|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
(a) Like a brother.
(b) Like a student.
(c) Like a mentor.
(d) Like a wife.
2. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He does not want to hear the details.
(d) He sobs for a long time.
3. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems right at home.
(b) He seems detached.
(c) He seems ill at ease.
(d) He is very dignified.
4. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
(b) Bad weather.
(c) God's will.
5. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) Which man would love children the most.
(b) If she even wants to marry.
(c) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
(d) Which man stirs her blood.
6. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Of Bethia's behavior.
(b) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
(c) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(d) Caleb has cursed their family.
7. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) She is ostracized from the community.
(b) Her health is failing.
(c) She is unhappy.
(d) She is still robust and well.
8. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
(a) How changed Caleb really is.
(b) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry Noah.
(c) Whether their father would want Bethia to still marry John Smith.
(d) If their father would want Makepeace to go to England.
9. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
(a) Bethia as an indentured servant.
(b) There are no strings attached.
(c) An agreement from Joel and Caleb.
(d) All of Pastor Mayfield's library.
10. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(a) She has to marry within a month.
(b) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(d) She has to come back and work for one year.
11. Who is John Harvard?
(a) The man who endowed the library.
(b) The classics professor.
(c) The mathematics professor.
(d) The Latin and Greek professor.
12. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A fort.
(b) A kiln.
(c) A memorial to Mayfield.
(d) A totem.
13. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of hope.
(b) A song of despair.
(c) A song of praise to the sun.
(d) The death song Bethia teaches him.
14. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Marry Caleb.
(b) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
(c) Go back to the island and not marry.
(d) Marry Noah.
15. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Reconsider marriage with him.
(b) Go back to the island.
(c) Find her own heart.
(d) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
2. What is never mentioned in commencement?
3. To whom is one of the students related?
4. What does Makepeace think Bethia feels about Caleb?
5. How is the journey to Cambridge?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)