|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After how many days of sleeping in a snow mound does Andrews wake to find snow everywhere upon the land?
2. Who is sleeping in the snow mound directly adjacent to Andrews's mound?
3. For what purpose do the members of the hunting party add a particular liquid to the boiling buffalo hides?
4. Who cuts a supply of firewood once the hunting party sets up camp in the valley?
5. Who is the first to ask Andrews if he is alright the morning the men awake to a snow-covered world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charley feel about the coming of winter and why?
2. How does Schneider feel about the coming of winter and why?
3. How does Williams depict Andrews's change in perspective in relation to the grisly task of skinning buffalo?
4. How does Miller feel about the coming winter and why?
5. What does the loss of the buffalo hides in the river symbolize?
6. What is the result of Miller's decision to keep hunting after Schneider protests the extension of the hunt?
7. What is the author's purpose for including each hunting party member's reaction to the coming winter?
8. How does Andrews's view of Miller change during the last hour of the buffalo hunt?
9. What is the irony inherent in Miller's response to Schneider's request that Miller begin the hunt slowly?
10. What event forces Miller to stop killing buffalo once he has reduced the herd by at least two-thirds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the characterization arc of Andrews's character throughout the novel. Discuss whether the protagonist is a round or flat character and whether he is a static or dynamic character.
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's message regarding the history of America in John Williams's novel Butcher's Crossing and what themes does the author employ in order to send these messages to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How is the motif of dreams included and treated within John Williams's novel Butcher's Crossing and how does its treatment relate to the book's depicted messages?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)