|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia do when she sees Tequamuck lying in a trance?
(a) Sips out of the gourd.
(c) Tries to wake him.
(d) Finds Caleb to ask about Tequamuck.
2. When did Bethia's mother die?
(a) Three years earlier.
(c) When Caleb is born.
(d) When Bethia is born.
3. About what is Bethia increasingly frustrated?
(a) The pressure her brother is placing on her.
(b) Having her life choices made for her.
(c) The way her father sees her as a comodity.
(d) The way the Whites treat the native Indians.
4. What does Bethia at first consider outlandish about what Caleb tells her?
(a) The many gods of the Wampanoag.
(b) He will never marry.
(c) Their gods live everywhere.
(d) He is in exile from his people though he lives with them.
5. What does Caleb tell Bethia when her father and Makepeace go out to wash their hands?
(a) He is sorry her mother died.
(b) He is to be the next tribal shaman.
(c) He has missed being with her.
(d) He does not think he wants to learn about the Christian God.
6. With whom does Caleb agree to study?
(c) Makepeace and Joel.
(d) No one.
7. What does Bethia say she will continue to do?
(a) Watch over her younger sister.
(b) Avoid marriage.
(c) Tell the story of her past.
(d) Plead for the rights of the native population.
8. What does Tequamuck fail to do?
(a) Ask his chief's permission before making Mayfield leave the tribal grounds.
(b) Successfully treat the epidemic.
(c) Thank Mayfield.
(d) Drink from the gourd a second time.
9. What is Takemmy?
(a) The name of the beach where the Mayfield's live.
(b) The name of the woods where Bethia likes to roam.
(c) The name of the stream that runs the mill.
(d) The Wampanoag settlement where Bethia and her father go.
10. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
(a) To go in the ocean and wash off the whale blood.
(b) To dance with the Wampanoag.
(c) To help strip the whale carcass.
(d) To launder her outer things.
11. Why does Bethia not know what will happen to her?
(a) Because she is now responsible for her baby sister.
(b) Because she is not sure if anyone knows she sipped from the gourd.
(c) Because of Caleb's arrival.
(d) Because her father is negotiating with two families for her hand in marriage.
12. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
(b) Show Bethia the farm.
(c) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
(d) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
13. How does Bethia consider her life at this time?
14. Whom does Bethia believe has been taken advantage of?
(a) The Wampanoag.
(b) The founding family.
(c) The women in the colony.
(d) Her family.
15. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
(a) Bethia thinks she is to blame for the death.
(b) Her mother wanted to die.
(c) Her mother will not go to heaven.
(d) Her mother did not fear death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Iacoomis?
2. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
3. What does Caleb do for Solace?
4. Who is Caleb?
5. What does Bethia and the rest of the family do?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)