|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Marry Noah.
(b) Go back to the island and not marry.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
2. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
(a) She comes to realize that she and Caleb cannot marry.
(b) She becomes very ill.
(c) Caleb and Joel are first shunned then welcomed.
(d) She is accosted by one of the last-year students.
3. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Find her own heart.
(b) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
(c) Reconsider marriage with him.
(d) Go back to the island.
4. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(b) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(c) Solace was a bad child.
(d) Solace was not destined to live long.
5. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
(b) Mean spirited.
(c) Short sighted.
(d) Long winded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
2. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
3. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
4. What does Makepeace say he has arranged with the Merry family?
5. One is one adjective with which Bethia describes Samuel Corlett?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
2. How do Caleb and Joel do on their entrance exams?
3. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
4. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
5. How does Bethia help Caleb die with peace and dignity?
6. What does Bethia say about the change in attitude towards Caleb and Joel by the other students?
7. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
8. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
9. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
10. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)