|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To get Anne.
(b) To get the rest of her books.
(c) To ask Tequamuck's help.
(d) To see her brother's new child.
2. One is one adjective with which Bethia describes Samuel Corlett?
3. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems ill at ease.
(b) He seems right at home.
(c) He is very dignified.
(d) He seems detached.
4. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
(a) Bethia's grief over Caleb's death.
(b) A reminder to start the Christmas dinner.
(c) Bethia's grief over her mother's death.
(d) Bethia's memories.
5. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Standing up to Corlett.
(b) How to catch a rabbit.
(c) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
(d) Standing up to her brother.
6. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(b) Of Bethia's behavior.
(c) Caleb has cursed their family.
(d) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
7. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Aphra Behn.
(b) John Smith.
(c) Anne Bradstreet.
(d) Her grandfather.
8. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(b) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(c) What she cannot know.
(d) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
9. Whom does Anne marry?
(a) No one.
(d) Caleb's brother.
10. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(b) No one.
11. What is wrong with Anne?
(a) She has smallpox.
(b) She was beaten by one of the male students.
(c) She broke her arm.
(d) She is having a miscarriage.
12. For whom does Bethia watch as the boat sets out for Cambridge?
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her grandfather.
13. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Find her own heart.
(b) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
(c) Go back to the island.
(d) Reconsider marriage with him.
14. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) Which man would love children the most.
(b) Which man stirs her blood.
(c) If she even wants to marry.
(d) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
15. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(a) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
(b) Ask Anne her opinion.
(d) Offer to marry Anne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
2. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
3. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
4. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
5. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)