|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
(b) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
(c) Having her life choices made for her.
(d) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
2. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
(a) Two men from the two groups have a friendly wrestling match to win rights to the whale.
(b) It belongs to the Wampanoag.
(c) It is shared among all the occupants of the island.
(d) There has never been a beached whale before.
3. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
(b) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
(c) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
(d) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
4. What is Bethia's father doing with the Wampanoag?
(a) Trying to convince them to move off the island.
(b) Converting them to Christianity.
(c) Teaching them to read and write.
(d) Trying to protect their rights.
5. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
(a) No one.
(b) The family who owns the bakery.
(c) An elderly neighbor.
(d) The preacher's wife.
6. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
(a) To help strip the whale carcass.
(b) To launder her outer things.
(c) To dance with the Wampanoag.
(d) To go in the ocean and wash off the whale blood.
7. What changes Caleb and Bethia's relationship?
(a) Whe Bethia has her menses.
(b) When Bethia told Caleb her true name.
(c) When Caleb told Bethia his true name.
(d) When Caleb becomes a Christina.
8. When did Bethia's mother die?
(a) When Bethia is born.
(b) Three years earlier.
(d) When Caleb is born.
9. Who is Bethia?
(a) The Mayfield family servant.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The author.
(d) A minor character.
10. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
(a) They move away from the whites.
(b) They are stricken with smallpox.
(c) They all convert.
(d) They are stricken with malaria.
11. Who is Iacoomis?
(a) A Wampanoag native who tried to lead an uprising against the whites.
(b) A Wampanoag who knows how to read and write English.
(c) A Wampanoag who teaches the Mayfield family the Wampanoag language.
(d) A Wampanoag who is interested in how the whites farm.
12. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
(a) That all men desire power over women.
(b) His speaking of his own language.
(c) The exile of the Jews.
(d) That Caleb is smarter than most white men.
13. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
(a) At age 15.
(b) At age 12.
(c) At birth.
(d) At age 10.
14. What does Tequamuck fail to do?
(a) Drink from the gourd a second time.
(b) Thank Mayfield.
(c) Ask his chief's permission before making Mayfield leave the tribal grounds.
(d) Successfully treat the epidemic.
15. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) Her father.
(b) The school teacher's famly.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) The mayor's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bethia say she is so tired in Chapter 11?
2. What has the sonquem asked of Mayfield?
3. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
4. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
5. Where is Master Corlett's school?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)