|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue say when the Sheriff ask where Johnny-Boy is?
2. How does Johnny-Boy feel when his mother keeps talking at him?
3. What happens to Sue after question #76?
4. What does the sheriff ask Sue?
5. After Sue is on the floor again, what does the Sheriff do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue see Booker when she comes to after the sheriff's beating?
2. How did life feel to Sue after Sug was arrested?
3. How does Johnny-Boy respond to his mother's comments about his work?
4. How does Sue feel and what does she tell Booker when he offers to help her?
5. How do the other men with the sheriff respond to what she says to him?
6. What do Reva and Sue wonder about concerning the sheriff?
7. What does Booker do when Sue recognizes him?
8. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about Reva?
9. What is the first thing the men do to Johnny-Boy after Sue arrives and why?
10. What does the sheriff ask her about the meeting and what does he threaten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As we have suspected from nearly the beginning of the story, Johnny-Boy is killed. The death of Sue, on the other hand, comes as a bit of a surprise.
1. Were you surprised when Sue was killed? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Sue's death was foreshadowed in the story? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Do you think the death of Sue and her son could have happened in the present time? Why or why not?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)