|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because of Caleb's arrival.
(b) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
(c) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(d) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
2. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
(b) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
(c) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
(d) Having her life choices made for her.
3. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
(a) Her family.
(b) The Wampanoag.
(c) The founding family.
(d) The women in the colony.
4. On what does is Caleb introduced to the community?
(a) The Sabbath.
(b) At a meeting by the governing elders on Monday.
(c) On Friday evening.
(d) At a meeting of the parrish on Wednesday evening.
5. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
(a) Drinking out of the gourd.
(b) Talking with a young Wampanoag male.
(c) Learning to speak with the Wampanoag.
(d) Disobeying her father.
6. What seems strange to Bethia about the tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Makepeace could help the colony while in England.
(b) Bethia has already spent a great deal of time with Caleb.
(c) Makepeace is older now than her father was when her father started a family.
(d) Makepeace is a man and should choose his bride.
7. For what does Bethia long?
(b) The island.
(c) Her deceased Mother.
(d) Her deceased sister.
8. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
(b) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
(c) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
(d) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
9. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
(a) Her life with Caleb.
(b) Her life in Cambridge.
(c) Her life in England.
(d) Her life in Nantucket.
10. What is Bethia's father doing with the Wampanoag?
(a) Trying to protect their rights.
(b) Trying to convince them to move off the island.
(c) Teaching them to read and write.
(d) Converting them to Christianity.
11. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
(c) Storm Eyes.
(d) Sweet One.
12. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
(b) Tell her Solace is her responsibility
(c) Reassure Bethia.
(d) Search for Solace.
13. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
(a) Meet with the Merry family.
(b) Go to the mainland to minister to a small settlement there.
(c) Officiate at the wedding of his daughter.
(d) Meet with the Wampanoag tribal council.
14. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love for her brother.
(b) Love for her dog.
(c) Love of the island.
(d) Love for the preacher's boy.
15. Where is Master Corlett's school?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
2. Where is Bethia sent after the sonquem responds to Mayfield's initial treatment?
3. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
4. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
5. How does Bethia see what happens with the whale?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)