|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
(a) Lift her spirits.
(b) Give her a moment to thank God for the day.
(c) Give her time to herself.
(d) Foretell the tragedy that is to come.
2. Why does Bethia say she will continue to do what she has been doing?
(a) She thinks the rights of the Native population are being denied.
(b) Her younger sister is a little bit of an hysteric.
(c) So she can remain independent.
(d) In order to understand herself better.
3. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
(a) She thinks Noah's sister is the wrong person for her brother.
(b) She knows the Wampanoag girl and thinks Noah will hurt her.
(c) She has not been given a choice.
(d) She thinks her father is being premature.
4. What is a pawaaw?
(a) A fire keeper.
(b) Spiritual leader.
(c) A light keeper.
(d) A storyteller.
5. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
(a) There is a someone to take care of the horses.
(b) She thought he was going to adopt Christianity.
(c) Her father had asked Caleb to forgo Shamic training for now.
(d) Most of the White men do not swim.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bethia explain knowing Wampanoag?
2. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
3. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
4. What seems strange to Bethia about the tension between Makepeace and his father?
5. What does Noah do the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb explain his early morning greeting to the sun god?
2. How does Bethia describe her life in Cambridge?
3. What is Bethia listening to as she lies in her bed?
4. What does Bethia say is the reason for the tension between her father and Makepeace, and why is it strange that they are upset with each other?
5. What does Bethia say about the situations in her family's life at this time?
6. How does Bethia describe Caleb?
7. When and how does Bethia's father introduce Caleb to the White settlement?
8. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
9. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
10. What happens to Bethia's sister Solace?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)