Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who established the colony where Bethia lives?
(a) The mayor's family.
(b) The school teacher's famly.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandfather.
2. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
(a) Her father should go help the Wampanoag.
(b) Noah should escort her home.
(c) Caleb should stay for lunch.
(d) Makepeace should go with their father.
3. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) As Grandmother.
(b) In the Wampanoag language.
(c) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
(d) As Elder Mother.
4. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
(a) The weather is beautiful.
(b) She wants to be away when her father comes home.
(c) She wants to be away when Caleb comes home.
(d) She is tired.
5. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
(a) When she is sitting on the cliff overlooking the ocean.
(b) When she looks deeply into Caleb's eyes.
(c) When she is singing by herself in the forest.
(d) When she is dancing with the Wampanoag.
6. What does Bethia say she often does?
(a) Talk to her Mother as if she were right there.
(b) Breaks down in tears of grief.
(c) Wishes she had never taken a sip from the gourd.
(d) Wishes she were a man.
7. How does Bethia see what happens with the whale?
(a) As a theft by the whites.
(b) As commendable that the whites are following the agreement with the Wampanoag.
(c) Relief that the whale gets away.
(d) As an act of kindness to save the whale.
8. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
(a) Her father.
(b) No one.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her sister.
9. What does Bethia at first consider outlandish about what Caleb tells her?
(a) The many gods of the Wampanoag.
(b) Their gods live everywhere.
(c) He is in exile from his people though he lives with them.
(d) He will never marry.
10. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
(a) Grooming his horse.
(b) Taking lessons from the tribal shamen.
(d) Giving an early morning greeting to the sun god.
11. What does Bethia do when she returns from her errand?
(c) Prepares some beans.
12. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
(a) It belongs to the Wampanoag.
(b) It is shared among all the occupants of the island.
(c) There has never been a beached whale before.
(d) Two men from the two groups have a friendly wrestling match to win rights to the whale.
13. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
(a) If her father would ever let her marry him.
(b) If his ordeal was God's will.
(c) If he would ever become a Christian.
(d) Why he even speaks to her.
14. What does Caleb call Bethia?
(a) Sweet one.
(b) Bright eyes.
(c) Storm eyes.
(d) Pale One.
15. Why does Bethia say she is so tired in Chapter 11?
(a) From lying awake for several nights writing her confession.
(b) From doing her mother's work as well as her own.
(c) From running back and forth between the fields and the kitchen.
(d) She does not know why she is so tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
2. What does Bethia pretend when she is with her father?
3. Who is Caleb?
4. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
5. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)