|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Booker?
2. What does Sue want to do?
3. How does Reva think things will turn out?
4. What does Sue hide inside the sheet?
5. When is the meeting scheduled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the crowbar breaks his legs, Johnny-Boy turns his face away from his mother. A few moments later, he turns back to her and asks her to leave.
1. Why do you think Johnny-Boy turned his face away from his mother?
2. Why do you think Johnny-Boy asks Sue to leave?
3. Do you think Sue should have done as her son asked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The sheriff then asks Sue where the meeting is supposed to be held. Sue refuses to tell them and so the sheriff once again threatens to kill Johnny-Boy. Despite the fact that she knows her son will almost certainly die, Sue is proud of her defiance, pride and strength.
1. Would you agree that what Sue did was an act of pride and strength? Why or why not?
2. How far would you be willing to go to protect people if you belonged to a group that was against the law? Explain what you would do and why you would chose it.
3. Do you think that Sue being willing to let them kill her son to protect his comrades is the sign of a bad mother? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While it may seem inconceivable for a mother to stand by and watch her son be tortured, Sue knows that the emotional pain her son would feel if the other members of the party were seized would be far greater. And so, out of love for her son, she stands quietly by and does not respond to the sheriff's demands.
1. Do you think Sue was right or wrong to worry about her son's emotional pain? Why or why not?
2. How does Sue demonstrate her strength as she stands by while her son is tortured?
3. Do you think you could have done what Sue did? Why or why not?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)