|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
(a) No one.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
2. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
(a) That Caleb is smarter than most white men.
(b) That all men desire power over women.
(c) The exile of the Jews.
(d) His speaking of his own language.
3. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
(a) They are stricken with malaria.
(b) They are stricken with smallpox.
(c) They move away from the whites.
(d) They all convert.
4. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(b) Caleb is standing behind her.
(c) Makepeace is ill.
(d) Solace is missing.
5. What has the sonquem asked of Mayfield?
(a) Instruction in becoming a Christian.
(b) For some of his medicine.
(c) For Makepeace to learn the ways of the Wampanoag.
(d) For Caleb to marry Bethia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
2. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
3. What seems strange to Bethia about the tension between Makepeace and his father?
4. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
5. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia say about her two brothers and what her father says about females?
2. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
3. How has Makepeace arranged to buy Bethia out of her indenture?
4. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
5. What does Caleb think of Bethia's name and how does he express his feelings about it?
6. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
7. What does Tequamuck do as Mayfield prepares to leave for England, and what do some believe is the result of Tequamuck's actions?
8. What does Bethia say about Caleb's progress with the English language?
9. What does Bethia's say is her current situation when this section opens and why is she going to continue writing?
10. What is Bethia's hope about the time Mayfield will use in converting the native Indians?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)