|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
(a) To travel back and forth between his village and the White community.
(b) To live with the Mayfield family.
(c) To allow Caleb to determine his own living situation.
(d) To live in one of the vacated homes in the White community.
2. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
(a) She needs to be careful in what she studies.
(b) Bethia has learned too much already and is not desirable as a bride.
(c) She can never learn too much.
(d) It's not good for a pretty girl.
3. With whom does Caleb develop a close friendship over time?
(a) Pastor Mayfield.
4. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(a) Teaches her about horses.
(b) Shows her how to swim.
(c) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
5. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
(a) If her father would ever let her marry him.
(b) If his ordeal was God's will.
(c) Why he even speaks to her.
(d) If he would ever become a Christian.
6. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
(a) Return a book she had borrowed.
(b) Take some medicine to a Wampanoag woman.
(c) Find her father.
(d) Harvest some beans.
7. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Caleb is standing behind her.
(b) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(c) Makepeace is ill.
(d) Solace is missing.
8. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
(a) The women in the colony.
(b) The Wampanoag.
(c) The founding family.
(d) Her family.
9. How does Bethia consider her life at this time?
10. What does Tequamuck do with a gourd?
(b) Pour water from it as an offering.
(c) Drink a foul-smelling liquid out of it.
(d) Smash it in a ceremony.
11. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
(a) Meet with the Wampanoag tribal council.
(b) Go to the mainland to minister to a small settlement there.
(c) Officiate at the wedding of his daughter.
(d) Meet with the Merry family.
12. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
(b) No one.
13. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) In the Wampanoag language.
(b) As Grandmother.
(c) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
(d) As Elder Mother.
14. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because of Caleb's arrival.
(b) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(c) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(d) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
15. What is Bethia doing when she comes upon a group of Wampanoag dancing?
(a) She is lost in the woods.
(b) Gathering mushrooms.
(c) Searching for firewood.
(d) Gathering herbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
2. How does Bethia resolve to tell her story?
3. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
4. Why is Mayfield traveling to England?
5. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)