|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sue taunt the Sheriff?
2. What does Sue do when Johnny-Boy dozes off?
3. What seemed to continually test Sue's faith?
4. What does Sue think the person in her house wants?
5. What does Sue tell the Sheriff about the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sheriff ask Sue and what is her reply? What does the sheriff do after she replies to him?
2. How does Sue see Booker when she comes to after the sheriff's beating?
3. What does Sue do about the admonishment from the men and what does the sheriff ask her?
4. What is Sue doing when she realizes someone is in her house and what does she know about it?
5. What does Sue think about her sons?
6. How does Sue feel and what does she tell Booker when he offers to help her?
7. What kind of work does Sue start to do after looking out the window? What does she wish for as she works?
8. What does Sue tell Booker eventually and how does she feel about it?
9. What does Reva tell Sue?
10. What does the sheriff do when Sue doesn't respond to his second request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While it may seem inconceivable for a mother to stand by and watch her son be tortured, Sue knows that the emotional pain her son would feel if the other members of the party were seized would be far greater. And so, out of love for her son, she stands quietly by and does not respond to the sheriff's demands.
1. Do you think Sue was right or wrong to worry about her son's emotional pain? Why or why not?
2. How does Sue demonstrate her strength as she stands by while her son is tortured?
3. Do you think you could have done what Sue did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Before Sue leaves, she goes into Johnny-Boy's bedroom to get the gun that he keeps in his dresser drawer.
1. Do you think Sue is wrong to take a gun with her?
2. If you were in Sue's position would you have taken the gun? Why or why not?
3. Sue seems to believe the only way she can help her son is to kill Booker. Explain why you do or do not believe this is true.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)