|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Daniel have to go down to the village?
(a) Rosh wants him to go find new recruits.
(b) He does not have the parts he needs to make Rosh's repairs.
(c) He gets another message from Simon.
(d) He needs to check on his grandmother and sister.
2. What two things make Daniel wait after knocking the old man unconscious?
(a) He might hold the old man for ransom or steal his clothes.
(b) The old man may die if Daniel does not help him, and Daniel is sorry he attacked the man.
(c) The old man may have more gold and Daniel may have to kill him.
(d) The old man is a Jew and he is old and unarmed.
3. Why does Daniel not like Nathan at first?
(a) He learns that his father is a tax collector the the Romans.
(b) The boy is rude.
(c) The boy brags too much.
(d) The boy tries to look into the house to see Leah.
4. What does Daniel decide to do that night?
(a) To go to Capernaum to find Joel.
(b) To buy Simon's blacksmith shop.
(c) To return to the mountain.
(d) To kill his first Roman.
5. What stirs Leah out of the corner during the night?
(a) The small fire Daniel lights.
(b) Daniel telling stories of their childhood.
(c) A snake that drops from the ceiling.
(d) A rat that comes for the bread.
6. Who comes to the blacksmith shop to have a scythe repaired?
(c) A Roman soldier.
7. As Daniel is recovering, Joel reads to him from what book?
8. What stirs up Daniel's hatred while Jesus is speaking to the crowd?
(a) The noise that makes it hard to hear.
(b) The sight of a Roman cross being carried by.
(c) The smell of the rough crowd.
(d) Two Roman soldiers who walk up to listen.
9. Where is Daniel from?
10. What does Joel tell Daniel about Rosh?
(a) That every school boy thinks he is a hero.
(b) That all the school boys know his name.
(c) That Rosh came to recruit at his school.
(d) That Rosh gives money to schools and synagogues.
11. Why did Daniel run away from Ketzah in the first place?
(a) His girlfriend married another man.
(b) His master beat him every day.
(c) His grandmother threw him out of her house.
(d) He threw stones at Roman soldiers and they were looking for him.
12. What is Daniel like as he enters Capernaum?
(a) He is like a child who is lost and cannot find his mother.
(b) He is like a thief, hiding in the shadows.
(c) He is like a young prince who belongs in the city.
(d) He is like a tourist who has never been to the city before.
13. What holds Joel back from staying on the mountain with Daniel?
(a) He is afraid of his father.
(b) His responsibilities to his family.
(c) He has to take his sister back down the mountain.
(d) He forgot to bring along extra clothes.
14. How does Joel persuade Rosh to let him go.
(a) He could be a good spy for Rosh in the village.
(b) His family is moving to Capernaum.
(c) He will leave his sister there.
(d) Nobody ever believes anything he says.
15. What does Daniel see that disgusts him as he returns to his grandmother's house?
(a) The squalor of the village.
(b) The lights of the windows.
(c) The dust his feet kicks up.
(d) The moon reflecting off the roofs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon bring for Daniel?
2. What embarrasses Daniel during the meal at Joel's house?
3. What does Daniel reflect on about Rosh's business?
4. Of what does Rosh accuse Daniel?
5. What name do they give the black man?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)