|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia's father say about Bethia learning too much?
(a) It's not good for a pretty girl.
(b) She can never learn too much.
(c) She needs to be careful in what she studies.
(d) Bethia has learned too much already and is not desirable as a bride.
2. Who comes to the Merry mill for help?
(a) A young man from the mainland.
(b) Two young Wampanoag.
3. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
(b) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
(c) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
(d) Show Bethia the farm.
4. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
(b) To the trading post.
(c) To the mainland.
(d) To visit an ill cousin.
5. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
(b) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
(c) Having her life choices made for her.
(d) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
6. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
(b) Storm Eyes.
(c) Sweet One.
7. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
(a) She wants to be away when Caleb comes home.
(b) The weather is beautiful.
(c) She wants to be away when her father comes home.
(d) She is tired.
8. What does Bethia at first consider outlandish about what Caleb tells her?
(a) The many gods of the Wampanoag.
(b) He will never marry.
(c) Their gods live everywhere.
(d) He is in exile from his people though he lives with them.
9. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
(a) To live in one of the vacated homes in the White community.
(b) To travel back and forth between his village and the White community.
(c) To allow Caleb to determine his own living situation.
(d) To live with the Mayfield family.
10. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
11. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
(a) Why he even speaks to her.
(b) If her father would ever let her marry him.
(c) If he would ever become a Christian.
(d) If his ordeal was God's will.
12. With whom is Bethia's father arguing?
(a) The precher.
(b) Bethia's brother.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) Bethia's mother.
13. What does Caleb say often change with his people?
(a) Camping grounds.
14. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
(a) Nausea and then unconsciousness.
(b) A feeling of euphoria.
(c) Severe anxiety.
15. For what does Bethia long?
(a) Her deceased Mother.
(b) The island.
(d) Her deceased sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caleb call Bethia?
2. What does Bethia impulsively suggest?
3. Who is Iacoomis?
4. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
5. What happens to the Indian community to which Tequamuck belongs?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)