|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He has missed being with her.
(b) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(c) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
(d) He is sorry her mother died.
2. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
(b) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
(c) Show Bethia the farm.
(d) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
3. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
(a) Her life in England.
(b) Her life in Nantucket.
(c) Her life in Cambridge.
(d) Her life with Caleb.
4. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
(d) Camping grounds.
5. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
(d) Prepares some beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
2. What do the visitors ask?
3. Who is Iacoomis?
4. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
5. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
2. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
3. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
4. How does Bethia come to believe she needs to watch her father preach?
5. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
6. What are Bethia's father's plans for Caleb?
7. What does Caleb place in Solace's casket?
8. Who establishes the colony where Bethia lives and whom does Bethia feel has been wronged?
9. How does the first attempt at the conversion of the sonquem go and what changes that?
10. What does Tequamuck do as Mayfield prepares to leave for England, and what do some believe is the result of Tequamuck's actions?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)