|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Noel de Witt want to become for his career?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A prison warden.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A politician.
2. Why does Rosa move out of the cottage?
(a) Conrad is sleeping with someone else.
(b) Conrad asks her to.
(c) She wants to live in the city.
(d) She is sick of it.
3. What question does Rosa ask of Clare when they are looking at the empty apartment?
(a) "Why do you go on with it."
(b) "Won't giving this apartment to a this girl cause you trouble?"
(c) "Why do you want to live here?"
(d) "Why do you want to keep me involved?"
4. What is the last trial in which Cathy and Lionel stand accused together?
(a) The Communist Party Trial of 1957.
(b) The Treason Trial of 1957.
(c) The Riotous Trial of 1955.
(d) The Strikers Trial of 1956.
5. What does Dick whisper to Rosa in the window of her car as she is about to leave his home?
(a) She should stay away from all of Lionel's associates.
(b) To join the Communist Party.
(c) Beware Flora.
(d) She should be part of the revolt that is about to happen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lily's baby boy?
2. What is Darlene doing in the public square?
3. What is Greer's concern for Marisa after she arrives at Fats'?
4. What is James afraid of in regards to the black children?
5. At age fourteen, what does Lionel come to realize about the blacks and whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
2. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
3. What politics are the Burgers involved in and what is their stand on the issue?
4. What does Rosa feel shortly before she leaves Fats' house?
5. What occupation is Lionel Burger's and how does his social standing affect his views?
6. What is the relationship between Conrad and Rosa from the time they met to the end of the first section of the book?
7. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
8. What is the argument that the men have at Fats' home concerning black athletes?
9. What does Rosa recollect after the death of the man in the public square concerning her parents, Tony and Conrad?
10. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)