|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
(a) Her life with Caleb.
(b) Her life in Cambridge.
(c) Her life in England.
(d) Her life in Nantucket.
2. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
(a) About the Wampanoag ceremony for manhood.
(b) About marriage to Bethia.
(c) About a Wampanoag girl Noah likes.
(d) About his sister and her brother marrying.
3. Who is Bethia?
(a) A minor character.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The author.
(d) The Mayfield family servant.
4. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
(b) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
(c) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
(d) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
5. When did Bethia's mother die?
(a) When Caleb is born.
(c) Three years earlier.
(d) When Bethia is born.
Short Answer Questions
1. What love does Bethia describe?
2. What is Takemmy?
3. What seems strange to Bethia about the tension between Makepeace and his father?
4. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
5. What does Bethia's name mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bethia describe Caleb?
2. How does Mayfield act in the aftermath of Solace's death?
3. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
4. What does Bethia say is the reason for the tension between her father and Makepeace, and why is it strange that they are upset with each other?
5. What does Tequamuck do as Mayfield prepares to leave for England, and what do some believe is the result of Tequamuck's actions?
6. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
7. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
8. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
9. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
10. Who establishes the colony where Bethia lives and whom does Bethia feel has been wronged?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)