|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue tell her friend?
2. What is ironic about Sue's encounter with Booker versus that with the Sheriff?
3. How does Booker learn the names of the party member?
4. What is likely to happen if people show up at the meeting?
5. What does Reva ask about Johnny-Boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life. It also serves to create an ominous feeling that almost instantly gives the reader a sense that the story is not going to have a good outcome.
1. When you read the description of the weather at the beginning of the story did you have a sense of what the end might hold? Explain why or why not.
2. Do you think the weather was a type of foreshadowing? Why or why not?
3. Explain an ending to the story you might have expected if the beginning of the story had taken place on a warm, sunny day.
Essay Topic 2
As we have suspected from nearly the beginning of the story, Johnny-Boy is killed. The death of Sue, on the other hand, comes as a bit of a surprise.
1. Were you surprised when Sue was killed? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Sue's death was foreshadowed in the story? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Do you think the death of Sue and her son could have happened in the present time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Sue says that she told Johnny-Boy what Reva had said earlier, Reva seems pleased and tells Sue that she knew everything would turn out fine. Hearing Reva's exuberance proves to be too much for Sue and she finds herself near tears. However, she also knows that she must remain strong for the young woman's sake and so she remains stoic.
1. Why do you think Sue believes she has to remain stoic?
2. Explain, using examples from the story the meaning of stoic.
3. Do you think it would be better for Sue to be honest with Reva? Why or why not?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)