|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What significant place is in Illinois?
(a) The jail where the characters visit.
(b) Bradley's house.
(c) The farm that is the backdrop of the play.
(d) The church of Ansel's wedding.
2. How can one tell that Halie is somewhat afraid of Bradley?
(a) She runs upstairs when he shows up.
(b) She doesn't want him to get upset over a disarrayed house.
(c) She stays with her neighbor.
(d) She doesn't go out of the bedroom.
3. According to Dodge, how long has it been since the garden has been worked?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Tilden's return.
(c) Since the death of Ansel.
(d) Bradley's return.
4. Dodge said this to whom? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
(b) Father Dewis.
5. Why is Ansel not around anymore?
(a) He took all the tools from the farm and ran away.
(b) He picked vegetables from the backyard garden and was bitten by a dog.
(c) He died on his honeymoon.
(d) He cut off his leg with a chain saw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of life did Halie leave behind when she married Dodge?
2. What is Act One all about?
3. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
4. Which of Ansel's action does Halie detest the most?
5. Who pretends that their marriage and relationship displays a loving partnership?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Halie's character in the first act. How do you picture her?
2. What is Tilden referring to when he was talks about the little baby's disappearance?
3. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
4. Where is Halie while everything is happening in Act 2?
5. What is Dodge and Halie hiding from their children? What does this imply about their relationship?
6. Why is Halie frustrated with the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
7. Is it easy for Vince to connect with his family when he comes to visit?
8. What is the big secret that Dodge has been talking about and Halie is so afraid of being known?
9. Did Tilden really not recognize Vince or was there any indication that he remembers his son?
10. Explain the circumstances that bring Vince and Shelly to the farmhouse. What does this say about Vince's relationship with his family?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)