|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love for her dog.
(b) Love of the island.
(c) Love for the preacher's boy.
(d) Love for her brother.
2. When did Bethia's mother die?
(b) When Bethia is born.
(c) Three years earlier.
(d) When Caleb is born.
3. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
(b) As Grandmother.
(c) In the Wampanoag language.
(d) As Elder Mother.
4. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
(a) Back to be with her mother.
(b) To the school house.
(c) Back to the tent where they were staying.
(d) Back to the Merrys.
5. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) Her father.
(b) The school teacher's famly.
(c) The mayor's family.
(d) Her grandfather.
6. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
(a) To show his parishioners how liberal minded he is.
(b) To demonstrate why Caleb should be welcomed.
(c) They are merely the passages appointed for the day and have no connection to Caleb's arrival.
(d) To have Caleb read some scripture which he knows thoroughly.
7. Why is Bethia envious of Makepeace?
(a) He marries whom he chooses.
(b) He gets to return to the island.
(c) He has a freer life.
(d) He decides to stay in England where he wants to be.
8. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
(b) Finds Caleb to ask about Tequamuck.
(c) Sips out of the gourd.
(d) Tries to wake him.
9. What does Bethia discover about the well?
(b) It's gone dry.
(c) It's been contaminated.
(d) It's collapsed.
10. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
(a) Noah should escort her home.
(b) Caleb should stay for lunch.
(c) Her father should go help the Wampanoag.
(d) Makepeace should go with their father.
11. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
(a) She thought he was going to adopt Christianity.
(b) Most of the White men do not swim.
(c) Her father had asked Caleb to forgo Shamic training for now.
(d) There is a someone to take care of the horses.
12. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
(a) The music and energy of the Wampanoag dancing.
(b) An argument with her brother about his friend he wants her to marry.
(c) An argument with her friend about the Wampanoag's rights.
(d) A fight with her father.
13. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He is sorry her mother died.
(b) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(c) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
(d) He has missed being with her.
14. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
(a) To live in one of the vacated homes in the White community.
(b) To allow Caleb to determine his own living situation.
(c) To travel back and forth between his village and the White community.
(d) To live with the Mayfield family.
15. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Tell the story of her past.
(b) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(c) Avoid marriage.
(d) Watch over her younger sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Bethia's new sister?
2. With what kind of influence are the arguers concerned the new guest will bring?
3. For what does Bethia long?
4. What does Bethia's father wonder?
5. What does Caleb call Bethia?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)