|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
(c) Like they are written by someone else.
2. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
(a) A Duke in Italy pays his way.
(b) The wealthy widow Makepeace marries.
(c) The entire community collects money to pay his way.
(d) He is unable to go to Italy as he wished.
3. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Teach law.
(b) Teach astronomy.
(c) Work as a tutor.
(d) Be a student.
4. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
(b) Solace was not destined to live long.
(c) Solace was a bad child.
(d) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
5. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He seems ill at ease.
(b) He is very dignified.
(c) He seems detached.
(d) He seems right at home.
6. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(b) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(c) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
(d) What she cannot know.
7. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Anne Bradstreet.
(b) John Smith.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Aphra Behn.
8. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(a) No one.
9. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
(a) He has left Caleb out of the will.
(b) He leaves two important books to Bethia.
(c) He leaves Caleb money for college.
(d) He designates Bethia as his principle heir.
10. Who dies unexpectedly?
(a) The married son of the governor.
(b) The governor.
(c) The youngest, unmarried son of the governor.
(d) The wife of the governor.
11. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A kitchen scullery boy.
(b) A young native woman named Anne.
(c) A new puppy.
(d) A new cook.
12. What is wrong with Anne?
(a) She was beaten by one of the male students.
(b) She broke her arm.
(c) She has smallpox.
(d) She is having a miscarriage.
13. About what is Caleb troubled?
(a) The lack of justice in Anne's case.
(b) Anne still being at the school.
(c) Bethia still being at the school.
(d) That natives are treated as inferiors.
14. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(b) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
(c) Some sewing that needs completed.
(d) Flowers and a book.
15. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(a) No one.
(c) Bethia's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
2. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
3. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
4. Who is Caleb and Joel's first tutor?
5. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)