|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the backdrop for this play?
(a) Living room in an Illinois farm house.
(b) The backporch overlooking the garden.
(c) The backyard where vegetables are picked.
(d) Upstairs where Halie hides during the play.
2. Dodge said this to who? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
(d) Father Dewis.
3. Who was an all-American halfback with a bright future ahead of them?
(b) Father Drewis.
4. Who shouts from upstairs telling Dodge to take his medication when he coughs?
(c) Father Dewis.
5. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
(c) Ansel's wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main theme of this play?
2. What set off this family toward disaster?
3. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
4. Who usually comes drunk after being out all night? And who does she bring with her?
5. How long has it been since the garden has been worked, according to Dodge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tilden at the start of Act 1.
2. What is Bradley like at the start of the play?
3. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
4. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
5. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
6. What are we told happened to Ansel?
7. What's one indication that Tilden is not his self and disturbed?
8. What is Halie's frustration over the two brothers, Tilden and Bradley?
9. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
10. What is Halie's predication about Bradley and the corn husks on the floor?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)