|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ellie and the others hide when the trucks arrive at the dump?
2. What does Kevin find in the little storage room?
3. How many soldiers are in the group that runs past Ellie and the others as they are hiding?
4. How long does Homer drive after the last jeep is no longer following them?
5. Who suggests the group hid inside the truck once they realize they can't get away without being seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellie say her feelings are about the big truck after they stop?
2. What does Ellis say there is to do in Hell, and what do Homer and Kevin spend one entire afternoon doing?
3. What is Ellie's attitude in chapter four regarding being caught?
4. How do Ellie and the others get from the hut into the truck?
5. Why doesn't Ellie shoot at the tanker when Fi is making her first shot, what's the result of that shot, and what does Ellie say about Fi's marksmanship?
6. What is Kevin's reaction to the news that they are going to try to destroy the airfield, and how does each of the four others try to make contact with him?
7. List two of the ways Ellie and Lee slow down or stop the jeeps that are following them?
8. Describe the moment Ellie realizes someone is chasing them and what she does to avoid being captured.
9. What did Colonel Finley say about the importance of the airfield at Wirrawee?
10. What does Ellie do after Homer's arrival in the barracks and why does she do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Fi? How is she similar to Ellie? How is she different? What is Fi's role in the story? What are her strengths and weaknesses? What information is revealed about Fi's family prior to the war?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Colonel Finley? How is New Zealand involved in the situation? How do you know? Why are Ellie and the others often so pleased to hear Colonel Finley's voice? What does this indicate about them?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Homer? What is known about Homer's family? What kind of character is he? What are his strengths? What are his weaknesses? Is he believable? Likeable? Give examples to support your answers.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)