|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
(a) The music and energy of the Wampanoag dancing.
(b) An argument with her friend about the Wampanoag's rights.
(c) A fight with her father.
(d) An argument with her brother about his friend he wants her to marry.
2. What does Bethia's name mean?
(a) Bright one.
(b) Lovely one.
(d) Wise one.
3. What is Takemmy?
(a) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(b) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(c) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
(d) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
4. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(b) He has missed being with her.
(c) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
(d) He is sorry her mother died.
5. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
(a) Bethia thinks she is to blame for the death.
(b) Her mother will not go to heaven.
(c) Her mother did not fear death.
(d) Her mother wanted to die.
6. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
(a) They are stricken with smallpox.
(b) They move away from the whites.
(c) They all convert.
(d) They are stricken with malaria.
7. What does Bethia's father wonder?
(a) How Bethia understood the Wampanoag.
(b) Why Bethia wants Noah to escort her home.
(c) Why Bethia would think Makepeace should go with him.
(d) Why Bethia would suggest a native have lunch with them.
8. Who are the Wampanoag?
(a) The tribe that lives on the mainland.
(b) The natives with whom the whites have intermarried.
(c) The native of the area.
(d) The group of Indians that move off the island when the whites arrived.
9. How does Bethia see Caleb at this time?
(a) As a stranger.
(b) As being deceived.
(c) More and more like a white man.
(d) As a good friend.
10. With whom does Caleb agree to study?
(a) No one.
(b) Makepeace and Joel.
11. What does Caleb do for Solace?
(b) Shows her how to swim.
(c) Teaches her about horses.
(d) Puts a doll and other things in her casket.
12. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
(d) No one.
13. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Caleb is standing behind her.
(b) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
(c) Solace is missing.
(d) Makepeace is ill.
14. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
(a) When she is sitting on the cliff overlooking the ocean.
(b) When she is dancing with the Wampanoag.
(c) When she is singing by herself in the forest.
(d) When she looks deeply into Caleb's eyes.
15. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
(a) Giving an early morning greeting to the sun god.
(b) Taking lessons from the tribal shamen.
(c) Grooming his horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
2. What does Bethia pretend when she is with her father?
3. How does Bethia resolve to tell her story?
4. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
5. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)