Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halie pretends to care for who?
2. Who was an All-American half-back with a bright future ahead?
3. How can one tell that Halie is somewhat afraid of Bradley?
4. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
5. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the lost baby is found and discuss the ironies and contrasts in this.
2. What could Halie have felt when Dodge finally revealed their secret?
3. Describe the first character to appear in Act 1. How do you picture him/her?
4. What is Halie's participation in appeasing Vince's anger? What does this say about Halie?
5. How does Dodge talk to his wife about her past relationship, and how does each feel about her old boyfriend?
6. What is Dodge and Halie hiding from their children? What does this imply about their relationship?
7. Describe Vince in Act 3.
8. Who do you think is the best heir to Dodge's possessions, specifically the farm and the house?
9. Describe Dodge's behavior towards Vince in Act 3.
10. Describe Shelly's predicament when she stays in Dodge's house.
Essay Topic 1
Father Dewis was just barely mentioned in the whole story, yet he plays a very significant role in unraveling the mystery of the story. Analyze Father Dewis and his actions. Do you think he has many followers? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Dodge left all his belongings with Vince, except for his farm tools, which he wanted to be burned with him. Discuss the possible reasons why of all the many things he has (his couch, his security blanket), Dodge chooses his farm tools to be with him at his death.
Essay Topic 3
Let us examine Vince's character. He seems to want so much to be taken in by his family, yet he has not been heard of in the last six years. Discuss Vince's character. Create a profile of Vince based on specific examples from the story. Was/is he a good son? Is he a violent man or is he mild-mannered? Is he living a normal life or does he show some signs of the same dysfunction his other family members have?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)