|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sue feel about people who tried to destroy the Party?
2. Who does Sue think is responsible for telling the sheriff about the meeting?
3. What does Sue do after the answer to question #72?
4. What does Sue do when Reva leaves?
5. What does Sue feel strongly about Johnny-Boy while Reva is there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Sue soon after the sheriff left?
2. How does Sue respond to Johnny-Boy's defense?
3. What does Johnny-Boy do when he arrives home?
4. What kind of work does Sue start to do after looking out the window? What does she wish for as she works?
5. What is making Sue anxious?
6. What does the sheriff tell Sue and how does she respond?
7. What did Sue's mother instill in her and how was that tested?
8. What does Sue first think she should do?
9. What does Booker tell Sue about the sheriff and Johnny-Boy?
10. What is the first thing the men do to Johnny-Boy after Sue arrives and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before Sue leaves, she goes into Johnny-Boy's bedroom to get the gun that he keeps in his dresser drawer.
1. Do you think Sue is wrong to take a gun with her?
2. If you were in Sue's position would you have taken the gun? Why or why not?
3. Sue seems to believe the only way she can help her son is to kill Booker. Explain why you do or do not believe this is true.
Essay Topic 2
When Sue wakes up with the realization that someone is in her house she goes to the kitchen. The sheriff approaches and tells Sue that he is there to help her.
1. Given the era and setting of this story do you think it is likely the sheriff is telling the truth? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. Do you think that most officers of the law are honest, good people? Why or why not? Use examples from your life or knowledge to support your answer.
3. If you woke in the middle of the night and people were in your house, what would you do? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)