|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
(b) He should have a native Indian wife.
(c) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
(d) He has moved beyond her.
2. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
(a) Jumping from a high tower into the river.
(b) Cutting one's hair short the first year.
(c) Living in the wilderness for a month.
(d) The younger boys serving the older ones.
3. Who dies unexpectedly?
(a) The married son of the governor.
(b) The youngest, unmarried son of the governor.
(c) The wife of the governor.
(d) The governor.
4. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(a) Sammuel's tutoring.
(b) Bethia's hard work.
(d) Joel's name or anything about him.
5. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) If she even wants to marry.
(b) Which man would love children the most.
(c) Which man stirs her blood.
(d) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
2. What does Makepeace think Bethia feels about Caleb?
3. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
4. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
5. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a little about Anne's life.
2. What does Bethia say about Caleb and Joel regarding their studies?
3. Why has Noah Merry come to Cambridge and what news does he bring?
4. What does Bethia say about her marriage to Samuel and their trip to Italy?
5. Why is Caleb still disturbed about the situation with Anne and what does he do?
6. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
7. What does Mayfield's will say about further schooling for Joel, Caleb and Makepeace and how does that affect Bethia?
8. What is surprising about Mayfield's will?
9. What is Smauel Corlett like?
10. What are a couple things Bethia does during her first days at the school?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)