|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
(d) Prepares some beans.
2. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
(a) Her father should go help the Wampanoag.
(b) Makepeace should go with their father.
(c) Noah should escort her home.
(d) Caleb should stay for lunch.
3. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
(a) She is tired.
(b) She wants to be away when her father comes home.
(c) The weather is beautiful.
(d) She wants to be away when Caleb comes home.
4. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(a) No one.
(d) Bethia's brother.
5. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Makepeace is ill.
(b) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(c) Caleb is standing behind her.
(d) Solace is missing.
6. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the trading post.
(b) To visit an ill cousin.
(c) To the mainland.
(d) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
7. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
(b) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
(c) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
(d) Having her life choices made for her.
8. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
(a) Talking in church.
(b) Talking to a male outside the family.
(d) Taking the Lord's name in vain.
9. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Her baby sister's habits.
(b) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
(c) Her current situation.
(d) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
10. What do the visitors ask?
(a) To take Bethia back home.
(b) To see Bethia's father.
(c) Some food.
(d) For help in curing a visiting elder.
11. What does Bethia's name mean?
(a) Wise one.
(b) Lovely one.
(d) Bright one.
12. What does Bethia discover about the well?
(b) It's gone dry.
(c) It's collapsed.
(d) It's been contaminated.
13. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) The school teacher's famly.
(d) The mayor's family.
14. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
(a) Solace is old enough to care for herself.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) Makepeace or her father.
15. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
(a) Find her father.
(b) Take some medicine to a Wampanoag woman.
(c) Return a book she had borrowed.
(d) Harvest some beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bethia doing when she comes upon a group of Wampanoag dancing?
2. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
3. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
4. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
5. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)