|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had planned to kill Bruce when he was with the Motilone the first time and Bruce felt compelled to escape?
2. How many people die during the epidemic in Chapter 22?
3. What does Bruce say when the Minister of Health says that Gloria cannot fulfill her year of medical service in Tibu?
4. What parable from the Bible has to be adapted because of Motilone culture?
5. Who called to Bobby and asked him to come to shore when he was on his way home in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Motilone legend of the man who became an ant?
2. Why do the Motilone not shoot any man or animal who is about to die a natural death?
3. Why is it strange that when the Motilones go to tell the Yukos about Jesus, the Yukos understand them?
4. How does Bruce get money to pay for drugs for a measles epidemic?
5. What do the Motilones do during an average day?
6. Why is everyone afraid when the tiger speaks?
7. What game do the Yuko play that would upset the Motilones?
8. What do Bobby and Bruchko have to do when they are translating Philippians?
9. How does Bruce persuade the Motilones to use disinfectants?
10. How does Bruce discover that the Motilone language is a tonal language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is a special thing to the Motilone to walk the trail with someone. Explain what the Motilone mean when they refer to walking the trail and what it means to walk the trail with Jesus. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Bruce had wanted to be a linguistics professor. Explain how Bruce's gift for languages and linguistics training helped in South America. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the Motilone and Yuko Indians before and after they became Christians.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)