Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booker ask?
2. What is the name of the person standing over her?
3. Who do the men decide to kill?
4. Where does Booker say the Sheriff is?
5. Where does Sue huddle?
Sue realizes that she does not fully subscribe to her sons' Communist beliefs, she knows that the Party is extremely important to them.
1. Communism as an ideal seems to be a just and compassionate system of government. The reality is far from the ideal. Why do you think that is true?
2. Do you think that everyone should have access to benefits such as food, clothing, shelter and health care, whether rich or poor? Why or why not?
3. After doing some research of the McCarthy era in America, do you think the U.S. government had the right to persecute people who believed communism was a good system for a society? Why or why not?
When Sue tells one of the men that she is sure her son will eventually be killed, the man tells her that his life can be spared if he gives them the names of his comrades. Sue replies that she knows her son will not do this and so she is prepared for his death.
1. How did you respond to Sue's handling of this part of the situation?
2. Do you think this behavior on Sue's part is realistic in the real world? Why or why not?
3. If your child's life was at stake what would you do in Sue's position?
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)