|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Ansel's action does Halie detest the most?
2. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
3. Halie said she and Father Dewis were planning a monument for which character?
4. When did Halie say she knew Ansel would be a dead man?
5. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the lost baby is found and discuss the ironies and contrasts in this.
2. What happens to Dodge after he reveals the secret? Why do you think this happened?
3. What kind of a minister is Father Dewis?
4. What is Tilden talking about when he says they had no hymn for the baby's disappearance?
5. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
6. How does Dodge talk to his wife about her past relationship, and how does each feel about her old boyfriend?
7. How would you describe the overall feel of Act 3?
8. What are the indications that Vince wants to connect with his family?
9. Describe the setting of this story briefly. Is the farm an appropriate setting for the play? Why?
10. Describe the change in Tilden after he came back from New Mexico.
Essay Topic 1
Halie seems to be a very "bold" person to have committed incest and then adultery with her minister. Yet, at the same time, she seems too weak to face the reality of her actions. Would you say that Halie feels guilt about her actions? Or was she just too concerned with her reputation?
Essay Topic 2
Father Dewis is a minor character in this story. Please discuss his role as a minor character. What is his purpose? Does he serve as a foil for any other character in the story? If so, whom and in what ways? Would the story still work without the presence of Father Dewis? Support your answers with specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Marriage is something that can greatly change a person; whether for the better or for worse is dependent on the circumstances surrounding it. Is there any method to determine whether or not two people are compatible with each other? Please substantiate your answer through the example of Dodge and Halie.
This section contains 1,780 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)