|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(a) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
(b) He is waylaid by pirates.
(c) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
2. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) She is ostracized from the community.
(b) She is still robust and well.
(c) She is unhappy.
(d) Her health is failing.
3. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of praise to the sun.
(b) A song of hope.
(c) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(d) A song of despair.
4. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) Which man would love children the most.
(b) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
(c) If she even wants to marry.
(d) Which man stirs her blood.
5. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He does not want to hear the details.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(d) He sobs for a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
2. About what is Caleb troubled?
3. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
4. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
5. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
2. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
3. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
4. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
5. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
6. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
7. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
8. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
9. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
10. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)