|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
(a) In the hayloft.
(b) In the servant's room in the attic.
(c) In a small hut outside.
(d) On a rough bed in the kitchen.
2. Who is nervous and frightened?
(a) The new cook.
(b) The puppy.
3. What does Bethia feel the need to do?
(a) Gain forgiveness from God.
(b) Write a poem about Samuel.
(c) Write one last time.
(d) Write a poem about Caleb.
4. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) He does not want to hear the details.
(c) He sobs for a long time.
(d) He is outraged and decides to return home.
5. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(b) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(c) What she cannot know.
(d) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
2. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
3. What is never mentioned in commencement?
4. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
5. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Makepeace arranged to buy Bethia out of her indenture?
2. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
3. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
4. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
5. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
6. What is the time frame when Chapter 1 of this section opens and why is Bethia writing again?
7. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
8. Why does Bethia tell Caleb to stop calling her Storm Eyes?
9. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
10. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)