|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
(b) Finds Caleb to ask about Tequamuck.
(c) Tries to wake him.
(d) Sips out of the gourd.
2. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
(a) Talking with a young Wampanoag male.
(b) Disobeying her father.
(c) Drinking out of the gourd.
(d) Learning to speak with the Wampanoag.
3. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
(b) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
(c) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
(d) Show Bethia the farm.
4. What does Tequamuck do with a gourd?
(a) Drink a foul-smelling liquid out of it.
(b) Pour water from it as an offering.
(c) Smash it in a ceremony.
5. Who is Bethia?
(a) The author.
(b) The Mayfield family servant.
(c) The narrator.
(d) A minor character.
6. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Caleb is standing behind her.
(b) Makepeace is ill.
(c) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(d) Solace is missing.
7. What does Bethia's name mean?
(b) Wise one.
(c) Lovely one.
(d) Bright one.
8. Why is there tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Makepeace wants to go back to England to college.
(b) Makepeace wants to start his family.
(c) Makepeace wants to marry someone his father does not want him to marry.
(d) About having Caleb in the house when Bethia is so young.
9. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
(b) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
(c) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
(d) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
10. When does Bethia expect punishment for her sins?
(a) Not in her present world.
(b) She does not say.
(d) Only if her father learns of her sin.
11. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
(a) At age 10.
(b) At age 12.
(c) At birth.
(d) At age 15.
12. What does Caleb's "real" name mean?
(a) Enlightened one.
(b) Strange one.
(c) Wise one.
(d) Hateful one.
13. What is the name of Bethia's community?
(a) Grand Harbor.
(b) King's Bay.
(c) Great Harbor.
(d) Nantucket Harbor.
14. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
(b) Having her life choices made for her.
(c) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
(d) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
15. What is Bethia's father doing with the Wampanoag?
(a) Converting them to Christianity.
(b) Trying to protect their rights.
(c) Trying to convince them to move off the island.
(d) Teaching them to read and write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia say she often does?
2. How does Bethia see Caleb at this time?
3. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
4. What is Bethia doing when she comes upon a group of Wampanoag dancing?
5. Where is Master Corlett's school?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)