|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Act One all about?
(a) The Introduction of the characters and the setting of the play.
(b) The virtue of marriage.
(c) The best way to grow vegtables.
(d) How to be a strong Christian.
2. Why did Sam Shepard choose a farm as the setting of this play?
(a) It was a beautiful vision of this family's fruitful garden.
(b) He was sure Dodge would rally in the end.
(c) He loves to watch vegetables grow.
(d) It was a contrast between fertile farming and the deterioration of this family.
3. What does Halie say Dodge has become?
(a) The father of Tilden's children.
(b) The head of Bradley's household.
(c) The man with a wooden leg.
(d) An evil, spiteful, vengeful man.
4. What is an indication of the family being dysfunctional?
(a) There are no daughters in the family.
(b) Stealing from each other's wallets.
(c) Different religions among family members.
(d) Father and mother (husband and wife) have a severely broken relationship.
5. What position did Dodge hold in the family?
(a) Son and friend.
(b) Father Dewis' partner.
(c) Father and husband.
(d) Halie's lover.
6. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
7. What was Halie expecting of Tilden?
(a) Tilden will buy groceries for the house.
(b) Tilden should take care of Bradley.
(c) Tilden will bring food everyday.
(d) Tilden will become a priest.
8. Why does Halie say she doesn't want Tilden to go outside?
(a) She doesn't want him to get wet in the rain.
(b) Father Dewis will pray for him.
(c) Dodge will hide from him.
(d) Bradley will cut his hair.
9. Which statement best describes Dodge's life?
(a) He is proud of his wife.
(b) His life is confined to the couch, television, and a bottle.
(c) He is very active and loves to jog.
(d) He is devoted to his children.
10. Why does Sam Shepard write about this type of family?
(a) This family shows how to support your family members when they are in pain.
(b) He enjoys revealing the victory of his family members.
(c) He enjoys sharing gardening tips.
(d) It is dysfunctional like his own family.
11. Who pretends that their marriage and relationship displays a loving partnership?
12. What significant place is in Illinois?
(a) Bradley's house.
(b) The farm that is the backdrop of the play.
(c) The jail where the characters visit.
(d) The church of Ansel's wedding.
13. Who spent time in jail?
(b) Father Dewis.
14. How many granddaughters did Dodge and Halie have?
15. When did Halie say she knew Ansel would be a dead man?
(a) When Dodge cried.
(b) When he kissed the bride.
(c) When he placed a ring on his bride's finger.
(d) When the priest had a gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church. Who is that character?
2. Which character was on stage during Act One?
3. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
4. Halie said she and Father Dewis were planning a monument for which character?
5. Who has a wooden leg?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)