|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
(a) He has no plans or hopes for Caleb.
(b) He will help convert the rest of his people.
(c) He can get in to a university.
(d) He will want to marry Bethia.
2. What is a pawaaw?
(a) A fire keeper.
(b) A light keeper.
(c) Spiritual leader.
(d) A storyteller.
3. What do the visitors ask?
(a) For help in curing a visiting elder.
(b) Some food.
(c) To take Bethia back home.
(d) To see Bethia's father.
4. What is Bethia doing when she comes upon a group of Wampanoag dancing?
(a) Gathering mushrooms.
(b) Gathering herbs.
(c) She is lost in the woods.
(d) Searching for firewood.
5. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Her baby sister's habits.
(b) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
(c) Her current situation.
(d) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
2. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
3. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
4. What does Tequamuck do with a gourd?
5. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mayfield act in the aftermath of Solace's death?
2. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
3. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
4. When and how does Bethia's father introduce Caleb to the White settlement?
5. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
6. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
7. Who establishes the colony where Bethia lives and whom does Bethia feel has been wronged?
8. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
9. What does Bethia say about her two brothers and what her father says about females?
10. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)