|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
(a) Like they are written by someone else.
2. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(a) No one.
3. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(b) Solace was a bad child.
(c) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(d) Solace was not destined to live long.
4. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Anne Bradstreet.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Aphra Behn.
(d) John Smith.
5. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(a) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
(b) Some sewing that needs completed.
(d) Flowers and a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
2. What is never mentioned in commencement?
3. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
4. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
5. For whom does Bethia watch as the boat sets out for Cambridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
2. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
3. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
4. What happens to Joel on his way to the mainland?
5. How does Bethia help Caleb die with peace and dignity?
6. What is Smauel Corlett like?
7. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
8. Describe a little about Anne's life.
9. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
10. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)