|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
(b) In the Wampanoag language.
(c) As Grandmother.
(d) As Elder Mother.
2. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
(b) Storm Eyes.
(d) Sweet One.
3. What does Tequamuck do with a gourd?
(a) Pour water from it as an offering.
(b) Smash it in a ceremony.
(d) Drink a foul-smelling liquid out of it.
4. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
(a) Solace is old enough to care for herself.
(c) Makepeace or her father.
(d) The housekeeper.
5. What has the sonquem asked of Mayfield?
(a) For some of his medicine.
(b) For Makepeace to learn the ways of the Wampanoag.
(c) Instruction in becoming a Christian.
(d) For Caleb to marry Bethia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
2. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
3. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
4. What do the visitors ask?
5. What happens to Caleb when Noah comes around?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first attempt at the conversion of the sonquem go and what changes that?
2. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
3. What happens that evening after Caleb ends his friendship with Bethia that makes Bethia believe she contributes to her mother's death?
4. How does Bethia feel about Solace?
5. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
6. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
7. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
8. What does Tequamuck do as Mayfield prepares to leave for England, and what do some believe is the result of Tequamuck's actions?
9. How does Mayfield act in the aftermath of Solace's death?
10. Why does Caleb say he and Bethia can no longer be friends?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)