|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
2. There are vague hints about a dark secret hidden in what area of the farm?
3. How long has it been since the garden has been worked, according to Dodge?
4. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
5. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are we told happened to Ansel?
2. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
3. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
4. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
5. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
6. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
7. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
8. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
9. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
10. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Let us look at the chosen setting for the story - a farm in Illinois. The chaos of the story greatly contrasts with the calm supposedly offered by a farm. Could a different setting have affected the story? Choose another setting and compare the impact with the farm setting.
Essay Topic 2
Dodge was described as someone who didn't seem to have a lot of interest in life, and who seemed to be passive. Yet, he had things under his control. Is Dodge as dumb as he appears to be? Or is he very cunning while plotting a revenge towards Halie over the years?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Shelly and what is her personality? Was she too normal, hence she did not stand for the many weird circumstances around her? Was her reaction normal?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)