|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a wooden leg?
2. Dodge said this to whom? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
3. Why does Father Dewis come by?
4. Who taunted Halie about " the breeder-man teaching her a thing or two?"
5. What is the first thing noticed about Halie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bradley in Act 1. How do you picture him?
2. How do you think Shelly feels about the whole situation?
3. What is the big secret that Dodge has been talking about and Halie is so afraid of being known?
4. Do you think Halie ever really cared for Dodge?
5. Did Vince do anything that indicates frustration or anger?
6. If it was not mentioned that Tilden is Vince's father, can the reader tell the relationship between the two? Why?
7. How does Halie behave towards her two sons?
8. Describe Vince in Act 3.
9. Describe Halie's attitude towards Tilden.
10. Is there anything in Act 2 that describes the relationship between Dodge and Tilden?
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol plays a major part in the story. In this story, is alcohol the cause of all the troubles? Or is it the outlet of the characters after all the troubles they have had? Be sure to support your answer fully by using specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the juxtaposition of the complex familial relationship this story is based on versus the fact that it happens in a calm, serene setting of a large Illinois farm.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Bradley and Tilden was strained because of the brokenness of their father and mother's relationship. How much of the dysfunction was due to the betrayal? Be sure to support your answer fully by using specific examples from the story.
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)