|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tilden, where did the little baby go?
(a) It just disappeared.
(b) To a farmhouse in Illinois.
(c) To Ansel's house.
(d) To New Mexico.
2. What vegetables did Tilden pick from the garden?
(a) Peas and potatoes.
3. Where were Vince and Shelly heading when they stopped at the farm?
(c) New Mexico.
4. What was the result of the incestuous relationship between Halie and Tilden?
(a) A baby boy was born.
(b) Bradley became a father.
(c) Dodge and Tiden had a stronger relationship.
(d) Dodge and Halie had a better relationship.
5. Who did the family fear would be angry about a disorderly house?
(a) Father Dewis.
6. According to Sam Shepard's beliefs, what has America lost touch with?
(a) The farm in New Mexico.
(b) The vegetable garden.
(c) Their aspirations.
(d) The tools to work the garden.
7. Which part of Act 2 is autobiographical?
(a) The father not recognizing his son.
(b) Both father and mother have their share in destroying the family.
(c) The girlfriend being caught up in the mess of the family.
(d) The mother being absent from the story.
8. What was the initial point of interaction between Shelly and Tilden?
(a) Tilden asked Shelly to cut his hair.
(b) Tilden gave corn and carrots to Shelly.
(c) Shelly helped Tilden carry the carrots.
(d) Shelly bought a whiskey for Tilden.
9. How did Sam Shepard treat the mother and father characters in the play?
(a) They are treated unsympathetically. They both contribute to the family's destruction.
(b) They are both respected members of society and are model citizens.
(c) With respect. The children all want to follow in their footsteps.
(d) They were glorified as heroes who saved the family.
10. Which statement best describes Dodge in Act 2?
(a) He did not recognize his grandson and was only interested in drinking whiskey.
(b) He was very happy with his grandson's return and hugged him fiercely.
(c) He was angry at Halie for not preparing lunch for Vince and Shelly.
(d) He got up off the couch to plant some corn in the backyard.
11. Where was Ansel in Act 2?
(a) He was in the market with Father Dewis.
(b) He was not mentioned in Act 2.
(c) He was out in the backyard.
(d) He was living in New Mexico.
12. What was Father Dewis' relationship to Halie?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her minister and lover.
(d) Her son.
13. Which two characters are introduced in Act 2?
(a) Ansel's brother and Shelly.
(b) Bradley's brother and Vince.
(c) Halie's girlfriend and Vince.
(d) Vince and Shelly.
14. Where was Bradley in Act 2?
(a) Bradley was working in the backyard.
(b) Bradley was not mentioned in Act 2.
(c) He made a trip to visit his sister.
(d) Bradley was visiting his girlfriend in New Mexico.
15. Who did Tilden talk to about his lost little baby?
(a) Father Dewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Halie betray the family?
2. What do the children reflect in this play?
3. When Tilden talked to Shelly about Vince, what did he say?
4. What is the dysfunctional theme of this play?
5. How many sons do Vince and Shelly have?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)