|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
(a) When she looks deeply into Caleb's eyes.
(b) When she is dancing with the Wampanoag.
(c) When she is sitting on the cliff overlooking the ocean.
(d) When she is singing by herself in the forest.
2. With what kind of influence are the arguers concerned the new guest will bring?
3. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
4. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
(a) Because her brother suggets that Bethia did something wrong.
(b) For having drunk out of the gourd.
(c) Because she argued with her mother not long before she died.
(d) For not praying for her mother enough.
5. How does Bethia resolve to tell her story?
(c) Less emotionally.
(d) As a disinterested outsider.
6. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her sister.
(c) No one.
(d) Her brother.
7. What does Bethia suddenly discover?
(a) Makepeace is ill.
(b) Caleb is standing behind her.
(c) Solace is missing.
(d) There is a rattler in the kitchen.
8. To whom does Bethia apprentice herself?
(a) An elderly neighbor.
(b) No one.
(c) The family who owns the bakery.
(d) The preacher's wife.
9. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Her current situation.
(b) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
(c) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
(d) Her baby sister's habits.
10. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
(a) The music and energy of the Wampanoag dancing.
(b) An argument with her friend about the Wampanoag's rights.
(c) An argument with her brother about his friend he wants her to marry.
(d) A fight with her father.
11. Why is there tension between Makepeace and his father?
(a) Makepeace wants to start his family.
(b) Makepeace wants to marry someone his father does not want him to marry.
(c) About having Caleb in the house when Bethia is so young.
(d) Makepeace wants to go back to England to college.
12. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
(a) At age 12.
(b) At age 15.
(c) At birth.
(d) At age 10.
13. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
(a) She is attending advanced studies there.
(b) She is a housekeeper there.
(c) She is helping her brother move there.
(d) She is serving as an accountant there.
14. What does Bethia's father wonder?
(a) Why Bethia would suggest a native have lunch with them.
(b) How Bethia understood the Wampanoag.
(c) Why Bethia would think Makepeace should go with him.
(d) Why Bethia wants Noah to escort her home.
15. Why do the Manitouwatootan move closer to Bethia's community?
(a) To learn more about farming.
(b) To learn about European history.
(c) To have an exchange of ideas.
(d) In gratitude for the help in treating the smallpox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mayfield hope for Caleb?
2. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
3. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
4. What is Takemmy?
5. What does Caleb call Bethia?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)