|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Says she will marry him no matter what.
(c) Runs after her and kisses her.
(d) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
2. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He loves another woman.
(b) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(c) He believes woman are equal to men.
(d) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
3. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(b) No one.
4. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
(a) No one as he is not yet ready to do so.
(b) A committee.
(c) President Chauncy.
5. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
(a) Cutting one's hair short the first year.
(b) Jumping from a high tower into the river.
(c) Living in the wilderness for a month.
(d) The younger boys serving the older ones.
6. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(a) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
(d) They will continue as a strong nation.
7. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems ill at ease.
(b) He seems detached.
(c) He seems right at home.
(d) He is very dignified.
8. When did Anne's parents die?
(a) They are not dead.
(b) Just recently on a boat that sinks.
(c) When she is a child.
(d) When Anne is fifteen.
9. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
(a) She sees him coming back late at night.
(b) She sees him in the chapel for hours.
(c) She sees him arguing with Corlett.
(d) She sees him go out with a blackened face.
10. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(b) She has to marry within a month.
(c) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(d) She has to come back and work for one year.
11. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Teach law.
(b) Teach astronomy.
(c) Work as a tutor.
(d) Be a student.
12. Whom does Anne marry?
(b) No one.
(c) Caleb's brother.
13. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
(b) Marry Noah.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Go back to the island and not marry.
14. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
(a) Bethia as an indentured servant.
(b) There are no strings attached.
(c) An agreement from Joel and Caleb.
(d) All of Pastor Mayfield's library.
15. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
(a) The pain of her daughter dying.
(b) The pain of hell.
(c) The pain of answering to God for her sins.
(d) The pain of Samuel dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
2. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
3. Who dies unexpectedly?
4. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
5. What is never mentioned in commencement?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)