|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dodge said this to who? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
2. What is the main theme of this play?
3. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
4. Who are Dodge and Halie's sons?
5. Who was in New Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
2. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
3. What are we told happened to Ansel?
4. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
5. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
6. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
7. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
8. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
9. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
10. In the first act, where are the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vince claims to be on his way to New Mexico and is just visiting? Is this true? Or could Vince have been planning all along to return and be the man of the land?
Essay Topic 2
Halie and Tilden had an incestuous affair that led to the birth of a baby boy, whom Dodge kills and buries in the backyard. Could this incident have triggered all the dysfunction in the family? Or was it already present from the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
Tilden and Bradley seem to have different personalities. Tilden seems mild while Bradley was clearly described as an aggressive fellow. Is there a possibility that they have different fathers? What are the circumstances in the story supporting your theory?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)