|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia say she feels about the Wampanoag?
(a) She has come to identify with them.
(b) She thinks they are too savage to ever be Christians.
(c) She believes they are God's children, though inferior.
(d) She has not met one in person.
2. Where is Solace found?
(a) Being attacked by some wild dogs.
(b) In the stables.
(c) In a tree.
(d) Drowned in the new well.
3. What does Bethia pretend when she is with her father?
(a) She would love some linen to make a dress.
(b) She wants to marry her brother's friend.
(c) She believes her cousin will get well.
(d) She does not speak the language of the Wampanoag.
4. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
(a) She needs to be careful in what she studies.
(b) It's not good for a pretty girl.
(c) Bethia has learned too much already and is not desirable as a bride.
(d) She can never learn too much.
5. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love for the preacher's boy.
(b) Love for her brother.
(c) Love of the island.
(d) Love for her dog.
6. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
(d) Prepares some beans.
7. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
(a) Bethia thinks she is to blame for the death.
(b) Her mother did not fear death.
(c) Her mother wanted to die.
(d) Her mother will not go to heaven.
8. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) Her father.
(b) The school teacher's famly.
(c) The mayor's family.
(d) Her grandfather.
9. What does Bethia discover about the well?
(a) It's gone dry.
(c) It's been contaminated.
(d) It's collapsed.
10. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
(a) They move away from the whites.
(b) They all convert.
(c) They are stricken with malaria.
(d) They are stricken with smallpox.
11. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
(a) Her life in England.
(b) Her life with Caleb.
(c) Her life in Cambridge.
(d) Her life in Nantucket.
12. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
(a) Talking with a young Wampanoag male.
(b) Learning to speak with the Wampanoag.
(c) Disobeying her father.
(d) Drinking out of the gourd.
13. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
(b) Camping grounds.
14. What does Bethia's father wonder?
(a) Why Bethia would think Makepeace should go with him.
(b) How Bethia understood the Wampanoag.
(c) Why Bethia wants Noah to escort her home.
(d) Why Bethia would suggest a native have lunch with them.
15. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
(a) No one.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bethia say she will continue to do what she has been doing?
2. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
3. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
4. What does Bethia's name mean?
5. Why is there tension between Makepeace and his father?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)