|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daniel recite to Leah and his grandmother just before she dies?
(a) Some his own poetry.
(b) The twenty-third psalm.
(c) The passage he learned from Joel.
(d) The sermon he heard the carpenter speak.
2. What does Daniel tell Joel everyone will know one day?
(a) The way to the top of the mountain.
(b) Jesus' plan for the new kingdom.
(c) Rosh's name.
(d) How to kill Romans.
3. What does Joel tell Daniel about Rosh?
(a) That Rosh gives money to schools and synagogues.
(b) That all the school boys know his name.
(c) That Rosh came to recruit at his school.
(d) That every school boy thinks he is a hero.
4. What makes Daniel return to Ketzah?
(a) His grandmother is dying.
(b) Leah has run away.
(c) His grandmother's house burned to the ground.
(d) Rosh drives him away.
5. Does listening to Jesus speak have any affect on Daniel?
(a) None whatsoever.
(b) Only for a brief moment.
(c) It changes his life.
(d) It makes him question Rosh.
6. What stirs Leah out of the corner during the night?
(a) A snake that drops from the ceiling.
(b) Daniel telling stories of their childhood.
(c) The small fire Daniel lights.
(d) A rat that comes for the bread.
7. What killed Daniel's mother?
(a) She went on a hunger strike and died.
(b) She hanged herself from a tree.
(c) A Roman soldier ran her through with his spear.
(d) She spent three days and nights in the cold at his father's grave and got sick.
8. When she comes to the door, how does Thacia react to Daniel?
(a) She begs him to leave and never return.
(b) She faints.
(c) She welcomes him and gives him a drink.
(d) She takes him to a place to wait for Joel.
9. What is Simon's message for Daniel?
(a) The grandmother's house has fallen down.
(b) Daniel's grandmother is dead.
(c) Amelek is dead and Daniel can return to the village.
(d) Daniel's sister will not stop crying for her brother.
10. What is the symbolism of Daniel beating the flaws out of the hot metal at his anvil?
(a) He is trying to remove what he sees as flaws in himself.
(b) It symbolizes what he would like to do to Rosh.
(c) He is keeping busy so he doesn't have to think.
(d) It symbolizes what he would like to do to a Roman soldier.
11. What does Daniel think regarding his relationship to Joel?
(a) That Joel will never leave his luxury.
(b) That Joel is too snobby for him.
(c) That he has never had a real friend before.
(d) That Joel does not see the Romans the same way he does.
12. What warning does Simon give Daniel before leaving him in charge of the shop?
(a) He must keep in touch with Rosh.
(b) He must be careful to pay his taxes on time.
(c) He must be civil to the Romans for the sake of the entire village.
(d) He must never be seen doing any work for the Romans.
13. What name do they give the black man?
(b) Black hulk.
14. How long does Daniel live on the mountain before meeting Joel and Malthace?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) One week.
(d) Two years.
15. The grandmother's house is falling down. Where do Leah and Daniel go to live?
(a) With relatives who live next to the blacksmith shop.
(b) Simon's house that is attached to his blacksmith shop.
(c) In the garden behind the blacksmith shop.
(d) In a tent Daniel puts up near the blacksmith shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things make Daniel wait after knocking the old man unconscious?
2. What is Daniel's complaint against his countrymen?
3. Why does Rosh tell Joel he cannot leave after they meet?
4. Why did Daniel run away from Ketzah in the first place?
5. Why does Simon say they have to wash in the pool on the way to the village?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)