his way.
(b) A Duke in Italy pays his way.
(c) He is unable to go to Italy as he wished.
(d) The wealthy widow Makepeace marries.
3. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(b) They will continue as a strong nation.
(c) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
4. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
(a) Like a brother.
(b) Like a wife.
(c) Like a student.
(d) Like a mentor.
5. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He does not want to hear the details.
(d) He sobs for a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Makepeace jealous?
2. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
3. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
4. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
5. What is wrong with Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
2. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
3. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
4. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
5. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
6. What is Smauel Corlett like?
7. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
8. Why does Bethia tell Caleb to stop calling her Storm Eyes?
9. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
10. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)