|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the most consistent situations we read about in Sue's life?
2. With what does the Sheriff again threaten Sue?
3. What has the sheriff discovered that has him upset?
4. By what is Sue consumed?
5. What happens when Johnny-Boy dozes off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sue told when she said she'd come for Johnny-Boy's body? How does she respond?
2. How does Sue react to Reva's thoughts on the situation?
3. How does Johnny-Boy feel about his mother pushing him?
4. What does Sue do for several hours after the sheriff leaves?
5. What does the sheriff ask her about the meeting and what does he threaten?
6. What opinion does Sue express to her son about his work?
7. Why can't Sue quit worrying about her son?
8. What happens with Sue soon after the sheriff left?
9. What does Reva do and what does she ask Sue?
10. What happens when Booker comes into the clearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body. 1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story? 2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation? 3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2We also see that, despite her son's beliefs, Sue still feels a great deal of hate and distrust with respect to white people. 1. Do you think Sue's feelings towards white people are justified? 2. Some people call the idea of minorities hating the majority "reverse prejudice." What do you think this means and do you believe it exist?
Essay Topic 3The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life. 1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer. 2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning? 3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)