|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement best describes Vince in Act 2?
(a) Vince wants to get married and buy a farm house in Illinois.
(b) Vince wants to go back to Illinois to be with his parents.
(c) Vince is angry at Halie and Bradley.
(d) Vince wanted to see his father and be recognized by his family.
2. What relation is Halie to Shelly?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Shelly's boyfriend's mother.
(c) Shelly's minister's girlfriend.
(d) Her aunt.
3. During the six years when Vince was away, which members of the family has he seen?
(b) Dodge and Tilden.
(c) Vince and Halie.
(d) Bradley and Halie.
4. What does Shelly do when she sees Tilden coming in from the backyard?
(a) She helps him carry the carrots.
(b) She plays tricks with the broom.
(c) She gives him a bottle of whiskey.
(d) She turns her back on him.
5. Where was Bradley in Act 2?
(a) He made a trip to visit his sister.
(b) Bradley was visiting his girlfriend in New Mexico.
(c) Bradley was not mentioned in Act 2.
(d) Bradley was working in the backyard.
6. How did Sam Shepard treat the mother and father characters in the play?
(a) They are both respected members of society and are model citizens.
(b) They are treated unsympathetically. They both contribute to the family's destruction.
(c) With respect. The children all want to follow in their footsteps.
(d) They were glorified as heroes who saved the family.
7. Which statement best describes Dodge in Act 2?
(a) He was angry at Halie for not preparing lunch for Vince and Shelly.
(b) He was very happy with his grandson's return and hugged him fiercely.
(c) He did not recognize his grandson and was only interested in drinking whiskey.
(d) He got up off the couch to plant some corn in the backyard.
8. Which of the following statements best describes the story?
(a) The story focuses only on one case of betrayal.
(b) All the characters in the story are honest people.
(c) The story deals with corruption in the government.
(d) The story depicts betrayal of many kinds.
9. How many children do Shelly and Vince have?
10. According to Tilden, where did the little baby go?
(a) It just disappeared.
(b) To New Mexico.
(c) To Ansel's house.
(d) To a farmhouse in Illinois.
11. How long had Vince been gone?
(a) Six years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Three years.
12. What did Dodge ask Vince to do for him?
(a) To get flowers for Shelly
(b) To get flowers for Halie.
(c) To get a bottle of whiskey.
(d) To get vegetables for Tilden.
13. What part of this play reflects Sam Shepard's own life?
(a) His father a Christain.
(b) His father was an alcoholic.
(c) His brother had an affair with his minister.
(d) His mother had an affair with her minister.
14. When did Shelly and Vince leave the farm house in Act 2?
(a) When Vince asked Shelly to marry him and stay in New Mexico.
(b) They left six months after their visit.
(c) Act 2 did not say anything about Vince and Shelly's departure.
(d) During the full moon.
15. Who did Tilden talk to about his lost little baby?
(a) Father Dewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters do Vince and Shelly have?
2. What did Dodge remove from the table when he sent Vince to town?
3. Which character should be blamed for everything that happened to the family?
4. When Tilden talked to Shelly about Vince, what did he say?
5. Aside from Vince, has Shelly met any members of the family before?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)