|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
(a) About marriage to Bethia.
(b) About his sister and her brother marrying.
(c) About a Wampanoag girl Noah likes.
(d) About the Wampanoag ceremony for manhood.
2. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
(a) Enlightened one.
(b) Strange one.
(c) Hateful one.
(d) Wise one.
3. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
(a) They are merely the passages appointed for the day and have no connection to Caleb's arrival.
(b) To show his parishioners how liberal minded he is.
(c) To have Caleb read some scripture which he knows thoroughly.
(d) To demonstrate why Caleb should be welcomed.
4. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) The school teacher's famly.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) The mayor's family.
5. Who is Bethia?
(a) The narrator.
(b) The author.
(c) The Mayfield family servant.
(d) A minor character.
6. For what does Bethia long?
(a) The island.
(b) Her deceased Mother.
(c) Her deceased sister.
7. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Makepeace is ill.
(b) Caleb is standing behind her.
(c) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(d) Solace is missing.
8. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
(a) To go in the ocean and wash off the whale blood.
(b) To launder her outer things.
(c) To help strip the whale carcass.
(d) To dance with the Wampanoag.
9. Who are the Wampanoag?
(a) The natives with whom the whites have intermarried.
(b) The tribe that lives on the mainland.
(c) The group of Indians that move off the island when the whites arrived.
(d) The native of the area.
10. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
(a) Learning to speak with the Wampanoag.
(b) Disobeying her father.
(c) Drinking out of the gourd.
(d) Talking with a young Wampanoag male.
11. Who is Tequamuck?
(a) Caleb's grandfather.
(b) Caleb's father.
(c) Caleb's uncle.
(d) A spiritual leader of the Wampanoag.
12. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
(a) When she is sitting on the cliff overlooking the ocean.
(b) When she looks deeply into Caleb's eyes.
(c) When she is dancing with the Wampanoag.
(d) When she is singing by herself in the forest.
13. How does Bethia see what happens with the whale?
(a) As a theft by the whites.
(b) As an act of kindness to save the whale.
(c) Relief that the whale gets away.
(d) As commendable that the whites are following the agreement with the Wampanoag.
14. With what kind of influence are the arguers concerned the new guest will bring?
15. What seems strange to Bethia about the tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Bethia has already spent a great deal of time with Caleb.
(b) Makepeace could help the colony while in England.
(c) Makepeace is a man and should choose his bride.
(d) Makepeace is older now than her father was when her father started a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
2. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
3. How does Bethia explain knowing Wampanoag?
4. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
5. What do the visitors ask?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)