|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booker ask?
2. Who else arrives at the clearing?
3. How does Booker make Sue give up resistance?
4. When Sue looks at her wounded son, what does she wish?
5. As Sue regains consciousness, what does she hear?
Essay Topic 1
As the crowbar breaks his legs, Johnny-Boy turns his face away from his mother. A few moments later, he turns back to her and asks her to leave.
1. Why do you think Johnny-Boy turned his face away from his mother?
2. Why do you think Johnny-Boy asks Sue to leave?
3. Do you think Sue should have done as her son asked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sue senses that this will be the last opportunity she will have to spend time with her son, she says "to see him now was to say good-bye. But it was a good-bye she knew she could never say; they were not that way toward each other." From this, we can surmise that, while Sue may not outwardly demonstrate her love for her son, it nonetheless exists.
1. Why do you think Sue and her son are unable to demonstrate their love for each other? Use examples from your experience or knowledge to support your answer.
2. How does your family express love to each other? Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is better that family members show their love for each other or is it too difficult to do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The sheriff then asks Sue where the meeting is supposed to be held. Sue refuses to tell them and so the sheriff once again threatens to kill Johnny-Boy. Despite the fact that she knows her son will almost certainly die, Sue is proud of her defiance, pride and strength.
1. Would you agree that what Sue did was an act of pride and strength? Why or why not?
2. How far would you be willing to go to protect people if you belonged to a group that was against the law? Explain what you would do and why you would chose it.
3. Do you think that Sue being willing to let them kill her son to protect his comrades is the sign of a bad mother? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,172 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)