|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the playground in the barrio where kids play, and where gangsters recruit new members?
2. When Eddie returns to his apartment after leaving Mr. Stiles’s home in Chapter 3, his mother and what aunt arrive for a visit?
3. What does Eddie ask his mother and aunt to do as he leaves his apartment in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Mr. Stiles ask Eddie to drop off some items in Chapter 2?
5. What is José’s last name in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Angel visit Eddie in Chapter 3? How does Eddie respond?
2. How is Eddie’s neighborhood described in Chapter 1?
3. Who calls Eddie at the end of Chapter 3? Why?
4. What background information does the author establish regarding Eddie’s past and the people he has lost in Chapter 1?
5. What leads to Eddie’s encounter with the police in Chapter 3?
6. What does Eddie take to Mr. Stiles’s home in Chapter 3?
7. How does Eddie feel about his job prospect in Chapter 2?
8. Where do Eddie and José go to eat in Chapter 4? Who do they encounter there?
9. What does Eddie’s aunt bring him daily in Chapter 1? Why?
10. What does Eddie’s job entail generally? Who greets him when he arrives home from work in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eddie’s godmother in the narrative. What does the incident with Queenie reveal about Eddie's true nature? How does Eddie’s relationship with his godmother differ from his relationship with his mother or Aunt Delores?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the objectives and actions of Eddie in the novel. What does Eddie want as a character? What actions does he take in order to gain those objectives? Is Eddie successful in achieving his objectives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mr. Stiles in the narrative. How does Eddie feel about Mr. Stiles? How is Mr. Stiles’s home described? Is Mr. Stiles a likable character? Why or why not?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)