|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
(a) To a secret glade in the woods.
(b) To the library.
(c) To the church.
(d) To a fair.
2. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(d) Distinguished graduate.
3. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems detached.
(b) He seems ill at ease.
(c) He seems right at home.
(d) He is very dignified.
4. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) A drunk who hates native Indians.
(b) The professor of classics.
(c) No one.
(d) An elderly, kind gentleman.
5. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) What she cannot know.
(b) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
(c) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(d) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
6. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Brief but difficult.
(b) Long and arduous.
(c) Long but easy.
(d) Brief and easy.
7. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A young native woman named Anne.
(b) A kitchen scullery boy.
(c) A new cook.
(d) A new puppy.
8. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
(b) Go back to the island and not marry.
(c) Marry Noah.
(d) Marry Caleb.
9. What does Makepeace think Bethia feels about Caleb?
(a) She feels Caleb should go back to his tribe.
(b) She lusts for him.
(c) She feels superior to him.
(d) She feels Caleb is better than Makepeace.
10. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He sobs for a long time.
(b) He does not want to hear the details.
(c) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(d) He says nothing.
11. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) John Smith.
(b) Anne Bradstreet.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Aphra Behn.
12. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
(a) From kneeling in her garden.
(b) From writing.
(c) From bending over her garden.
(d) From walking up the staris.
13. About what is Caleb troubled?
(a) Bethia still being at the school.
(b) The lack of justice in Anne's case.
(c) Anne still being at the school.
(d) That natives are treated as inferiors.
14. About what is Makepeace jealous?
(a) Their father loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(b) Bethia and Caleb's success at learning.
(c) Other men his age have gone off to college.
(d) Their mother loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
15. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(b) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
(c) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
(d) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
2. What is wrong with Anne?
3. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
4. Who dies unexpectedly?
5. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)