|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of life did Halie leave behind when she married Dodge?
2. What is the main theme of this play?
3. Who owned this farm?
4. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
5. How long has it been since the garden has been worked, according to Dodge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
2. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
3. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
4. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
5. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
6. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
7. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
8. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
9. In the first act, where are the characters?
10. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tilden and Bradley seem to have different personalities. Tilden seems mild while Bradley was clearly described as an aggressive fellow. Is there a possibility that they have different fathers? What are the circumstances in the story supporting your theory?
Essay Topic 2
Tilden's wife, or Vince's mother was never mentioned in the story. Who could it have been? Was it possible that Halie was Vince's mother and grandmother? What is the information that can support your answer?
Essay Topic 3
Dodge was described as someone who didn't seem to have a lot of interest in life, and who seemed to be passive. Yet, he had things under his control. Is Dodge as dumb as he appears to be? Or is he very cunning while plotting a revenge towards Halie over the years?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)