|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Booker learn the names of the party member?
2. What is Sue certain her son will not do?
3. How does Sue feel about accepting Booker's help?
4. What does Sue need to do?
5. From what is Sue freed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sue says that she told Johnny-Boy what Reva had said earlier, Reva seems pleased and tells Sue that she knew everything would turn out fine. Hearing Reva's exuberance proves to be too much for Sue and she finds herself near tears. However, she also knows that she must remain strong for the young woman's sake and so she remains stoic.
1. Why do you think Sue believes she has to remain stoic?
2. Explain, using examples from the story the meaning of stoic.
3. Do you think it would be better for Sue to be honest with Reva? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sue spends the next several hours huddled over her stove contemplating all that has happened. She knows that she will likely never see either of her sons again.
1. Would you consider this a foreshadow? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that Sue's feelings about her son are justified or is it imagination due to a mother's fear? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that most parents worry that something will happen to their child whenever a child leaves the home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Sue tells one of the men that she is sure her son will eventually be killed, the man tells her that his life can be spared if he gives them the names of his comrades. Sue replies that she knows her son will not do this and so she is prepared for his death.
1. How did you respond to Sue's handling of this part of the situation?
2. Do you think this behavior on Sue's part is realistic in the real world? Why or why not?
3. If your child's life was at stake what would you do in Sue's position?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)