|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue tell the men the reason is for her being there?
2. What can't Sue do what she wishes for her son?
3. What race is the person standing over her?
4. Of what is Sue fairly sure?
5. What does Sue see after she crosses the creek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
We also see that, despite her son's beliefs, Sue still feels a great deal of hate and distrust with respect to white people.
1. Do you think Sue's feelings towards white people are justified?
2. Some people call the idea of minorities hating the majority "reverse prejudice." What do you think this means and do you believe it exist?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life. It also serves to create an ominous feeling that almost instantly gives the reader a sense that the story is not going to have a good outcome.
1. When you read the description of the weather at the beginning of the story did you have a sense of what the end might hold? Explain why or why not.
2. Do you think the weather was a type of foreshadowing? Why or why not?
3. Explain an ending to the story you might have expected if the beginning of the story had taken place on a warm, sunny day.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)