|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Halie betray the family?
2. What did Tilden tell Shelly about the baby?
3. Where was Shelly during Act 2?
4. Where were Vince and Shelly heading when they stopped at the farm?
5. Who was responsible for the secret in the backyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it easy for Vince to connect with his family when he came for a visit?
2. Where is Halie in Act 2?
3. What is an indication that Vince was upset over the fact that he was not recognized by his father and grandfather?
4. Where do you think Act 2 takes place in?
5. What is Shelly's attitude and behavior throughout the visit?
6. What could Vince have meant by his remark about betraying family taboos?
7. Who are the new characters introduced in Act 2?
8. Dodge persuades Vince to take what from the table?
9. Was Vince upset over the fact that he was not recognized by his father and grandfather?
10. What are the efforts Vince did to make hoping his father and grandfather would recognize him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Dewis was just barely mentioned in the whole story, yet he plays a very significant role in unraveling the mystery of the story. Analyze Father Dewis and his actions. Do you think he has many followers? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Vince claims to be on his way to New Mexico and is just visiting? Is this true? Or could Vince have been planning all along to return and be the man of the land?
Essay Topic 3
Let us look at the chosen setting for the story - a farm in Illinois. The chaos of the story greatly contrasts with the calm supposedly offered by a farm. Could a different setting have affected the story? Choose another setting and compare the impact with the farm setting.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)