|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reva respond to Sue's comment about Johnny-Boy?
2. Who do the men decide to kill?
3. Who does Sue want to reach before Booker?
4. Why does Sue want to wait for Booker?
5. Who else arrives at the clearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the crowbar breaks his legs, Johnny-Boy turns his face away from his mother. A few moments later, he turns back to her and asks her to leave.
1. Why do you think Johnny-Boy turned his face away from his mother?
2. Why do you think Johnny-Boy asks Sue to leave?
3. Do you think Sue should have done as her son asked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this section, we also see Sue handle the first of many decisions she will need to make during this story. Recall how, when deciding to tell Johnny-Boy about the potential for trouble, Sue decides to first wait until he has had his dinner and then delays even further by waiting until he has had a chance to rest.
1. Do you think Sue has a difficult time making decisions? Why or why not?
2. If you were in Sue's position, would you have handled the situation with Johnny-Boy the same way? If not, how would you have done it? If so, why?
3. Do you think procrastinating about almost any decision is a way of making a decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)