|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tequamuck fail to do?
(a) Thank Mayfield.
(b) Successfully treat the epidemic.
(c) Ask his chief's permission before making Mayfield leave the tribal grounds.
(d) Drink from the gourd a second time.
2. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
(a) Giving an early morning greeting to the sun god.
(b) Taking lessons from the tribal shamen.
(d) Grooming his horse.
3. Who is Bethia?
(a) The Mayfield family servant.
(b) The narrator.
(c) A minor character.
(d) The author.
4. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the trading post.
(b) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
(c) To the mainland.
(d) To visit an ill cousin.
5. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
(a) She wants to be away when Caleb comes home.
(b) She is tired.
(c) She wants to be away when her father comes home.
(d) The weather is beautiful.
6. With whom is Bethia's father arguing?
(a) The precher.
(b) Bethia's mother.
(c) Bethia's brother.
(d) The neighbor.
7. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
(a) He has no plans or hopes for Caleb.
(b) He will help convert the rest of his people.
(c) He will want to marry Bethia.
(d) He can get in to a university.
8. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her sister.
(d) No one.
9. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
(a) She thinks her father is being premature.
(b) She knows the Wampanoag girl and thinks Noah will hurt her.
(c) She thinks Noah's sister is the wrong person for her brother.
(d) She has not been given a choice.
10. With whom does Caleb develop a close friendship over time?
(c) Pastor Mayfield.
11. Why does Bethia say she will continue to do what she has been doing?
(a) In order to understand herself better.
(b) She thinks the rights of the Native population are being denied.
(c) So she can remain independent.
(d) Her younger sister is a little bit of an hysteric.
12. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
(c) Camping grounds.
13. What is Takemmy?
(a) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
(b) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(c) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(d) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
14. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
(a) To demonstrate why Caleb should be welcomed.
(b) To show his parishioners how liberal minded he is.
(c) They are merely the passages appointed for the day and have no connection to Caleb's arrival.
(d) To have Caleb read some scripture which he knows thoroughly.
15. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
(a) Talking to a male outside the family.
(b) Talking in church.
(c) Taking the Lord's name in vain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
2. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
3. What does Bethia's name mean?
4. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
5. How does Caleb treat the book Bethia is reading?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)