|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
(a) Enlightened one.
(b) Wise one.
(c) Hateful one.
(d) Strange one.
2. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
(a) Foretell the tragedy that is to come.
(b) Give her time to herself.
(c) Give her a moment to thank God for the day.
(d) Lift her spirits.
3. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
(a) To allow Caleb to determine his own living situation.
(b) To travel back and forth between his village and the White community.
(c) To live in one of the vacated homes in the White community.
(d) To live with the Mayfield family.
4. What is the name of Bethia's new sister?
(c) She died with Bethia's mother.
5. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
(a) Sweet One.
(b) Storm Eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bethia consider her life at this time?
2. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
3. Who is Caleb?
4. How does Bethia see Caleb at this time?
5. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
2. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
3. Why does Caleb say he and Bethia can no longer be friends?
4. What are Bethia's father's plans for Caleb?
5. What is Bethia listening to as she lies in her bed?
6. What happens that evening after Caleb ends his friendship with Bethia that makes Bethia believe she contributes to her mother's death?
7. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
8. What does Caleb think of Bethia's name and how does he express his feelings about it?
9. How does Bethia describe Caleb?
10. What does Bethia say about Caleb in this first section?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)