|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is visiting Angel when Eddie arrives in Chapter 8?
2. What Spanish slang word from the vocabulary in Chapter 6 refers to the backside or buttocks of a person?
3. In Chapter 7, Eddie says, “"Coach had known most of us when we were knee-high gangsters with” what “hanging from our mouths”?
4. Eddie tells Coach about what being stolen in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Eddie go to see in Fresno after visiting with Coach in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Eddie’s stealing money for the SPCA donation in Chapter 5?
2. Who does Eddie go to for advice in Chapter 6? Why?
3. What plot transition takes place in Chapter 8?
4. What does Eddie imagine he is hearing in the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. What happens when Eddie goes to work for Mr. Stiles in Chapter 6?
6. What causes Eddie to flee from Holmes playground in Chapter 5?
7. What two choices does Eddie face in Chapter 6?
8. What happens to cause Eddie to flee Angel’s home in Chapter 8?
9. What does Eddie do in the two days after his ordeal with the police in Chapter 7?
10. What are Eddie’s impressions of the place that he goes to with Coach and José in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the military in the novel. What does joining the military mean for José? How does Eddie view the military and José’s stories of training? How do Eddie’s feelings about the military evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of poverty in the novel and the symbolism that supports this theme in Chapter 4. How is José’s getting stabbed symbolic of the power of the barrio to hold one down in life? What are examples of symbolism in other chapters that support this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the narrative voice of the novel and its protagonist. In what person and tense is the story told? Who narrates? Is this point-of-view a limited or an omniscient one?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)