|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the first time Ellie tries to follow Lee?
2. What does Ellie assume they'll do when they arrive in Stratton?
3. How many days does Ellie say they spend in Stratton?
4. How old does Ellie say her mother was when she married?
5. What movie does Fi quote as she and Ellie are talking about love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellie want to do when they finish butchering the lamb, what does Fi say about it, and what is Ellie's comment about change on this topic?
2. What does Ellie say about the reason she believes they need to help the kids, and why do you believe this is important to her?
3. What does Ellie do around her Grandma's house with her Grandma's possessions?
4. Why does Ellie want to make radio contact with Colonel Finley and what is her reaction after the call?
5. What are Ellie's thoughts about hating the soldiers in general and especially those on the river bank?
6. Describe how the group spends the night after the airport explosions.
7. Describe what happens in the moments after Ellie and the others get out of the river.
8. Describe the dream Ellie has about Lee and what she thinks it might mean.
9. What do Ellie and the others discover when they get to the Winchester Heights neighborhood? What does she say is the "good news" and what is the "bad news?"
10. Why does Ellie say she's worried about Lee is doing when he isn't at the house, and what is Lee's reaction when she asks what he's doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you consider the main theme of the story? List three examples of that theme and explain why the theme is important to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "tip." What is it? What are Ellie's memories of it from before the war? What are some of the items she says would be there if archaeologists were to dig it up? What are some of the things they find there on the day they get into the furniture van? Why are they there that day?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ellie? What do you learn about Ellie from the story? What kind of character is she? What are her strengths and weaknesses? Is she believable? Likeable? Give examples to support your answers.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)