|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do you think Johnny-Boy feels about his mother?
2. When does Sue shut the door after Johnny-Boy leaves?
3. After Sue is on the floor again, what does the Sheriff do?
4. When is Johnny-Boy happiest?
5. What do the people do when Sue speaks to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue feel and what does she tell Booker when he offers to help her?
2. What does Sue resolve to do as they take her to the sheriff?
3. What does the sheriff ask Sue and what is her reply? What does the sheriff do after she replies to him?
4. What is Sue told when she said she'd come for Johnny-Boy's body? How does she respond?
5. What is Sue asked as she rises to her feet?
6. How does Sue respond to Johnny-Boy's defense?
7. What does the sheriff tell Sue and how does she respond?
8. What do the men do after Sue shoots her gun and how does she feel in the end?
9. What does Booker tell Sue about the sheriff and Johnny-Boy?
10. What does Sue do after she finishes her ironing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Bright & Morning Star" is a short story that explores the complex themes of racism and the wide reaches of a mother's love for her children.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. Compare the use of themes in this text with another story that you have read this year.
3. What other themes do you think might be used in this story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)