|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
(a) He will want to marry Bethia.
(b) He can get in to a university.
(c) He will help convert the rest of his people.
(d) He has no plans or hopes for Caleb.
2. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
(a) Tell her Solace is her responsibility
(c) Search for Solace.
(d) Reassure Bethia.
3. When does Bethia expect punishment for her sins?
(b) Not in her present world.
(c) Only if her father learns of her sin.
(d) She does not say.
4. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
(a) No one.
(b) The preacher's wife.
(c) The family who owns the bakery.
(d) An elderly neighbor.
5. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
(a) They are stricken with malaria.
(b) They move away from the whites.
(c) They are stricken with smallpox.
(d) They all convert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach?
2. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
3. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
4. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
5. What is the name of Bethia's new sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that evening after Caleb ends his friendship with Bethia that makes Bethia believe she contributes to her mother's death?
2. Who establishes the colony where Bethia lives and whom does Bethia feel has been wronged?
3. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
4. What happens to Bethia's sister Solace?
5. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
6. What is Bethia's hope about the time Mayfield will use in converting the native Indians?
7. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
8. How does Bethia describe her life in Cambridge?
9. When and how does Bethia's father introduce Caleb to the White settlement?
10. How does Bethia describe Caleb?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)