|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
(a) To see if there are any other young men that interest her.
(b) To get away from Samuel.
(c) To get away from Corlett.
(d) To be able to hear the lectures.
2. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of hope.
(b) A song of praise to the sun.
(c) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(d) A song of despair.
3. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A kiln.
(b) A memorial to Mayfield.
(c) A totem.
(d) A fort.
4. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
(a) Mean spirited.
(c) Short sighted.
(d) Long winded.
5. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) She is still robust and well.
(b) She is ostracized from the community.
(c) She is unhappy.
(d) Her health is failing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies unexpectedly?
2. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
3. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
4. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
5. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are arrangements made for Joel to return to Cambridge before the others from the island?
2. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
3. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
4. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
5. Describe a little about Anne's life.
6. What is the time frame when Chapter 1 of this section opens and why is Bethia writing again?
7. What does Bethia say about Caleb and Joel regarding their studies?
8. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
9. What are a couple things Bethia does during her first days at the school?
10. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)