|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does is Caleb introduced to the community?
(a) The Sabbath.
(b) At a meeting of the parrish on Wednesday evening.
(c) On Friday evening.
(d) At a meeting by the governing elders on Monday.
2. Who is Bethia?
(a) The author.
(b) The Mayfield family servant.
(c) The narrator.
(d) A minor character.
3. With whom does Caleb agree to study?
(b) No one.
(d) Makepeace and Joel.
4. What happens to Caleb when Noah comes around?
(a) Caleb seems to have things to do elsewhere.
(b) Caleb becomes animated.
(c) Nothing different from ususal.
(d) Caleb becomes very quiet.
5. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Makepeace is ill.
(b) Caleb is standing behind her.
(c) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(d) Solace is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Noah do the next morning?
2. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach?
3. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
4. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
5. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
2. What happens to Bethia's sister Solace?
3. What does Bethia's say is her current situation when this section opens and why is she going to continue writing?
4. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
5. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
6. How does the first attempt at the conversion of the sonquem go and what changes that?
7. What are Bethia's father's plans for Caleb?
8. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
9. What does Bethia say about Caleb in this first section?
10. Where do Bethia's father and grandfather invite Bethia along and what is the purpose of their visit?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)