|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main theme of this play?
(a) The dysfunction of this family.
(b) The best way to grow vegtables.
(c) The virtue of marriage.
(d) How to be a strong Christian.
2. What position did Dodge hold in the family?
(a) Halie's lover
(b) Father and husband
(c) Son and friend
(d) Father Drewis' partner
3. Where did Tilden return from, broken and unable to care for himself?
(a) New Mexico
4. If you described Dodge's life, what would be the first thing you would notice?
(a) He is proud of his wife.
(b) He is devoted to his children.
(c) He is very active and loves to jog.
(d) His life is confinded to the couch, television, and a bottle.
5. Who shouts from upstairs telling Dodge to take his medication when he coughs?
(a) Father Dewis.
6. Who pretends that their marriage and relationship displays a loving partnership?
7. Who does Halie say needs to stay out of the yard?
(c) Father Dewis.
8. Where did Bradley go, only to return emotionally broken?
(c) New Mexico.
9. Who hid under a blanket when they wanted to shut out the world?
10. Who is described as a drunken, ill, argumentative old man?
11. One of the characters appears to be an upright and righteous member of the church, who is that character?
(d) Father Drewis.
12. What set off this family toward disaster?
(a) Dodge's trust for his wife.
(b) Father Dewis' devotion to Dodge.
(c) Halie's devotion to her children.
(d) The mismatch between Dodge and Halie.
13. What did Sam Shepherd chose a farm as the setting of this play?
(a) it was a contrast between fertile farming and the deteriation of this family.
(b) He loves to watch vegetables grow.
(c) It was a beautiful vision of this family's fruitful garden.
(d) He was sure Dodge would rallie in the end.
14. Where did Halie spend most of her time?
(a) With Father Dewis.
(b) Upstairs off stage.
(c) Visiting Ansel.
(d) In the backyard.
15. Who are having an adulterous affair in the play?
(a) Halie and Bradley.
(b) Halie and Father Drewis.
(c) Halie and Tilden.
(d) Halie and and Dodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dodge said this to who? "Don't go outside. There's nothing out there."
2. Why does Sam Shephard write about this type of family?
3. Who has a wooden leg?
4. What is the first thing noticed about Halie?
5. Who does Halie tell Dodge they have to take care of?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)