|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing that bothers him about leaving the village?
(a) Not having a torch to carry.
(b) That Simon will come after him again.
(c) His concern for Leah.
(d) The fear that Rosh will send him away.
2. What stirs up Daniel's hatred while Jesus is speaking to the crowd?
(a) The noise that makes it hard to hear.
(b) The sight of a Roman cross being carried by.
(c) The smell of the rough crowd.
(d) Two Roman soldiers who walk up to listen.
3. What does Simon suggest after the grandmother dies?
(a) That Daniel take over his blacksmith shop in Ketzah.
(b) That Daniel get a job as tax collector.
(c) That Daniel find someone to take care of Leah.
(d) That Daniel come with him to follow the carpenter.
4. Where are Joel and Thacia keeping Daniel?
(a) In a shed in the garden.
(b) In Joel's closet.
(c) In a small passageway out in the store room.
(d) In the small room at the top of the house.
5. How does Daniel finally get back to the cave?
(a) Samson is waiting for him and carries him to the cave.
(b) Rosh sends out a patrol to find him.
(c) He rests at the foot of the mountain and continues the next morning.
(d) The sight of Roman soldiers in the valley below make him hurry on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Simon give Daniel before leaving him in charge of the shop?
2. Why can Daniel not get the parts he needs from Simon?
3. How does Joel persuade Rosh to let him go.
4. Why does Rosh tell Joel he cannot leave after they meet?
5. What is Daniel's problem with the Jewish merchants in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is odd about the young Roman soldier who keeps showing up at the blacksmith shop?
2. What happens when Malthace sees Daniel back at her door?
3. Describe the grandmother's house.
4. When Daniel recognizes Joel and Thacia, how does he feel about them?
5. While Daniel is recuperating in Joel's house, how does his relationship with Malthace change?
6. What is Rosh's reaction to finding Joel there after the ambush?
7. How does Daniel begin to feel trapped?
8. Why do the village men prevent Daniel from yelling curses at the Roman soldiers coming through the town.
9. The grandmother's house is about to fall down. Where do Daniel and Leah go to live?
10. What troubles Daniel about robbing the old man who pretends he is a begger?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)