|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Sue from killing anyone else after the first shot(s)?
2. What does Sue's friend want to know?
3. What does Booker offer to do?
4. What does Sue think is likely?
5. What is immediately noticeable about Sue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another character we meet in this section is a young woman named Reva. We don't learn very much about her here or in the rest of the story, only that she is white and in love with Johnny-Boy.
1. How do you think a relationship between a African American man and white woman would have caused problems in the era in which this story takes place?
2. Do you think that inter-racial relationships are more accepted today than when this story took place? Why or why not?
3. With some research find a true incident in history of a African American man and white woman marriage and what happened in their lives.
Essay Topic 2
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life. It also serves to create an ominous feeling that almost instantly gives the reader a sense that the story is not going to have a good outcome.
1. When you read the description of the weather at the beginning of the story did you have a sense of what the end might hold? Explain why or why not.
2. Do you think the weather was a type of foreshadowing? Why or why not?
3. Explain an ending to the story you might have expected if the beginning of the story had taken place on a warm, sunny day.
Essay Topic 3
Sue realizes that she does not fully subscribe to her sons' Communist beliefs, she knows that the Party is extremely important to them.
1. Communism as an ideal seems to be a just and compassionate system of government. The reality is far from the ideal. Why do you think that is true?
2. Do you think that everyone should have access to benefits such as food, clothing, shelter and health care, whether rich or poor? Why or why not?
3. After doing some research of the McCarthy era in America, do you think the U.S. government had the right to persecute people who believed communism was a good system for a society? Why or why not?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)