|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Standing up to Corlett.
(b) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
(c) Standing up to her brother.
(d) How to catch a rabbit.
2. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
(b) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(c) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(d) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
3. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(b) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(c) Solace was not destined to live long.
(d) Solace was a bad child.
4. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(a) They will continue as a strong nation.
(d) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
5. Who is nervous and frightened?
(a) The new cook.
(d) The puppy.
6. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
(a) Coughing droplets of blood into his hankerchief.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Staring off into the distance.
(d) Painting his face.
7. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
(a) Like a wife.
(b) Like a student.
(c) Like a mentor.
(d) Like a brother.
8. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) She is unhappy.
(b) She is still robust and well.
(c) She is ostracized from the community.
(d) Her health is failing.
9. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
(a) A Duke in Italy pays his way.
(b) The wealthy widow Makepeace marries.
(c) The entire community collects money to pay his way.
(d) He is unable to go to Italy as he wished.
10. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(a) Offer to marry Anne.
(b) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
(d) Ask Anne her opinion.
11. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
(b) He has moved beyond her.
(c) He should have a native Indian wife.
(d) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
12. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
(a) Bethia as an indentured servant.
(b) An agreement from Joel and Caleb.
(c) All of Pastor Mayfield's library.
(d) There are no strings attached.
13. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
(c) God's will.
(d) Bad weather.
14. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Teach astronomy.
(b) Work as a tutor.
(c) Teach law.
(d) Be a student.
15. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
(a) How changed Caleb really is.
(b) If their father would want Makepeace to go to England.
(c) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry John Smith.
(d) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry Noah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
2. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
3. What does Caleb sing?
4. What does Bethia want to do?
5. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)