|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Rosa ask of Clare when they are looking at the empty apartment?
(a) "Won't giving this apartment to a this girl cause you trouble?"
(b) "Why do you want to keep me involved?"
(c) "Why do you go on with it."
(d) "Why do you want to live here?"
2. Why do Rosa and Marcus go to Cape Town?
(a) Rosa wanted to make love by the sea.
(b) Rosa needed to get away after her father's death.
(c) Lionel had been a medical student there.
(d) Marcus said it was his favorite place.
3. What does the old-maid school teacher do to the Burger family?
(a) She sells their story to a journalist.
(b) She betrays Cathy by sleeping with Lionel.
(c) She takes possessions from their home.
(d) She betrays Lionel at the trial.
4. What kind of lessons does Conrad take in the evenings?
5. Who is Rosa named after?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her great-grandmother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rosa respond to Clare's request when Clare visits her at her apartment?
2. At age fourteen, what does Lionel come to realize about the blacks and whites?
3. What is the main topic of conversation between the men at Fats' home?
4. What does Clare tell Rosa about the cause and her involvement in it?
5. What did the trial after the strike allow the government to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the city on the anniversary of Lionel's death and how does Rosa react to it and why?
2. How is Rosa's life tragic as shown in the first section of the novel?
3. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
4. What is the relationship between Conrad and Rosa from the time they met to the end of the first section of the book?
5. How does Conrad see Rosa's childhood and where does he believe it will lead her?
6. What cloak and dagger stuff has Rosa been involved in in the past, and what were the results?
7. What occupation is Lionel Burger's and how does his social standing affect his views?
8. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
9. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
10. What do Greer and Rosa see on their ride home from Orlanda and how and why do they react the way that they do?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)