|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
(a) To take Anne to be with Caleb.
(b) To help Sammuel's dying father.
(c) For the commencement.
(d) To take Caleb news from the island.
2. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(c) No one.
3. What does Samuel want Bethia to discontinue doing?
(a) Defending the natives.
(b) Studying so much.
(c) Seeing Noah.
(d) Working in the kitchen.
4. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
(b) The Latin teacher.
(c) The head housekeeper.
(d) The minister.
5. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
(c) Like they are written by someone else.
6. One is one adjective with which Bethia describes Samuel Corlett?
7. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) If she even wants to marry.
(b) Which man would love children the most.
(c) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
(d) Which man stirs her blood.
8. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
(a) Like a wife.
(b) Like a brother.
(c) Like a student.
(d) Like a mentor.
9. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Of Bethia's behavior.
(b) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
(c) Caleb has cursed their family.
(d) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
10. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
(b) Says she will marry him no matter what.
(c) Runs after her and kisses her.
11. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Be a student.
(b) Teach law.
(c) Teach astronomy.
(d) Work as a tutor.
12. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A memorial to Mayfield.
(b) A totem.
(c) A kiln.
(d) A fort.
13. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
(a) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry John Smith.
(b) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry Noah.
(c) How changed Caleb really is.
(d) If their father would want Makepeace to go to England.
14. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
(a) Help cut wood for the kiln.
(b) Visit the memorial.
(c) Go to pray for their father at the church.
(d) Help with the fort.
15. What does Makepeace think Bethia feels about Caleb?
(a) She feels superior to him.
(b) She feels Caleb is better than Makepeace.
(c) She feels Caleb should go back to his tribe.
(d) She lusts for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is never mentioned in commencement?
2. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
3. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
4. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
5. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)