|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the mission board located that Bruce applied to?
2. What shape is the Motilone communal home?
3. What happens one night when Bruce starts for home late after an evening service at the interdenominational church?
4. How long does Bruce stay with the Indians before Dr. Christian returns?
5. How long does it take before the Motilone take Bruce's gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bruce tries to share his belief in Jesus with the boys at the Lutheran youth group?
2. Why do responsible Latin families not allow a young person like Bruce to be alone?
3. Describe Mr. Rayburn's presentation at the interdenominational church that Bruce attends.
4. What does Bruce like and dislike about the Old Testament of the Bible?
5. What is the Motilone like who seems to protect Bruce when he is in the Motilone communal house?
6. In Chapter 8, what happened after Bruce works with an Indian for two hours trying to learn the language?
7. How does Bruce receive an invitation to live with a Colombian family in Puerto Ayacucho?
8. What problem does Bruce have to deal with late one night after he headed home from the Lange's church?
9. How did the climate and landscape change when Bruce and the Yuko Indians travel to find the Motilone?
10. What happens when Bobby, Ayaboquina, and Bruce Olson are talking in a jungle clearing at the top of a bluff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Bruce quotes Psalm 23:5. Explain what that verse means to Bruce and whether he believes the verse literally or symbolically using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Bruce wonders if Christianity can be separate from culture. Using Bruce's arguments from the book, argue whether Bruce believes that people can become Christians without abandoning their culture.
Essay Topic 3
In Motilone, the word for faith means to be tied into Jesus. Using examples from the book, explain what Bruce and the Motilone believe it means to be tied into Jesus.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)