|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Vince been gone?
(a) Six years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Three years.
2. How many children do Shelly and Vince have?
3. How did Halie betray the family?
(a) The family's history.
(b) Covering her head with a blanket..
(c) The promises of the church.
(d) By failing to keep her responsibilities to her husband.
4. Who is Vince?
(a) Dodge and Halie's grandson.
(b) Father Dewis' partner.
(c) Tilden's friend.
(d) Bradley's son.
5. When Tilden talked to Shelly about Vince, what did he say?
(a) He said that he saw Dodge's face in Vince's face.
(b) He said that he thought he saw a small face inside Vince's face.
(c) He said that he saw Father Dewis' face in Vince's face.
(d) He said that he saw Ansel's face in Vince's face.
6. How happy was Tilden to see Vince again?
(a) He bought whiskey for the whole family.
(b) He cried with joy when he saw Vince.
(c) He asked for the whole neighborhood to have dinner with them.
(d) Tilden was not at all happy since he did not recognize Vince.
7. Which of the following statements best describes Dodge's condition?
(a) Dodge is trying to keep sober for one week.
(b) Dodge cannot do without a bottle of whiskey.
(c) Dodge is trying to lose weight.
(d) Dodge only takes whiskey to help him sleep better at night.
8. What did Dodge remove from the table when he sent Vince to town?
(a) The letter from Father Dewis.
(b) Money to buy a bottle of whiskey.
(c) Carrots that were cleaned and ready to prepare for lunch.
(d) The cooked corn that had been prepared.
9. What was Halie doing in Act 2?
(a) Halie was not mentioned in Act 2.
(b) Buying whiskey from the grocery store.
(c) Washing Dodge's blanket.
(d) Cooking corn for Tilden.
10. How does Shelly feel for Tilden?
(a) She feels animosity towards Tilden.
(b) She sympathizes with Tilden.
(c) She doesn't want to see Tilden ever again.
(d) She pities him and wants to take care of him.
11. Where was Ansel in Act 2?
(a) He was out in the backyard.
(b) He was living in New Mexico.
(c) He was in the market with Father Dewis.
(d) He was not mentioned in Act 2.
12. Which statement best describes the situation in the story?
(a) It has multiple levels of incest.
(b) It is not a typical incest story.
(c) Incest is not a key factor in the story.
(d) It follows the typical incest pattern.
13. Where did Vince get the money to buy the whiskey?
(a) From Father Dewis.
(b) From the kitchen table.
(c) From Halie.
(d) From the pantry.
14. Who did Tilden talk to about his lost little baby?
(c) Father Dewis.
15. Which part of Act 2 is autobiographical?
(a) The girlfriend being caught up in the mess of the family.
(b) The father not recognizing his son.
(c) Both father and mother have their share in destroying the family.
(d) The mother being absent from the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of the incestuous relationship between Halie and Tilden?
2. How did Sam Shepard treat the mother and father characters in the play?
3. Who did the family fear would be angry about a disorderly house?
4. How many sons do Vince and Shelly have?
5. According to Tilden, where did the little baby go?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)