|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(c) Bethia's brother.
(d) No one.
2. With whom is Bethia's father arguing?
(a) The precher.
(b) Bethia's mother.
(c) Bethia's brother.
(d) The neighbor.
3. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
4. On what does is Caleb introduced to the community?
(a) The Sabbath.
(b) At a meeting by the governing elders on Monday.
(c) On Friday evening.
(d) At a meeting of the parrish on Wednesday evening.
5. Who is Caleb?
(a) The Mayfield groom.
(b) Bethia's oldest brother.
(c) The preacher.
(d) A native American young man.
6. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
(a) Nausea and then unconsciousness.
(b) A feeling of euphoria.
(d) Severe anxiety.
7. How does Bethia see Caleb at this time?
(a) As a stranger.
(b) More and more like a white man.
(c) As a good friend.
(d) As being deceived.
8. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(b) Shows her how to swim.
(c) Teaches her about horses.
(d) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
9. Who is Iacoomis?
(a) A Wampanoag who teaches the Mayfield family the Wampanoag language.
(b) A Wampanoag who knows how to read and write English.
(c) A Wampanoag who is interested in how the whites farm.
(d) A Wampanoag native who tried to lead an uprising against the whites.
10. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
(a) For having drunk out of the gourd.
(b) For not praying for her mother enough.
(c) Because she argued with her mother not long before she died.
(d) Because her brother suggets that Bethia did something wrong.
11. What does Bethia say she often does?
(a) Wishes she were a man.
(b) Breaks down in tears of grief.
(c) Wishes she had never taken a sip from the gourd.
(d) Talk to her Mother as if she were right there.
12. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
(b) Sweet One.
(c) Storm Eyes.
13. What does Bethia's father wonder?
(a) Why Bethia would think Makepeace should go with him.
(b) Why Bethia would suggest a native have lunch with them.
(c) How Bethia understood the Wampanoag.
(d) Why Bethia wants Noah to escort her home.
14. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
(a) She is serving as an accountant there.
(b) She is helping her brother move there.
(c) She is a housekeeper there.
(d) She is attending advanced studies there.
15. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
(a) The women in the colony.
(b) Her family.
(c) The Wampanoag.
(d) The founding family.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
2. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
3. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
4. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
5. What does Tequamuck do with a gourd?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)