|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the area of the Central Valley of California that lies south of the Sacramento – San Joaquin River Delta in Stockton?
2. What term refers to mental diversion by means of entertainment or recreation?
3. Where does Mr. Stiles live in the novel?
4. Eddie learns that Angel was angry over Jesús’s having sold what and not sharing the profits in Chapter 4?
5. What is the narrative point-of-view of Buried Onions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author establish through the exposition in Chapter 1?
2. What do Eddie and José find when they stop to pick up onions after eating in Chapter 4?
3. What does Eddie’s aunt bring him daily in Chapter 1? Why?
4. Who is Angel? How is he described in Chapter 1?
5. What does José represent symbolically to Eddie in the narrative?
6. What causes Eddie’s sense of fear in Chapter 1?
7. What background information does the author establish regarding Eddie’s past and the people he has lost in Chapter 1?
8. What does Eddie’s job entail generally? Who greets him when he arrives home from work in Chapter 1?
9. What does Eddie take to Mr. Stiles’s home in Chapter 3?
10. Who do Eddie’s aunt and mother try to get him to date in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the narrative voice of the novel and its protagonist. In what person and tense is the story told? Who narrates? Is this point-of-view a limited or an omniscient one?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Aunt Delores in the novel. How close is Eddie to his aunt? Where does Delores live? What objective does Delores have in bringing Eddie tortillas? Do you think this makes her a likable character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the motif of onions in Buried Onions. When are they first mentioned by the narrator? How do onions play into the description of the setting in the barrio? What is represented by the onion seller in the novel?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)