|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(b) She has to marry within a month.
(c) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(d) She has to come back and work for one year.
2. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He loves another woman.
(b) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(c) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
(d) He believes woman are equal to men.
3. About what is Caleb troubled?
(a) That natives are treated as inferiors.
(b) Bethia still being at the school.
(c) The lack of justice in Anne's case.
(d) Anne still being at the school.
4. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) No one.
(b) An elderly, kind gentleman.
(c) The professor of classics.
(d) A drunk who hates native Indians.
5. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Reconsider marriage with him.
(b) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
(c) Find her own heart.
(d) Go back to the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
2. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
3. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
4. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
5. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
2. How does Bethia help Caleb die with peace and dignity?
3. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
4. Why does Bethia tell Caleb to stop calling her Storm Eyes?
5. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
6. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
7. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
8. What does Bethia say about her marriage to Samuel and their trip to Italy?
9. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
10. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)