|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does is Caleb introduced to the community?
(a) At a meeting of the parrish on Wednesday evening.
(b) On Friday evening.
(c) At a meeting by the governing elders on Monday.
(d) The Sabbath.
2. Who comes to the Merry mill for help?
(a) Two young Wampanoag.
(b) A young man from the mainland.
3. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the trading post.
(b) To visit an ill cousin.
(c) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
(d) To the mainland.
4. What is the name of Bethia's new sister?
(c) She died with Bethia's mother.
5. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Tell the story of her past.
(b) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(c) Watch over her younger sister.
(d) Avoid marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
2. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
3. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
4. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
5. Why do the Manitouwatootan move closer to Bethia's community?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the effect of Bethia's father's preaching on the Wampanoag.
2. When and how does Bethia's father introduce Caleb to the White settlement?
3. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
4. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
5. What does Caleb think of Bethia's name and how does he express his feelings about it?
6. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
7. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
8. What is Bethia listening to as she lies in her bed?
9. What is Bethia's hope about the time Mayfield will use in converting the native Indians?
10. What does Bethia do that she attributes to Satan's influence and what are the consequences?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)