|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that will come later in the story?
2. Eddie’s cousin was murdered by a stranger after making a comment about the stranger’s what?
3. When was author Gary Soto born?
4. What item does Eddie spot and take with him while running an errand for Mr. Stiles in Chapter 2?
5. Eddie’s aunt tells him that who will help him achieve the action she wants him to do in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Eddie’s encounter with the police in Chapter 3?
2. Where do Eddie and José go to eat in Chapter 4? Who do they encounter there?
3. What leads to Mr. Stiles’s truck being stolen in Chapter 2?
4. What information about Jesús’s murder does Eddie learn in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. How does Eddie respond to the news about Jesús’s murder in Chapter 4?
6. How does Eddie feel about his job prospect in Chapter 2?
7. Who is the protagonist of the book? How is his objective defined in Chapter 1?
8. How is Eddie’s neighborhood described in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Angel visit Eddie in Chapter 3? How does Eddie respond?
10. What does Eddie discover at the dump in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the military in the novel. What does joining the military mean for José? How does Eddie view the military and José’s stories of training? How do Eddie’s feelings about the military evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss examples of foreshadowing in Chapters 1 and 2. How is the theft of Mr. Stiles’s truck foreshadowed in the narrative? How effectively does the author employ foreshadowing? What is foreshadowed by Eddie’s Aunt Delores?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eddie’s brush with the police in Chapter 3. Why are the police called on Eddie while he is in north Fresno? What does he do upon facing this conflict? Is this a good decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)