|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue say when Reva asks if Johnny-Boy came home?
2. What does Sue need to do?
3. What is the name of the person standing over her?
4. How does Reva respond to Sue's comment about Johnny-Boy?
5. What does Sue's friend want to know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Before Sue leaves, she goes into Johnny-Boy's bedroom to get the gun that he keeps in his dresser drawer.
1. Do you think Sue is wrong to take a gun with her?
2. If you were in Sue's position would you have taken the gun? Why or why not?
3. Sue seems to believe the only way she can help her son is to kill Booker. Explain why you do or do not believe this is true.
Essay Topic 3
"Bright & Morning Star" is a short story that explores the complex themes of racism and the wide reaches of a mother's love for her children.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. Compare the use of themes in this text with another story that you have read this year.
3. What other themes do you think might be used in this story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)