|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(a) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
(b) Some sewing that needs completed.
(c) Flowers and a book.
2. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Brief and easy.
(b) Long but easy.
(c) Brief but difficult.
(d) Long and arduous.
3. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she wants to go back to the island.
(b) If she loves Caleb.
(c) If she loves Noah.
(d) For Bethia to marry him.
4. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems right at home.
(b) He seems ill at ease.
(c) He seems detached.
(d) He is very dignified.
5. One is one adjective with which Bethia describes Samuel Corlett?
6. What are the repercussions to Anne's miscarriage?
(a) She has to confess the name of the father of the child.
(b) She has to marry within a month.
(c) She has to come back and work for one year.
7. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
(a) Help cut wood for the kiln.
(b) Help with the fort.
(c) Visit the memorial.
(d) Go to pray for their father at the church.
8. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A new puppy.
(b) A kitchen scullery boy.
(c) A young native woman named Anne.
(d) A new cook.
9. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
(a) An agreement from Joel and Caleb.
(b) There are no strings attached.
(c) All of Pastor Mayfield's library.
(d) Bethia as an indentured servant.
10. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) She comes to realize that she and Caleb cannot marry.
(c) She is accosted by one of the last-year students.
(d) Caleb and Joel are first shunned then welcomed.
11. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
(a) The Latin teacher.
(b) The minister.
(c) The head housekeeper.
12. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
(a) To get away from Samuel.
(b) To be able to hear the lectures.
(c) To get away from Corlett.
(d) To see if there are any other young men that interest her.
13. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
(b) No one as he is not yet ready to do so.
(c) President Chauncy.
(d) A committee.
14. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of hope.
(b) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(c) A song of despair.
(d) A song of praise to the sun.
15. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Aphra Behn.
(c) John Smith.
(d) Anne Bradstreet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia want to do?
2. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
3. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
4. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
5. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)