* Bethia, a young girl who is the narrator, lies awake listening to her father and brother argue over a near-pagan native American coming to live with them.
* Bethia lives in an isolated home, her mother recently dead, whom Bethia believes was killed due to Bethia's transgression into evil.
* Bethia describes the island where they live and says that she is writing down the events of the past few months in order to understand them better.
* Bethia's grandfather established a colony on the island and she feels they took advantage of the natives, the Wampanoag.
* Bethia says her fall from God's grace took began three years previously, when she was twelve years old.
* She learned better than her brother Makepeace and her father said too much learning was not good for a pretty girl bound for marriage. Her twin brother died...
This section contains 2,837 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)