|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
(a) An elderly, kind gentleman.
(b) No one.
(c) A drunk who hates native Indians.
(d) The professor of classics.
2. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Standing up to her brother.
(b) Standing up to Corlett.
(c) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
(d) How to catch a rabbit.
3. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
(a) Chapped hands.
(b) Arrogant students.
(c) Bed lice.
(d) Early hours.
4. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(a) Sammuel's tutoring.
(b) Bethia's hard work.
(d) Joel's name or anything about him.
5. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
(a) Like they are written by someone else.
6. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she loves Noah.
(b) If she loves Caleb.
(c) For Bethia to marry him.
(d) If she wants to go back to the island.
7. What position is it likely Joel will hold at graduation?
(d) Distinguished graduate.
8. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) John Smith.
(c) Anne Bradstreet.
(d) Aphra Behn.
9. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
(a) The entire community collects money to pay his way.
(b) The wealthy widow Makepeace marries.
(c) A Duke in Italy pays his way.
(d) He is unable to go to Italy as he wished.
10. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
(a) From walking up the staris.
(b) From kneeling in her garden.
(c) From writing.
(d) From bending over her garden.
11. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
(a) The minister.
(b) The head housekeeper.
(c) The Latin teacher.
12. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He sobs for a long time.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He is outraged and decides to return home.
(d) He does not want to hear the details.
13. What does Samuel urge Bethia to do?
(a) Find her own heart.
(b) Reconsider marriage with him.
(c) Go back to the island.
(d) Give him three months to convince her to marry him.
14. Who is nervous and frightened?
(a) The puppy.
(c) The new cook.
15. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) She is still robust and well.
(b) Her health is failing.
(c) She is unhappy.
(d) She is ostracized from the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies unexpectedly?
2. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
3. What does Samuel want Bethia to discontinue doing?
4. About what do Bethia and Makepeace argue?
5. What is wrong with Anne?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)