|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Greer do with the dinner he is given at Fats'?
(a) He pushes the food around his plate.
(b) He eats it voraciously.
(c) He ignores it completely.
(d) He shares it with the little ones.
2. Before his death, what do many people come to Lionel's home for?
(d) Legal advice.
3. What is Darlene doing in the public square?
(a) Kissing a young man.
(b) Playing with two boys.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Eating her lunch.
4. What happens to the man in the park who was sitting on the bench across from Rosa?
(a) One of the boys kicks him.
(b) He drops his ice cream cone and the pigeons eat it.
(c) He dies on the bench.
(d) Two hobos mug him.
5. What does the schoolmaster say about what blacks want in the discussion at Fats' home?
(a) They want to fight at any cost.
(b) They want to be alive--not killed.
(c) They want political leaders in jail.
(d) They want the white man to disappear.
6. Where does Rosa meet Conrad the first time?
(a) At her home.
(b) At a Greek cafe.
(c) At school.
(d) At the prison.
7. What affliction does Clare have that Rosa notes more than once?
8. What do the Nel relatives own, besides the hotel?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A ranch.
(c) A cafe.
(d) A farm.
9. What kind of lessons does Conrad take in the evenings?
10. What happens to the cottage that Rosa once lived in with Conrad?
(a) It is burned down.
(b) It is destroyed by a gang.
(c) It is reconstructed.
(d) It is bulldozed.
11. What does Rosa understand about political change?
(a) It is only a battle for the very strong.
(b) It doesn't ever happen.
(c) It only happens after many failures.
(d) It comes at a great cost.
12. What is Greer's outlook on the future of the blacks of South Africa, as he states at Fats' house?
(a) The white man knows what is best for the black people.
(b) The blacks must latch on to the white man who wants to help.
(c) The bourgeioise blacks are making things better.
(d) All blacks must work together--not be in two groups.
13. Why has Lionel been imprisoned?
(a) For fighting against apartheid.
(b) For attmepting to overthrow the government.
(c) For treason.
(d) For theft.
14. What does Daniel tell Rosa about one of his boys?
(a) He will go work in her garden at home.
(b) He will come to marry Rosa.
(c) He will come to work at the hotel.
(d) He is smart and will go to school to be a doctor.
15. Who sends the two letters to Rosa on the anniversary of her father's death?
(a) Her Swedish lover and Aunt Velma.
(b) Conrad and the Swede.
(c) Aunt Velma and Conrad.
(d) Her bother David and Aunt Velma.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rosa feel about Clare in general?
2. What does Rosa know happened at the Providence House that Marisa was unaware of until later?
3. What does Greer tell Rosa about the book that he has read from a former political prisoner now in exile?
4. What is Cathy's fight for the blacks?
5. Who is Bassie?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)