|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Bruce flying to in South America when he leaves the United States to go to South America the first time?
2. What is the first food that Bruce is given when he is taken to the Motilone communal home?
3. Where does Bruce decide to go when Rafael goes back the university?
4. Where does Bruce stay his first night in South America?
5. How long does Bruce stay in the Indian village in the Andes before he tries to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce learn about the Motilones?
2. What does Bruce wonder about missionary work when he stays with the Indians after Dr. Christian leaves?
3. Why is Bruce's father so apprehensive about his attendance at the Lange's church?
4. What happens when Bruce tries to leave the village of the Yuko Indians after staying there four months?
5. How does Bruce describe the missionary, Mr. Rayburn.
6. How does Bruce receive an invitation to live with a Colombian family in Puerto Ayacucho?
7. Why is it two-faced for the settlers to be bothering the Motilones?
8. What does Kent say when Bruce tells him he has been "called" to be a missionary?
9. What does Bruce like and dislike about the Old Testament of the Bible?
10. What does Bruce bring into the jungle when he comes back from Bogota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, explain why Bruce believes in providence, or that everything that happens to him, good or bad, is direct guidance from God. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When Bobby says "I don't care whether I live or whether I die, I want to be like Jesus," he is referring to the Philippians 1:21 which says, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Explain what that verse means to Bobby and Bruce and how it affected the way the two men lived their lives. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Bruce and the Motilone, after they become Christians, believe in miracles. Use examples from the book to support your explanations.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)