|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Johnny-Boy feel when his mother keeps talking at him?
2. How does Johnny-Boy see the people he encounters?
3. Who told Sue about what happened to her son who went to jail?
4. What does Johnny-Boy do when his mother talks to him about the party?
5. What does Sue think Johnny-Boy has done wrong regarding the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reva tell Sue?
2. How does Sue react to Reva's thoughts on the situation?
3. What types of trials has Sue handled in her life thus far?
4. What does Sue realize about Johnny-Boy and his work?
5. How do the other men with the sheriff respond to what she says to him?
6. What does Sue finally decide to do?
7. What does Sue think about her sons?
8. What do Reva and Sue wonder about concerning the sheriff?
9. What does Sue do for several hours after the sheriff leaves?
10. What does Sue do about the admonishment from the men and what does the sheriff ask her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
We see another example of the conflict that has existed within Sue during this entire story as she once again reaches out to her Christian faith to help her complete this one last act in the name of the Communist Party.
1. Why do you think communism and Christianity are mutually exclusive?
2. Why do you think most communist governments try to repress religion?
3. What do you think is the reason Sue falls back on her Christian faith even though she doesn't seem to believe in it anymore?
Essay Topic 3
As the crowbar breaks his legs, Johnny-Boy turns his face away from his mother. A few moments later, he turns back to her and asks her to leave.
1. Why do you think Johnny-Boy turned his face away from his mother?
2. Why do you think Johnny-Boy asks Sue to leave?
3. Do you think Sue should have done as her son asked? Why or why not?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)