|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
(a) They all convert.
(b) They are stricken with malaria.
(c) They are stricken with smallpox.
(d) They move away from the whites.
2. Why does Bethia say she will continue to do what she has been doing?
(a) In order to understand herself better.
(b) She thinks the rights of the Native population are being denied.
(c) So she can remain independent.
(d) Her younger sister is a little bit of an hysteric.
3. Why is there tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Makepeace wants to marry someone his father does not want him to marry.
(b) Makepeace wants to start his family.
(c) About having Caleb in the house when Bethia is so young.
(d) Makepeace wants to go back to England to college.
4. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
(a) The housekeeper is ill.
(b) The housekeeper died.
(c) Atonement for sins against her mother.
(d) She likes to stay busy.
5. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Solace is missing.
(b) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(c) Caleb is standing behind her.
(d) Makepeace is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
2. What do the visitors ask?
3. What has the sonquem asked of Mayfield?
4. When does Bethia expect punishment for her sins?
5. What is the name of Bethia's new sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bethia describe Caleb?
2. What are Bethia's father's plans for Caleb?
3. How does Bethia feel about Solace?
4. What does Bethia say about Caleb's progress with the English language?
5. What does Bethia say about Caleb in this first section?
6. Describe a little about Anne's life.
7. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
8. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
9. What is Bethia's hope about the time Mayfield will use in converting the native Indians?
10. What does Bethia say is the reason for the tension between her father and Makepeace, and why is it strange that they are upset with each other?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)