|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Manitouwatootan move closer to Bethia's community?
(a) In gratitude for the help in treating the smallpox.
(b) To have an exchange of ideas.
(c) To learn more about farming.
(d) To learn about European history.
2. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
(a) Most of the White men do not swim.
(b) There is a someone to take care of the horses.
(c) Her father had asked Caleb to forgo Shamic training for now.
(d) She thought he was going to adopt Christianity.
3. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
(a) The women in the colony.
(b) The founding family.
(c) The Wampanoag.
(d) Her family.
4. With whom does Caleb agree to study?
(b) Makepeace and Joel.
(c) No one.
5. Why is Mayfield traveling to England?
(a) To receive knighthood from the king.
(b) To raise funds for his work.
(c) To say goodbye to his dying mother.
(d) To bring back some more colonists.
6. What is Bethia doing when she comes upon a group of Wampanoag dancing?
(a) She is lost in the woods.
(b) Searching for firewood.
(c) Gathering herbs.
(d) Gathering mushrooms.
7. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
(a) Go to the mainland to minister to a small settlement there.
(b) Meet with the Wampanoag tribal council.
(c) Meet with the Merry family.
(d) Officiate at the wedding of his daughter.
8. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
(b) Prepares some beans.
9. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
(a) Talking in church.
(b) Taking the Lord's name in vain.
(c) Talking to a male outside the family.
10. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
(a) About marriage to Bethia.
(b) About the Wampanoag ceremony for manhood.
(c) About a Wampanoag girl Noah likes.
(d) About his sister and her brother marrying.
11. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
(a) Makepeace is rude to Caleb.
(b) She is uneasily drawn to Caleb.
(c) She notices Caleb staring at Solace.
(d) She believes Caleb is staring at her.
12. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
(a) Caleb should stay for lunch.
(b) Her father should go help the Wampanoag.
(c) Makepeace should go with their father.
(d) Noah should escort her home.
13. Why is Bethia envious of Makepeace?
(a) He has a freer life.
(b) He gets to return to the island.
(c) He marries whom he chooses.
(d) He decides to stay in England where he wants to be.
14. How does Bethia see what happens with the whale?
(a) As a theft by the whites.
(b) As an act of kindness to save the whale.
(c) As commendable that the whites are following the agreement with the Wampanoag.
(d) Relief that the whale gets away.
15. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(b) Shows her how to swim.
(c) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
(d) Teaches her about horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia discover about the well?
2. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
3. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
4. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
5. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)