|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue repeat to the men?
2. What is she told after she speaks to the sheriff?
3. When does Sue shut the door after Johnny-Boy leaves?
4. What does Sue do when Johnny-Boy gets ready to leave the house?
5. What has the sheriff discovered that has him upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue do after Reva leaves?
2. What does Sue do after she finishes her ironing?
3. What happens as Sue rises to her feet?
4. What do the men do after Sue shoots her gun and how does she feel in the end?
5. What is the first thing the men do to Johnny-Boy after Sue arrives and why?
6. What does the sheriff do when Sue doesn't respond to his second request?
7. How does Sue feel about Booker helping her and what does she do?
8. How do the other men with the sheriff respond to what she says to him?
9. What does Johnny-Boy do when he arrives home?
10. What does Sue tell Booker eventually and how does she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue realizes that she does not fully subscribe to her sons' Communist beliefs, she knows that the Party is extremely important to them.
1. Communism as an ideal seems to be a just and compassionate system of government. The reality is far from the ideal. Why do you think that is true?
2. Do you think that everyone should have access to benefits such as food, clothing, shelter and health care, whether rich or poor? Why or why not?
3. After doing some research of the McCarthy era in America, do you think the U.S. government had the right to persecute people who believed communism was a good system for a society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that the story takes place on a cold, rainy night is significant in that it represents the despair that Sue has endured thus far in her life.
1. Why might the weather be symbolic of the tone of the story? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. What is symbolism in a story and how does the author use it to convey undertones of meaning?
3. Do you think symbolism makes a story more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sue finally decides to go to the woods with a white sheet to retrieve her son's body.
1. What do you think the white sheet symbolizes in the story?
2. How do you think your mother or father would react in Sue's situation?
3. Why do you think Sue believes her son is dead? Does it seem morbid for a mother to go find her son with a sheet to wrap around his body? Why or why not?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)