|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tried to present themselves as the one in charge of the family, but was ignored by everyone?
2. Who taunted Halie about " the breeder-man teaching her a thing or two"?
3. What does Tilden continue to bring in from the backyard?
4. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
5. What is the main theme of this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
2. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
3. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
4. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
5. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
6. What are we told happened to Ansel?
7. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
8. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
9. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
10. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Let us look at the chosen setting for the story - a farm in Illinois. The chaos of the story greatly contrasts with the calm supposedly offered by a farm. Could a different setting have affected the story? Choose another setting and compare the impact with the farm setting.
Essay Topic 2
Tilden and Bradley both had unfortunate conditions. Was it because their family was dysfunctional, that prevents them from coping normally with society? Should they have sought help instead of coming back to their parents?
Essay Topic 3
There is not much said about Father Dewis. What kind of a man could Father Dewis have been? Why did he choose ministry as his profession? Should he stay as the minister of his parish? Why?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)