|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the backdrop for this play?
(a) The backyard where vegetables are picked.
(b) Living room in an Illinois farm house.
(c) Upstairs where Halie hides during the play.
(d) The backporch overlooking the garden.
2. Who tried to present themselves as the one in charge of the family, but was ignored by everyone?
(d) Father Dewis.
3. What set off this family toward disaster?
(a) Halie's devotion to her children.
(b) Dodge's trust for his wife.
(c) Father Dewis' devotion to Dodge.
(d) The mismatch between Dodge and Halie.
4. Who brings vegetables in from the garden?
5. Who taunted Halie about " the breeder-man teaching her a thing or two"?
(c) Father Dewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halie say Dodge has become?
2. Who has a wooden leg?
3. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
4. Where did Halie spend most of her time?
5. Which particular event does Halie blame for Ansel's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the family members get along in the first act of this play?
2. Describe Halie's character in the first act.
3. What might be Bradley's reasons for being so mean?
4. Why does Halie resent the Catholics?
5. What is Halie's way of showing her apparent concern for Dodge?
6. What are we told happened to Ansel?
7. Why do you think Tilden acts the way he does?
8. How are Dodge and Halie presented in the first act?
9. What proves that Halie is far from a care taking wife?
10. In the first act, where are the characters?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)