|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How happy was Tilden to see Vince again?
(a) He asked for the whole neighborhood to have dinner with them.
(b) Tilden was not at all happy since he did not recognize Vince.
(c) He bought whiskey for the whole family.
(d) He cried with joy when he saw Vince.
2. What do the children reflect in this play?
(a) Their hunger for vegetables.
(b) The happiness found in Illinois.
(c) The brokenness of the family structure.
(d) The joys of parenthood.
3. What did Tilden tell Shelly about the baby?
(a) Halie cried when she saw it's face.
(b) It brought joy to the family.
(c) The loss of the baby tore the family apart.
(d) It could be held with one hand, and it was so small no one could find it.
4. According to Tilden, where did the little baby go?
(a) It just disappeared.
(b) To Ansel's house.
(c) To New Mexico.
(d) To a farmhouse in Illinois.
5. Who were Vince and Shelly going to see at their destination?
6. Where were Vince and Shelly heading when they stopped at the farm?
(a) New Mexico.
7. Which of the following statements is true?
(a) Vince's visit triggered Tilden's memory of his lost little baby.
(b) Vince's visit pushed Halie towards an incestuous relationship with Tilden.
(c) Vince's visit triggered Dodge's drinking problems.
(d) Vince's visit triggered Bradley's violent nature.
8. Which of the following statements is true?
(a) The story reflects many of Sam Shepard's real experiences.
(b) The story is based on the life of Sam Shepard's neighbor.
(c) The story is based on the life of Sam Shepard's son.
(d) The story reflects many of Sam Shepard's dreams.
9. Where was Ansel in Act 2?
(a) He was out in the backyard.
(b) He was not mentioned in Act 2.
(c) He was living in New Mexico.
(d) He was in the market with Father Dewis.
10. Which of the following statements best describes Dodge's condition?
(a) Dodge is trying to lose weight.
(b) Dodge is trying to keep sober for one week.
(c) Dodge only takes whiskey to help him sleep better at night.
(d) Dodge cannot do without a bottle of whiskey.
11. Which statement best describes Tilden's reaction to Vince?
(a) Vince reminded Tilden of a baby he once had.
(b) Tilden wanted Vince to stay with him for good.
(c) Vince made Tilden realize that life is beautiful.
(d) Tilden was ecstatic about Vince's return.
12. What was Halie doing in Act 2?
(a) Washing Dodge's blanket.
(b) Buying whiskey from the grocery store.
(c) Cooking corn for Tilden.
(d) Halie was not mentioned in Act 2.
13. How was Vince treated when he got to the farm?
(a) Halie cried in joy.
(b) They had a "fattened calf" celebration.
(c) Dodge greeted him with a loving hug.
(d) No one recognized him.
14. Where did Vince get the money to buy the whiskey?
(a) From the kitchen table.
(b) From the pantry.
(c) From Halie.
(d) From Father Dewis.
15. Where was Bradley in Act 2?
(a) Bradley was not mentioned in Act 2.
(b) Bradley was working in the backyard.
(c) He made a trip to visit his sister.
(d) Bradley was visiting his girlfriend in New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes Dodge in Act 2?
2. Which part of Act 2 is autobiographical?
3. What was the result of the incestuous relationship between Halie and Tilden?
4. How many daughters do Vince and Shelly have?
5. When did Shelly and Vince leave the farm house in Act 2?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)