|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(b) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(c) Solace was a bad child.
(d) Solace was not destined to live long.
2. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(a) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
(c) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
(d) He is waylaid by pirates.
3. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To get the rest of her books.
(b) To ask Tequamuck's help.
(c) To see her brother's new child.
(d) To get Anne.
4. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
(a) A reminder to start the Christmas dinner.
(b) Bethia's grief over Caleb's death.
(c) Bethia's grief over her mother's death.
(d) Bethia's memories.
5. What does Samuel want Bethia to discontinue doing?
(a) Studying so much.
(b) Defending the natives.
(c) Working in the kitchen.
(d) Seeing Noah.
6. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Escape back to the island.
(b) Marry Caleb.
(c) Drop out of school for a while.
(d) Marry Joel.
7. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A new puppy.
(b) A kitchen scullery boy.
(c) A new cook.
(d) A young native woman named Anne.
8. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) No one.
(b) The professor of classics.
(c) An elderly, kind gentleman.
(d) A drunk who hates native Indians.
9. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
(a) To take Anne to be with Caleb.
(b) To help Sammuel's dying father.
(c) To take Caleb news from the island.
(d) For the commencement.
10. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
(a) Help with the fort.
(b) Help cut wood for the kiln.
(c) Visit the memorial.
(d) Go to pray for their father at the church.
11. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) She is unhappy.
(b) Her health is failing.
(c) She is still robust and well.
(d) She is ostracized from the community.
12. About what is Makepeace jealous?
(a) Bethia and Caleb's success at learning.
(b) Their mother loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(c) Other men his age have gone off to college.
(d) Their father loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
13. What does Bethia feel the need to do?
(a) Write one last time.
(b) Write a poem about Caleb.
(c) Gain forgiveness from God.
(d) Write a poem about Samuel.
14. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of praise to the sun.
(b) A song of despair.
(c) A song of hope.
(d) The death song Bethia teaches him.
15. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
(a) Like a brother.
(b) Like a mentor.
(c) Like a wife.
(d) Like a student.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
2. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
3. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
4. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
5. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)