|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tilden left corn husks on the floor, who did Halie say would be upset if they found them on the floor?
2. What does Tilden continue to bring in from the backyard?
(a) Soil for house plants.
(b) Flowers for Halie.
(c) Garden tools.
3. What is the main theme of this play?
(a) The dysfunction of this family.
(b) The virtue of marriage.
(c) The best way to grow vegtables.
(d) How to be a strong Christian.
4. Who has a wooden leg?
(a) Father Dewis
5. Who does Halie tell Dodge they have to take care of?
(b) Father Dewis.
(d) The Baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam Shepherd chose a farm as the setting of this play?
2. Why does Halie say she didn't want Tilden not to go outside?
3. Who usually comes drunk after being out all night? And who does she bring with her?
4. Halie pretends to care for who?
5. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
2. In the first act, where are the characters?
3. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
4. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
5. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
6. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
7. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
8. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
9. What are we told happened to Ansel?
10. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)