|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reva respond to Sue's comment about Johnny-Boy?
2. What are they planing to do to Johnny-Boy?
3. What does Reva ask about Johnny-Boy?
4. Is giving Booker the names likely to change the outcome?
5. What does Sue retrieve there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sue says that she told Johnny-Boy what Reva had said earlier, Reva seems pleased and tells Sue that she knew everything would turn out fine. Hearing Reva's exuberance proves to be too much for Sue and she finds herself near tears. However, she also knows that she must remain strong for the young woman's sake and so she remains stoic.
1. Why do you think Sue believes she has to remain stoic?
2. Explain, using examples from the story the meaning of stoic.
3. Do you think it would be better for Sue to be honest with Reva? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The sheriff then asks Sue where the meeting is supposed to be held. Sue refuses to tell them and so the sheriff once again threatens to kill Johnny-Boy. Despite the fact that she knows her son will almost certainly die, Sue is proud of her defiance, pride and strength.
1. Would you agree that what Sue did was an act of pride and strength? Why or why not?
2. How far would you be willing to go to protect people if you belonged to a group that was against the law? Explain what you would do and why you would chose it.
3. Do you think that Sue being willing to let them kill her son to protect his comrades is the sign of a bad mother? Why or why not?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)