|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do residents of the cardboard jungle wake each other up?
(a) So that no one will miss the train.
(b) So that they can put away their homes for the day.
(c) So that they do not miss breakfast.
(d) So that the police do not arrest them.
2. Which of the following words describes what Bud must do to get breakfast?
(a) Throw a fit.
(b) Pretend he does not understand.
(c) Ignore shelter workers demands.
(d) Play along with this family.
3. What does Bud hope to be able to do at the library to make his home away from home seem complete?
(a) See his favorite librarian.
(b) Reserve his favorite books so they are always there.
(c) Find the book his mother used to read to him.
(d) Find a place on a shelf to sleep.
4. Who is Bud trying to find as he sets out after leaving the Amos house?
(a) A new foster family.
(b) His best friend, Jerry.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother's grave.
5. To which character does Bud flash back to during this chapter?
(a) Ms. Hill.
(b) Deza Malone.
(c) Todd Amos.
(d) Billy Burns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the metal bars on the library an example of for Bud?
2. What is Bud given to take with him?
3. What does Bugs do with Bud's suitcase?
4. Why did the new librarian think that Bud particularly liked Civil War books?
5. What does Bud wonder about in regards to his suitcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the new librarian remember about Bud and Ms. Hill's relationship?
2. What would Billy pretend and tease the other boys at the orphanage about?
3. How does Bud realize that the Amoses must have rummaged through his suitcase?
4. What information does the new librarian share with Bud and how does she treat Bud?
5. What realization does Bud come to after he sees the metal bars on the library?
6. After being stung, what does Bud insist on doing and why?
7. What does Bud dream about and what does this dream cause him to worry about?
8. Who is Deza Malone and why is this character important to Bud?
9. What do the hornets and the edgy teeth seem to be symbolic of?
10. What happens as the two boys try to get on the train and what does Bugs do about it?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)