|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tilden continue to bring in from the backyard?
2. What set off this family toward disaster?
3. Who tried to present themselves as the one in charge of the family, but was ignored by everyone?
4. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
5. What is primary character does Halie portray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
2. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
3. What are we told happened to Ansel?
4. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
5. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
6. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
7. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
8. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
9. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
10. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Halie despise the Catholics? Is there a reason for her to do so?
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol plays a major part in the story. In this story, is alcohol the cause of all the troubles? Or is it the outlet of the characters after all the troubles they have had?
Essay Topic 3
Marriage is something that can greatly change a person, whether for the better or for worse is dependent on the circumstances surrounding it. Is there any method to determine whether or not two persons are compatible with each other?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)