|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Makepeace say he has arranged with the Merry family?
(a) To buy out Bethia's indentureship.
(b) To start preaching on Sundays.
(c) To run the Mayfield farm.
(d) To continue the work with the natives.
2. What does Bethia urge Caleb to do about his anger concerning Anne?
(a) Challenge the father of the baby to a duel.
(b) Offer to marry Anne.
(c) Ask Anne her opinion.
3. With what does Caleb help Bethia?
(a) Sorting out her feelings about her suitors.
(b) How to catch a rabbit.
(c) Standing up to her brother.
(d) Standing up to Corlett.
4. With whom does Caleb take his entrance exams?
(b) President Chauncy.
(c) No one as he is not yet ready to do so.
(d) A committee.
5. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Work as a tutor.
(b) Teach astronomy.
(c) Be a student.
(d) Teach law.
6. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
(a) Like a wife.
(b) Like a student.
(c) Like a brother.
(d) Like a mentor.
7. What does Bethia want to do?
(a) Marry Noah.
(b) Both return to the island and have an intellectual life of books.
(c) Go back to the island and not marry.
(d) Marry Caleb.
8. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
(a) Cutting one's hair short the first year.
(b) Jumping from a high tower into the river.
(c) The younger boys serving the older ones.
(d) Living in the wilderness for a month.
9. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
(a) The minister.
(b) The head housekeeper.
(d) The Latin teacher.
10. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
(a) The entire community collects money to pay his way.
(b) A Duke in Italy pays his way.
(c) The wealthy widow Makepeace marries.
(d) He is unable to go to Italy as he wished.
11. What does Makepeace believe about Solace?
(a) Solace was not destined to live long.
(b) Caleb bewitched the child to go drown.
(c) Solace was a bad child.
(d) Tequamuck is responsible for Solace's death.
12. What is never mentioned in commencement?
(b) Joel's name or anything about him.
(c) Sammuel's tutoring.
(d) Bethia's hard work.
13. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) He should have a native Indian wife.
(b) He has moved beyond her.
(c) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
(d) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
14. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(b) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(c) What she cannot know.
(d) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
15. What does Bethia decide Anne must do?
(a) Drop out of school for a while.
(b) Escape back to the island.
(c) Marry Caleb.
(d) Marry Joel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
2. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
3. Where does Samuel take Bethia the next day?
4. Who is John Harvard?
5. How do Bethia's writings seem to her now?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)