|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dodge said this to who? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
(d) Father Dewis.
2. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
(a) The audultrious relationship between Father Dewis and Halie.
(b) Ansel's marriage to a Catholic girl.
(c) The sexual relationship between Teldon and Bradley.
(d) The incestuous relationship between Tilden and Halie.
3. Where did Tilden return from, broken and unable to care for himself?
(b) New Mexico
4. What area can be seen form the living room during the play?
(a) The back yard.
(b) The church.
(c) The back porch.
(d) The vegtable garden.
5. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
6. What did Sam Shepherd chose a farm as the setting of this play?
(a) it was a contrast between fertile farming and the deteriation of this family.
(b) He loves to watch vegetables grow.
(c) He was sure Dodge would rallie in the end.
(d) It was a beautiful vision of this family's fruitful garden.
7. How long has it been since the garden has been worked, according to Dodge?
(a) Tilden's return
(b) Since the death of Ansel
(c) Thirty years
(d) Bradley's return
8. How does Halie treat Dodge?
(a) She retreats from him, hiding upstairs.
(b) She talk continuously about her beloved.
(c) Joy overflows their relationship.
(d) She is faithful to her vows.
9. Who taunted Halie about " the breeder-man teaching her a thing or two"?
(b) Father Dewis.
10. Why does Halie say she didn't want Tilden not to go outside?
(a) Bradley will cut his hair.
(b) Father Dewis will pray for him.
(c) She doesn't want him to get wet in the rain.
(d) Dodge will hide from him.
11. Where did Bradley go, only to return emotionally broken?
(a) New Mexico.
12. Who did Halie say this about? "I had no idea he would be that much trouble".
(c) Father Dewis.
13. Why does Sam Shephard write about this type of family?
(a) It is dysfunctonial like his own family.
(b) He enjoys revealing the victory of his family members.
(c) This family shows how to support your family members when they are in pain.
(d) Enjoys sharing gardening tips.
14. Where did Halie spend most of her time?
(a) Upstairs off stage.
(b) Visiting Ansel.
(c) In the backyard.
(d) With Father Dewis.
15. What set off this family toward disaster?
(a) Halie's devotion to her children.
(b) Dodge's trust for his wife.
(c) Father Dewis' devotion to Dodge.
(d) The mismatch between Dodge and Halie.
Short Answer Questions
1. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
2. What type of life did Halie leave behind when she married Dodge?
3. Who are having an adulterous affair in the play?
4. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
5. Who owned this farm?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)