|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family hedge around?
(a) A dark family secret.
(b) Father Dewis is really Halie's husband.
(c) Ansel has a son.
(d) Bradley has a baby.
2. What part of this play reflects Sam Shephard's own life?
(a) His mother had an affair with her minister.
(b) His father was an alcoholic.
(c) His father a Christain.
(d) his brother had an affair with hiis minister.
3. Who did Shelly try to help with the vegetables from the garden?
4. What vegetables did Shelly try to help Tilden with?
5. Who had a wooden leg?
(a) Father Dewis.
6. How many daughters does Dodge and Halie have?
(b) The one that is still a farmer.
7. Where did Vince get the money to buy the whiskey?
(a) From the pantry.
(b) From the kitchen table.
(c) From Father Dewis.
(d) From Halie.
8. How long had Vince been gone?
(a) Three years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Six years.
9. What vegetables did Tilden pick from the garden?
(c) Peas and potatoes.
10. Who was responsible for the secret in the backyard?
(a) Dodge and Shelly.
(b) Vince and Halie.
(c) Bradley and Halie.
(d) Halie and Tilden.
11. Who was a Catholic bride?
(a) Father Dewis's wife.
(b) Dodge's girfriend.
(c) Bradley's wife.
(d) Ansel's wife.
12. What does Sam Shepherd's believe America has lost touch with?
(a) The tools to work the agrden.
(b) Their aspirations.
(c) The vegetable garden.
(d) The farm in New Mexico.
13. What does Tilden talk to Shelly about?
(a) The baby. The Little baby.
(b) His time in jail.
(c) Bradley's accident.
(d) Ansel's death.
14. Shelly tries to get Vince to leave even though she feels for who?
15. What character stayed on stage during the first two acts of the play?
(a) The minister, and friend.
(b) A city man trying to learn to farm.
(c) The host of the church meetings.
(d) The owner, and the farmer of the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of this play?
2. What does Bradley do to Dodge when he comes by?
3. Who does Sam Shepherd place most of the blame for this family's failure?
4. What was Father Dewis's relationship to Halie?
5. Finally, what did Vince cry out in anguish?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)