|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
(a) Hateful one.
(b) Enlightened one.
(c) Wise one.
(d) Strange one.
2. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
(a) The housekeeper died.
(b) She likes to stay busy.
(c) Atonement for sins against her mother.
(d) The housekeeper is ill.
3. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the mainland.
(b) To visit an ill cousin.
(c) To the trading post.
(d) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
4. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
(b) Storm Eyes.
(c) Sweet One.
5. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
(a) Search for Solace.
(b) Reassure Bethia.
(d) Tell her Solace is her responsibility
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
2. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
3. What does Bethia say she feels about the Wampanoag?
4. Who is Iacoomis?
5. For what does Bethia long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustrates Bethia about her life and choices available to her?
2. What does Bethia say about Caleb in this first section?
3. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
4. How does Mayfield act in the aftermath of Solace's death?
5. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
6. Who establishes the colony where Bethia lives and whom does Bethia feel has been wronged?
7. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
8. What happens when Bethia returns to where the Wampanoag are dancing?
9. How does Bethia describe Caleb?
10. What does Caleb think of Bethia's name and how does he express his feelings about it?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)