|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(b) She has to marry within a month.
(c) She has to come back and work for one year.
(d) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
2. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(b) Joel's name or anything about him.
(c) Bethia's hard work.
(d) Sammuel's tutoring.
3. About what is Caleb troubled?
(a) That natives are treated as inferiors.
(b) Bethia still being at the school.
(c) The lack of justice in Anne's case.
(d) Anne still being at the school.
4. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
(a) Caleb and Joel are first shunned then welcomed.
(b) She comes to realize that she and Caleb cannot marry.
(c) She is accosted by one of the last-year students.
(d) She becomes very ill.
5. What does Bethia feel the need to do?
(a) Gain forgiveness from God.
(b) Write a poem about Caleb.
(c) Write one last time.
(d) Write a poem about Samuel.
6. Who eventually becomes Caleb and Joel's tutor?
(b) No one.
7. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she wants to go back to the island.
(b) For Bethia to marry him.
(c) If she loves Caleb.
(d) If she loves Noah.
8. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
(c) Like they are written by someone else.
9. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
(a) For the commencement.
(b) To help Sammuel's dying father.
(c) To take Caleb news from the island.
(d) To take Anne to be with Caleb.
10. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(a) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
(b) He is waylaid by pirates.
(c) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
11. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He sobs for a long time.
(b) He does not want to hear the details.
(c) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(d) He says nothing.
12. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(c) No one.
13. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(c) Distinguished graduate.
14. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
(a) From kneeling in her garden.
(b) From walking up the staris.
(c) From bending over her garden.
(d) From writing.
15. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
(a) Tequamuck is not there trying to disrupt their journey.
(b) She is glad she'll still be near Caleb.
(c) She is glad she patched things up with Makepeace.
(d) She feels she may as well get her indentured time over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is nervous and frightened?
2. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
3. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
4. To whom is one of the students related?
5. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)