|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
2. What seemed to be just below the surface of this family's relationship?
3. When did Halie say she knew Ansel would be a dead man?
4. Where did Bradley go, only to return emotionally broken?
5. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
2. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
3. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
4. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
5. In the first act, where are the characters?
6. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
7. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
8. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
9. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
10. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Halie and Tilden had an incestuous affair that led to the birth of a baby boy, whom Dodge kills and buries in the backyard. Could this incident have triggered all the dysfunction in the family? Or was it already present from the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
Tilden's wife, or Vince's mother was never mentioned in the story. Who could it have been? Was it possible that Halie was Vince's mother and grandmother? What is the information that can support your answer?
Essay Topic 3
Vince was left with the farm and the house. What can the future be with Vince as the head of the family? Paint scenarios based on what the story says about Vince.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)