|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Booker make Sue give up resistance?
2. What is Sue going to do?
3. What does Sue urge Reva to do?
4. How does Booker learn the names of the party member?
5. What does Sue almost do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the crowbar breaks his legs, Johnny-Boy turns his face away from his mother. A few moments later, he turns back to her and asks her to leave.
1. Why do you think Johnny-Boy turned his face away from his mother?
2. Why do you think Johnny-Boy asks Sue to leave?
3. Do you think Sue should have done as her son asked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Before Sue leaves, she goes into Johnny-Boy's bedroom to get the gun that he keeps in his dresser drawer.
1. Do you think Sue is wrong to take a gun with her?
2. If you were in Sue's position would you have taken the gun? Why or why not?
3. Sue seems to believe the only way she can help her son is to kill Booker. Explain why you do or do not believe this is true.
Essay Topic 3
Sue senses that this will be the last opportunity she will have to spend time with her son, she says "to see him now was to say good-bye. But it was a good-bye she knew she could never say; they were not that way toward each other." From this, we can surmise that, while Sue may not outwardly demonstrate her love for her son, it nonetheless exists.
1. Why do you think Sue and her son are unable to demonstrate their love for each other? Use examples from your experience or knowledge to support your answer.
2. How does your family express love to each other? Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is better that family members show their love for each other or is it too difficult to do? Why or why not?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)