Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halie pretends to care for who?
2. Who was an All-American half-back with a bright future ahead?
3. How can one tell that Halie is somewhat afraid of Bradley?
4. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
5. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the lost baby is found and discuss the ironies and contrasts in this.
2. What could Halie have felt when Dodge finally revealed their secret?
3. Describe the first character to appear in Act 1. How do you picture him/her?
4. What is Halie's participation in appeasing Vince's anger? What does this say about Halie?
5. How does Dodge talk to his wife about her past relationship, and how does each feel about her old boyfriend?
6. What is Dodge and Halie hiding from their children? What does this imply about their relationship?
7. Describe Vince in Act 3.
8. Who do you think is the best heir to Dodge's possessions, specifically the farm and the house?
9. Describe Dodge's behavior towards Vince in Act 3.
10. Describe Shelly's predicament when she stays in Dodge's house.
Dodge knew from the start that Halie was unfaithful to him. Even after learning that she has had an incestuous affair, Dodge still continues to accept both Halie and Tilden. How does Dodge handle the many occasions of unfaithfulness he has endured in the story? What can the reader conclude about Dodge's character based on these actions?
Let us examine Vince's character. He seems to want so much to be taken in by his family, yet he has not been heard of in the last six years. Discuss Vince's character. Create a profile of Vince based on specific examples from the story. Was/is he a good son? Is he a violent man or is he mild-mannered? Is he living a normal life or does he show some signs of the same dysfunction his other family members have?
Halie and Tilden had an incestuous affair that led to the birth of a baby boy, whom Dodge kills and buries in the backyard. Could this incident have triggered all the dysfunction in the family? Or was it already present from the beginning? Be sure to support your answer fully by using specific examples from the story.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)