|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spent time in jail?
2. What is primary character does Halie portray?
3. Halie pretends to care for who?
4. What is the main theme of this play?
5. What is the backdrop for this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
2. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
3. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
4. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
5. What are we told happened to Ansel?
6. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
7. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
8. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
9. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
10. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Halie's dead son Ansel is obviously favored by her. Do you think things would have been different if Ansel was alive? Could Ansel's death have triggered the many problems the family had?
Essay Topic 2
Vince was left with the farm and the house. What can the future be with Vince as the head of the family? Paint scenarios based on what the story says about Vince.
Essay Topic 3
Tilden and Bradley seem to have different personalities. Tilden seems mild while Bradley was clearly described as an aggressive fellow. Is there a possibility that they have different fathers? What are the circumstances in the story supporting your theory?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)