|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Wampanoag?
(a) The native of the area.
(b) The natives with whom the whites have intermarried.
(c) The group of Indians that move off the island when the whites arrived.
(d) The tribe that lives on the mainland.
2. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
(a) Her mother wanted to die.
(b) Her mother did not fear death.
(c) Bethia thinks she is to blame for the death.
(d) Her mother will not go to heaven.
3. Where is Solace found?
(a) In the stables.
(b) Being attacked by some wild dogs.
(c) Drowned in the new well.
(d) In a tree.
4. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(b) Bethia's brother.
(c) No one.
5. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love for her dog.
(b) Love for her brother.
(c) Love of the island.
(d) Love for the preacher's boy.
6. Who interferes in the sonquem's request?
(c) No one.
7. How does Bethia feel when she wakes a few minutes later?
8. What is the name of Bethia's community?
(a) King's Bay.
(b) Great Harbor.
(c) Nantucket Harbor.
(d) Grand Harbor.
9. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
(a) Makepeace is rude to Caleb.
(b) She notices Caleb staring at Solace.
(c) She is uneasily drawn to Caleb.
(d) She believes Caleb is staring at her.
10. How does Bethia address the woman who waits on her and her father?
(a) As Grandmother.
(b) In the Wampanoag language.
(c) As Elder Mother.
(d) She does not talk to her as that would be disrespectful.
11. What does Bethia experience after the action that Satan supposedly prompted?
(a) Nausea and then unconsciousness.
(c) A feeling of euphoria.
(d) Severe anxiety.
12. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
(b) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(c) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(d) Because of Caleb's arrival.
13. Why is Bethia at Master Corlett's school?
(a) She is attending advanced studies there.
(b) She is serving as an accountant there.
(c) She is helping her brother move there.
(d) She is a housekeeper there.
14. Why is Mayfield traveling to England?
(a) To say goodbye to his dying mother.
(b) To bring back some more colonists.
(c) To receive knighthood from the king.
(d) To raise funds for his work.
15. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
(a) To help strip the whale carcass.
(b) To dance with the Wampanoag.
(c) To launder her outer things.
(d) To go in the ocean and wash off the whale blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what kind of influence are the arguers concerned the new guest will bring?
2. For what does Bethia long?
3. What does Grandfather Mayfield ask Pastor Mayfield to do?
4. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
5. Why do the Manitouwatootan move closer to Bethia's community?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)