|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 1 - Part 2, Anno 1660, Actatis Suae 15, Great Harbor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bethia's name mean?
(a) Wise one.
(b) Lovely one.
(c) Bright one.
2. How does Bethia see what happens with the whale?
(a) As an act of kindness to save the whale.
(b) As commendable that the whites are following the agreement with the Wampanoag.
(c) As a theft by the whites.
(d) Relief that the whale gets away.
3. By tradition, what generally happens to a beached whale?
(a) Two men from the two groups have a friendly wrestling match to win rights to the whale.
(b) It is shared among all the occupants of the island.
(c) There has never been a beached whale before.
(d) It belongs to the Wampanoag.
4. What does Bethia say she feels about the Wampanoag?
(a) She thinks they are too savage to ever be Christians.
(b) She has come to identify with them.
(c) She believes they are God's children, though inferior.
(d) She has not met one in person.
5. What does Bathia find herself drawn into?
(a) A fight with her father.
(b) An argument with her friend about the Wampanoag's rights.
(c) The music and energy of the Wampanoag dancing.
(d) An argument with her brother about his friend he wants her to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bethia at first consider outlandish about what Caleb tells her?
2. Why does Bethia take off some of her clothes?
3. What happens when a whale strands itself on the beach?
4. When does Bethia's twin brother die?
5. Who berates Bathia for her absence when she returns to the beach?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)