|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tried to present themselves as the one in charge of the family, but was ignored by everyone?
(c) Father Dewis.
2. Who does Halie tell Dodge they have to take care of?
(a) Father Dewis.
(b) The Baby.
3. When Tilden left corn husks on the floor, who did Halie say would be upset if they found them on the floor?
4. What is the first thing noticed about Halie?
(a) She is in the garden club.
(b) She tries to pretend that her marriage and family are strong.
(c) She loves vegetables.
(d) She constructs grave stones.
5. Who owned this farm?
(a) Dodge, he was the father and husband.
(b) Ansel, because he spent his life preparing the land to harvest.
(c) Bradley, since he repesented ordor to this family.
(d) Tilden, because he had a vegetable garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which particular event does Halie blame for Ansel's death?
2. Why does Sam Shephard write about this type of family?
3. Where did Tilden return from, broken and unable to care for himself?
4. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
5. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
2. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
3. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
4. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
5. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
6. What is Tilden's condition when he gets back from his stay in New Mexico?
7. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
8. Where is Tilden prohibited from going to?
9. What does Halie think about Ansel at the beginning of the story?
10. What explanation does Halie for spending time with Father Dewis?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)