|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
(a) To have Caleb read some scripture which he knows thoroughly.
(b) They are merely the passages appointed for the day and have no connection to Caleb's arrival.
(c) To show his parishioners how liberal minded he is.
(d) To demonstrate why Caleb should be welcomed.
2. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Solace is missing.
(b) Makepeace is ill.
(c) Caleb is standing behind her.
(d) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
3. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
(a) No one.
4. Who is Iacoomis?
(a) A Wampanoag who is interested in how the whites farm.
(b) A Wampanoag who teaches the Mayfield family the Wampanoag language.
(c) A Wampanoag who knows how to read and write English.
(d) A Wampanoag native who tried to lead an uprising against the whites.
5. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
2. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
3. What does Noah do the next morning?
4. Why does Bethia say she is so tired in Chapter 11?
5. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bethia's hope about the time Mayfield will use in converting the native Indians?
2. What frustrates Bethia about her life and choices available to her?
3. How does the first attempt at the conversion of the sonquem go and what changes that?
4. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
5. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
6. How does Bethia feel about Solace?
7. What does Bethia do that she attributes to Satan's influence and what are the consequences?
8. How does Mayfield act in the aftermath of Solace's death?
9. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
10. What is Bethia listening to as she lies in her bed?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)