|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue feel strongly about Johnny-Boy while Reva is there?
2. What does Sue feel in her face?
3. What does Sue realize about Johnny-Boy?
4. What does Reva tell Sue about the sheriff?
5. What does she do when the sheriff ask her the question from question #74?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sheriff ask Sue and what is her reply? What does the sheriff do after she replies to him?
2. What does Sue do after she finishes her ironing?
3. What does Booker tell Sue about the sheriff and Johnny-Boy?
4. How does Johnny-Boy feel about his mother pushing him?
5. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about Reva?
6. What does Sue do about the admonishment from the men and what does the sheriff ask her?
7. What does Sue finally decide to do?
8. What does Sue do when she wakes with someone in her house?
9. What does Reva do and what does she ask Sue?
10. What is Sue asked as she rises to her feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sheriff then asks Sue where the meeting is supposed to be held. Sue refuses to tell them and so the sheriff once again threatens to kill Johnny-Boy. Despite the fact that she knows her son will almost certainly die, Sue is proud of her defiance, pride and strength.
1. Would you agree that what Sue did was an act of pride and strength? Why or why not?
2. How far would you be willing to go to protect people if you belonged to a group that was against the law? Explain what you would do and why you would chose it.
3. Do you think that Sue being willing to let them kill her son to protect his comrades is the sign of a bad mother? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As we have suspected from nearly the beginning of the story, Johnny-Boy is killed. The death of Sue, on the other hand, comes as a bit of a surprise.
1. Were you surprised when Sue was killed? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Sue's death was foreshadowed in the story? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Do you think the death of Sue and her son could have happened in the present time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
We see another example of the conflict that has existed within Sue during this entire story as she once again reaches out to her Christian faith to help her complete this one last act in the name of the Communist Party.
1. Why do you think communism and Christianity are mutually exclusive?
2. Why do you think most communist governments try to repress religion?
3. What do you think is the reason Sue falls back on her Christian faith even though she doesn't seem to believe in it anymore?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)