|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie remember the first factory they see in Stratton made before the war?
2. What does Ellie use to pry open the back door of her Grandma's house?
3. What does Ellie do to distract the men who seem about to kill Lee?
4. How much longer does Ellie say they need to wait before they can head back for Hell?
5. Why does Ellie say New Zealanders hate possums?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the stories about hypnotism Ellie tells while they are floating down the river for the second day, and what makes her think about those stories?
2. What is Ellie reaction when she realizes she's hurt Fi's feeling by saying Fi and Homer could never have a relationship.
3. Describe the two times Ellie sees the kids.
4. Describe the dream Ellie has about Lee and what she thinks it might mean.
5. Describe the conversation between Homer and the people in New Zealand and the effect on the group.
6. Describe how the group spends the night after the airport explosions.
7. What does Ellie remember about Robyn's attitude regarding talking about yourself?
8. What are Ellie's thoughts about hating the soldiers in general and especially those on the river bank?
9. What does Fi mean when she talks about "our blear?"
10. What scares Ellie when she's trying to find the sound of the crying and what does she say about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you consider the main theme of the story? List three examples of that theme and explain why the theme is important to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lee? What is his history with Ellie? How is this history revealed? What takes Lee away from the group that puts him in danger? Describe how he escapes the situation. Is he a strong character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ellie has killed men but the sound of a baby crying and the sound of the horses screaming in the burning barn upset her. Are these emotions contradictions? What do they say about Ellie? Are her reactions believable? Why or why not?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)