|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
(a) To a fair.
(b) To a secret glade in the woods.
(c) To the library.
(d) To the church.
2. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
(a) Bethia's grief over Caleb's death.
(b) Bethia's memories.
(c) A reminder to start the Christmas dinner.
(d) Bethia's grief over her mother's death.
3. Who is John Harvard?
(a) The mathematics professor.
(b) The classics professor.
(c) The Latin and Greek professor.
(d) The man who endowed the library.
4. What does Caleb sing?
(a) A song of despair.
(b) A song of praise to the sun.
(c) The death song Bethia teaches him.
(d) A song of hope.
5. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Long but easy.
(b) Long and arduous.
(c) Brief but difficult.
(d) Brief and easy.
6. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To ask Tequamuck's help.
(b) To get Anne.
(c) To get the rest of her books.
(d) To see her brother's new child.
7. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Drop out of school for a while.
(b) Escape back to the island.
(c) Marry Joel.
(d) Marry Caleb.
8. What does Makepeace threaten to tell their grandfather?
(a) Of Bethia's behavior.
(b) Caleb lusts for Bethia.
(c) Caleb has cursed their family.
(d) Behia is more native than Caleb is.
9. Whom does Anne marry?
(c) Caleb's brother.
(d) No one.
10. What does Samuel want Bethia to discontinue doing?
(a) Studying so much.
(b) Defending the natives.
(c) Working in the kitchen.
(d) Seeing Noah.
11. For whom does Bethia watch as the boat sets out for Cambridge?
(a) Her best friend.
(d) Her grandfather.
12. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
(a) He leaves two important books to Bethia.
(b) He leaves Caleb money for college.
(c) He designates Bethia as his principle heir.
(d) He has left Caleb out of the will.
13. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
(a) President Chauncy.
(b) A committee.
(d) No one as he is not yet ready to do so.
14. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
(a) Mean spirited.
(c) Long winded.
(d) Short sighted.
15. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
(a) To take Anne to be with Caleb.
(b) For the commencement.
(c) To take Caleb news from the island.
(d) To help Sammuel's dying father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
2. What is never mentioned in commencement?
3. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
4. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
5. Who is nervous and frightened?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)