|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(a) Shows her how to swim.
(c) Teaches her about horses.
(d) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
2. Who is Bethia?
(a) The author.
(b) A minor character.
(c) The Mayfield family servant.
(d) The narrator.
3. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
(a) The exile of the Jews.
(b) His speaking of his own language.
(c) That all men desire power over women.
(d) That Caleb is smarter than most white men.
4. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love for her dog.
(b) Love for her brother.
(c) Love for the preacher's boy.
(d) Love of the island.
5. What is Takemmy?
(a) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
(b) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(c) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(d) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bethia explain knowing Wampanoag?
2. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
3. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
4. What does Tequamuck fail to do?
5. What does Bethia discover about the well?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bethia come to believe she needs to watch her father preach?
2. What does Bethia say about Caleb's progress with the English language?
3. What does Bethia's say is her current situation when this section opens and why is she going to continue writing?
4. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
5. How does Bethia describe her life in Cambridge?
6. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
7. Who establishes the colony where Bethia lives and whom does Bethia feel has been wronged?
8. What frustrates Bethia about her life and choices available to her?
9. What are Bethia's father's plans for Caleb?
10. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)