|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing noticed about Halie?
2. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
3. Who taunted Halie about " the breeder-man teaching her a thing or two"?
4. What is primary character does Halie portray?
5. What is in Illinois?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
2. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
3. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
4. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
5. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
6. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
7. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
8. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
9. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
10. What are we told happened to Ansel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tilden's wife, or Vince's mother was never mentioned in the story. Who could it have been? Was it possible that Halie was Vince's mother and grandmother? What is the information that can support your answer?
Essay Topic 2
Identify symbols in the story and explain what these symbols could have meant.
Essay Topic 3
Tilden and Bradley both had unfortunate conditions. Was it because their family was dysfunctional, that prevents them from coping normally with society? Should they have sought help instead of coming back to their parents?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)