|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Halie say Dodge has become?
(a) The father of Tildren's children.
(b) Head of Bradley's household.
(c) The man with a wooden leg.
(d) An evil, spiteful, vengeful man.
2. Who does Halie say needs to stay out of the yard?
(d) Father Dewis.
3. What type of life did Halie leave behind when she married Dodge?
(a) Caring for Bradley.
(b) Being an upstanding member of the church.
(c) Life in the city with variety and stimulation.
(d) Being the mother of Ansel.
4. Who does Halie tell Dodge they have to take care of?
(a) Father Dewis.
(b) The Baby.
5. Why does Halie say she didn't want Tilden not to go outside?
(a) Dodge will hide from him.
(b) Father Dewis will pray for him.
(c) She doesn't want him to get wet in the rain.
(d) Bradley will cut his hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character was on stage during Act one?
2. What is the backdrop for this play?
3. There are vague hints about a dark secret hidden in what area of the farm?
4. Where did Tilden return from, broken and unable to care for himself?
5. What is the first thing noticed about Halie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
2. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
3. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
4. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
5. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
6. What are we told happened to Ansel?
7. In the first act, where are the characters?
8. Who is the first character to appear in Act 1?
9. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
10. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)