|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Halie treat Dodge?
(a) Joy overflows their relationship.
(b) She talk continuously about her beloved.
(c) She retreats from him, hiding upstairs.
(d) She is faithful to her vows.
2. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
(a) She grew flowers like everyone in the area.
(b) She had a very good herb garden.
(c) She loved to make quilts.
(d) Halie went from the city life full of activity to an isolated life on the farm.
3. What is the backdrop for this play?
(a) Upstairs where Halie hides during the play.
(b) The backporch overlooking the garden.
(c) The backyard where vegetables are picked.
(d) Living room in an Illinois farm house.
4. Who taunted Halie about " the breeder-man teaching her a thing or two"?
(b) Father Dewis.
5. What happened to Ansel?
(a) He continued to pick vetables from the backyard garden.
(b) Died on his honeymoon.
(c) Took all the tools from the farm.
(d) Cut off his leg with a chain saw.
6. Where did Tilden return from, broken and unable to care for himself?
(a) New Mexico
7. What seemed to be just below the surface of this family's relationship?
(a) That Tilden was a practising Catholic.
(b) That Father Dewis truly cared for Halie.
(c) The fact that Bradley was a drunk.
(d) A light reference to a dark family secret.
8. Halie pretends to care for who?
9. Who pretends that their marriage and relationship displays a loving partnership?
10. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
(a) He is devoted to his children.
(b) He is proud of his wife.
(c) He is very active and loves to jog.
(d) His life is confinded to the couch, television, and a bottle.
11. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
(a) The sexual relationship between Teldon and Bradley.
(b) The incestuous relationship between Tilden and Halie.
(c) The audultrious relationship between Father Dewis and Halie.
(d) Ansel's marriage to a Catholic girl.
12. Who was an all-American halfback with a bright future ahead of them?
(b) Father Drewis.
13. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
14. Who is Ansel?
(a) Bradley' s father.
(b) Halie and Dodge's son.
(c) Tilden's son.
(d) Member of Father Drewis' church.
15. Who usually comes drunk after being out all night? And who does she bring with her?
(a) Halie and Father Dewis.
(b) Dodge and Halie.
(c) Bradley and Halie.
(d) Tilden and Halie.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tilden left corn husks on the floor, who did Halie say would be upset if they found them on the floor?
2. There are vague hints about a dark secret hidden in what area of the farm?
3. What did Sam Shepherd chose a farm as the setting of this play?
4. How long has it been since the garden has been worked, according to Dodge?
5. Dodge said this to who? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)