|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sam Shephard write about this type of family?
2. What position did Dodge hold in the family?
3. Who did Halie say this about? "I had no idea he would be that much trouble".
4. Who does Halie tell Dodge they have to take care of?
5. What area can be seen form the living room during the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
2. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
3. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
4. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
5. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
6. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
7. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
8. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
9. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
10. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marriage is something that can greatly change a person, whether for the better or for worse is dependent on the circumstances surrounding it. Is there any method to determine whether or not two persons are compatible with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Dodge knew from the start that Halie was unfaithful to him. Even after learning that she has had an incestuous affair Dodge still continued to accept both Halie and Tilden. Is Dodge a great man, or a really stupid one? What does his actions tell us?
Essay Topic 3
Halie's dead son Ansel is obviously favored by her. Do you think things would have been different if Ansel was alive? Could Ansel's death have triggered the many problems the family had?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)