|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Anne marry?
(a) No one.
(c) Caleb's brother.
2. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
(b) Go back to the island and not marry.
(c) Marry Noah.
(d) Marry Caleb.
3. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(b) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(c) Solace was a bad child.
(d) Solace was not destined to live long.
4. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
(a) Chapped hands.
(b) Arrogant students.
(c) Bed lice.
(d) Early hours.
5. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Caleb has cursed their family.
(b) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(c) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
(d) Of Bethia's behavior.
6. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
(a) To get away from Corlett.
(b) To be able to hear the lectures.
(c) To get away from Samuel.
(d) To see if there are any other young men that interest her.
7. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(d) No one.
8. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(a) Sammuel's tutoring.
(b) Joel's name or anything about him.
(c) Bethia's hard work.
9. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A totem.
(b) A fort.
(c) A memorial to Mayfield.
(d) A kiln.
10. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Standing up to Corlett.
(b) Standing up to her brother.
(c) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
(d) How to catch a rabbit.
11. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
(b) Reconsider marriage with him.
(c) Find her own heart.
(d) Go back to the island.
12. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
(a) In the servant's room in the attic.
(b) In a small hut outside.
(c) On a rough bed in the kitchen.
(d) In the hayloft.
13. Who is nervous and frightened?
(a) The puppy.
(d) The new cook.
14. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of praise to the sun.
(b) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(c) A song of despair.
(d) A song of hope.
15. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(a) She has to come back and work for one year.
(b) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(d) She has to marry within a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Anne?
2. Why is Bethia sad?
3. Who dies unexpectedly?
4. When did Anne's parents die?
5. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)