|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sue feel the way she does about Booker's offer?
2. When Sue looks at her wounded son, what does she wish?
3. How long does she contemplate things?
4. Who do the men decide to kill?
5. What does the Sheriff ask Sue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue senses that this will be the last opportunity she will have to spend time with her son, she says "to see him now was to say good-bye. But it was a good-bye she knew she could never say; they were not that way toward each other." From this, we can surmise that, while Sue may not outwardly demonstrate her love for her son, it nonetheless exists.
1. Why do you think Sue and her son are unable to demonstrate their love for each other? Use examples from your experience or knowledge to support your answer.
2. How does your family express love to each other? Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is better that family members show their love for each other or is it too difficult to do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this section, we also see Sue handle the first of many decisions she will need to make during this story. Recall how, when deciding to tell Johnny-Boy about the potential for trouble, Sue decides to first wait until he has had his dinner and then delays even further by waiting until he has had a chance to rest.
1. Do you think Sue has a difficult time making decisions? Why or why not?
2. If you were in Sue's position, would you have handled the situation with Johnny-Boy the same way? If not, how would you have done it? If so, why?
3. Do you think procrastinating about almost any decision is a way of making a decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As the crowbar breaks his legs, Johnny-Boy turns his face away from his mother. A few moments later, he turns back to her and asks her to leave.
1. Why do you think Johnny-Boy turned his face away from his mother?
2. Why do you think Johnny-Boy asks Sue to leave?
3. Do you think Sue should have done as her son asked? Why or why not?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)