|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb call Bethia?
(a) Storm eyes.
(b) Pale One.
(c) Bright eyes.
(d) Sweet one.
2. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
(a) Tell her Solace is her responsibility
(c) Reassure Bethia.
(d) Search for Solace.
3. What is Bethia's father doing with the Wampanoag?
(a) Teaching them to read and write.
(b) Trying to convince them to move off the island.
(c) Trying to protect their rights.
(d) Converting them to Christianity.
4. What does the perfect day Bethia is experiencing fail to do?
(a) Foretell the tragedy that is to come.
(b) Lift her spirits.
(c) Give her time to herself.
(d) Give her a moment to thank God for the day.
5. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
6. Where is Solace found?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In the stables.
(c) Being attacked by some wild dogs.
(d) Drowned in the new well.
7. Why does Bethia take time on her task?
(a) The weather is beautiful.
(b) She is tired.
(c) She wants to be away when her father comes home.
(d) She wants to be away when Caleb comes home.
8. Who is Tequamuck?
(a) Caleb's grandfather.
(b) Caleb's uncle.
(c) Caleb's father.
(d) A spiritual leader of the Wampanoag.
9. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
(a) To go in the ocean and wash off the whale blood.
(b) To dance with the Wampanoag.
(c) To launder her outer things.
(d) To help strip the whale carcass.
10. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
(a) She is serving as an accountant there.
(b) She is a housekeeper there.
(c) She is helping her brother move there.
(d) She is attending advanced studies there.
11. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) In the Wampanoag language.
(b) As Elder Mother.
(c) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
(d) As Grandmother.
12. What does Bethia wonder about Caleb?
(a) Why he even speaks to her.
(b) If his ordeal was God's will.
(c) If her father would ever let her marry him.
(d) If he would ever become a Christian.
13. Why is Bethia angry after what Noah says?
(a) She has not been given a choice.
(b) She thinks her father is being premature.
(c) She thinks Noah's sister is the wrong person for her brother.
(d) She knows the Wampanoag girl and thinks Noah will hurt her.
14. How does Bethia see Caleb at this time?
(a) As being deceived.
(b) As a stranger.
(c) As a good friend.
(d) More and more like a white man.
15. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) To the trading post.
(b) To the mainland.
(c) To visit an ill cousin.
(d) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
2. What does Bethia's father plan for Caleb's living situation?
3. What does Bethia say she feels about the Wampanoag?
4. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
5. Why does Bethia say she is so tired in Chapter 11?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)