|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Bethia's new sister?
(d) She died with Bethia's mother.
2. What does Bethia say was Satan's influence?
(a) Disobeying her father.
(b) Learning to speak with the Wampanoag.
(c) Talking with a young Wampanoag male.
(d) Drinking out of the gourd.
3. For what does Bethia long?
(b) Her deceased Mother.
(c) The island.
(d) Her deceased sister.
4. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love of the island.
(b) Love for the preacher's boy.
(c) Love for her brother.
(d) Love for her dog.
5. What does Bethia describe at the opening of this section?
(a) Her baby sister's habits.
(b) Why she thinks God is still punishing her.
(c) Her current situation.
(d) Why she desires to live as an independent woman.
6. Who does Pastor Mayfield invite along?
(a) Bethia's brother.
(b) No one.
7. Why does Bethia feel responsible for her mother's death?
(a) Because her brother suggets that Bethia did something wrong.
(b) For having drunk out of the gourd.
(c) For not praying for her mother enough.
(d) Because she argued with her mother not long before she died.
8. When did Bethia's mother die?
(a) When Caleb is born.
(c) When Bethia is born.
(d) Three years earlier.
9. What is Bethia doing when she comes upon a group of Wampanoag dancing?
(a) Searching for firewood.
(b) She is lost in the woods.
(c) Gathering mushrooms.
(d) Gathering herbs.
10. Where does Bethia accompany her father?
(a) On one of his preaching trips to the Wampanoag.
(b) To visit an ill cousin.
(c) To the trading post.
(d) To the mainland.
11. Why is Bethia surprised at what Caleb tells her about what he's been doing?
(a) Most of the White men do not swim.
(b) Her father had asked Caleb to forgo Shamic training for now.
(c) There is a someone to take care of the horses.
(d) She thought he was going to adopt Christianity.
12. Why is Bethia uneasy when she is serving the noon meal?
(a) Makepeace is rude to Caleb.
(b) She is uneasily drawn to Caleb.
(c) She notices Caleb staring at Solace.
(d) She believes Caleb is staring at her.
13. Why is Bethia envious of Makepeace?
(a) He marries whom he chooses.
(b) He gets to return to the island.
(c) He decides to stay in England where he wants to be.
(d) He has a freer life.
14. What does Noah do the next morning?
(a) Show Bethia the farm.
(b) Break his leg in a fall off a horse.
(c) Go with Bethia to meet Caleb.
(d) Ask Bethia if she likes Caleb.
15. Who comes to the Merry mill for help?
(a) Two young Wampanoag.
(c) A young man from the mainland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caleb call Bethia in private?
2. Why does Bethia's father choose some particular passages from the Bible to read when Caleb is introduced?
3. What is a pawaaw?
4. When does Bethia encounter some of Caleb's gods?
5. Who is Bethia?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)