|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eddie accuses Angel of killing whom in Chapter 8?
2. What is the name of Samuel’s brother in the narrative?
3. What is the name of Eddie’s godmother’s dog in the narrative?
4. What area does Eddie go to where the local gangsters hang out recruiting kids in Chapter 5?
5. Who does Coach make a phone call in order to help Eddie in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Eddie to flee from Holmes playground in Chapter 5?
2. What does Eddie do in the two days after his ordeal with the police in Chapter 7?
3. What is significant about Eddie’s stealing money for the SPCA donation in Chapter 5?
4. How does Eddie attempt to eradicate the roaches in his apartment in Chapter 7?
5. Who does Eddie encounter at the Navy recruitment office in Chapter 6? What impression does this make on Eddie?
6. What plot transition takes place in Chapter 8?
7. What choices does Eddie face in Chapter 7? How does he feel about his fate?
8. What happens to cause Eddie to flee Angel’s home in Chapter 8?
9. What are Eddie’s impressions of the place that he goes to with Coach and José in Chapter 7?
10. Why does Eddie go to Holmes playground in Chapter 5? Who does he encounter there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of Holmes playground in the novel. Where in the barrio is this setting located? Who are the regular “characters” in the setting? What does Samuel represent symbolically? What is Samuel’s relationship to Eddie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the setting of Buried Onions. How is a barrio defined? In what year does the story take place? How does Eddie describe the city of Fresno? Where does Eddie work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Coach in the narrative. How old is Coach? How long has Eddie known him? Why does Eddie trust Coach in telling him about the stolen truck? What does Coach represent symbolically to Eddie?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)