|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
(b) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
(c) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
(d) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
2. Who is Noah Merry?
(a) A merchant's son and possible husband for Bethia.
(b) Another White who thinks the Wampanoag are being mistreated.
(c) The brother of Bethia's best friend.
(d) A young, white man who kills a Wampanoag in a dispute.
3. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
(a) The family who owns the bakery.
(b) The preacher's wife.
(c) An elderly neighbor.
(d) No one.
4. What changes Caleb and Bethia's relationship?
(a) When Caleb told Bethia his true name.
(b) When Bethia told Caleb her true name.
(c) Whe Bethia has her menses.
(d) When Caleb becomes a Christina.
5. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
(a) She has not been given a choice.
(b) She thinks her father is being premature.
(c) She thinks Noah's sister is the wrong person for her brother.
(d) She knows the Wampanoag girl and thinks Noah will hurt her.
6. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
(a) Solace is old enough to care for herself.
(b) The housekeeper.
(d) Makepeace or her father.
7. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
(b) Sips out of the gourd.
(c) Finds Caleb to ask about Tequamuck.
(d) Tries to wake him.
8. What is Bethia's father doing with the Wampanoag?
(a) Teaching them to read and write.
(b) Trying to convince them to move off the island.
(c) Trying to protect their rights.
(d) Converting them to Christianity.
9. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(a) Shows her how to swim.
(b) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
(c) Teaches her about horses.
10. What does Caleb call Bethia?
(a) Sweet one.
(b) Storm eyes.
(c) Bright eyes.
(d) Pale One.
11. Why is there tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Makepeace wants to start his family.
(b) Makepeace wants to go back to England to college.
(c) Makepeace wants to marry someone his father does not want him to marry.
(d) About having Caleb in the house when Bethia is so young.
12. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
(a) Give her a moment to thank God for the day.
(b) Lift her spirits.
(c) Foretell the tragedy that is to come.
(d) Give her time to herself.
13. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach?
(a) The white community gathers to slaughter it.
(b) The Wampanoag are contacted by the white community to claim it.
(c) Everyone works together to get it back into the ocean.
(d) The whites prepare to slaughter it, but it unbeaches itself and swims off.
14. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
(a) Taking the Lord's name in vain.
(c) Talking in church.
(d) Talking to a male outside the family.
15. What does Tequamuck fail to do?
(a) Drink from the gourd a second time.
(b) Successfully treat the epidemic.
(c) Ask his chief's permission before making Mayfield leave the tribal grounds.
(d) Thank Mayfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
2. How does Bethia explain knowing Wampanoag?
3. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
4. Who is Tequamuck?
5. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)