Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
(a) Find her father.
(b) Return a book she had borrowed.
(c) Take some medicine to a Wampanoag woman.
(d) Harvest some beans.
2. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
(a) Her mother did not fear death.
(b) Her mother will not go to heaven.
(c) Bethia thinks she is to blame for the death.
(d) Her mother wanted to die.
3. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
(a) She thinks her father is being premature.
(b) She knows the Wampanoag girl and thinks Noah will hurt her.
(c) She thinks Noah's sister is the wrong person for her brother.
(d) She has not been given a choice.
4. Why does Bethia say she is so tired in Chapter 11?
(a) From doing her mother's work as well as her own.
(b) From lying awake for several nights writing her confession.
(c) From running back and forth between the fields and the kitchen.
(d) She does not know why she is so tired.
5. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(b) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(c) Because of Caleb's arrival.
(d) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
6. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
(a) Grooming his horse.
(b) Giving an early morning greeting to the sun god.
(d) Taking lessons from the tribal shamen.
7. Where is Solace found?
(a) Being attacked by some wild dogs.
(b) In the stables.
(c) In a tree.
(d) Drowned in the new well.
8. Why is Mayfield traveling to England?
(a) To receive knighthood from the king.
(b) To raise funds for his work.
(c) To bring back some more colonists.
(d) To say goodbye to his dying mother.
9. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
(a) There has never been a beached whale before.
(b) It is shared among all the occupants of the island.
(c) Two men from the two groups have a friendly wrestling match to win rights to the whale.
(d) It belongs to the Wampanoag.
10. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
(a) Noah should escort her home.
(b) Makepeace should go with their father.
(c) Her father should go help the Wampanoag.
(d) Caleb should stay for lunch.
11. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(a) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
(c) Shows her how to swim.
(d) Teaches her about horses.
12. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Her baby sister's habits.
(b) Her current situation.
(c) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
(d) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
13. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
(b) Show Bethia the farm.
(c) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
(d) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
14. What does Bethia's name mean?
(b) Lovely one.
(c) Wise one.
(d) Bright one.
15. When did Bethia's mother die?
(b) When Bethia is born.
(c) Three years earlier.
(d) When Caleb is born.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia at first consider outlandish about what Caleb tells her?
2. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
3. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
4. With whom is Bethia's father arguing?
5. When does Bethia expect punishment for her sins?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)