|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do a younger gang leader and his friends show Eddie in order to threaten him as he paints lines on the field in Chapter 5?
2. Who is visiting Angel when Eddie arrives in Chapter 8?
3. What is the name of Eddie’s godmother’s dog in the narrative?
4. Where does Eddie see Angel as he leaves the hospital in Chapter 8?
5. What Spanish word from the novel refers to millet, or a type of grass that is cultivated for its grain and mostly used as fodder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Holmes playground described in Chapter 5?
2. What are Eddie’s impressions of the place that he goes to with Coach and José in Chapter 7?
3. What is foreshadowed regarding Eddie’s relationship with Angel in Chapter 5?
4. How does Eddie attempt to eradicate the roaches in his apartment in Chapter 7?
5. What happens when Eddie goes to work for Mr. Stiles in Chapter 6?
6. Who does Eddie encounter at the Navy recruitment office in Chapter 6? What impression does this make on Eddie?
7. What choices does Eddie face in Chapter 7? How does he feel about his fate?
8. What does Eddie find at his apartment when he returns from the police station in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Eddie go to Holmes playground in Chapter 5? Who does he encounter there?
10. What two choices does Eddie face in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the motif of onions in Buried Onions. When are they first mentioned by the narrator? How do onions play into the description of the setting in the barrio? What is represented by the onion seller in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the narrative voice of the novel and its protagonist. In what person and tense is the story told? Who narrates? Is this point-of-view a limited or an omniscient one?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eddie’s impressions of the information he learns from Norma about the murder in Chapter 4. Why does Eddie initially disbelieve the story? What makes him reconsider the possibility? How does this information change Eddie’s actions and objectives?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)