|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bethia consider her life at this time?
2. What does Caleb call Bethia?
(a) Pale One.
(b) Bright eyes.
(c) Storm eyes.
(d) Sweet one.
3. With whom does Caleb develop a close friendship over time?
(c) Pastor Mayfield.
4. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
(a) Tries to wake him.
(c) Sips out of the gourd.
(d) Finds Caleb to ask about Tequamuck.
5. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
(b) As Grandmother.
(c) As Elder Mother.
(d) In the Wampanoag language.
6. Why is there tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Makepeace wants to marry someone his father does not want him to marry.
(b) About having Caleb in the house when Bethia is so young.
(c) Makepeace wants to start his family.
(d) Makepeace wants to go back to England to college.
7. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
(a) Her life in England.
(b) Her life in Nantucket.
(c) Her life with Caleb.
(d) Her life in Cambridge.
8. Who is Iacoomis?
(a) A Wampanoag who teaches the Mayfield family the Wampanoag language.
(b) A Wampanoag native who tried to lead an uprising against the whites.
(c) A Wampanoag who is interested in how the whites farm.
(d) A Wampanoag who knows how to read and write English.
9. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
(a) With fear.
(b) As if the book is blasphemous.
(d) With digust.
10. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
(a) Find her father.
(b) Return a book she had borrowed.
(c) Harvest some beans.
(d) Take some medicine to a Wampanoag woman.
11. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) Her father.
(b) The mayor's family.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) The school teacher's famly.
12. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
(a) Camping grounds.
13. What is Bethia doing when she comes upon a group of Wampanoag dancing?
(a) Gathering mushrooms.
(b) She is lost in the woods.
(c) Searching for firewood.
(d) Gathering herbs.
14. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
(a) He will want to marry Bethia.
(b) He can get in to a university.
(c) He will help convert the rest of his people.
(d) He has no plans or hopes for Caleb.
15. What is a pawaaw?
(a) Spiritual leader.
(b) A light keeper.
(c) A fire keeper.
(d) A storyteller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bethia say she is so tired in Chapter 11?
2. What does Bethia say she feels about the Wampanoag?
3. Where is Master Corlett's school?
4. Why is Bethia envious of Makepeace?
5. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)