|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
(a) Help cut wood for the kiln.
(b) Go to pray for their father at the church.
(c) Help with the fort.
(d) Visit the memorial.
2. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Aphra Behn.
(c) John Smith.
(d) Anne Bradstreet.
3. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) Which man would love children the most.
(b) Which man stirs her blood.
(c) If she even wants to marry.
(d) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
4. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(a) Offer to marry Anne.
(c) Ask Anne her opinion.
(d) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
5. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(a) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(b) She has to marry within a month.
(c) She has to come back and work for one year.
6. What does Bethia feel the need to do?
(a) Write one last time.
(b) Write a poem about Samuel.
(c) Write a poem about Caleb.
(d) Gain forgiveness from God.
7. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) She is ostracized from the community.
(b) Her health is failing.
(c) She is unhappy.
(d) She is still robust and well.
8. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To get the rest of her books.
(b) To get Anne.
(c) To see her brother's new child.
(d) To ask Tequamuck's help.
9. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(b) No one.
10. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A totem.
(b) A fort.
(c) A kiln.
(d) A memorial to Mayfield.
11. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) What she cannot know.
(b) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(c) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(d) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
12. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
(a) Long winded.
(b) Short sighted.
(c) Mean spirited.
13. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(a) Distinguished graduate.
14. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she loves Noah.
(b) If she wants to go back to the island.
(c) For Bethia to marry him.
(d) If she loves Caleb.
15. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He loves another woman.
(b) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(c) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
(d) He believes woman are equal to men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
2. Why is Bethia sad?
3. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
4. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
5. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)