Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
(a) Find her father.
(b) Return a book she had borrowed.
(c) Take some medicine to a Wampanoag woman.
(d) Harvest some beans.
2. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
(a) Her mother did not fear death.
(b) Her mother will not go to heaven.
(c) Bethia thinks she is to blame for the death.
(d) Her mother wanted to die.
3. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
(a) She thinks her father is being premature.
(b) She knows the Wampanoag girl and thinks Noah will hurt her.
(c) She thinks Noah's sister is the wrong person for her brother.
(d) She has not been given a choice.
4. Why does Bethia say she is so tired in Chapter 11?
(a) From doing her mother's work as well as her own.
(b) From lying awake for several nights writing her confession.
(c) From running back and forth between the fields and the kitchen.
(d) She does not know why she is so tired.
5. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(b) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(c) Because of Caleb's arrival.
(d) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
2. Where is Solace found?
3. Why is Mayfield traveling to England?
4. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
5. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
2. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
3. How does Bethia describe her life in Cambridge?
4. When and how does Bethia's father introduce Caleb to the White settlement?
5. Why is Bethia relieved when they board a vesself for Cambridge, and how is her first day there?
6. What happens to Bethia's sister Solace?
7. Why does Caleb say he and Bethia can no longer be friends?
8. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
9. Describe the argument Bethia and Makepeace become embroiled in one day at the memorial for their father.
10. What does Tequamuck do as Mayfield prepares to leave for England, and what do some believe is the result of Tequamuck's actions?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)