|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term is used as reference to U.S. citizens of Mexican descent?
(d) El timbre.
2. Who calls Eddie while his mother and aunt are visiting in Chapter 3?
3. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
4. In literature, what refers to the inherent incompatibility between the objectives of two or more characters or forces?
5. When he is given a special task by Mr. Stiles in Chapter 2, Eddie is overjoyed that Mr. Stiles trusts him to borrow what?
(a) His gun.
(b) His truck.
(c) His tools.
(d) His dog.
6. What technical skill was Eddie studying before dropping out of school?
(a) Almond farming.
(b) Air conditioning repair.
(c) Swimming pool installer.
(d) Computer programming.
7. What is the name of Eddie’s aunt who brings him tortillas every day in Chapter 1?
8. What local gangster solicits Eddie to help him avenge Eddie’s cousin’s death in Chapter 1?
9. What is the name of Eddie’s cousin who was recently murdered in Chapter 1?
10. Everyone believes that Eddie has done what in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Graduated college.
(b) Joined the Navy.
(c) Gotten married.
(d) Stolen Mr. Stiles’s truck.
11. Chapter 2 ends with Eddie saying that the "east was one large bruise that was slowly becoming” what?
(c) “The night.”
12. What does Eddie ask his mother and aunt to do as he leaves his apartment in Chapter 3?
(a) Pay his phone bill.
(b) Say hello to his uncle.
(c) Lock up when they leave.
(d) Leave him alone.
13. What Spanish word is used in the novel meaning district or neighborhood?
14. The girl who calls Eddie in Chapter 3 gave him what for free earlier in the day?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) A hat.
(c) A book.
(d) A sandwich.
15. Eddie is accused of saying bad words by a child riding what in Chapter 3?
(a) A unicycle.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A skateboard.
(d) A tricycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself, often of a more abstract nature?
2. Who does José tell Eddie to call after they leave the restaurant in Chapter 4?
3. The girl who calls Eddie in Chapter 3 invites him to come to her house to do what?
4. How many of Eddie’s uncles does he claim have died in Chapter 1?
5. What term refers to mental diversion by means of entertainment or recreation?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)