|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He believes woman are equal to men.
(b) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
(c) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(d) He loves another woman.
2. Who is nervous and frightened?
(a) The new cook.
(c) The puppy.
3. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Of Bethia's behavior.
(b) Caleb has cursed their family.
(c) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
(d) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
4. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(b) They will continue as a strong nation.
(c) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
5. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Standing up to Corlett.
(b) Standing up to her brother.
(c) How to catch a rabbit.
(d) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
6. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(a) No one.
7. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Says she will marry him no matter what.
(b) Runs after her and kisses her.
(c) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
8. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
(a) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry Noah.
(b) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry John Smith.
(c) How changed Caleb really is.
(d) If their father would want Makepeace to go to England.
9. What is wrong with Anne?
(a) She has smallpox.
(b) She broke her arm.
(c) She is having a miscarriage.
(d) She was beaten by one of the male students.
10. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) He does not want to hear the details.
(c) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(d) He sobs for a long time.
11. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
(a) To the church.
(b) To the library.
(c) To a secret glade in the woods.
(d) To a fair.
12. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
(a) In a small hut outside.
(b) On a rough bed in the kitchen.
(c) In the hayloft.
(d) In the servant's room in the attic.
13. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
(a) Writing a letter.
(b) Coughing droplets of blood into his hankerchief.
(c) Painting his face.
(d) Staring off into the distance.
14. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
(a) From writing.
(b) From kneeling in her garden.
(c) From bending over her garden.
(d) From walking up the staris.
15. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
(a) Bed lice.
(b) Arrogant students.
(c) Chapped hands.
(d) Early hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
2. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
3. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
4. How is the journey to Cambridge?
5. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)