|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Noah Merry?
(a) The brother of Bethia's best friend.
(b) A young, white man who kills a Wampanoag in a dispute.
(c) Another White who thinks the Wampanoag are being mistreated.
(d) A merchant's son and possible husband for Bethia.
2. Who is Caleb?
(a) The Mayfield groom.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Bethia's oldest brother.
(d) A native American young man.
3. How does Bethia consider her life at this time?
4. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
(a) It's not good for a pretty girl.
(b) She can never learn too much.
(c) She needs to be careful in what she studies.
(d) Bethia has learned too much already and is not desirable as a bride.
5. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
(b) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
(c) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
(d) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
2. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
3. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
4. What do the visitors ask?
5. Who is Bethia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
2. What does Bethia say about Caleb in this first section?
3. What happens when Bethia returns to where the Wampanoag are dancing?
4. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
5. How does Bethia come to believe she needs to watch her father preach?
6. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
7. Who establishes the colony where Bethia lives and whom does Bethia feel has been wronged?
8. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
9. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
10. Why do Caleb, Joel and Bethia believe they need to get Ann to the island?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)