|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
(a) Makepeace or her father.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) Solace is old enough to care for herself.
2. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
(b) Her current situation.
(c) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
(d) Her baby sister's habits.
3. On what does is Caleb introduced to the community?
(a) The Sabbath.
(b) On Friday evening.
(c) At a meeting by the governing elders on Monday.
(d) At a meeting of the parrish on Wednesday evening.
4. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(a) No one.
(b) Bethia's brother.
5. How does Bethia resolve to tell her story?
(c) Less emotionally.
(d) As a disinterested outsider.
6. What does Tequamuck do with a gourd?
(a) Drink a foul-smelling liquid out of it.
(b) Pour water from it as an offering.
(d) Smash it in a ceremony.
7. How does Bethia consider her life at this time?
8. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Show Bethia the farm.
(b) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
(c) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
(d) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
9. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
(a) Talking in church.
(b) Taking the Lord's name in vain.
(c) Talking to a male outside the family.
10. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
(a) She is tired.
(b) She wants to be away when her father comes home.
(c) She wants to be away when Caleb comes home.
(d) The weather is beautiful.
11. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
(a) Talking with a young Wampanoag male.
(b) Drinking out of the gourd.
(c) Learning to speak with the Wampanoag.
(d) Disobeying her father.
12. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
(a) Tell her Solace is her responsibility
(b) Search for Solace.
(d) Reassure Bethia.
13. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because of Caleb's arrival.
(b) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(c) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(d) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
14. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
(b) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
(c) Having her life choices made for her.
(d) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
15. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
(a) That Caleb is smarter than most white men.
(b) The exile of the Jews.
(c) His speaking of his own language.
(d) That all men desire power over women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
2. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
3. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
4. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
5. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)