|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) About having Caleb in the house when Bethia is so young.
(b) Makepeace wants to start his family.
(c) Makepeace wants to go back to England to college.
(d) Makepeace wants to marry someone his father does not want him to marry.
2. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(b) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(c) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
(d) Because of Caleb's arrival.
3. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
(a) Sips out of the gourd.
(c) Tries to wake him.
(d) Finds Caleb to ask about Tequamuck.
4. With whom is Bethia's father arguing?
(a) Bethia's mother.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The precher.
(d) Bethia's brother.
5. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Tell the story of her past.
(b) Avoid marriage.
(c) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(d) Watch over her younger sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Iacoomis?
2. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
3. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
4. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
5. Who is Bethia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
2. What are Bethia's father's plans for Caleb?
3. Why does Caleb say he and Bethia can no longer be friends?
4. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
5. How does Bethia feel about Solace?
6. What is Bethia listening to as she lies in her bed?
7. What does Bethia say about Caleb in this first section?
8. When and how does Bethia's father introduce Caleb to the White settlement?
9. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
10. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)