|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eddie refer to his mother and aunt as in Chapter 3?
(a) “Gossip queens.”
(b) “Old nags.”
(c) “Crazy ladies.”
(d) “Nosy nannies.”
2. Most of the residents of Eddie’s neighborhood are descended from what heritage?
3. When was author Gary Soto born?
4. What inexpensive food does Eddie typically live off of in the novel?
(b) Peanut butter.
(c) Top Ramen.
(d) Dog food.
5. Who tells Eddie that Angel killed Jesús in Chapter 4?
6. What does Eddie ask his mother and aunt to do as he leaves his apartment in Chapter 3?
(a) Lock up when they leave.
(b) Say hello to his uncle.
(c) Leave him alone.
(d) Pay his phone bill.
7. Who blames Eddie for what happened to José in Chapter 4?
(a) José’s family.
(d) Eddie's mother.
8. What is the playground in the barrio where kids play, and where gangsters recruit new members?
(a) Rodgers Park.
(b) Mason Playground.
(c) Holmes Playground.
(d) Smith Park
9. Eddie’s mother and aunt try to convince Eddie to date a local girl who is a good catch to them because she has only one what in Chapter 3?
10. What do Eddie’s mother and aunt give him to eat when they visit in Chapter 3?
(a) A cheeseburger.
(b) A burrito.
(c) Smoked salmon.
(d) Fried chicken.
11. What pests inhabit Eddie’s apartment much to his chagrin in the novel?
(c) Howler monkeys.
12. Where does Mr. Stiles live in the novel?
(a) West Fresno.
(b) East Fresno.
(c) North Fresno.
(d) South Fresno.
13. What had Eddie returned to City College to do in Chapter 3?
(a) Sell his textbooks.
(b) Talk to a professor.
(c) Use the computers.
(d) Enroll in more classes.
14. In narrative, what is any recurring element that has symbolic significance in a story?
15. Who calls Eddie while his mother and aunt are visiting in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does José tell Eddie to call after they leave the restaurant in Chapter 4?
2. José tells the man selling onions that he will buy how many sacks in Chapter 4?
3. Eddie is accused of saying bad words by a child riding what in Chapter 3?
4. What is José’s last name in the narrative?
5. What term refers to mental diversion by means of entertainment or recreation?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)