|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Caleb agree to study?
(a) No one.
(c) Makepeace and Joel.
2. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
(a) Nausea and then unconsciousness.
(b) Severe anxiety.
(c) A feeling of euphoria.
3. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
(b) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
(c) Show Bethia the farm.
(d) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
4. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
(a) They are merely the passages appointed for the day and have no connection to Caleb's arrival.
(b) To have Caleb read some scripture which he knows thoroughly.
(c) To demonstrate why Caleb should be welcomed.
(d) To show his parishioners how liberal minded he is.
5. What does Bethia at first consider outlandish about what Caleb tells her?
(a) Their gods live everywhere.
(b) He is in exile from his people though he lives with them.
(c) He will never marry.
(d) The many gods of the Wampanoag.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
2. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
3. What does Bethia pretend when she is with her father?
4. Who is Caleb?
5. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bethia's father say about the sonquem when Mayfield returns to the Merry home?
2. What does Bethia do that she attributes to Satan's influence and what are the consequences?
3. Why is Samuel's marriage proposal to Bethia interrupted, and what how does Bethia handle the situation.
4. Why does Caleb say he and Bethia can no longer be friends?
5. What does Bethia do in order to help Caleb when he is dying?
6. What is Smauel Corlett like?
7. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
8. How does the first attempt at the conversion of the sonquem go and what changes that?
9. What does Bethia say to Corlett about applying for a position at another school and what is his response?
10. What does Bethia say about her two brothers and what her father says about females?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)