|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Eddie in Chapter 1?
2. What job does Mr. Stiles ask Eddie to do for him in Chapter 2?
(b) Car detailing.
(d) Truck driver.
3. What is among the tortillas brought to Eddie by his aunt in Chapter 2?
(a) A few photographs.
(b) A newspaper.
(d) A gun.
4. What term is used as reference to U.S. citizens of Mexican descent?
(a) El timbre.
5. What refers to a desired result an animal, person or a system envisions, plans and commits to achieve?
6. What does Eddie ask his mother and aunt to do as he leaves his apartment in Chapter 3?
(a) Lock up when they leave.
(b) Leave him alone.
(c) Pay his phone bill.
(d) Say hello to his uncle.
7. How old was Gary Soto when his father died?
8. What does José give to the onion seller’s children in Chapter 4?
(a) A pack of gum.
(b) A toy.
(c) Some money.
(d) Some oranges.
9. Chapter 2 ends with Eddie saying that the "east was one large bruise that was slowly becoming” what?
(d) “The night.”
10. What does Eddie explain to Mr. Stiles in the note that he leaves him in Chapter 3?
(a) That the truck was stolen.
(b) That he still wants to work for him.
(c) That he has joined the army.
(d) That he has taken another job.
11. What refers to writing or speech primarily intended to convey information or to explain?
12. The man selling onions that José and Eddie encounter in Chapter 4 is selling them for how much per sack?
13. What refers to the area of the Central Valley of California that lies south of the Sacramento – San Joaquin River Delta in Stockton?
(a) The San Joaquin Valley.
(b) Yosemite Valley.
(c) The Shasta Valley.
(d) The Sacramento Valley.
14. Eddie receives a call from a girl who works where in Chapter 3?
(a) A used bookstore.
(b) The City College cafeteria.
(c) A car dealership.
(d) A bank.
15. In literature, what refers to the inherent incompatibility between the objectives of two or more characters or forces?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what institution did Gary Soto earn his M.F.A. in poetry?
2. What branch of the military has José joined in Chapter 4?
3. When did author Gary Soto earn his B.A. degree in English?
4. Eddie’s mother and aunt try to convince Eddie to date a girl named what in Chapter 3?
5. What refers to an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself, often of a more abstract nature?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)