|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sue certain her son will not do?
2. What are they planing to do to Johnny-Boy?
3. Who do the men decide to kill?
4. What does Booker need in order to do what he offers to do?
5. What does Sue see after she crosses the creek?
Essay Topic 1
Sue's life thus far has been punctuated by untimely losses; the tragic death of her mother, the untimely death of her husband and Sug's recent incarceration have all combined to essentially strip away everyone that is important to her, except Johnny-Boy.
1. What do you think would be the normal reaction to so much loss in life? Use examples support your answer.
2. Thinking about your life, your parents, siblings and friends, how would your life change if you had lost at least three of those people?
3. Discuss a death you have had in your life or in the life of someone you know.
Essay Topic 2
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life. It also serves to create an ominous feeling that almost instantly gives the reader a sense that the story is not going to have a good outcome.
1. When you read the description of the weather at the beginning of the story did you have a sense of what the end might hold? Explain why or why not.
2. Do you think the weather was a type of foreshadowing? Why or why not?
3. Explain an ending to the story you might have expected if the beginning of the story had taken place on a warm, sunny day.
Essay Topic 3
Sue spends the next several hours huddled over her stove contemplating all that has happened. She knows that she will likely never see either of her sons again.
1. Would you consider this a foreshadow? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that Sue's feelings about her son are justified or is it imagination due to a mother's fear? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that most parents worry that something will happen to their child whenever a child leaves the home? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,192 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)