|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(b) He loves another woman.
(c) He believes woman are equal to men.
(d) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
2. When did Anne's parents die?
(a) They are not dead.
(b) Just recently on a boat that sinks.
(c) When she is a child.
(d) When Anne is fifteen.
3. Who dies unexpectedly?
(a) The wife of the governor.
(b) The youngest, unmarried son of the governor.
(c) The governor.
(d) The married son of the governor.
4. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems right at home.
(b) He seems detached.
(c) He is very dignified.
(d) He seems ill at ease.
5. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
(a) Bethia's grief over Caleb's death.
(b) A reminder to start the Christmas dinner.
(c) Bethia's grief over her mother's death.
(d) Bethia's memories.
6. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
(a) A committee.
(b) No one as he is not yet ready to do so.
(d) President Chauncy.
7. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) John Smith.
(c) Anne Bradstreet.
(d) Aphra Behn.
8. What does Makepeace think Bethia feels about Caleb?
(a) She feels superior to him.
(b) She lusts for him.
(c) She feels Caleb should go back to his tribe.
(d) She feels Caleb is better than Makepeace.
9. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) If she even wants to marry.
(b) Which man stirs her blood.
(c) Which man would love children the most.
(d) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
10. Who is nervous and frightened?
(b) The puppy.
(c) The new cook.
11. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
(a) Arrogant students.
(b) Early hours.
(c) Chapped hands.
(d) Bed lice.
12. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
(a) All of Pastor Mayfield's library.
(b) There are no strings attached.
(c) An agreement from Joel and Caleb.
(d) Bethia as an indentured servant.
13. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Drop out of school for a while.
(b) Escape back to the island.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Marry Joel.
14. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) For Bethia to marry him.
(b) If she loves Noah.
(c) If she wants to go back to the island.
(d) If she loves Caleb.
15. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Solace was a bad child.
(b) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(c) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(d) Solace was not destined to live long.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Anne marry?
2. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
3. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
4. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
5. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)