|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(b) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
(c) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(d) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
2. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Escape back to the island.
(b) Marry Joel.
(c) Drop out of school for a while.
(d) Marry Caleb.
3. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(c) Distinguished graduate.
4. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
(a) He designates Bethia as his principle heir.
(b) He leaves two important books to Bethia.
(c) He has left Caleb out of the will.
(d) He leaves Caleb money for college.
5. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(a) Bethia's hard work.
(c) Sammuel's tutoring.
(d) Joel's name or anything about him.
6. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(b) Some sewing that needs completed.
(c) Flowers and a book.
(d) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
7. What is wrong with Anne?
(a) She is having a miscarriage.
(b) She broke her arm.
(c) She has smallpox.
(d) She was beaten by one of the male students.
8. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
(a) The pain of her daughter dying.
(b) The pain of hell.
(c) The pain of Samuel dying.
(d) The pain of answering to God for her sins.
9. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A totem.
(b) A memorial to Mayfield.
(c) A kiln.
(d) A fort.
10. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Long and arduous.
(b) Long but easy.
(c) Brief and easy.
(d) Brief but difficult.
11. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
(a) Early hours.
(b) Chapped hands.
(c) Arrogant students.
(d) Bed lice.
12. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
(a) The wealthy widow Makepeace marries.
(b) He is unable to go to Italy as he wished.
(c) A Duke in Italy pays his way.
(d) The entire community collects money to pay his way.
13. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) John Smith.
(b) Aphra Behn.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Anne Bradstreet.
14. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Runs after her and kisses her.
(b) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
(d) Says she will marry him no matter what.
15. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(c) No one.
(d) Bethia's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
2. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
3. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
4. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
5. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)