|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
2. When Tilden left corn husks on the floor, who did Halie say would be upset if they found them on the floor?
3. What does Halie say Dodge has become?
4. Who shouts from upstairs telling Dodge to take his medication when he coughs?
5. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Halie's character in the first act. How do you picture her?
2. How does Act 3 end? Is it an appropriate ending to the story?
3. Describe Dodge's behavior towards Vince in Act 3.
4. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1. How do you picture him?
5. If it was not mentioned that Tilden is Vince's father, can the reader tell the relationship between the two? Why?
6. Is it easy for Vince to connect with his family when he comes to visit?
7. Is there anything in Act 2 that describes the relationship between Dodge and Tilden?
8. Where is Halie while everything is happening in Act 2?
9. How do you think Dodge and Shelly interacted?
10. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
Essay Topic 1
Marriage is something that can greatly change a person; whether for the better or for worse is dependent on the circumstances surrounding it. Is there any method to determine whether or not two people are compatible with each other? Please substantiate your answer through the example of Dodge and Halie.
Essay Topic 2
Shelly is another minor character in this story. Please discuss her role as a minor character. What purpose does her character serve in the whole story? Would the story still work without her presence? Support your answers with specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Tilden and Bradley both had unfortunate conditions. Is it because their family is so dysfunctional that prevents them from coping normally with society? Should they have sought help instead of coming back to their parents?
This section contains 1,608 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)