|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
(b) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(c) Because of Caleb's arrival.
(d) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
2. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
(a) Meet with the Wampanoag tribal council.
(b) Go to the mainland to minister to a small settlement there.
(c) Meet with the Merry family.
(d) Officiate at the wedding of his daughter.
3. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach?
(a) The Wampanoag are contacted by the white community to claim it.
(b) The white community gathers to slaughter it.
(c) The whites prepare to slaughter it, but it unbeaches itself and swims off.
(d) Everyone works together to get it back into the ocean.
4. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
(a) About his sister and her brother marrying.
(b) About the Wampanoag ceremony for manhood.
(c) About marriage to Bethia.
(d) About a Wampanoag girl Noah likes.
5. What changes Caleb and Bethia's relationship?
(a) When Caleb told Bethia his true name.
(b) When Caleb becomes a Christina.
(c) Whe Bethia has her menses.
(d) When Bethia told Caleb her true name.
6. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
(a) Lift her spirits.
(b) Foretell the tragedy that is to come.
(c) Give her a moment to thank God for the day.
(d) Give her time to herself.
7. What is the name of Bethia's community?
(a) King's Bay.
(b) Grand Harbor.
(c) Great Harbor.
(d) Nantucket Harbor.
8. What does Bethia discover about the well?
(a) It's gone dry.
(b) It's collapsed.
(c) It's been contaminated.
9. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
(a) The music and energy of the Wampanoag dancing.
(b) A fight with her father.
(c) An argument with her brother about his friend he wants her to marry.
(d) An argument with her friend about the Wampanoag's rights.
10. On what does is Caleb introduced to the community?
(a) On Friday evening.
(b) At a meeting of the parrish on Wednesday evening.
(c) The Sabbath.
(d) At a meeting by the governing elders on Monday.
11. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(b) He is sorry her mother died.
(c) He has missed being with her.
(d) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
12. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Tell the story of her past.
(b) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(c) Watch over her younger sister.
(d) Avoid marriage.
13. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
(a) There has never been a beached whale before.
(b) It belongs to the Wampanoag.
(c) Two men from the two groups have a friendly wrestling match to win rights to the whale.
(d) It is shared among all the occupants of the island.
14. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
(a) He will help convert the rest of his people.
(b) He has no plans or hopes for Caleb.
(c) He will want to marry Bethia.
(d) He can get in to a university.
15. What is Takemmy?
(a) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(b) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
(c) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(d) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
2. Why is Bethia envious of Makepeace?
3. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
4. What does Caleb do for Solace?
5. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)