Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sug at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Sue need to do with the clothes in the zinc wash tub?
3. Why does Sue protect her sons?
4. Why was one of Sue's sons arrested a year ago?
5. What does Sue hear after she returns to her ironing after Reva left?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reva do and what does she ask Sue?
2. What does the sheriff say to Sue as they come up to him?
3. What does Sue do after she finishes her ironing?
4. What happens to Sue first in the kitchen when she confronts who is in her house?
5. What does Sue tell Booker eventually and how does she feel about it?
6. What does Sue resolve to do as they take her to the sheriff?
7. How does Sue react to Reva's thoughts on the situation?
8. Who comes into the house and what does she say?
9. What does Sue do when she feels she wants to be alone?
10. What happens when Booker comes into the clearing?
Essay Topic 1
When Sue says that she told Johnny-Boy what Reva had said earlier, Reva seems pleased and tells Sue that she knew everything would turn out fine. Hearing Reva's exuberance proves to be too much for Sue and she finds herself near tears. However, she also knows that she must remain strong for the young woman's sake and so she remains stoic.
1. Why do you think Sue believes she has to remain stoic?
2. Explain, using examples from the story the meaning of stoic.
3. Do you think it would be better for Sue to be honest with Reva? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The sheriff then asks Sue where the meeting is supposed to be held. Sue refuses to tell them and so the sheriff once again threatens to kill Johnny-Boy. Despite the fact that she knows her son will almost certainly die, Sue is proud of her defiance, pride and strength.
1. Would you agree that what Sue did was an act of pride and strength? Why or why not?
2. How far would you be willing to go to protect people if you belonged to a group that was against the law? Explain what you would do and why you would chose it.
3. Do you think that Sue being willing to let them kill her son to protect his comrades is the sign of a bad mother? Why or why not?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)