|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One: Chapters I-V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hotel clerk's reply when Andrews asks the clerk if he knows a man by a particular name?
(a) The clerk replies that he will need to be paid for any information he provides.
(b) The clerk replies that he has never heard the name before.
(c) The clerk replies that they do not meet many strangers in Butcher's Crossing.
(d) The clerk replies that he does know the man and so does everyone else.
2. For what reason does McDonald "wave angrily" at Andrews when Andrews leaves his office after their first meeting?
(a) Because Andrews had been unwilling to be placed in a blacksmith apprenticeship.
(b) Because McDonald had been unable to talk Andrews out of meeting the hunters.
(c) Because Andrews had been unable to pay his father's debts to McDonald.
(d) Because he knows that Andrews is about to take advantage of his kindness.
3. What event does McDonald say will change everything about the town of Butcher's Crossing soon?
(a) The arrival of a sheriff.
(b) The arrival of winter.
(c) The arrival of the railroad.
(d) The annexation of the territory.
4. Andrews asks the hotel clerk if the clerk knows a man by what surname?
5. At the start of the novel, the as-yet-unnamed protagonist rides within a stagecoach on its way to what town to Butcher's Crossing?
Short Answer Questions
1. McDonald warns Andrews not to talk to hunters in town for what reason?
2. To what state will the hunting expedition travel?
3. How does McDonald describe the town of Butcher's Crossing on the day Andrews first comes to see him?
4. Whom does McDonald describe as not knowing "what to do with themselves" (22)?
5. How many buildings are described as making up the town of Butcher's Crossing?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)