|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woods where her son is?
2. When is the meeting scheduled?
3. What is one thing Sue thinks about doing?
4. What is Sue thinking about when she is alone in the kitchen?
5. In this chapter, several things are foreshadowed, a term that means...?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Bright & Morning Star" is a short story that explores the complex themes of racism and the wide reaches of a mother's love for her children.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. Compare the use of themes in this text with another story that you have read this year.
3. What other themes do you think might be used in this story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
We also see that, despite her son's beliefs, Sue still feels a great deal of hate and distrust with respect to white people.
1. Do you think Sue's feelings towards white people are justified?
2. Some people call the idea of minorities hating the majority "reverse prejudice." What do you think this means and do you believe it exist?
Essay Topic 3
When Sue tells one of the men that she is sure her son will eventually be killed, the man tells her that his life can be spared if he gives them the names of his comrades. Sue replies that she knows her son will not do this and so she is prepared for his death.
1. How did you respond to Sue's handling of this part of the situation?
2. Do you think this behavior on Sue's part is realistic in the real world? Why or why not?
3. If your child's life was at stake what would you do in Sue's position?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)