|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the schoolmaster say about what blacks want in the discussion at Fats' home?
(a) They want the white man to disappear.
(b) They want to be alive--not killed.
(c) They want political leaders in jail.
(d) They want to fight at any cost.
2. What does Conrad say was celebrated in Rosa's home as she grew up?
(c) Political events.
3. How long does Lionel Burger speak when he gets his chance in court?
(a) Thirty eight minutes.
(b) One hour and forty seven minutes.
(c) Two hours fifteen minutes.
(d) One hour and ten minutes.
4. What does Rosa do for a living after she leaves the hospital?
(a) She works for a trade journal.
(b) She works on a farm.
(c) She works in a retail store.
(d) She works at the train station.
5. What does Clare tell Rosa about the cause and her involvement in it?
(a) She can envision no other life for herself.
(b) It will be easier for them than their parents.
(c) She wants to be there when the future happens.
(d) She is obligated to continue her parents work.
6. How does Rosa see the boat-builders: the friends of Conrad's?
(a) As empathetic people.
(b) As simple people.
(c) As free people.
(d) As apathetic people.
7. What two items does Rosa bring with her to the fortress in the opening pages of the novel?
(a) A book and a dress.
(b) A quilt and a water bottle.
(c) Food and clothes.
(d) A quilt and food.
8. Who is Bassie?
(a) Lily's brother.
(b) A worker at the hotel.
(c) The black boy who lived with the Burgers.
(d) The Burger's dog.
9. How many black miners participated in the strike of 1946 in South Africa?
10. What do Rosa and Greer see on the side of the road on their way home from Fats' that they do not stop for?
(a) A broken down vehicle.
(b) A man lying in the road.
(c) A dead animal.
(d) Young children alone on the street.
11. What response does Tandi make to Rosa when Rosa asks her if the baby is hers?
(a) "They're all ours."
(b) "No, he is Margaret's, but he loves me."
(c) "Of Course, he is mine."
(d) "No, but I take care of him often."
12. What is the last trial in which Cathy and Lionel stand accused together?
(a) The Strikers Trial of 1956.
(b) The Communist Party Trial of 1957.
(c) The Riotous Trial of 1955.
(d) The Treason Trial of 1957.
13. How does Rosa feel about Conrad when she moves from the cottage?
(a) She feels like he is her brother.
(b) She is very angry with him.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She cries for days.
14. What does Clare want from Rosa when she goes to her apartment to see her?
(a) She wants Rosa to get the key to the copy room at work.
(b) She wants Rosa to make copies for the cause.
(c) She wants Rosa to join the revolt.
(d) She wants Rosa to protest with her.
15. What does Rosa consider a sickness?
(a) Privileged children.
(c) Not being able to ignore other people's suffering.
(d) Separation of blacks and whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick whisper to Rosa in the window of her car as she is about to leave his home?
2. Why is Rosa engaged to Noel de Witt?
3. What is Rosa's profession when she grows up?
4. Why does Rosa move out of the cottage?
5. Why do Rosa and Marcus go to Cape Town?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)