|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Wampanoag?
(a) The tribe that lives on the mainland.
(b) The natives with whom the whites have intermarried.
(c) The native of the area.
(d) The group of Indians that move off the island when the whites arrived.
2. What does Bethia's name mean?
(a) Lovely one.
(b) Bright one.
(c) Wise one.
3. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
(a) The music and energy of the Wampanoag dancing.
(b) An argument with her friend about the Wampanoag's rights.
(c) An argument with her brother about his friend he wants her to marry.
(d) A fight with her father.
4. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
(a) Strange one.
(b) Hateful one.
(c) Wise one.
(d) Enlightened one.
5. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
(a) To launder her outer things.
(b) To help strip the whale carcass.
(c) To go in the ocean and wash off the whale blood.
(d) To dance with the Wampanoag.
6. Why does Bethia say she will continue to do what she has been doing?
(a) She thinks the rights of the Native population are being denied.
(b) In order to understand herself better.
(c) Her younger sister is a little bit of an hysteric.
(d) So she can remain independent.
7. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Her baby sister's habits.
(b) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
(c) Her current situation.
(d) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
8. When does Bethia expect punishment for her sins?
(a) Only if her father learns of her sin.
(b) Not in her present world.
(d) She does not say.
9. When did Bethia's mother die?
(b) When Bethia is born.
(c) When Caleb is born.
(d) Three years earlier.
10. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
(a) For having drunk out of the gourd.
(b) Because her brother suggets that Bethia did something wrong.
(c) For not praying for her mother enough.
(d) Because she argued with her mother not long before she died.
11. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
(a) An elderly neighbor.
(b) The family who owns the bakery.
(c) The preacher's wife.
(d) No one.
12. Why is Mayfield traveling to England?
(a) To receive knighthood from the king.
(b) To raise funds for his work.
(c) To bring back some more colonists.
(d) To say goodbye to his dying mother.
13. What is Takemmy?
(a) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
(b) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
(c) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(d) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
14. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
(a) She is tired.
(b) The weather is beautiful.
(c) She wants to be away when Caleb comes home.
(d) She wants to be away when her father comes home.
15. Who is Iacoomis?
(a) A Wampanoag who knows how to read and write English.
(b) A Wampanoag who teaches the Mayfield family the Wampanoag language.
(c) A Wampanoag native who tried to lead an uprising against the whites.
(d) A Wampanoag who is interested in how the whites farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
2. What comment by Noah catches Bethia's attention?
3. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
4. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
5. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)