|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To ask Tequamuck's help.
(b) To get the rest of her books.
(c) To get Anne.
(d) To see her brother's new child.
2. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
(a) Jumping from a high tower into the river.
(b) Living in the wilderness for a month.
(c) The younger boys serving the older ones.
(d) Cutting one's hair short the first year.
3. What is wrong with Anne?
(a) She is having a miscarriage.
(b) She broke her arm.
(c) She was beaten by one of the male students.
(d) She has smallpox.
4. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) The professor of classics.
(b) An elderly, kind gentleman.
(c) A drunk who hates native Indians.
(d) No one.
5. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she loves Caleb.
(b) If she loves Noah.
(c) If she wants to go back to the island.
(d) For Bethia to marry him.
6. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(b) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
(c) He is waylaid by pirates.
(d) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
7. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(a) She has to marry within a month.
(b) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(c) She has to come back and work for one year.
8. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
(a) She sees him arguing with Corlett.
(b) She sees him in the chapel for hours.
(c) She sees him go out with a blackened face.
(d) She sees him coming back late at night.
9. Who is nervous and frightened?
(a) The puppy.
(d) The new cook.
10. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(a) Offer to marry Anne.
(b) Ask Anne her opinion.
(c) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
11. One is one adjective with which Bethia describes Samuel Corlett?
12. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Brief and easy.
(b) Long but easy.
(c) Brief but difficult.
(d) Long and arduous.
13. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Be a student.
(b) Teach law.
(c) Work as a tutor.
(d) Teach astronomy.
14. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) He has moved beyond her.
(b) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
(c) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
(d) He should have a native Indian wife.
15. About what is Caleb troubled?
(a) Anne still being at the school.
(b) The lack of justice in Anne's case.
(c) That natives are treated as inferiors.
(d) Bethia still being at the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
2. Who is John Harvard?
3. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
4. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
5. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)