|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booker ask?
2. What is the name of the person standing over her?
3. Who do the men decide to kill?
4. Where does Booker say the Sheriff is?
5. Where does Sue huddle?
Essay Topic 1
Sue's life thus far has been punctuated by untimely losses; the tragic death of her mother, the untimely death of her husband and Sug's recent incarceration have all combined to essentially strip away everyone that is important to her, except Johnny-Boy.
1. What do you think would be the normal reaction to so much loss in life? Use examples support your answer.
2. Thinking about your life, your parents, siblings and friends, how would your life change if you had lost at least three of those people?
3. Discuss a death you have had in your life or in the life of someone you know.
Essay Topic 2
When Sue tells one of the men that she is sure her son will eventually be killed, the man tells her that his life can be spared if he gives them the names of his comrades. Sue replies that she knows her son will not do this and so she is prepared for his death.
1. How did you respond to Sue's handling of this part of the situation?
2. Do you think this behavior on Sue's part is realistic in the real world? Why or why not?
3. If your child's life was at stake what would you do in Sue's position?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,137 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)