|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie say is the danger in driving too fast?
2. What does Homer give Ellie as they get into the huge garbage truck after the explosion?
3. How does Ellie know they are being shot at as she and the others are getting into the big garbage truck?
4. Why does Ellie usually hate the idea of having a map?
5. What does Ellie say might have caused the capture or deaths of the twelve New Zealand guerrillas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the near-miss with the airplane as the group is trying to get away in the garbage truck.
2. Describe the thoughts Ellie has as she's trying to decide whether to hide in the messy room or in the bathroom.
3. What happens to delay their shots when Fi and Ellie are finally in position to begin firing at the planes?
4. What is Ellie's attitude in chapter four regarding being caught?
5. What are some of the things Ellie and the others do while they are at the dump prior to the arrival of the soldiers?
6. Where does Ellie say she might be if she weren't in the place they call Hell, and what might she be doing?
7. What does Ellie do after Homer's arrival in the barracks and why does she do this?
8. What does Ellie say her feelings are about the big truck after they stop?
9. Describe two of the memories Ellie has about the tip before the war.
10. Describe one of the summer storms Ellie remembers from before the war began.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Robyn? Who is Corrie? What is revealed about each? What does Ellie envy about Robyn? What does this indicate about Ellie? Would she feel differently in a different situation?
Essay Topic 2
Ellie often lapses into daydreams, memories, or arguments with herself. Describe at least three instances in which this happens.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ellie? What do you learn about Ellie from the story? What kind of character is she? What are her strengths and weaknesses? Is she believable? Likeable? Give examples to support your answers.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)