|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madame Bagnelli afraid of when she picks Rosa up at the airport?
(a) That Rosa is detained in Africa.
(b) That customs has stopped Rosa.
(c) That Rosa has decided not to come.
(d) That she is a day late.
2. What does Rosa do after she hangs up the phone with Bassie?
(a) She calls Bernard.
(b) She vomits.
(c) She breaks things.
(d) She throws the phone.
3. What occurs on June 16, 1976 in South Africa?
(a) Soweto students shoot policemen.
(b) Soweto students uprise and rebel.
(c) A hospital in Johannesburg is bombed.
(d) Students are massacred.
4. What refreshments does Brandt offer Rosa when she visits his home?
(a) Ginger bread and orange juice.
(b) Cornbread and iced tea.
(c) Muffins and coffee.
(d) Pumpkin bread and cranberry juice.
5. Who is Donna obliged to entertain one evening?
(a) An English friend of her family.
(b) An African friend of her family.
(c) A French friend of her family.
(d) An Italian friend of her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosa state is her underlying reason for going to stay with Katya?
2. What does Brandt believe was Lionel's downfall?
3. What does Gaby do for Rosa for Manolis' party?
4. What doesn't Bassie know about Rosa's family?
5. What does Rosa ask of Bassie when he tells her that he does not even know her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Didier seems to be no more than a young gold digger, he does have some strong advice for Rosa. What does he tell her on the beach after their swim, and why does he believe what he says?
2. Where does Rosa's passbook allow her to go, and not go? Why is she allowed in certain places and not others?
3. What is the consequence of Bassie's phone call for Rosa?
4. In Pages 262-290, how does Rosa become part of France?
5. Who in Rosa's family is arrested and why?
6. What does Rosa want to do when she sees the donkey being beaten, and why doesn't she do it?
7. Who does Fats go to visit and what does he express as his need?
8. What are Rosa's thoughts concerning her future with Bernard?
9. What horrific event takes place on June 16th 1976 in South Africa?
10. How do Katya and Rosa handle the idea of Lionel in their relationship?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)