|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
(a) She sees him in the chapel for hours.
(b) She sees him arguing with Corlett.
(c) She sees him go out with a blackened face.
(d) She sees him coming back late at night.
2. About what is Makepeace jealous?
(a) Bethia and Caleb's success at learning.
(b) Other men his age have gone off to college.
(c) Their father loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
(d) Their mother loved Bethia more than Makepeace.
3. What physical pain must Bethia endure?
(a) From bending over her garden.
(b) From walking up the staris.
(c) From kneeling in her garden.
(d) From writing.
4. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
(b) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(c) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(d) What she cannot know.
5. Why is Bethia sad?
(a) She is very ill.
(b) Caleb stays in Cambridge.
(c) Makepeace is not happy with her marrying Samuel.
(d) Her father is not here to meet Samuel.
6. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
(a) Mean spirited.
(b) Long winded.
(d) Short sighted.
7. Who is John Harvard?
(a) The Latin and Greek professor.
(b) The man who endowed the library.
(c) The mathematics professor.
(d) The classics professor.
8. What happens in the early part of Bethia's one year at Harvard College?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) She is accosted by one of the last-year students.
(c) She comes to realize that she and Caleb cannot marry.
(d) Caleb and Joel are first shunned then welcomed.
9. What does Samuel bring to his first meeting with Bethia?
(b) A piece of embroidery for Bethia to finish.
(c) Some sewing that needs completed.
(d) Flowers and a book.
10. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Anne Bradstreet.
(c) Aphra Behn.
(d) John Smith.
11. What does Makepeace say he has arranged with the Merry family?
(a) To continue the work with the natives.
(b) To buy out Bethia's indentureship.
(c) To start preaching on Sundays.
(d) To run the Mayfield farm.
12. What surprises everyone when Mayfield's will is read?
(a) He designates Bethia as his principle heir.
(b) He leaves two important books to Bethia.
(c) He has left Caleb out of the will.
(d) He leaves Caleb money for college.
13. Who is nervous and frightened?
(c) The new cook.
(d) The puppy.
14. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To get the rest of her books.
(b) To ask Tequamuck's help.
(c) To see her brother's new child.
(d) To get Anne.
15. How do Samuel and Bethia manage to travel to Italy for his medical studies?
(a) The wealthy widow Makepeace marries.
(b) He is unable to go to Italy as he wished.
(c) A Duke in Italy pays his way.
(d) The entire community collects money to pay his way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samuel confess to Bethia?
2. Whom does Bethia have to listen to when they get to the college?
3. What is triggered by the inlaid box in Bethia's possession?
4. What is one question Caleb asks Bethia?
5. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)