|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) Which man stirs her blood.
(b) Which man would love children the most.
(c) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
(d) If she even wants to marry.
2. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
(a) Bethia's grief over her mother's death.
(b) Bethia's grief over Caleb's death.
(c) A reminder to start the Christmas dinner.
(d) Bethia's memories.
3. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He is very dignified.
(b) He seems right at home.
(c) He seems ill at ease.
(d) He seems detached.
4. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
(b) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(c) Of Bethia's behavior.
(d) Caleb has cursed their family.
5. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(b) Bethia's grandfather.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
2. One is one adjective with which Bethia describes Samuel Corlett?
3. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
4. What does Caleb sing?
5. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
2. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
3. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
4. How does Bethia help Caleb die with peace and dignity?
5. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
6. How has Makepeace arranged to buy Bethia out of her indenture?
7. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
8. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
9. What are a couple things Bethia does during her first days at the school?
10. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)