|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue almost do?
2. What is immediately noticeable about Sue?
3. How does Booker learn the names of the party member?
4. Who does Sue want to reach before Booker?
5. How does Booker make Sue give up resistance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sue's life thus far has been punctuated by untimely losses; the tragic death of her mother, the untimely death of her husband and Sug's recent incarceration have all combined to essentially strip away everyone that is important to her, except Johnny-Boy.
1. What do you think would be the normal reaction to so much loss in life? Use examples support your answer.
2. Thinking about your life, your parents, siblings and friends, how would your life change if you had lost at least three of those people?
3. Discuss a death you have had in your life or in the life of someone you know.
Essay Topic 3
The sheriff then asks Sue where the meeting is supposed to be held. Sue refuses to tell them and so the sheriff once again threatens to kill Johnny-Boy. Despite the fact that she knows her son will almost certainly die, Sue is proud of her defiance, pride and strength.
1. Would you agree that what Sue did was an act of pride and strength? Why or why not?
2. How far would you be willing to go to protect people if you belonged to a group that was against the law? Explain what you would do and why you would chose it.
3. Do you think that Sue being willing to let them kill her son to protect his comrades is the sign of a bad mother? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,176 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)