|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
(a) The younger boys serving the older ones.
(b) Living in the wilderness for a month.
(c) Jumping from a high tower into the river.
(d) Cutting one's hair short the first year.
2. What does Makepeace say he has arranged with the Merry family?
(a) To continue the work with the natives.
(b) To run the Mayfield farm.
(c) To buy out Bethia's indentureship.
(d) To start preaching on Sundays.
3. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
(a) Painting his face.
(b) Coughing droplets of blood into his hankerchief.
(c) Staring off into the distance.
(d) Writing a letter.
4. About what is Caleb troubled?
(a) Anne still being at the school.
(b) That natives are treated as inferiors.
(c) The lack of justice in Anne's case.
(d) Bethia still being at the school.
5. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
(a) Her health is failing.
(b) She is ostracized from the community.
(c) She is still robust and well.
(d) She is unhappy.
6. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) John Smith.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Aphra Behn.
(d) Anne Bradstreet.
7. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
(a) In the hayloft.
(b) In a small hut outside.
(c) In the servant's room in the attic.
(d) On a rough bed in the kitchen.
8. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
(a) The pain of hell.
(b) The pain of answering to God for her sins.
(c) The pain of her daughter dying.
(d) The pain of Samuel dying.
9. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
(a) Early hours.
(b) Chapped hands.
(c) Arrogant students.
(d) Bed lice.
10. One is one adjective with which Bethia describes Samuel Corlett?
11. Who is John Harvard?
(a) The mathematics professor.
(b) The Latin and Greek professor.
(c) The classics professor.
(d) The man who endowed the library.
12. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
(a) Short sighted.
(b) Long winded.
(c) Mean spirited.
13. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Brief and easy.
(b) Long and arduous.
(c) Long but easy.
(d) Brief but difficult.
14. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
(a) She comes to realize that she and Caleb cannot marry.
(b) She becomes very ill.
(c) She is accosted by one of the last-year students.
(d) Caleb and Joel are first shunned then welcomed.
15. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of despair.
(b) A song of hope.
(c) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(d) A song of praise to the sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
2. About what is Makepeace jealous?
3. Who is nervous and frightened?
4. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
5. What is never mentioned in commencement?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)