|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement best describes Dodge in Act 2?
(a) He got up off the couch to plant some corn in the backyard.
(b) He was very happy with his grandson's return and hugged him fiercely.
(c) He was angry at Halie for not preparing lunch for Vince and Shelly.
(d) He did not recognize his grandson and was only interested in drinking whiskey.
2. Who is Shelly?
(a) Vince's sister.
(b) Bradley's wife.
(c) Vince's girlfriend.
(d) Tilden's sister.
3. Which of the following statements best describes Dodge's condition?
(a) Dodge cannot do without a bottle of whiskey.
(b) Dodge is trying to lose weight.
(c) Dodge only takes whiskey to help him sleep better at night.
(d) Dodge is trying to keep sober for one week.
4. What did Shelly do to Vince?
(a) She bought whiskey for him to drink.
(b) She persuaded him to leave.
(c) She cooked corn and carrots for Vince.
(d) She washed his hair.
5. What does Shelly do when she sees Tilden coming in from the backyard?
(a) She gives him a bottle of whiskey.
(b) She plays tricks with the broom.
(c) She helps him carry the carrots.
(d) She turns her back on him.
6. Who is Vince's mother?
(b) A member of the church.
(c) Ansel's wife.
(d) It is not mentioned.
7. How does the play express America's failure of certain things?
(a) Dodge and Halie fail to bear daugters.
(b) The family has completely lost touch with its original hopes and dreams.
(c) Vince failed to convince Dodge to recognize him.
(d) Tilden failed to grow corn on the backyard for thirty years.
8. What was the result of the incestuous relationship between Halie and Tilden?
(a) A baby boy was born.
(b) Bradley became a father.
(c) Dodge and Tiden had a stronger relationship.
(d) Dodge and Halie had a better relationship.
9. What vegetables did Tilden pick from the garden?
(b) Peas and potatoes.
10. During the six years when Vince was away, which members of the family has he seen?
(a) Dodge and Tilden.
(b) Bradley and Halie.
(d) Vince and Halie.
11. What relation is Halie to Shelly?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Shelly's minister's girlfriend.
(d) Shelly's boyfriend's mother.
12. Where was Bradley in Act 2?
(a) Bradley was visiting his girlfriend in New Mexico.
(b) He made a trip to visit his sister.
(c) Bradley was working in the backyard.
(d) Bradley was not mentioned in Act 2.
13. Which statement best describes the situation in the story?
(a) It has multiple levels of incest.
(b) Incest is not a key factor in the story.
(c) It is not a typical incest story.
(d) It follows the typical incest pattern.
14. According to Tilden, where did the little baby go?
(a) To New Mexico.
(b) To a farmhouse in Illinois.
(c) To Ansel's house.
(d) It just disappeared.
15. How long had Vince been gone?
(a) Three years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Six years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally, what did Vince cry out in anguish?
2. When did Shelly and Vince leave the farm house in Act 2?
3. What do the children reflect in this play?
4. Which two characters are introduced in Act 2?
5. What was Halie doing in Act 2?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)