|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Eddie’s mother and aunt give him to eat when they visit in Chapter 3?
2. Everyone believes that Eddie has done what in the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. Who does José tell Eddie to call after they leave the restaurant in Chapter 4?
4. How many of Eddie’s uncles does he claim have died in Chapter 1?
5. What does Eddie refer to his mother and aunt as in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eddie take to Mr. Stiles’s home in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Angel visit Eddie in Chapter 3? How does Eddie respond?
3. What does Eddie discover at the dump in Chapter 2?
4. Who is Angel? How is he described in Chapter 1?
5. How is Eddie’s neighborhood described in Chapter 1?
6. What information about Jesús’s murder does Eddie learn in the beginning of Chapter 4?
7. Where do Eddie and José go to eat in Chapter 4? Who do they encounter there?
8. What additional item does Eddie’s aunt bring him with tortillas in Chapter 2? Why?
9. How does Eddie respond to the news about Jesús’s murder in Chapter 4?
10. What does the author establish through the exposition in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss examples of foreshadowing in Chapters 1 and 2. How is the theft of Mr. Stiles’s truck foreshadowed in the narrative? How effectively does the author employ foreshadowing? What is foreshadowed by Eddie’s Aunt Delores?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the military in the novel. What does joining the military mean for José? How does Eddie view the military and José’s stories of training? How do Eddie’s feelings about the military evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the objectives and actions of Eddie in the novel. What does Eddie want as a character? What actions does he take in order to gain those objectives? Is Eddie successful in achieving his objectives? Why or why not?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)