|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(b) Shows her how to swim.
(c) Teaches her about horses.
(d) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
2. What is a pawaaw?
(a) Spiritual leader.
(b) A storyteller.
(c) A light keeper.
(d) A fire keeper.
3. What is Bethia's father doing with the Wampanoag?
(a) Trying to convince them to move off the island.
(b) Teaching them to read and write.
(c) Trying to protect their rights.
(d) Converting them to Christianity.
4. Who is Tequamuck?
(a) Caleb's grandfather.
(b) Caleb's uncle.
(c) A spiritual leader of the Wampanoag.
(d) Caleb's father.
5. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
(a) There has never been a beached whale before.
(b) It is shared among all the occupants of the island.
(c) It belongs to the Wampanoag.
(d) Two men from the two groups have a friendly wrestling match to win rights to the whale.
6. Who is Caleb?
(a) The Mayfield groom.
(b) Bethia's oldest brother.
(c) A native American young man.
(d) The preacher.
7. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(b) He has missed being with her.
(c) He is sorry her mother died.
(d) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
8. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
(a) Foretell the tragedy that is to come.
(b) Lift her spirits.
(c) Give her time to herself.
(d) Give her a moment to thank God for the day.
9. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
(b) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
(c) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
(d) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
10. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
(a) An argument with her friend about the Wampanoag's rights.
(b) A fight with her father.
(c) An argument with her brother about his friend he wants her to marry.
(d) The music and energy of the Wampanoag dancing.
11. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
(a) She is helping her brother move there.
(b) She is a housekeeper there.
(c) She is attending advanced studies there.
(d) She is serving as an accountant there.
12. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) Having her life choices made for her.
(b) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
(c) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
(d) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
13. With whom does Caleb develop a close friendship over time?
(d) Pastor Mayfield.
14. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
(a) For not praying for her mother enough.
(b) Because her brother suggets that Bethia did something wrong.
(c) Because she argued with her mother not long before she died.
(d) For having drunk out of the gourd.
15. What does Bethia's name mean?
(a) Wise one.
(b) Lovely one.
(c) Bright one.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
2. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
3. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
4. With whom does Caleb agree to study?
5. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)