|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miller tells Andrews that a buffalo never dies from what cause?
(a) Old age.
(b) Running off a cliff.
(c) A single gunshot wound.
2. What adjective does Andrews use to describe the land around him, now that it is covered with snow?
3. What substance does the person who poisons the wolves use to poison them?
(b) Morning glories.
4. By dark, how many "fair-sized trees" have the two men chopping firewood felled?
(a) Three dozen.
(b) Half a dozen.
(c) Two dozen.
(d) A dozen.
5. Who is the first to ask Andrews if he is alright the morning the men awake to a snow-covered world?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sharpens all of the knives brought along by the hunting party?
2. What instruction does Miller give Andrews about the leader of the buffalo herd?
3. Miller instructs Andrews that when shooting buffalo, one should aim just a little behind what part of the buffalo?
4. What is Miller's reply when Schneider tells Miller to stop shooting because he has already killed 60 or 70 buffalo?
5. Miller tells Andrews that buffalo "always face" (127) in what direction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Schneider's death occur?
2. How do the men on the hunting expedition prepare their beds on the night before the buffalo hunt?
3. Why must the men construct a wooden and canvas tent once they set up for the hunt?
4. How does Charley feel about the coming of winter and why?
5. What are Miller's first words after the accident with the wagon in the river and what do they indicate about his character?
6. How does Miller's explanation of his shooting mistake jibe with Andrews's own feelings about fate and consciousness?
7. How does Andrews view Miller's actions as he takes the steps necessary to turn gunpowder into bullets?
8. How does Schneider's death affect Andrews?
9. What is the irony inherent in Miller's response to Schneider's request that Miller begin the hunt slowly?
10. How does Andrews feel about the coming of winter and why?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)