|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the visitors ask?
(a) For help in curing a visiting elder.
(b) To see Bethia's father.
(c) Some food.
(d) To take Bethia back home.
2. What does Bethia discover about the well?
(a) It's been contaminated.
(c) It's gone dry.
(d) It's collapsed.
3. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
(c) Camping grounds.
4. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
(a) To go in the ocean and wash off the whale blood.
(b) To launder her outer things.
(c) To dance with the Wampanoag.
(d) To help strip the whale carcass.
5. What does Tequamuck fail to do?
(a) Drink from the gourd a second time.
(b) Successfully treat the epidemic.
(c) Ask his chief's permission before making Mayfield leave the tribal grounds.
(d) Thank Mayfield.
6. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the trading post.
(b) To the mainland.
(c) To visit an ill cousin.
(d) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
7. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
(a) She notices Caleb staring at Solace.
(b) She is uneasily drawn to Caleb.
(c) She believes Caleb is staring at her.
(d) Makepeace is rude to Caleb.
8. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
(a) That Caleb is smarter than most white men.
(b) His speaking of his own language.
(c) That all men desire power over women.
(d) The exile of the Jews.
9. Where had Bethia gone to do in the story she is telling?
(a) Take some medicine to a Wampanoag woman.
(b) Harvest some beans.
(c) Return a book she had borrowed.
(d) Find her father.
10. For what does Bethia long?
(b) Her deceased Mother.
(c) Her deceased sister.
(d) The island.
11. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
(a) Grooming his horse.
(b) Taking lessons from the tribal shamen.
(d) Giving an early morning greeting to the sun god.
12. How does Bethia explain knowing Wampanoag?
(a) Caleb taught her.
(b) She learned it from Iacoomis.
(c) She learned it in school.
(d) She asked a young Wampanoag girl to teach her.
13. What is Takemmy?
(a) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
(b) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(c) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(d) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
14. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
(a) Back to be with her mother.
(b) Back to the Merrys.
(c) Back to the tent where they were staying.
(d) To the school house.
15. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
(a) When she looks deeply into Caleb's eyes.
(b) When she is sitting on the cliff overlooking the ocean.
(c) When she is singing by herself in the forest.
(d) When she is dancing with the Wampanoag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia pretend when she is with her father?
2. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
3. Who are the Wampanoag?
4. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach?
5. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)