|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bud's first mistake during his newfound independence?
2. What do Bud's rules provide for him?
3. What does Bud have for breakfast?
4. Why is it surprising that Bud is able to show such confidence about himself?
5. What story does Bud recount for Bugs that Bugs had already heard about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bud's mother insist he be called Bud and not Buddy?
2. What information does the new librarian share with Bud and how does she treat Bud?
3. What happens to Bud's mother after she becomes angered over one of the blue flyers he carries as a prized possession?
4. How does the reader feel after Bud is attacked by the hornets?
5. How does Todd's mother react to the situation between Bud and Todd and why does Bud think she reacts that way?
6. What does Bud want to do for the family who helped him to get breakfast and how do they respond?
7. What realization does Bud come to in regard to Todd and the way he treats Bud?
8. What do the hornets and the edgy teeth seem to be symbolic of?
9. What does Bud take with him and how does he feel as he leaves?
10. How does Bud feel about being stuck in the barn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bud, the main character of this novel, has obvious pitfalls which have made his life quite difficult. Explain in writing, including supporting details from the novel, why the reader is able to relate to Bud and even admire him for these pitfalls. Do you admire Bud? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did the character of Bud stay connected to what was once his family throughout the novel? In what ways did this help him through his struggles? Do you believe this was a positive or negative characteristic of Bud? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the author surprise the reader with the level of mistreatment? Were you surprised? How does the author convey Bud's level of fear with the reader? Is it effective?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)