1. Who is Bethia?
(a) The author.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The Mayfield family servant.
(d) A minor character.
2. With whom is Bethia's father arguing?
(a) The neighbor.
(b) Bethia's brother.
(c) Bethia's mother.
(d) The precher.
3. With what kind of influence are the arguers concerned the new guest will bring?
4. Who is Caleb?
(a) Bethia's oldest brother.
(b) A native American young man.
(c) The preacher.
(d) The Mayfield groom.
5. When did Bethia's mother die?
(a) Three years earlier.
(b) When Bethia is born.
(c) When Caleb is born.
6. What does Bethia believe about her mother's death?
(a) Her mother wanted to die.
(b) Her mother will not go to heaven.
(c) Her mother did not fear death.
(d) Bethia thinks she is to blame for the death.
7. What kind of transgression into evil does Bethia say she commits?
(a) Talking to a male outside the family.
(b) Talking in church.
(c) Taking the Lord's name in vain.
8. What love does Bethia describe?
(a) Love for her brother.
(b) Love of the island.
(c) Love for her dog.
(d) Love for the preacher's boy.
This section contains 5,125 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)