|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eddie’s aunt want him to do for her in Chapter 2?
(a) Go shopping with her.
(b) Get out of the barrio.
(c) Pay her for the tortillas.
(d) Avenge her son’s death.
2. What does Eddie spot across the street from the breakfast café in Chapter 4?
(a) Mr. Stiles’s truck. A police car.
(c) A police car.
(d) His mother.
3. How old was Gary Soto when his father died?
4. When Eddie returns to his apartment after leaving Mr. Stiles’s home in Chapter 3, his mother and what aunt arrive for a visit?
5. Who tells Eddie that Angel killed Jesús in Chapter 4?
6. In what area of the city is Eddie’s apartment, as described in Chapter 1?
(a) The north.
(b) The northwest.
(c) The west.
(d) The southeast.
7. What refers to an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself, often of a more abstract nature?
8. How old is Eddie’s mother in Chapter 3?
(a) Her 70s.
(b) Her 80s.
(c) Her 60s.
(d) Her 50s.
9. What branch of the military has José joined in Chapter 4?
(a) The Army.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Navy.
10. What institution did Eddie recently drop out of in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Sequoia College.
(b) Kern College.
(c) Sierra College.
(d) City College.
11. When was the novel Buried Onions published?
12. Eddie receives a call from a girl who works where in Chapter 3?
(a) A bank.
(b) The City College cafeteria.
(c) A car dealership.
(d) A used bookstore.
13. The girl who calls Eddie in Chapter 3 invites him to come to her house to do what?
(a) Go swimming.
(b) Go for a walk.
(d) Go on a date.
14. How old is Eddie in Chapter 1?
15. Eddie compares his apartment as being “as quiet” as what and “just as smelly” in Chapter 4?
(a) A fox.
(b) A block of cheese.
(c) A landfill.
(d) A shoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does José tell Eddie to call after they leave the restaurant in Chapter 4?
2. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that will come later in the story?
3. What do Eddie’s mother and aunt give him to eat when they visit in Chapter 3?
4. In narrative, what is any recurring element that has symbolic significance in a story?
5. In literature, what refers to the inherent incompatibility between the objectives of two or more characters or forces?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)