|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tilden continue to bring in from the backyard?
2. Why does Father Dewis come by?
3. Who are Dodge and Halie's sons?
4. Who had a wooden leg form an accident with a chain saw?
5. What type of life did Halie leave behind when she married Dodge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
2. In the first act, where are the characters?
3. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
4. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
5. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
6. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
7. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
8. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
9. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
10. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify symbols in the story and explain what these symbols could have meant.
Essay Topic 2
Vince was left with the farm and the house. What can the future be with Vince as the head of the family? Paint scenarios based on what the story says about Vince.
Essay Topic 3
Halie's dead son Ansel is obviously favored by her. Do you think things would have been different if Ansel was alive? Could Ansel's death have triggered the many problems the family had?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)