|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Anne's parents die?
(a) Just recently on a boat that sinks.
(b) When Anne is fifteen.
(c) They are not dead.
(d) When she is a child.
2. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
(b) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(c) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
(d) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
3. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of praise to the sun.
(b) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(c) A song of hope.
(d) A song of despair.
4. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
(a) Bethia's grief over her mother's death.
(b) Bethia's grief over Caleb's death.
(c) Bethia's memories.
(d) A reminder to start the Christmas dinner.
5. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
(b) Go back to the island and not marry.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Marry Noah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
2. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
3. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
4. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
5. Who dies unexpectedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia say about her marriage to Samuel and their trip to Italy?
2. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
3. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
4. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
5. What is Smauel Corlett like?
6. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
7. Describe a little about Anne's life.
8. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
9. What does Bethia say about Caleb and Joel regarding their studies?
10. What are a couple things Bethia does during her first days at the school?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)