|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
(a) To have Caleb read some scripture which he knows thoroughly.
(b) To demonstrate why Caleb should be welcomed.
(c) They are merely the passages appointed for the day and have no connection to Caleb's arrival.
(d) To show his parishioners how liberal minded he is.
2. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
(a) Give her a moment to thank God for the day.
(b) Give her time to herself.
(c) Foretell the tragedy that is to come.
(d) Lift her spirits.
3. What is Takemmy?
(a) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
(b) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(c) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(d) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
4. When did Bethia's mother die?
(a) When Bethia is born.
(b) When Caleb is born.
(c) Three years earlier.
5. Who is Bethia?
(a) The Mayfield family servant.
(b) The narrator.
(c) A minor character.
(d) The author.
6. With whom does Caleb develop a close friendship over time?
(c) Pastor Mayfield.
7. What has Caleb been doing the next morning when Bethia encounters him?
(b) Giving an early morning greeting to the sun god.
(c) Grooming his horse.
(d) Taking lessons from the tribal shamen.
8. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
(a) The Wampanoag.
(b) The women in the colony.
(c) Her family.
(d) The founding family.
9. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He is sorry her mother died.
(b) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(c) He has missed being with her.
(d) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
10. Who does Bethia believe will care for Solace?
(a) Makepeace or her father.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) Solace is old enough to care for herself.
11. What does Bethia's name mean?
(a) Wise one.
(c) Lovely one.
(d) Bright one.
12. What does Bethia wonder about what the sonquem asks?
(a) If her father would oppose a marriage to Caleb.
(b) If the sonquem would have recovered no matter what.
(c) If Makepeace is smart enough to learn the language of the Wampanoag.
(d) If perhaps Bethia will be able to see Caleb again.
13. What is the name of Bethia's community?
(a) King's Bay.
(b) Grand Harbor.
(c) Nantucket Harbor.
(d) Great Harbor.
14. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
(a) When she is singing by herself in the forest.
(b) When she is sitting on the cliff overlooking the ocean.
(c) When she is dancing with the Wampanoag.
(d) When she looks deeply into Caleb's eyes.
15. What does Caleb call Bethia?
(a) Pale One.
(b) Sweet one.
(c) Bright eyes.
(d) Storm eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
2. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
3. What does Bethia say she often does?
4. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
5. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)