|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the play express America's failure of certain things?
(a) Vince failed to convince Dodge to recognize him.
(b) Tilden failed to grow corn on the backyard for thirty years.
(c) Dodge and Halie fail to bear daugters.
(d) The family has completely lost touch with its original hopes and dreams.
2. Who is Shelly?
(a) Vince's sister.
(b) Bradley's wife.
(c) Vince's girlfriend.
(d) Tilden's sister.
3. How happy was Tilden to see Vince again?
(a) Tilden was not at all happy since he did not recognize Vince.
(b) He bought whiskey for the whole family.
(c) He cried with joy when he saw Vince.
(d) He asked for the whole neighborhood to have dinner with them.
4. What did Dodge remove from the table when he sent Vince to town?
(a) The cooked corn that had been prepared.
(b) The letter from Father Dewis.
(c) Money to buy a bottle of whiskey.
(d) Carrots that were cleaned and ready to prepare for lunch.
5. What did Tilden tell Shelly about the baby?
(a) The loss of the baby tore the family apart.
(b) Halie cried when she saw it's face.
(c) It could be held with one hand, and it was so small no one could find it.
(d) It brought joy to the family.
6. Which statement best describes the situation in the story?
(a) It follows the typical incest pattern.
(b) It has multiple levels of incest.
(c) It is not a typical incest story.
(d) Incest is not a key factor in the story.
7. What does Shelly do when she sees Tilden coming in from the backyard?
(a) She gives him a bottle of whiskey.
(b) She turns her back on him.
(c) She plays tricks with the broom.
(d) She helps him carry the carrots.
8. Which of the following statements best describes Dodge's condition?
(a) Dodge cannot do without a bottle of whiskey.
(b) Dodge only takes whiskey to help him sleep better at night.
(c) Dodge is trying to keep sober for one week.
(d) Dodge is trying to lose weight.
9. Which statement best describes Dodge in Act 2?
(a) He was very happy with his grandson's return and hugged him fiercely.
(b) He did not recognize his grandson and was only interested in drinking whiskey.
(c) He was angry at Halie for not preparing lunch for Vince and Shelly.
(d) He got up off the couch to plant some corn in the backyard.
10. What part of this play reflects Sam Shepard's own life?
(a) His father a Christain.
(b) His father was an alcoholic.
(c) His mother had an affair with her minister.
(d) His brother had an affair with his minister.
11. How did Sam Shepard treat the mother and father characters in the play?
(a) They were glorified as heroes who saved the family.
(b) They are treated unsympathetically. They both contribute to the family's destruction.
(c) They are both respected members of society and are model citizens.
(d) With respect. The children all want to follow in their footsteps.
12. How many children do Shelly and Vince have?
13. How many sons do Vince and Shelly have?
(a) One still alive.
14. Where did Vince get the money to buy the whiskey?
(a) From Halie.
(b) From the pantry.
(c) From the kitchen table.
(d) From Father Dewis.
15. How many daughters do Vince and Shelly have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shocking and disastrous twist of this story about incest?
2. Who is Vince?
3. How long had Vince been gone?
4. What did Dodge ask Vince to do for him?
5. According to Sam Shepard's beliefs, what has America lost touch with?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)