|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
2. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
3. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
4. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
5. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
2. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
3. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
4. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
5. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
6. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
7. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
8. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
9. In the first act, where are the characters?
10. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dodge was described as someone who didn't seem to have a lot of interest in life, and who seemed to be passive. Yet, he had things under his control. Is Dodge as dumb as he appears to be? Or is he very cunning while plotting a revenge towards Halie over the years?
Essay Topic 2
Tilden and Bradley seem to have different personalities. Tilden seems mild while Bradley was clearly described as an aggressive fellow. Is there a possibility that they have different fathers? What are the circumstances in the story supporting your theory?
Essay Topic 3
Identify symbols in the story and explain what these symbols could have meant.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)