|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie ask his mother and aunt to do as he leaves his apartment in Chapter 3?
2. What had Eddie returned to City College to do in Chapter 3?
3. What is stolen while Eddie stops by his apartment before returning to his job for Mr. Stiles in Chapter 2?
4. What term is used as reference to U.S. citizens of Mexican descent?
5. When he is given a special task by Mr. Stiles in Chapter 2, Eddie is overjoyed that Mr. Stiles trusts him to borrow what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Mr. Stiles’s truck being stolen in Chapter 2?
2. What does the author establish through the exposition in Chapter 1?
3. What information about Jesús’s murder does Eddie learn in the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. Where does Eddie work in Chapter 1? How is this neighborhood described?
5. What causes Eddie’s sense of fear in Chapter 1?
6. What does Eddie take to Mr. Stiles’s home in Chapter 3?
7. How is Eddie’s neighborhood described in Chapter 1?
8. Where do Eddie and José go to eat in Chapter 4? Who do they encounter there?
9. What background information does the author establish regarding Eddie’s past and the people he has lost in Chapter 1?
10. What does Eddie’s job entail generally? Who greets him when he arrives home from work in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of Buried Onions. How is a barrio defined? In what year does the story take place? How does Eddie describe the city of Fresno? Where does Eddie work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eddie’s impressions of the information he learns from Norma about the murder in Chapter 4. Why does Eddie initially disbelieve the story? What makes him reconsider the possibility? How does this information change Eddie’s actions and objectives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of death and violence established in the beginning of Buried Onions. How do the deaths of Eddie’s friends and family members affect him? How is death related to the symbolism of onions in the narrative?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)