|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bethia sad?
(a) Makepeace is not happy with her marrying Samuel.
(b) Caleb stays in Cambridge.
(c) She is very ill.
(d) Her father is not here to meet Samuel.
2. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) Which man would love children the most.
(b) Which man stirs her blood.
(c) If she even wants to marry.
(d) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
3. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
(b) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(c) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(d) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
4. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He sobs for a long time.
(d) He does not want to hear the details.
5. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) She comes to realize that she and Caleb cannot marry.
(c) She is accosted by one of the last-year students.
(d) Caleb and Joel are first shunned then welcomed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
2. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
3. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
4. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
5. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a couple things Bethia does during her first days at the school?
2. What is the time frame when Chapter 1 of this section opens and why is Bethia writing again?
3. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
4. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
5. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
6. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
7. What is Smauel Corlett like?
8. What does Bethia say about her marriage to Samuel and their trip to Italy?
9. Why does Bethia tell Caleb to stop calling her Storm Eyes?
10. How does Bethia help Caleb die with peace and dignity?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)