|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are vague hints about a dark secret hidden in what area of the farm?
(a) The back porch.
(b) The backyard.
(c) The living room on the sofa.
2. Where did Halie spend most of her time?
(a) Upstairs off stage.
(b) With Father Dewis.
(c) Visiting Ansel.
(d) In the backyard.
3. Dodge said this to who? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
(c) Father Dewis.
4. Who shouts from upstairs telling Dodge to take his medication when he coughs?
(b) Father Dewis.
5. What is in Illinois?
(a) Ansel's wedding.
(b) Bradley's house.
(c) The farm.
(d) The jail.
6. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
(a) He is proud of his wife.
(b) His life is confinded to the couch, television, and a bottle.
(c) He is very active and loves to jog.
(d) He is devoted to his children.
7. What seemed to be just below the surface of this family's relationship?
(a) A light reference to a dark family secret.
(b) That Tilden was a practising Catholic.
(c) That Father Dewis truly cared for Halie.
(d) The fact that Bradley was a drunk.
8. Who was an all-American halfback with a bright future ahead of them?
(d) Father Drewis.
9. What type of life did Halie leave behind when she married Dodge?
(a) Life in the city with variety and stimulation.
(b) Being an upstanding member of the church.
(c) Being the mother of Ansel.
(d) Caring for Bradley.
10. What did Sam Shepherd chose a farm as the setting of this play?
(a) He loves to watch vegetables grow.
(b) It was a beautiful vision of this family's fruitful garden.
(c) it was a contrast between fertile farming and the deteriation of this family.
(d) He was sure Dodge would rallie in the end.
11. Who does Halie say needs to stay out of the yard?
(d) Father Dewis.
12. Who had an incestuous relationship?
(a) Halie and Tilden.
(b) Halie and Father Dewis.
(c) Halie and Ansel.
(d) Halie and Bradley.
13. How long has it been since the garden has been worked, according to Dodge?
(a) Since the death of Ansel
(b) Thirty years
(c) Bradley's return
(d) Tilden's return
14. Who are Dodge and Halie's sons?
(a) Bradley and James.
(b) Father Dewis and Tilden.
(c) Tilden and Bradley.
(d) John and Tilden.
15. What happened to Ansel?
(a) He continued to pick vetables from the backyard garden.
(b) Took all the tools from the farm.
(c) Cut off his leg with a chain saw.
(d) Died on his honeymoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halie say Dodge has become?
2. What set off this family toward disaster?
3. How does Halie treat Dodge?
4. What event resulted because of the disintegration of this family structure?
5. What is the main theme of this play?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)