|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellie run into the burning barn?
2. What instrument does Ellie say Lee played before the war?
3. What does Ellie say is hurt the worst after her ordeal with the burning barn?
4. What kind of voice does Lee accuse Ellie of using?
5. What does Lee do that brings a halt to his conversation with Ellie about where he's been going and what he's doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellie want to make radio contact with Colonel Finley and what is her reaction after the call?
2. What does Ellie remember about Robyn's attitude regarding talking about yourself?
3. What does Ellie say about the reason she believes they need to help the kids, and why do you believe this is important to her?
4. What are some of the things Ellie and the others do to conceal the work they've done at her Grandma's house from the soldiers patrolling on motorbikes.
5. How does Ellie go about leaving food out for the little kids, and what's the result?
6. Describe the trip to the trout farm.
7. How does Lee say he met Reni?
8. Describe how Ellie and the others come to have a hot meal their first night at her Grandma's house?
9. What scares Ellie when she's trying to find the sound of the crying and what does she say about it?
10. What are Ellie's thoughts about hating the soldiers in general and especially those on the river bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Fi? How is she similar to Ellie? How is she different? What is Fi's role in the story? What are her strengths and weaknesses? What information is revealed about Fi's family prior to the war?
Essay Topic 2
The group of children in Stratton is running wild, and Ellie notes they are missing out on a great deal because their parents are not present. Explain the situation and hardships the children are facing. What are some of the most things they are missing out on? What can be expected for the rest of their lives if an adult doesn't intervene?
Essay Topic 3
Give an overview of the setting of this story and the events that have occurred to put Ellie and the others in their current situation. Is the setting real? Are the events real? Could there be some other setting or some other series of events that would lead to this same story?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)