|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Tony and Rosa stay with their Aunt Velma?
(a) Four months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Ten weeks.
2. What is mealie?
3. What is the main topic of conversation between the men at Fats' home?
(a) Detained friends.
(b) Black athletes playing in the white athletes' games.
(c) Lionel Burger.
(d) Nelson Mandela.
4. Where does Rosa meet Conrad the first time?
(a) At school.
(b) At her home.
(c) At the prison.
(d) At a Greek cafe.
5. What does the watchman come to see Conrad about?
(a) A meeting for black people.
(b) A ship.
(c) A bet.
6. Why is the group knocking at the prison door in the opening pages of the novel?
(a) They came to complain.
(b) They came for visiting hour.
(c) They came to revolt.
(d) They were promised they could deliver supplies to their loved ones.
7. What question does Rosa ask of Clare when they are looking at the empty apartment?
(a) "Why do you want to live here?"
(b) "Why do you want to keep me involved?"
(c) "Won't giving this apartment to a this girl cause you trouble?"
(d) "Why do you go on with it."
8. What is Darlene doing in the public square?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Kissing a young man.
(c) Playing with two boys.
(d) Eating her lunch.
9. What does Rosa know happened at the Providence House that Marisa was unaware of until later?
(a) The raid.
(b) Shops are shut down.
(c) A killing.
(d) High school children were sent from their classrooms.
10. How does Rosa see the boat-builders: the friends of Conrad's?
(a) As empathetic people.
(b) As apathetic people.
(c) As simple people.
(d) As free people.
11. How do the Sunday dinners at the Burgers' house come about?
(a) From the black sociability of joining the family evening meal.
(b) From the insistence of Marie Burger.
(c) From Lionel and Cathy's involvment with Marisa's group.
(d) From the white sociability of the invitation.
12. What does Rosa remark that Fats will do if she is caught at his home by the police?
(a) Know who to give the money to.
(b) Know who to talk to at the station.
(c) Know who to give the brandy to.
(d) Know what words to say to get her out of trouble.
13. Why was Ivy Terblanche sentenced to prison in the past?
(a) She would not testify against her husband.
(b) She was a member of the Communist Party.
(c) She was caught passing information against the government.
(d) She would not testify against Lionel.
14. How old is Rosa Burger on the day that she first goes to the prison?
15. Who is Lily?
(a) She is Mrs. Burger's colleague.
(b) She is Rosa's girlhood friend.
(c) She is a neighbor of the Burgers'.
(d) She is the servant of the Burger's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marcus' plan concerning Lionel Burger?
2. Why is Rosa engaged to Noel de Witt?
3. What does Conrad say was celebrated in Rosa's home as she grew up?
4. How does Rosa feel about Clare in general?
5. What does Conrad tell Rosa about her future?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)