|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is Makepeace jealous?
(a) Other men his age have gone off to college.
(b) Bethia and Caleb's success at learning.
(c) Their father loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(d) Their mother loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
2. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(a) They will continue as a strong nation.
(c) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
3. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
(a) He has left Caleb out of the will.
(b) He leaves Caleb money for college.
(c) He leaves two important books to Bethia.
(d) He designates Bethia as his principle heir.
4. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(a) Some sewing that needs completed.
(c) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
(d) Flowers and a book.
5. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Marry Joel.
(b) Drop out of school for a while.
(c) Escape back to the island.
(d) Marry Caleb.
6. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Go back to the island and not marry.
(b) Marry Noah.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
7. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(b) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
(c) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(d) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
8. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
(b) Bad weather.
(d) God's will.
9. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Solace was not destined to live long.
(b) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(c) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(d) Solace was a bad child.
10. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of despair.
(b) A song of praise to the sun.
(c) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(d) A song of hope.
11. About what is Caleb troubled?
(a) Anne still being at the school.
(b) Bethia still being at the school.
(c) The lack of justice in Anne's case.
(d) That natives are treated as inferiors.
12. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(b) No one.
13. What does Samuel want Bethia to discontinue doing?
(a) Studying so much.
(b) Working in the kitchen.
(c) Seeing Noah.
(d) Defending the natives.
14. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(b) Distinguished graduate.
15. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems right at home.
(b) He is very dignified.
(c) He seems detached.
(d) He seems ill at ease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
2. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
3. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
4. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
5. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)