|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dark thread that weaves though this play?
(a) Dodge and Shelly have a sexual relationship.
(b) Vince and Halie have a incestual relaionship.
(c) Halie and Tilden had an incestual relationship.
(d) Halie and Bradley have a incestual relationship.
2. What vegetables did Shelly try to help Tilden with?
3. What vegetables did Tilden pick from the garden?
(c) Peas and potatoes.
4. Where did Vince get the money to buy the whiskey?
(a) From Halie.
(b) From Father Dewis.
(c) From the pantry.
(d) From the kitchen table.
5. When is Ansel to come home?
(a) Never, he died on his honeymoon.
(b) Thursday, he is Bradley's handyman.
(c) Tomorrow, he is the church's handyman.
(d) Soon, he is on his way home from New Mexico.
6. The children reflects what in this play?
(a) The brokeness of the family structure.
(b) The happieness found in Illinois.
(c) How much they miss Ansel.
(d) Their hunger for vegetables.
7. Who did Shelly try to help with the vegetables from the garden?
8. What part of this play reflects Sam Shephard's own life?
(a) His mother had an affair with her minister.
(b) his brother had an affair with hiis minister.
(c) His father a Christain.
(d) His father was an alcoholic.
9. Where were Vince and Shelly heading when they stopped at the farm?
(a) New Mexico.
10. What does Shelly do when she sees Tilden coming in from the backyard?
(a) Buy a bottle of whiskey.
(b) Turned her back on him.
(c) Play tricks.
(d) Helped him carry the carrots.
11. How many sons do Halie and Dodge have?
(c) One still alive.
12. Finally, what did Vince cry out in anguish?
(a) Who is this Father Dewis?
(b) When will Bradley be home?
(c) Where is Ansel?
(d) Did I betray some secret family taboo?
13. Who was Ansel?
(a) Tilden and Halie's son.
(b) Bradley and Shelly's brothe.r
(c) Dodge and Shelly's son.
(d) Dodge and Halie's son.
14. What did Vince do to try to be remembered?
(a) Met with Father Dewis.
(b) Cut Dodge's hair.
(c) Played the tricks he used to do as a child.
(d) Picked vegetables from the yard.
15. What did Shelly try to do?
(a) Cook corn and carrots.
(b) Persuade Vince to leave.
(c) Sleep in the room.
(d) Buy whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dysfunctional theme of this play?
2. Where did Dodge send Vince?
3. What did Tilden tell Shelly about the baby?
4. When Tilden talked to Shelly about Vince, what did he say?
5. Where was Halie in Act 2?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)