|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems strange to Bethia about the tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Makepeace could help the colony while in England.
(b) Bethia has already spent a great deal of time with Caleb.
(c) Makepeace is older now than her father was when her father started a family.
(d) Makepeace is a man and should choose his bride.
2. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
(a) Search for Solace.
(b) Reassure Bethia.
(d) Tell her Solace is her responsibility
3. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(c) No one.
(d) Bethia's brother.
4. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
(a) Drinking out of the gourd.
(b) Talking with a young Wampanoag male.
(c) Learning to speak with the Wampanoag.
(d) Disobeying her father.
5. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the mainland.
(b) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
(c) To visit an ill cousin.
(d) To the trading post.
6. What happens to Caleb when Noah comes around?
(a) Caleb becomes animated.
(b) Caleb seems to have things to do elsewhere.
(c) Caleb becomes very quiet.
(d) Nothing different from ususal.
7. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
(a) Prepares some beans.
8. Who is Bethia?
(a) The author.
(b) A minor character.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The Mayfield family servant.
9. Who is Noah Merry?
(a) Another White who thinks the Wampanoag are being mistreated.
(b) The brother of Bethia's best friend.
(c) A merchant's son and possible husband for Bethia.
(d) A young, white man who kills a Wampanoag in a dispute.
10. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(b) Makepeace is ill.
(c) Caleb is standing behind her.
(d) Solace is missing.
11. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Watch over her younger sister.
(b) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(c) Tell the story of her past.
(d) Avoid marriage.
12. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
(a) With fear.
(c) As if the book is blasphemous.
(d) With digust.
13. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
(a) Camping grounds.
14. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
(b) Tries to wake him.
(c) Finds Caleb to ask about Tequamuck.
(d) Sips out of the gourd.
15. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Her baby sister's habits.
(b) Her current situation.
(c) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
(d) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
2. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
3. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
4. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
5. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)