|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pretends that their marriage and relationship displays a loving partnership?
2. What is the backdrop for this play?
(a) The backyard where vegetables are picked.
(b) Upstairs where Halie hides during the play.
(c) Living room in an Illinois farm house.
(d) The backporch overlooking the garden.
3. What is primary character does Halie portray?
(a) Morning Ansel.
(b) Promiscuous and self centered.
(c) Committed to Bradley.
(d) Devoted to Tilden.
4. What is a key factor that started the crack in Halie and Dodge's relationship?
(a) She grew flowers like everyone in the area.
(b) She had a very good herb garden.
(c) She loved to make quilts.
(d) Halie went from the city life full of activity to an isolated life on the farm.
5. Why does Sam Shephard write about this type of family?
(a) Enjoys sharing gardening tips.
(b) This family shows how to support your family members when they are in pain.
(c) It is dysfunctonial like his own family.
(d) He enjoys revealing the victory of his family members.
6. There are vague hints about a dark secret hidden in what area of the farm?
(a) The backyard.
(b) The back porch.
(d) The living room on the sofa.
7. What is the main theme of this play?
(a) The dysfunction of this family.
(b) The virtue of marriage.
(c) The best way to grow vegtables.
(d) How to be a strong Christian.
8. Where did Tilden return from, broken and unable to care for himself?
(a) New Mexico
9. Who was in New Mexico?
(b) Father Dewis.
10. Who shouts from upstairs telling Dodge to take his medication when he coughs?
(c) Father Dewis.
11. Whose betrayal started the total destruction of this family?
(c) Ansel's wife
12. When did Halie say she knew Ansel would be a dead man?
(a) When Dodge cried.
(b) When he placed a ring on his bride's finger.
(c) When he kissed the bride.
(d) When the priest had a gun.
13. Who had an incestuous relationship?
(a) Halie and Ansel.
(b) Halie and Father Dewis.
(c) Halie and Tilden.
(d) Halie and Bradley.
14. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
(a) He is devoted to his children.
(b) He is very active and loves to jog.
(c) He is proud of his wife.
(d) His life is confinded to the couch, television, and a bottle.
15. Who are having an adulterous affair in the play?
(a) Halie and Bradley.
(b) Halie and and Dodge.
(c) Halie and Father Drewis.
(d) Halie and Tilden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tried to present themselves as the one in charge of the family, but was ignored by everyone?
2. Who is Ansel?
3. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
4. When Tilden left corn husks on the floor, who did Halie say would be upset if they found them on the floor?
5. Who taunted Halie about " the breeder-man teaching her a thing or two"?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)