|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
(a) At age 12.
(b) At birth.
(c) At age 10.
(d) At age 15.
2. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the trading post.
(b) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
(c) To the mainland.
(d) To visit an ill cousin.
3. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(a) Bethia's brother.
(d) No one.
4. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
(a) He has no plans or hopes for Caleb.
(b) He will want to marry Bethia.
(c) He will help convert the rest of his people.
(d) He can get in to a university.
5. What happens to Caleb when Noah comes around?
(a) Caleb seems to have things to do elsewhere.
(b) Caleb becomes animated.
(c) Caleb becomes very quiet.
(d) Nothing different from ususal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the sonquem asked of Mayfield?
2. What is the name of Bethia's community?
3. Who are the Wampanoag?
4. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
5. What does Caleb call Bethia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
2. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
3. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
4. What does Bethia say about Caleb's progress with the English language?
5. What happens to Bethia's sister Solace?
6. What is Bethia listening to as she lies in her bed?
7. What does Bethia say about Caleb in this first section?
8. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
9. What does Bethia's say is her current situation when this section opens and why is she going to continue writing?
10. What frustrates Bethia about her life and choices available to her?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)