|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
(a) When she is dancing with the Wampanoag.
(b) When she is sitting on the cliff overlooking the ocean.
(c) When she is singing by herself in the forest.
(d) When she looks deeply into Caleb's eyes.
2. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
(a) Go to the mainland to minister to a small settlement there.
(b) Meet with the Merry family.
(c) Meet with the Wampanoag tribal council.
(d) Officiate at the wedding of his daughter.
3. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love for the preacher's boy.
(b) Love for her brother.
(c) Love of the island.
(d) Love for her dog.
4. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
(a) Return a book she had borrowed.
(b) Take some medicine to a Wampanoag woman.
(c) Harvest some beans.
(d) Find her father.
5. With what kind of influence are the arguers concerned the new guest will bring?
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
2. What happens to Caleb when Noah comes around?
3. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
4. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
5. When does Bethia expect punishment for her sins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
2. What happens that evening after Caleb ends his friendship with Bethia that makes Bethia believe she contributes to her mother's death?
3. What does Bethia do that she attributes to Satan's influence and what are the consequences?
4. What does Bethia's say is her current situation when this section opens and why is she going to continue writing?
5. What happens when Bethia returns to where the Wampanoag are dancing?
6. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
7. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
8. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
9. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
10. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)