|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What's the first thing Sue tells Reva to do when she comes inside?
2. Why did Johnny-Boy think it was necessary to take in so many members so quickly?
3. What does Sue hear after she returns to her ironing after Reva left?
4. What is the weather like at the opening of Bright and Morning Star?
5. What does Sue do when she quits ironing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue do when she wakes with someone in her house?
2. What did Sue's mother instill in her and how was that tested?
3. What does Sue do about the admonishment from the men and what does the sheriff ask her?
4. What does the sheriff do when Sue doesn't respond to his second request?
5. What happens with Sue soon after the sheriff left?
6. Who does Sue hear coming in shortly after she finishes her ironing and what does she feel?
7. What does Sue do when she feels she wants to be alone?
8. How does Sue feel about facing down the sheriff and what does she do?
9. What does the sheriff tell Sue and how does she respond?
10. What does Sue do for several hours after the sheriff leaves?
Essay Topic 1
We see another example of the conflict that has existed within Sue during this entire story as she once again reaches out to her Christian faith to help her complete this one last act in the name of the Communist Party.
1. Why do you think communism and Christianity are mutually exclusive?
2. Why do you think most communist governments try to repress religion?
3. What do you think is the reason Sue falls back on her Christian faith even though she doesn't seem to believe in it anymore?
Essay Topic 2
Sue spends the next several hours huddled over her stove contemplating all that has happened. She knows that she will likely never see either of her sons again.
1. Would you consider this a foreshadow? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that Sue's feelings about her son are justified or is it imagination due to a mother's fear? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that most parents worry that something will happen to their child whenever a child leaves the home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sue realizes that she does not fully subscribe to her sons' Communist beliefs, she knows that the Party is extremely important to them.
1. Communism as an ideal seems to be a just and compassionate system of government. The reality is far from the ideal. Why do you think that is true?
2. Do you think that everyone should have access to benefits such as food, clothing, shelter and health care, whether rich or poor? Why or why not?
3. After doing some research of the McCarthy era in America, do you think the U.S. government had the right to persecute people who believed communism was a good system for a society? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,590 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)