|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(c) Bethia's brother.
(d) No one.
2. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
(a) Because her brother suggets that Bethia did something wrong.
(b) For having drunk out of the gourd.
(c) Because she argued with her mother not long before she died.
(d) For not praying for her mother enough.
3. Who comes to the Merry mill for help?
(b) Two young Wampanoag.
(d) A young man from the mainland.
4. Why is Mayfield traveling to England?
(a) To say goodbye to his dying mother.
(b) To receive knighthood from the king.
(c) To bring back some more colonists.
(d) To raise funds for his work.
5. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
(a) No one.
6. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Tell the story of her past.
(b) Avoid marriage.
(c) Plead for the rights of the native population.
(d) Watch over her younger sister.
7. Who is Tequamuck?
(a) Caleb's father.
(b) Caleb's uncle.
(c) A spiritual leader of the Wampanoag.
(d) Caleb's grandfather.
8. How does Bethia resolve to tell her story?
(b) As a disinterested outsider.
(d) Less emotionally.
9. What does Caleb's reading of Hebrew bring to Bethia's mind?
(a) His speaking of his own language.
(b) The exile of the Jews.
(c) That all men desire power over women.
(d) That Caleb is smarter than most white men.
10. What is the name of Bethia's community?
(a) Great Harbor.
(b) King's Bay.
(c) Nantucket Harbor.
(d) Grand Harbor.
11. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
(a) Go to the mainland to minister to a small settlement there.
(b) Meet with the Merry family.
(c) Meet with the Wampanoag tribal council.
(d) Officiate at the wedding of his daughter.
12. Why does Bethia do as many chores as she does?
(a) Atonement for sins against her mother.
(b) She likes to stay busy.
(c) The housekeeper is ill.
(d) The housekeeper died.
13. What does Tequamuck fail to do?
(a) Thank Mayfield.
(b) Ask his chief's permission before making Mayfield leave the tribal grounds.
(c) Successfully treat the epidemic.
(d) Drink from the gourd a second time.
14. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
(a) Wise one.
(b) Hateful one.
(c) Enlightened one.
(d) Strange one.
15. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
(b) Taking lessons from the tribal shamen.
(c) Giving an early morning greeting to the sun god.
(d) Grooming his horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Caleb when Noah comes around?
2. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
3. Upon what does Bethia's narration focus in this section?
4. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
5. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)