|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam Shepherd chose a farm as the setting of this play?
2. When Tilden left corn husks on the floor, who did Halie say would be upset if they found them on the floor?
3. Who tried to present themselves as the one in charge of the family, but was ignored by everyone?
4. Who did Halie say she and Father Dewis was planning a monument for?
5. What seemed to be just below the surface of this family's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
2. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
3. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
4. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
5. What are we told happened to Ansel?
6. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
7. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
8. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
9. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
10. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Tilden and Bradley. Who should care of who and why?
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol plays a major part in the story. In this story, is alcohol the cause of all the troubles? Or is it the outlet of the characters after all the troubles they have had?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Halie despise the Catholics? Is there a reason for her to do so?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)