|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Halie say she and Father Dewis were doing all night when they came home drunk?
2. How does Halie treat Dodge?
3. What is primary character does Halie portray?
4. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
5. What does Halie say Dodge has become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
2. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
3. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
4. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
5. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
6. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
7. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
8. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
9. What are we told happened to Ansel?
10. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Tilden and Bradley. Who should care of who and why?
Essay Topic 2
Halie and Tilden had an incestuous affair that led to the birth of a baby boy, whom Dodge kills and buries in the backyard. Could this incident have triggered all the dysfunction in the family? Or was it already present from the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
Father Dewis was just barely mentioned in the whole story, yet he plays a very significant role in unraveling the mystery of the story. Analyze Father Dewis and his actions. Do you think he has many followers? Why?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)