|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue become aware of in the clearing?
2. How do they break Johnny-Boy's knees?
3. What does the Sheriff threaten to do if Sue does not talk to her son?
4. Of what is Sue fairly sure?
5. What does Sue's friend want to know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As we have suspected from nearly the beginning of the story, Johnny-Boy is killed. The death of Sue, on the other hand, comes as a bit of a surprise.
1. Were you surprised when Sue was killed? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Sue's death was foreshadowed in the story? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Do you think the death of Sue and her son could have happened in the present time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Before Sue leaves, she goes into Johnny-Boy's bedroom to get the gun that he keeps in his dresser drawer.
1. Do you think Sue is wrong to take a gun with her?
2. If you were in Sue's position would you have taken the gun? Why or why not?
3. Sue seems to believe the only way she can help her son is to kill Booker. Explain why you do or do not believe this is true.
Essay Topic 3
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,187 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)