|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sue shut the door after Johnny-Boy leaves?
2. When will Sue tell Johnny-Boy the meeting needs to be called off?
3. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about Reva?
4. What does Sue repeat to the men?
5. With what does the Sheriff again threaten Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sue's mother instill in her and how was that tested?
2. What is making Sue anxious?
3. How does Sue feel and what does she tell Booker when he offers to help her?
4. How does Johnny-Boy respond to his mother's comments about his work?
5. What does Booker tell Sue about the sheriff and Johnny-Boy?
6. What do Reva and Sue wonder about concerning the sheriff?
7. What opinion does Sue express to her son about his work?
8. How does Sue feel about Booker helping her and what does she do?
9. What does Johnny-Boy tell his mother about how he sees people?
10. How does Sue see Booker when she comes to after the sheriff's beating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As we have suspected from nearly the beginning of the story, Johnny-Boy is killed. The death of Sue, on the other hand, comes as a bit of a surprise.
1. Were you surprised when Sue was killed? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Sue's death was foreshadowed in the story? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Do you think the death of Sue and her son could have happened in the present time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Bright & Morning Star" is a short story that explores the complex themes of racism and the wide reaches of a mother's love for her children.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. Compare the use of themes in this text with another story that you have read this year.
3. What other themes do you think might be used in this story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)