|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies unexpectedly?
(a) The wife of the governor.
(b) The married son of the governor.
(c) The youngest, unmarried son of the governor.
(d) The governor.
2. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Caleb has cursed their family.
(b) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(c) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
(d) Of Bethia's behavior.
3. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(a) Distinguished graduate.
4. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(a) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
(b) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
(d) He is waylaid by pirates.
5. About what is Makepeace jealous?
(a) Their father loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(b) Bethia and Caleb's success at learning.
(c) Other men his age have gone off to college.
(d) Their mother loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
2. Why is Bethia sad?
3. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
4. What is wrong with Anne?
5. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
2. How does Bethia help Caleb die with peace and dignity?
3. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
4. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
5. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
6. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
7. Describe a little about Anne's life.
8. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
9. What does Bethia say about her marriage to Samuel and their trip to Italy?
10. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)