|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Halie say she and Father Dewis was planning a monument for?
2. What type of life did Halie leave behind when she married Dodge?
3. Who usually comes drunk after being out all night? And who does she bring with her?
4. What is the backdrop for this play?
5. Halie pretends to care for who?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
2. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
3. What are we told happened to Ansel?
4. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
5. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
6. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
7. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
8. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
9. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
10. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tilden and Bradley seem to have different personalities. Tilden seems mild while Bradley was clearly described as an aggressive fellow. Is there a possibility that they have different fathers? What are the circumstances in the story supporting your theory?
Essay Topic 2
Tilden and Bradley both had unfortunate conditions. Was it because their family was dysfunctional, that prevents them from coping normally with society? Should they have sought help instead of coming back to their parents?
Essay Topic 3
Halie's dead son Ansel is obviously favored by her. Do you think things would have been different if Ansel was alive? Could Ansel's death have triggered the many problems the family had?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)