|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Wampanoag construct on the shore?
(a) A memorial to Mayfield.
(b) A kiln.
(c) A totem.
(d) A fort.
2. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Teach law.
(b) Be a student.
(c) Teach astronomy.
(d) Work as a tutor.
3. When did Anne's parents die?
(a) When she is a child.
(b) Just recently on a boat that sinks.
(c) They are not dead.
(d) When Anne is fifteen.
4. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
(a) He leaves Caleb money for college.
(b) He has left Caleb out of the will.
(c) He designates Bethia as his principle heir.
(d) He leaves two important books to Bethia.
5. Who is John Harvard?
(a) The classics professor.
(b) The mathematics professor.
(c) The man who endowed the library.
(d) The Latin and Greek professor.
6. What future does Tequamuck see for his people?
(a) He cannot see the future; it is all fog.
(c) They will continue as a strong nation.
7. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(b) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
(c) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
(d) He is waylaid by pirates.
8. What does Bethia say about Caleb at commencement?
(a) He is very dignified.
(b) He seems ill at ease.
(c) He seems detached.
(d) He seems right at home.
9. Who is nervous and frightened?
(b) The new cook.
(c) The puppy.
10. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
(a) Staring off into the distance.
(b) Painting his face.
(c) Coughing droplets of blood into his hankerchief.
(d) Writing a letter.
11. What does Samuel do when Bethia walks away from him?
(a) Yells that he withdraws his offer of marriage.
(c) Says she will marry him no matter what.
(d) Runs after her and kisses her.
12. Why is Bethia sad?
(a) She is very ill.
(b) Caleb stays in Cambridge.
(c) Her father is not here to meet Samuel.
(d) Makepeace is not happy with her marrying Samuel.
13. How is the journey to Cambridge?
(a) Long but easy.
(b) Brief but difficult.
(c) Brief and easy.
(d) Long and arduous.
14. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) The minister.
(c) The Latin teacher.
15. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
(a) To get away from Samuel.
(b) To see if there are any other young men that interest her.
(c) To be able to hear the lectures.
(d) To get away from Corlett.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
2. What is never mentioned in commencement?
3. Why is Bethia relieved as they are leaving?
4. Why do Samuel and Bethia return to Cambridge?
5. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)