|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
(a) Back to be with her mother.
(b) Back to the tent where they were staying.
(c) To the school house.
(d) Back to the Merrys.
2. What does Bethia discover about the well?
(a) It's collapsed.
(b) It's been contaminated.
(c) It's gone dry.
3. Why is Bethia envious of Makepeace?
(a) He has a freer life.
(b) He gets to return to the island.
(c) He marries whom he chooses.
(d) He decides to stay in England where he wants to be.
4. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
(a) Tell her Solace is her responsibility
(c) Reassure Bethia.
(d) Search for Solace.
5. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
(a) An elderly neighbor.
(b) The family who owns the bakery.
(c) The preacher's wife.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bethia?
2. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
3. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
4. For what does Bethia long?
5. What does Caleb do for Solace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustrates Bethia about her life and choices available to her?
2. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
3. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
4. What does Bethia say is the reason for the tension between her father and Makepeace, and why is it strange that they are upset with each other?
5. How does the first attempt at the conversion of the sonquem go and what changes that?
6. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
7. What are Bethia's father's plans for Caleb?
8. How does Bethia come to believe she needs to watch her father preach?
9. What does Bethia's say is her current situation when this section opens and why is she going to continue writing?
10. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)