|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what institution did Gary Soto earn his M.F.A. in poetry?
(a) The University of California, Irvine.
(b) The University of Nevada, Reno.
(c) The University of Alaska, Fairbanks.
(d) The University of Wisconsin, Madison.
2. Eddie receives a call from a girl who works where in Chapter 3?
(a) A used bookstore.
(b) The City College cafeteria.
(c) A car dealership.
(d) A bank.
3. What refers to the area of the Central Valley of California that lies south of the Sacramento – San Joaquin River Delta in Stockton?
(a) Yosemite Valley.
(b) The Sacramento Valley.
(c) The Shasta Valley.
(d) The San Joaquin Valley.
4. Where does Eddie bike daily to do odd jobs in Chapter 1?
(a) East Fresno.
(b) North Fresno.
(c) West Fresno.
(d) South Fresno.
5. What inexpensive food does Eddie typically live off of in the novel?
(a) Dog food.
(b) Top Ramen.
(c) Peanut butter.
6. Eddie’s cousin was murdered by a stranger after making a comment about the stranger’s what?
(a) Lazy eye.
7. Everyone believes that Eddie has done what in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Joined the Navy.
(b) Graduated college.
(c) Stolen Mr. Stiles’s truck.
(d) Gotten married.
8. Who does José tell Eddie to call after they leave the restaurant in Chapter 4?
(a) Eddie's Mother.
(c) Mr. Stiles.
9. The girl who calls Eddie in Chapter 3 gave him what for free earlier in the day?
(a) A book.
(b) A sandwich.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A hat.
10. What is José’s last name in the narrative?
11. What aunt brings Eddie food in Chapter 2?
12. What is among the tortillas brought to Eddie by his aunt in Chapter 2?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A few photographs.
(c) A gun.
13. When did author Gary Soto earn his B.A. degree in English?
14. How is José injured in Chapter 4?
(a) He is punched.
(b) He is clubbed.
(c) He is stabbed.
(d) He is shot.
15. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that will come later in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. In narrative, what is any recurring element that has symbolic significance in a story?
2. What Spanish word is used in the novel meaning district or neighborhood?
3. What refers to writing or speech primarily intended to convey information or to explain?
4. Eddie is accused of saying bad words by a child riding what in Chapter 3?
5. What item does Eddie spot and take with him while running an errand for Mr. Stiles in Chapter 2?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)