|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
(a) The minister.
(b) The Latin teacher.
(d) The head housekeeper.
2. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
(d) Like they are written by someone else.
3. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Runs after her and kisses her.
(b) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
(c) Says she will marry him no matter what.
4. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
(a) To be able to hear the lectures.
(b) To see if there are any other young men that interest her.
(c) To get away from Corlett.
(d) To get away from Samuel.
5. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
(b) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(c) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(d) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
6. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(a) Bethia's hard work.
(c) Joel's name or anything about him.
(d) Sammuel's tutoring.
7. What does Samuel want Bethia to discontinue doing?
(a) Working in the kitchen.
(b) Defending the natives.
(c) Seeing Noah.
(d) Studying so much.
8. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
(a) A committee.
(c) President Chauncy.
(d) No one as he is not yet ready to do so.
9. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To get the rest of her books.
(b) To see her brother's new child.
(c) To get Anne.
(d) To ask Tequamuck's help.
10. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) Her health is failing.
(b) She is ostracized from the community.
(c) She is still robust and well.
(d) She is unhappy.
11. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(a) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
(b) They will continue as a strong nation.
12. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
(a) The pain of Samuel dying.
(b) The pain of answering to God for her sins.
(c) The pain of hell.
(d) The pain of her daughter dying.
13. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) The professor of classics.
(b) No one.
(c) A drunk who hates native Indians.
(d) An elderly, kind gentleman.
14. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A young native woman named Anne.
(b) A kitchen scullery boy.
(c) A new puppy.
(d) A new cook.
15. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
(a) To the church.
(b) To the library.
(c) To a fair.
(d) To a secret glade in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
2. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
3. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
4. Whom does Anne marry?
5. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)