|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pretends that their marriage and relationship displays a loving partnership?
2. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
3. What is in Illinois?
4. Which particular event does Halie blame for Ansel's death?
5. Why does Father Dewis come by?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first act, where are the characters?
2. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
3. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
4. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
5. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
6. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
7. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
8. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
9. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
10. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Halie's dead son Ansel is obviously favored by her. Do you think things would have been different if Ansel was alive? Could Ansel's death have triggered the many problems the family had?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Halie despise the Catholics? Is there a reason for her to do so?
Essay Topic 3
Tilden and Bradley seem to have different personalities. Tilden seems mild while Bradley was clearly described as an aggressive fellow. Is there a possibility that they have different fathers? What are the circumstances in the story supporting your theory?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)