|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(b) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
(c) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(d) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
2. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(c) Bethia's grandfather.
(d) No one.
3. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Work as a tutor.
(b) Teach law.
(c) Be a student.
(d) Teach astronomy.
4. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Brief but difficult.
(b) Long but easy.
(c) Brief and easy.
(d) Long and arduous.
5. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(a) Joel's name or anything about him.
(b) Sammuel's tutoring.
(c) Bethia's hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
2. What is wrong with Anne?
3. Who dies unexpectedly?
4. What does Bethia feel the need to do?
5. What does Samuel want Bethia to discontinue doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a little about Anne's life.
2. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
3. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
4. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
5. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
6. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
7. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
8. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
9. What is Smauel Corlett like?
10. What is the time frame when Chapter 1 of this section opens and why is Bethia writing again?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)