|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He is sorry her mother died.
(b) He has missed being with her.
(c) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(d) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
2. What does Bethia discover about the well?
(a) It's collapsed.
(b) It's been contaminated.
(d) It's gone dry.
3. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Tell the story of her past.
(b) Avoid marriage.
(c) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(d) Watch over her younger sister.
4. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
(a) They are stricken with smallpox.
(b) They all convert.
(c) They move away from the whites.
(d) They are stricken with malaria.
5. What changes Caleb and Bethia's relationship?
(a) When Caleb becomes a Christina.
(b) When Caleb told Bethia his true name.
(c) Whe Bethia has her menses.
(d) When Bethia told Caleb her true name.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
2. When did Bethia's mother die?
3. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
4. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
5. What does Bethia's name mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Smauel Corlett like?
2. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
3. What does Caleb place in Solace's casket?
4. Describe a little about Anne's life.
5. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
6. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
7. What does Bethia say is the reason for the tension between her father and Makepeace, and why is it strange that they are upset with each other?
8. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
9. How does Mayfield act in the aftermath of Solace's death?
10. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)