|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(b) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
(c) They will continue as a strong nation.
2. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
(a) Which man would love her as much as Caleb does.
(b) If she even wants to marry.
(c) Which man stirs her blood.
(d) Which man would love children the most.
3. About what is Makepeace jealous?
(a) Their mother loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(b) Other men his age have gone off to college.
(c) Their father loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(d) Bethia and Caleb's success at learning.
4. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
(a) Coughing droplets of blood into his hankerchief.
(b) Staring off into the distance.
(c) Painting his face.
(d) Writing a letter.
5. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(b) Bethia's grandfather.
(d) No one.
6. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
(a) If she wants to go back to the island.
(b) If she loves Caleb.
(c) If she loves Noah.
(d) For Bethia to marry him.
7. For what does Master Corlett's in Cambridge say they will allow Joel, Makepeace, and Caleb free attendance?
(a) An agreement from Joel and Caleb.
(b) There are no strings attached.
(c) Bethia as an indentured servant.
(d) All of Pastor Mayfield's library.
8. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
(a) He believes woman are equal to men.
(b) He wants a wife with whom he could talk intellectually.
(c) He believes woman are inferior to men.
(d) He loves another woman.
9. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
(a) Help cut wood for the kiln.
(b) Help with the fort.
(c) Visit the memorial.
(d) Go to pray for their father at the church.
10. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(b) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
(c) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(d) What she cannot know.
11. Who does Bethia welcome herself?
(a) A young native woman named Anne.
(b) A new cook.
(c) A new puppy.
(d) A kitchen scullery boy.
12. What does Makepeace think is the cause of his father's death?
(a) God's will.
(c) Bad weather.
13. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Long and arduous.
(b) Brief and easy.
(c) Long but easy.
(d) Brief but difficult.
14. What pain does Bethia believe waits for her?
(a) The pain of hell.
(b) The pain of answering to God for her sins.
(c) The pain of Samuel dying.
(d) The pain of her daughter dying.
15. With whom does Bethia talk about Samuel and Noah?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
2. Who dies unexpectedly?
3. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
4. What does Makepeace say he has arranged with the Merry family?
5. What is revealed about Bethia in the first chapter of this section?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)