|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lee do when he meets the girl outside the barn?
2. What does Lee do that brings a halt to his conversation with Ellie about where he's been going and what he's doing?
3. What does Elliie say they call her Grandma's marmalade?
4. Why does Ellie run into the burning barn?
5. What time is it when the group gets back to Ellie's Grandma's after butchering the lamb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the situation in which the jeep rolls into the river and the reason Ellie releases it for a second time.
2. Describe the trip to the trout farm.
3. Describe how Ellie and the others come to have a hot meal their first night at her Grandma's house?
4. What does Ellie remember about Robyn's attitude regarding talking about yourself?
5. What is Ellie reaction when she realizes she's hurt Fi's feeling by saying Fi and Homer could never have a relationship.
6. Briefly describe what happens when Ellie, Fi, and Homer are mugged.
7. What does Ellie say about the damage from the war and what does it make her realize about herself?
8. What are Ellie's thoughts about hating the soldiers in general and especially those on the river bank?
9. Describe the conversation between Homer and the people in New Zealand and the effect on the group.
10. How does Lee say he met Reni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellie gets a good look at the soldiers who are searching for them on the river while she's hiding on the riverbank. What is Ellie's attitude about hating the soldiers? Why does she have this attitude? Is this attitude in conflict to the damage she and the others had caused at the airfield? Why or why not? Are her attitudes believable?
Essay Topic 2
The group of children in Stratton is running wild, and Ellie notes they are missing out on a great deal because their parents are not present. Explain the situation and hardships the children are facing. What are some of the most things they are missing out on? What can be expected for the rest of their lives if an adult doesn't intervene?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "tip." What is it? What are Ellie's memories of it from before the war? What are some of the items she says would be there if archaeologists were to dig it up? What are some of the things they find there on the day they get into the furniture van? Why are they there that day?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)