|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(a) Bethia's grandfather.
(b) No one.
2. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(b) No one.
3. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) An elderly, kind gentleman.
(b) The professor of classics.
(c) A drunk who hates native Indians.
(d) No one.
4. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) Her health is failing.
(b) She is unhappy.
(c) She is still robust and well.
(d) She is ostracized from the community.
5. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A memorial to Mayfield.
(b) A kiln.
(c) A fort.
(d) A totem.
6. Whom does Anne marry?
(a) Caleb's brother.
(c) No one.
7. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
(a) He leaves two important books to Bethia.
(b) He has left Caleb out of the will.
(c) He leaves Caleb money for college.
(d) He designates Bethia as his principle heir.
8. For whom does Bethia watch as the boat sets out for Cambridge?
(a) Her grandfather.
(d) Her best friend.
9. Who is John Harvard?
(a) The man who endowed the library.
(b) The classics professor.
(c) The mathematics professor.
(d) The Latin and Greek professor.
10. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
(c) Says she will marry him no matter what.
(d) Runs after her and kisses her.
11. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Marry Joel.
(b) Escape back to the island.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Drop out of school for a while.
12. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He loves another woman.
(b) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
(c) He believes woman are equal to men.
(d) He believes woman are inferior to men.
13. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
(a) Visit the memorial.
(b) Help cut wood for the kiln.
(c) Help with the fort.
(d) Go to pray for their father at the church.
14. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
(a) The pain of hell.
(b) The pain of her daughter dying.
(c) The pain of answering to God for her sins.
(d) The pain of Samuel dying.
15. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(b) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(c) She has to come back and work for one year.
(d) She has to marry within a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
2. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
3. What is never mentioned in commencement?
4. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
5. When did Anne's parents die?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)