|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
(a) Enlightened one.
(b) Wise one.
(c) Hateful one.
(d) Strange one.
2. What is Takemmy?
(a) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(b) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
(c) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(d) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
3. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
(a) She has not been given a choice.
(b) She thinks Noah's sister is the wrong person for her brother.
(c) She thinks her father is being premature.
(d) She knows the Wampanoag girl and thinks Noah will hurt her.
4. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) The mayor's family.
(b) The school teacher's famly.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandfather.
5. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(b) Watch over her younger sister.
(c) Avoid marriage.
(d) Tell the story of her past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
2. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
3. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
4. What does Bethia say she feels about the Wampanoag?
5. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bethia returns to where the Wampanoag are dancing?
2. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach and how does Bethia feel about the situation?
3. What does Bethia do that she attributes to Satan's influence and what are the consequences?
4. What does Bethia say about Caleb's progress with the English language?
5. Why does Bethia work so hard on her chores?
6. What frustrates Bethia about her life and choices available to her?
7. When and how does Bethia's father introduce Caleb to the White settlement?
8. Describe the effect of Bethia's father's preaching on the Wampanoag.
9. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
10. What is Bethia's father's dealings with the Wampanoag, and how does Bethia learn their language?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)