|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies unexpectedly?
(a) The married son of the governor.
(b) The governor.
(c) The youngest, unmarried son of the governor.
(d) The wife of the governor.
2. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(b) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
(c) Some sewing that needs completed.
(d) Flowers and a book.
3. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(b) No one.
4. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Find her own heart.
(b) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
(c) Reconsider marriage with him.
(d) Go back to the island.
5. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) The Latin teacher.
(c) The minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
2. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
3. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
4. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
5. What is never mentioned in commencement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
2. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
3. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
4. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
5. Why does Bethia tell Caleb to stop calling her Storm Eyes?
6. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
7. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
8. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
9. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
10. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)