|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
(a) She sees him coming back late at night.
(b) She sees him in the chapel for hours.
(c) She sees him go out with a blackened face.
(d) She sees him arguing with Corlett.
2. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
(a) Caleb and Joel are first shunned then welcomed.
(b) She becomes very ill.
(c) She comes to realize that she and Caleb cannot marry.
(d) She is accosted by one of the last-year students.
3. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A memorial to Mayfield.
(b) A totem.
(c) A kiln.
(d) A fort.
4. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(a) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
(c) Ask Anne her opinion.
(d) Offer to marry Anne.
5. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Go back to the island.
(b) Find her own heart.
(c) Reconsider marriage with him.
(d) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
6. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(a) Bethia's grandfather.
(b) No one.
7. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Standing up to her brother.
(b) Standing up to Corlett.
(c) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
(d) How to catch a rabbit.
8. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A young native woman named Anne.
(b) A new cook.
(c) A kitchen scullery boy.
(d) A new puppy.
9. Whom does Anne marry?
(c) No one.
(d) Caleb's brother.
10. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He does not want to hear the details.
(b) He sobs for a long time.
(c) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(d) He says nothing.
11. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(b) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
(c) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(d) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
12. When did Anne's parents die?
(a) They are not dead.
(b) Just recently on a boat that sinks.
(c) When she is a child.
(d) When Anne is fifteen.
13. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(b) Distinguished graduate.
14. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
(a) Help cut wood for the kiln.
(b) Go to pray for their father at the church.
(c) Visit the memorial.
(d) Help with the fort.
15. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Says she will marry him no matter what.
(b) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
(d) Runs after her and kisses her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies unexpectedly?
2. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
3. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
4. About what is Makepeace jealous?
5. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)