|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sue thinking about when she is alone in the kitchen?
2. What does Sue learn?
3. What is ironic about Sue's encounter with Booker versus that with the Sheriff?
4. What does Sue tell her friend?
5. What does Sue want to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
We also see that, despite her son's beliefs, Sue still feels a great deal of hate and distrust with respect to white people.
1. Do you think Sue's feelings towards white people are justified?
2. Some people call the idea of minorities hating the majority "reverse prejudice." What do you think this means and do you believe it exist?
Essay Topic 3
The sheriff then asks Sue where the meeting is supposed to be held. Sue refuses to tell them and so the sheriff once again threatens to kill Johnny-Boy. Despite the fact that she knows her son will almost certainly die, Sue is proud of her defiance, pride and strength.
1. Would you agree that what Sue did was an act of pride and strength? Why or why not?
2. How far would you be willing to go to protect people if you belonged to a group that was against the law? Explain what you would do and why you would chose it.
3. Do you think that Sue being willing to let them kill her son to protect his comrades is the sign of a bad mother? Why or why not?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)