Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halie pretends to care for who?
2. Who was an All-American half-back with a bright future ahead?
3. How can one tell that Halie is somewhat afraid of Bradley?
4. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
5. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the lost baby is found and discuss the ironies and contrasts in this.
2. What could Halie have felt when Dodge finally revealed their secret?
3. Describe the first character to appear in Act 1. How do you picture him/her?
4. What is Halie's participation in appeasing Vince's anger? What does this say about Halie?
5. How does Dodge talk to his wife about her past relationship, and how does each feel about her old boyfriend?
6. What is Dodge and Halie hiding from their children? What does this imply about their relationship?
7. Describe Vince in Act 3.
8. Who do you think is the best heir to Dodge's possessions, specifically the farm and the house?
9. Describe Dodge's behavior towards Vince in Act 3.
10. Describe Shelly's predicament when she stays in Dodge's house.
Discuss the theme of discrimination in this story as shown through Halie's beliefs. What purpose does it serve in the whole story? What does it say about Halie's character? How did it further the plot?
Alcohol plays a major part in the story. In this story, is alcohol the cause of all the troubles? Or is it the outlet of the characters after all the troubles they have had? Be sure to support your answer fully by using specific examples from the story.
Halie and Tilden had an incestuous affair that led to the birth of a baby boy, whom Dodge kills and buries in the backyard. Could this incident have triggered all the dysfunction in the family? Or was it already present from the beginning? Be sure to support your answer fully by using specific examples from the story.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)