|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes Dodge's life?
2. Dodge said this to whom? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
3. What seemed to be just below the surface of this family's relationship?
4. Who are Dodge and Halie's sons?
5. What was Halie expecting of Tilden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Dodge and Shelly interacted?
2. What happens to Halie after the secret is revealed?
3. The story is a very dark one. Are there any positive notes that can be gathered from the story?
4. Why do you think Dodge finally reveals the secret?
5. Describe Halie's character in the first act. How do you picture her?
6. What is the cover that Halie and Father Dewis use when they meet?
7. Describe Dodge's behavior towards Vince in Act 3.
8. How does Vince feel about his family's reactions towards him?
9. How would you describe the overall feel of Act 3?
10. Describe the change in Tilden after he came back from New Mexico.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of discrimination in this story as shown through Halie's beliefs. What purpose does it serve in the whole story? What does it say about Halie's character? How did it further the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Marriage is something that can greatly change a person; whether for the better or for worse is dependent on the circumstances surrounding it. Is there any method to determine whether or not two people are compatible with each other? Please substantiate your answer through the example of Dodge and Halie.
Essay Topic 3
Halie's dead son Ansel is obviously favored by her. Do you think things would have been different if Ansel was alive? Could Ansel's death have triggered the many problems the family has? Be sure to support your answer fully by using specific examples from the story.
This section contains 1,643 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)