|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a wooden leg?
2. What set off this family toward disaster?
3. What is the backdrop for this play?
4. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
5. Who did Halie say she and Father Dewis was planning a monument for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
2. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
3. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
4. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
5. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
6. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
7. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
8. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
9. In the first act, where are the characters?
10. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Shelly and what is her personality? Was she too normal, hence she did not stand for the many weird circumstances around her? Was her reaction normal?
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol plays a major part in the story. In this story, is alcohol the cause of all the troubles? Or is it the outlet of the characters after all the troubles they have had?
Essay Topic 3
Let us look at the chosen setting for the story - a farm in Illinois. The chaos of the story greatly contrasts with the calm supposedly offered by a farm. Could a different setting have affected the story? Choose another setting and compare the impact with the farm setting.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)