|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Noah Merry?
(a) Another White who thinks the Wampanoag are being mistreated.
(b) The brother of Bethia's best friend.
(c) A young, white man who kills a Wampanoag in a dispute.
(d) A merchant's son and possible husband for Bethia.
2. What is a pawaaw?
(a) A fire keeper.
(b) A storyteller.
(c) Spiritual leader.
(d) A light keeper.
3. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
4. What does Bethia say she often does?
(a) Wishes she were a man.
(b) Wishes she had never taken a sip from the gourd.
(c) Talk to her Mother as if she were right there.
(d) Breaks down in tears of grief.
5. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
(b) Sweet One.
(c) Storm Eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the sonquem asked of Mayfield?
2. How does Bethia explain knowing Wampanoag?
3. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
4. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
5. What does Tequamuck do with a gourd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noah show Bethia the next morning and what is her reaction?
2. How does Bethia come to believe she needs to watch her father preach?
3. Why does Caleb say he and Bethia can no longer be friends?
4. Where is Bethia sent and what are the aftereffects of her drinking out of the gourd?
5. What does Caleb place in Solace's casket?
6. How does Mayfield act in the aftermath of Solace's death?
7. What does Tequamuck do as Mayfield prepares to leave for England, and what do some believe is the result of Tequamuck's actions?
8. What does Bethia say about Caleb's progress with the English language?
9. What does Bethia say about the influence of Cambridge on Caleb?
10. What does Bethia say about her two brothers and what her father says about females?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)