|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One: Chapters I-V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point does the reader learn that the protagonist's name is William Andrews?
(a) When he tells Francine his name.
(b) When he signs his name at the post office.
(c) When he signs his name at the hotel.
(d) When he signs his name at the bank.
2. What is the hotel clerk's reply when Andrews asks the clerk if he knows a man by a particular name?
(a) The clerk replies that they do not meet many strangers in Butcher's Crossing.
(b) The clerk replies that he will need to be paid for any information he provides.
(c) The clerk replies that he has never heard the name before.
(d) The clerk replies that he does know the man and so does everyone else.
3. Once Andrews settles into his hotel room, he realizes that he has not seen one iteration of which object within the town of Butcher's Crossing?
(a) Glass window.
(d) Cloud in the sky.
4. What instruction does the letter from Andrews's family member provide to McDonald?
(a) It says that McDonald should help Andrews any way he can.
(b) It says that McDonald should place Andrews in a blacksmith apprenticeship.
(c) It says that McDonald should pay his debts.
(d) It says that McDonald should invest in Andrews's hunting expedition.
5. What type of animal will be hunted during the hunting expedition?
(b) Bighorn sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. McDonald warns Andrews not to talk to hunters in town for what reason?
2. Who funds the hunting expedition?
3. Which of Charley's body parts is missing?
4. How is the protagonist's facial complexion described?
5. Whom does McDonald describe as not knowing "what to do with themselves" (22)?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)