|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sue begin to think the Communist Party's beginnings were like?
2. What does the word 'reiterate' mean?
3. What does Sue think the person in her house wants?
4. What do the people do when Sue speaks to them?
5. Even after joining the Communists, in what did Sue find comfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue do when she wakes with someone in her house?
2. What happens to Sue first in the kitchen when she confronts who is in her house?
3. What is Sue doing when she realizes someone is in her house and what does she know about it?
4. What does Booker tell Sue about the sheriff and Johnny-Boy?
5. What did Sue's mother instill in her and how was that tested?
6. Of what is Sue certain after she hears what Booker says about the sheriff?
7. What does Sue first think she should do?
8. What does Booker tell Sue as she struggles to her feet?
9. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about Reva?
10. What does Sue do when her son falls asleep and what does she decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue spends the next several hours huddled over her stove contemplating all that has happened. She knows that she will likely never see either of her sons again.
1. Would you consider this a foreshadow? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that Sue's feelings about her son are justified or is it imagination due to a mother's fear? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that most parents worry that something will happen to their child whenever a child leaves the home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this section, we also see Sue handle the first of many decisions she will need to make during this story. Recall how, when deciding to tell Johnny-Boy about the potential for trouble, Sue decides to first wait until he has had his dinner and then delays even further by waiting until he has had a chance to rest.
1. Do you think Sue has a difficult time making decisions? Why or why not?
2. If you were in Sue's position, would you have handled the situation with Johnny-Boy the same way? If not, how would you have done it? If so, why?
3. Do you think procrastinating about almost any decision is a way of making a decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)