|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Halie say she didn't want Tilden not to go outside?
2. Which particular event does Halie blame for Ansel's death?
3. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
4. What does Tilden continue to bring in from the backyard?
5. Who spent time in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
2. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
3. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
4. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
5. In the first act, where are the characters?
6. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
7. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
8. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
9. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
10. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Halie's dead son Ansel is obviously favored by her. Do you think things would have been different if Ansel was alive? Could Ansel's death have triggered the many problems the family had?
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol plays a major part in the story. In this story, is alcohol the cause of all the troubles? Or is it the outlet of the characters after all the troubles they have had?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Tilden and Bradley. Who should care of who and why?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)