|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to figure out the group has arrived at the airfield?
2. Where do Ellie and the others hide each time someone enters the hangar?
3. What does Ellie say she remembers her hockey coach saying about the timid player?
4. Why does Ellie want the group to go toward Holloway?
5. How many are in the group of teenagers now living in Hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kevin's reaction to the news that they are going to try to destroy the airfield, and how does each of the four others try to make contact with him?
2. List two of the ways Ellie and Lee slow down or stop the jeeps that are following them?
3. Why doesn't Ellie shoot at the tanker when Fi is making her first shot, what's the result of that shot, and what does Ellie say about Fi's marksmanship?
4. Describe two of the memories Ellie has about the tip before the war.
5. Describe one of the summer storms Ellie remembers from before the war began.
6. Where does Ellie say she might be if she weren't in the place they call Hell, and what might she be doing?
7. What does Ellie remember about Homer's habits with regard to shooting when he was young? How did she feel about this action?
8. Describe the moment immediately after Fi blows up the first tanker.
9. Describe what happens when a jeep tries to intercept Ellie's truck before the explosions.
10. What did Colonel Finley say about the importance of the airfield at Wirrawee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fully describe how the group came to be at the airfield, why they decided to cause as much damage as they could, and how they escaped.
Essay Topic 2
Ellie has killed men but the sound of a baby crying and the sound of the horses screaming in the burning barn upset her. Are these emotions contradictions? What do they say about Ellie? Are her reactions believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Colonel Finley? How is New Zealand involved in the situation? How do you know? Why are Ellie and the others often so pleased to hear Colonel Finley's voice? What does this indicate about them?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)