Section 1 - Part 1, Anno 1660, Actatis Suae 15, Great Harbor
• Bethia, a young girl who is the narrator, lies awake listening to her father and brother argue over a near-pagan native American coming to live with them.
• Bethia lives in an isolated home, her mother recently dead, whom Bethia believes was killed due to Bethia's transgression into evil.
• Bethia describes the island where they live and says that she is writing down the events of the past few months in order to understand them better.
• Bethia's grandfather established a colony on the island and she feels they took advantage of the natives, the Wampanoag.
• Bethia says her fall from God's grace took began three years previously, when she was twelve years old.
• She learned better than her brother Makepeace and her father said too much learning was not good for a pretty girl bound for marriage. Her twin brother died...
This section contains 3,073 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)