|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Sheriff lead Sue?
2. Of what is Sue fairly sure?
3. What does Sue almost do?
4. What probably sustains Sue?
5. What does Sue see after she crosses the creek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We see another example of the conflict that has existed within Sue during this entire story as she once again reaches out to her Christian faith to help her complete this one last act in the name of the Communist Party.
1. Why do you think communism and Christianity are mutually exclusive?
2. Why do you think most communist governments try to repress religion?
3. What do you think is the reason Sue falls back on her Christian faith even though she doesn't seem to believe in it anymore?
Essay Topic 2
When Sue says that she told Johnny-Boy what Reva had said earlier, Reva seems pleased and tells Sue that she knew everything would turn out fine. Hearing Reva's exuberance proves to be too much for Sue and she finds herself near tears. However, she also knows that she must remain strong for the young woman's sake and so she remains stoic.
1. Why do you think Sue believes she has to remain stoic?
2. Explain, using examples from the story the meaning of stoic.
3. Do you think it would be better for Sue to be honest with Reva? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sue spends the next several hours huddled over her stove contemplating all that has happened. She knows that she will likely never see either of her sons again.
1. Would you consider this a foreshadow? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that Sue's feelings about her son are justified or is it imagination due to a mother's fear? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that most parents worry that something will happen to their child whenever a child leaves the home? Why or why not?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)