|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
(a) No one as he is not yet ready to do so.
(b) A committee.
(d) President Chauncy.
2. What does Makepeace say he has arranged with the Merry family?
(a) To buy out Bethia's indentureship.
(b) To continue the work with the natives.
(c) To run the Mayfield farm.
(d) To start preaching on Sundays.
3. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(b) He does not want to hear the details.
(c) He says nothing.
(d) He sobs for a long time.
4. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(b) No one.
5. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(a) Flowers and a book.
(c) Some sewing that needs completed.
(d) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
6. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
(b) He loves another woman.
(c) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(d) He believes woman are equal to men.
7. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(b) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
(c) He is waylaid by pirates.
(d) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
8. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she wants to go back to the island.
(b) For Bethia to marry him.
(c) If she loves Caleb.
(d) If she loves Noah.
9. Who dies unexpectedly?
(a) The wife of the governor.
(b) The married son of the governor.
(c) The youngest, unmarried son of the governor.
(d) The governor.
10. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Standing up to her brother.
(b) How to catch a rabbit.
(c) Standing up to Corlett.
(d) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
11. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(b) No one.
12. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(a) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
(b) They will continue as a strong nation.
13. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) The professor of classics.
(b) No one.
(c) A drunk who hates native Indians.
(d) An elderly, kind gentleman.
14. For whom does Bethia watch as the boat sets out for Cambridge?
(b) Her grandfather.
(d) Her best friend.
15. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
(b) He has moved beyond her.
(c) He should have a native Indian wife.
(d) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Anne?
2. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
3. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
4. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
5. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)