|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sue feel the way she does about Booker's offer?
2. About what is Sue certain?
3. Who interrupts Sue's thoughts?
4. What is the name of the person standing over her?
5. Who does Sue want to reach before Booker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue's life thus far has been punctuated by untimely losses; the tragic death of her mother, the untimely death of her husband and Sug's recent incarceration have all combined to essentially strip away everyone that is important to her, except Johnny-Boy.
1. What do you think would be the normal reaction to so much loss in life? Use examples support your answer.
2. Thinking about your life, your parents, siblings and friends, how would your life change if you had lost at least three of those people?
3. Discuss a death you have had in your life or in the life of someone you know.
Essay Topic 2
As we have suspected from nearly the beginning of the story, Johnny-Boy is killed. The death of Sue, on the other hand, comes as a bit of a surprise.
1. Were you surprised when Sue was killed? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Sue's death was foreshadowed in the story? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Do you think the death of Sue and her son could have happened in the present time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)