|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) He has moved beyond her.
(b) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
(c) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
(d) He should have a native Indian wife.
2. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
(a) To take Anne to be with Caleb.
(b) To take Caleb news from the island.
(c) For the commencement.
(d) To help Sammuel's dying father.
3. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Caleb has cursed their family.
(b) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(c) Of Bethia's behavior.
(d) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
4. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(b) No one.
5. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(b) He believes woman are equal to men.
(c) He loves another woman.
(d) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
6. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) Her health is failing.
(b) She is unhappy.
(c) She is still robust and well.
(d) She is ostracized from the community.
7. What does Caleb sing?
(a) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(b) A song of hope.
(c) A song of despair.
(d) A song of praise to the sun.
8. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
(a) The pain of Samuel dying.
(b) The pain of answering to God for her sins.
(c) The pain of hell.
(d) The pain of her daughter dying.
9. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
(b) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(c) What she cannot know.
(d) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
10. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
(a) On a rough bed in the kitchen.
(b) In the servant's room in the attic.
(c) In a small hut outside.
(d) In the hayloft.
11. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A new cook.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A kitchen scullery boy.
(d) A young native woman named Anne.
12. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(a) He is waylaid by pirates.
(c) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
(d) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
13. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Marry Noah.
(b) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Go back to the island and not marry.
14. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(a) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(b) She has to come back and work for one year.
(d) She has to marry within a month.
15. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
2. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
3. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
4. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
5. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)