|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue do when she quits ironing?
2. How does Sue taunt the Sheriff?
3. What does Sue say to the people in her house?
4. What does Reva tell Sue about the sheriff?
5. Who is Sue thinking about in the opening paragraphs of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue do with the gun and where does she go? What does she see as she approaches?
2. Why can't Sue quit worrying about her son?
3. What does Reva tell Sue?
4. What does Johnny-Boy tell his mother about how he sees people?
5. How does Sue reply when the men ask her why she is there?
6. What does Sue do when she feels she wants to be alone?
7. How does Johnny-Boy feel about his mother pushing him?
8. How do the other men with the sheriff respond to what she says to him?
9. What does Sue think about her sons?
10. How did life feel to Sue after Sug was arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We also see that, despite her son's beliefs, Sue still feels a great deal of hate and distrust with respect to white people.
1. Do you think Sue's feelings towards white people are justified?
2. Some people call the idea of minorities hating the majority "reverse prejudice." What do you think this means and do you believe it exist?
Essay Topic 2
Sue spends the next several hours huddled over her stove contemplating all that has happened. She knows that she will likely never see either of her sons again.
1. Would you consider this a foreshadow? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that Sue's feelings about her son are justified or is it imagination due to a mother's fear? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that most parents worry that something will happen to their child whenever a child leaves the home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sue's life thus far has been punctuated by untimely losses; the tragic death of her mother, the untimely death of her husband and Sug's recent incarceration have all combined to essentially strip away everyone that is important to her, except Johnny-Boy.
1. What do you think would be the normal reaction to so much loss in life? Use examples support your answer.
2. Thinking about your life, your parents, siblings and friends, how would your life change if you had lost at least three of those people?
3. Discuss a death you have had in your life or in the life of someone you know.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)