|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two: Chapters IV-VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT a sound perceived by Andrews during his brief periods of wakefulness during his first night in Butcher's Crossing?
(a) The jingling of bridle bells.
(b) A shrill scream.
(c) The laughter of a woman.
(d) The sounds of voices.
2. What instruction does Miller give Andrews about the leader of the buffalo herd?
(a) He says that the leader of the herd must be killed only after the whole herd is dead.
(b) He says that the leader of the buffalo herd is the most dangerous.
(c) He says that one should never kill the leader of the herd.
(d) He says that one should locate and kill the leader of the herd first.
3. What warning does Schneider give to Miller before the hunt begins?
(a) He warns Miller not to waste the party's water on dirty hides.
(b) He warns Miller to make sure his bullets are sitting correctly in the chamber.
(c) He warns Miller to put blindfolds on the horses before beginning to shoot.
(d) He warns Miller not to kill too many buffalo at once.
4. How many buffalo does Miller kill on the first day of the hunt?
5. What instruction does the letter from Andrews's family member provide to McDonald?
(a) It says that McDonald should pay his debts.
(b) It says that McDonald should help Andrews any way he can.
(c) It says that McDonald should place Andrews in a blacksmith apprenticeship.
(d) It says that McDonald should invest in Andrews's hunting expedition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a quality of the hunting party's horses by noon on the first day of the expedition?
2. How does Andrews attempt to alleviate the pain he is feeling from riding on the first day of the expedition?
3. On what object does Andrews have to keep his eyes fixed in order to follow the hunting party once the land becomes flat?
4. At the start of the novel, the as-yet-unnamed protagonist rides within a stagecoach on its way to what town to Butcher's Crossing?
5. Who watches Andrews get down off his horse and asks him if he has had a "rough day" (75)?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)