|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was responsible for the secret in the backyard?
(a) Bradley and Halie.
(b) Dodge and Shelly.
(c) Halie and Tilden.
(d) Vince and Halie.
2. The children reflects what in this play?
(a) The brokeness of the family structure.
(b) The happieness found in Illinois.
(c) Their hunger for vegetables.
(d) How much they miss Ansel.
3. What was Father Dewis's relationship to Halie?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her minister and lover.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her father.
4. What was the result of the incestuous relationship between Halie and Tilden?
(a) Dodge and Halie had a better relationship.
(b) Dodge and Tiden had a stronger relationship.
(c) A baby boy was born.
(d) Bradley became a father.
5. Who was not recognized after a six year absence?
6. What vegetables did Shelly try to help Tilden with?
7. What part of this play reflects Sam Shephard's own life?
(a) His mother had an affair with her minister.
(b) His father a Christain.
(c) his brother had an affair with hiis minister.
(d) His father was an alcoholic.
8. Who is Vince?
(a) Father Dewis' partner.
(b) Dodge and Halie's grandson.
(c) Tilden's friend.
(d) Bradley's son.
9. Who were they going to see in New Mexico?
10. What does Shelly do when she sees Tilden coming in from the backyard?
(a) Play tricks.
(b) Turned her back on him.
(c) Helped him carry the carrots.
(d) Buy a bottle of whiskey.
11. Who is Shelly?
(a) Tilden's sister.
(b) Vince's girlfriend.
(c) Bradley's wife.
(d) Vince's sister.
12. What does Sam Shepherd's believe America has lost touch with?
(a) Their aspirations.
(b) The farm in New Mexico.
(c) The vegetable garden.
(d) The tools to work the agrden.
13. What did Shelly try to do?
(a) Persuade Vince to leave.
(b) Cook corn and carrots.
(c) Buy whiskey.
(d) Sleep in the room.
14. What did Vince do to try to be remembered?
(a) Met with Father Dewis.
(b) Picked vegetables from the yard.
(c) Cut Dodge's hair.
(d) Played the tricks he used to do as a child.
15. Who does Sam Shepherd place most of the blame for this family's failure?
(a) Ancel because he died leaving he family broken and grieving.
(b) The two brothers, Tilden and Bradley.
(c) The mother and father, Halile and Dodge.
(d) Shelly and Father Dewis because they interferred with the family structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of this play?
2. Where did Vince get the money to buy the whiskey?
3. Who did Tilden talk to about his lost little baby?
4. What is Shelly's relation to the family?
5. Who did Dodge send after a bottle?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)