|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Halie say needs to stay out of the yard?
2. Who was an all-American halfback with a bright future ahead of them?
3. Who was in New Mexico?
4. Who has a security blanket?
5. Halie pretends to care for who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
2. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
3. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
4. What are we told happened to Ansel?
5. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
6. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
7. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
8. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
9. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
10. In the first act, where are the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vince was left with the farm and the house. What can the future be with Vince as the head of the family? Paint scenarios based on what the story says about Vince.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol plays a major part in the story. In this story, is alcohol the cause of all the troubles? Or is it the outlet of the characters after all the troubles they have had?
Essay Topic 3
Tilden and Bradley seem to have different personalities. Tilden seems mild while Bradley was clearly described as an aggressive fellow. Is there a possibility that they have different fathers? What are the circumstances in the story supporting your theory?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)