|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Watch over her younger sister.
(b) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(c) Avoid marriage.
(d) Tell the story of her past.
2. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
3. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
(a) She likes to stay busy.
(b) The housekeeper died.
(c) Atonement for sins against her mother.
(d) The housekeeper is ill.
4. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) As Elder Mother.
(b) As Grandmother.
(c) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
(d) In the Wampanoag language.
5. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
(a) To the school house.
(b) Back to the Merrys.
(c) Back to the tent where they were staying.
(d) Back to be with her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
2. Who is Bethia?
3. With whom does Caleb develop a close friendship over time?
4. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach?
5. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
2. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
3. What is Bethia listening to as she lies in her bed?
4. How does Bethia feel about Solace?
5. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
6. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
7. What does Tequamuck do as Mayfield prepares to leave for England, and what do some believe is the result of Tequamuck's actions?
8. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
9. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
10. What does Bethia say is the reason for the tension between her father and Makepeace, and why is it strange that they are upset with each other?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)