|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bethia realize what Caleb is doing?
(a) She sees him in the chapel for hours.
(b) She sees him go out with a blackened face.
(c) She sees him coming back late at night.
(d) She sees him arguing with Corlett.
2. Why does Bethia go back to the island?
(a) To ask Tequamuck's help.
(b) To get the rest of her books.
(c) To get Anne.
(d) To see her brother's new child.
3. To whom is one of the students related?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Aphra Behn.
(c) John Smith.
(d) Anne Bradstreet.
4. What tradition does Caleb refuse to obey?
(a) Jumping from a high tower into the river.
(b) Living in the wilderness for a month.
(c) Cutting one's hair short the first year.
(d) The younger boys serving the older ones.
5. What does Bethia choose not to fear?
(a) Whether she or Samuel will die first.
(b) If her mother will be waiting for her and condemn her.
(c) What she cannot know.
(d) If her father will love her if she is in hell.
6. What is Samuel to do at the school endowed by John Harvard?
(a) Teach astronomy.
(b) Be a student.
(c) Teach law.
(d) Work as a tutor.
7. What does Bethia realize about Caleb as they are riding back to the white settlement?
(a) He has moved beyond her.
(b) She thinks of him as more than a brother.
(c) He should have a native Indian wife.
(d) He will never truly adopt the white man's ways.
8. What is wrong with Anne?
(a) She is having a miscarriage.
(b) She broke her arm.
(c) She has smallpox.
(d) She was beaten by one of the male students.
9. How does Caleb take the news Bethia brings?
(a) He does not want to hear the details.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He sobs for a long time.
(d) He is outraged and decides to return home.
10. Who is John Harvard?
(a) The man who endowed the library.
(b) The classics professor.
(c) The Latin and Greek professor.
(d) The mathematics professor.
11. What happens to Joel on his way back to Cambridge?
(b) He is waylaid by pirates.
(c) His boat is swamped and he is killed by angry natives..
(d) He is swimming when the boat is anchored and is killed by a shark.
12. Who arrives the day after Anne is ill?
(a) No one.
(d) Bethia's grandfather.
13. What is Caleb doing when Bethia finds him alone after commencement?
(a) Staring off into the distance.
(b) Painting his face.
(c) Coughing droplets of blood into his hankerchief.
(d) Writing a letter.
14. What is one thing Bethia has to endure?
(a) Bed lice.
(b) Arrogant students.
(c) Early hours.
(d) Chapped hands.
15. How does Bethia describe the proprietor of the school?
(b) Short sighted.
(c) Mean spirited.
(d) Long winded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bethia and Makepeace do every day?
2. Where is Bethia to sleep at Corlett's?
3. What does Samuel ask Bethia when they are alone?
4. Why does Bethia take on a position as housekeeper in another college?
5. What does Bethia believe she feels for Caleb?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)