|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
(a) Like a wife.
(b) Like a student.
(c) Like a mentor.
(d) Like a brother.
2. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
(a) Staring off into the distance.
(b) Painting his face.
(c) Coughing droplets of blood into his hankerchief.
(d) Writing a letter.
3. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she loves Caleb.
(b) If she wants to go back to the island.
(c) For Bethia to marry him.
(d) If she loves Noah.
4. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(b) Ask Anne her opinion.
(c) Offer to marry Anne.
(d) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
5. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
(b) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(c) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(d) What she cannot know.
6. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Marry Joel.
(b) Drop out of school for a while.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Escape back to the island.
7. Whom does Anne marry?
(a) Caleb's brother.
(b) No one.
8. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Brief but difficult.
(b) Long but easy.
(c) Brief and easy.
(d) Long and arduous.
9. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
(c) Like they are written by someone else.
10. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Runs after her and kisses her.
(b) Says she will marry him no matter what.
(d) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
11. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
(b) Reconsider marriage with him.
(c) Find her own heart.
(d) Go back to the island.
12. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
(a) A reminder to start the Christmas dinner.
(b) Bethia's grief over her mother's death.
(c) Bethia's memories.
(d) Bethia's grief over Caleb's death.
13. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Caleb has cursed their family.
(b) Of Bethia's behavior.
(c) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
(d) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
14. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
(a) From walking up the staris.
(b) From bending over her garden.
(c) From kneeling in her garden.
(d) From writing.
15. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
(a) To a secret glade in the woods.
(b) To a fair.
(c) To the church.
(d) To the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is one of the students related?
2. For whom does Bethia watch as the boat sets out for Cambridge?
3. What does Makepeace say he has arranged with the Merry family?
4. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
5. What is never mentioned in commencement?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)