|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
(a) There is a someone to take care of the horses.
(b) She thought he was going to adopt Christianity.
(c) Most of the White men do not swim.
(d) Her father had asked Caleb to forgo Shamic training for now.
2. Who comes to the Merry mill for help?
(a) Two young Wampanoag.
(c) A young man from the mainland.
3. When did Bethia's mother die?
(b) When Caleb is born.
(c) When Bethia is born.
(d) Three years earlier.
4. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
(a) Atonement for sins against her mother.
(b) The housekeeper is ill.
(c) The housekeeper died.
(d) She likes to stay busy.
5. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
(a) She believes Caleb is staring at her.
(b) She notices Caleb staring at Solace.
(c) She is uneasily drawn to Caleb.
(d) Makepeace is rude to Caleb.
6. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
(a) Nausea and then unconsciousness.
(c) Severe anxiety.
(d) A feeling of euphoria.
7. Where is Master Corlett's school?
8. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
(b) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
(c) Her baby sister's habits.
(d) Her current situation.
9. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
(b) Makepeace or her father.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) Solace is old enough to care for herself.
10. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
(a) About the Wampanoag ceremony for manhood.
(b) About a Wampanoag girl Noah likes.
(c) About his sister and her brother marrying.
(d) About marriage to Bethia.
11. Who is Caleb?
(a) The Mayfield groom.
(b) A native American young man.
(c) Bethia's oldest brother.
(d) The preacher.
12. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the trading post.
(b) To visit an ill cousin.
(c) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
(d) To the mainland.
13. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
(a) Because her brother suggets that Bethia did something wrong.
(b) For having drunk out of the gourd.
(c) For not praying for her mother enough.
(d) Because she argued with her mother not long before she died.
14. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
(a) Go to the mainland to minister to a small settlement there.
(b) Officiate at the wedding of his daughter.
(c) Meet with the Merry family.
(d) Meet with the Wampanoag tribal council.
15. What does Bethia say she often does?
(a) Breaks down in tears of grief.
(b) Wishes she had never taken a sip from the gourd.
(c) Wishes she were a man.
(d) Talk to her Mother as if she were right there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
2. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
3. What does Bethia's father wonder?
4. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
5. What is the name of Bethia's new sister?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)