|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, as Bruce learns later, are the Indians so upset when they returned to their village and find Bruce there?
2. On how many acres are cattle grazing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. Who is Bruce's best friend growing up?
4. Where does Bruce stay while Dr. Christian travels on to other Indian villages?
5. Why is Bruce passing blood every morning when he stays in the Indian village in the Andes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Motilone like who seems to protect Bruce when he is in the Motilone communal house?
2. What does Bruce like and dislike about the Old Testament of the Bible?
3. What finally makes him decide to go to Motilone territory?
4. What do Bobby, Ayaboquina, and Bruce Olson decide to do after Humberto Abril threatened them?
5. What does Bruce bring into the jungle when he comes back from Bogota?
6. How does Bruce persuade a Yuko Indian to agree to take him to the Motilones?
7. How does Bruce describe the missionary, Mr. Rayburn.
8. What happens when Bobby, Ayaboquina, and Bruce Olson are talking in a jungle clearing at the top of a bluff?
9. What problem does Bruce have to deal with late one night after he headed home from the Lange's church?
10. What happens when Bruce tries to leave the village of the Yuko Indians after staying there four months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bobby says "I don't care whether I live or whether I die, I want to be like Jesus," he is referring to the Philippians 1:21 which says, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Explain what that verse means to Bobby and Bruce and how it affected the way the two men lived their lives. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Bruce wonders if Christianity can be separate from culture. Using Bruce's arguments from the book, argue whether Bruce believes that people can become Christians without abandoning their culture.
Essay Topic 3
In Motilone, the word for faith means to be tied into Jesus. Using examples from the book, explain what Bruce and the Motilone believe it means to be tied into Jesus.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)