Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halie pretends to care for who?
2. Who was an All-American half-back with a bright future ahead?
3. How can one tell that Halie is somewhat afraid of Bradley?
4. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
5. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the lost baby is found and discuss the ironies and contrasts in this.
2. What could Halie have felt when Dodge finally revealed their secret?
3. Describe the first character to appear in Act 1. How do you picture him/her?
4. What is Halie's participation in appeasing Vince's anger? What does this say about Halie?
5. How does Dodge talk to his wife about her past relationship, and how does each feel about her old boyfriend?
6. What is Dodge and Halie hiding from their children? What does this imply about their relationship?
7. Describe Vince in Act 3.
8. Who do you think is the best heir to Dodge's possessions, specifically the farm and the house?
9. Describe Dodge's behavior towards Vince in Act 3.
10. Describe Shelly's predicament when she stays in Dodge's house.
Essay Topic 1
Father Dewis is a minor character in this story. Please discuss his role as a minor character. What is his purpose? Does he serve as a foil for any other character in the story? If so, whom and in what ways? Would the story still work without the presence of Father Dewis? Support your answers with specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Dodge left all his belongings with Vince, except for his farm tools, which he wanted to be burned with him. Discuss the possible reasons why of all the many things he has (his couch, his security blanket), Dodge chooses his farm tools to be with him at his death.
Essay Topic 3
Dodge is described as someone who doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in life, and who seems to be passive. Yet, he had things under his control. Is Dodge as "weak" as he appears to be? Or is he very cunning while plotting a revenge towards Halie over the years?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)