Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halie pretends to care for who?
2. Who was an All-American half-back with a bright future ahead?
3. How can one tell that Halie is somewhat afraid of Bradley?
4. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
5. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the lost baby is found and discuss the ironies and contrasts in this.
2. What could Halie have felt when Dodge finally revealed their secret?
3. Describe the first character to appear in Act 1. How do you picture him/her?
4. What is Halie's participation in appeasing Vince's anger? What does this say about Halie?
5. How does Dodge talk to his wife about her past relationship, and how does each feel about her old boyfriend?
6. What is Dodge and Halie hiding from their children? What does this imply about their relationship?
7. Describe Vince in Act 3.
8. Who do you think is the best heir to Dodge's possessions, specifically the farm and the house?
9. Describe Dodge's behavior towards Vince in Act 3.
10. Describe Shelly's predicament when she stays in Dodge's house.
Essay Topic 1
Dodge knew from the start that Halie was unfaithful to him. Even after learning that she has had an incestuous affair, Dodge still continues to accept both Halie and Tilden. How does Dodge handle the many occasions of unfaithfulness he has endured in the story? What can the reader conclude about Dodge's character based on these actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of discrimination in this story as shown through Halie's beliefs. What purpose does it serve in the whole story? What does it say about Halie's character? How did it further the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Halie seems to be a very "bold" person to have committed incest and then adultery with her minister. Yet, at the same time, she seems too weak to face the reality of her actions. Would you say that Halie feels guilt about her actions? Or was she just too concerned with her reputation?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)