|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sue tell the sheriff?
(a) He has no warrant.
(b) He is a liar and a fraud.
(c) She appreciates his help.
(d) She doubts his sincerity.
2. Of what is Sue proud?
(a) Of the way she does not scream when hit.
(b) Of her defiance, pride and strength.
(c) Of the way her home was clean and neat.
(d) Of her son.
3. What does Sue do as the Sheriff is leaving?
(a) Yells after him and tells him what he wants to know.
(b) Shoots him with her shotgun.
(c) Calls the FBI.
(d) Yells after him to taunt him.
4. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about the meeting?
(a) She doesn't mention the meeting.
(b) That the sheriff knows about it.
(c) That she will attend.
(d) That the place will have to be moved.
5. What does Sue do when she quits ironing?
(a) Sews Johnny-Boy's jacket.
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Has a bottle of beer.
(d) Fixes Johnny-Boy's dinner.
6. What did Sue's mother instill in her?
(a) A hatred of whites.
(b) A hard work ethic.
(c) A strong faith in Jesus.
(d) A desire to find a good husband.
7. By what is Sue consumed?
(a) Bitter pride.
(b) Tolerance for the ignorant Sheriff.
(c) Forgiveness for the Sheriff.
(d) Bitter knowledge.
8. What does the Sheriff do when he hears Sue yell at him?
(a) Ignores her.
(b) Comes back to the house and hits her.
(c) Gives her an obscene gesture.
(d) Comes back to the house and shoots her.
9. What does Johnny-Boy try to give his mother after dinner?
(a) Some flowers he picked.
(b) His laundry from last week.
(d) Money for the canceled meeting.
10. What does Sue do to ignore her fears?
(a) Read the Bible.
(b) Call her sister in Ohio.
(c) Have a glass of whiskey.
(d) Concentrate on work.
11. Who is Sue thinking about in the opening paragraphs of the story?
(a) Her sister, Ethel.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her dead husband.
12. How does Sue feel about Reva?
(a) Is suspicious of her.
(b) Likes and trusts her.
(c) Is wary of her.
(d) Is afraid of her.
13. What happens when Johnny-Boy dozes off?
(a) His pipe drops to the floor.
(b) Reva comes back.
(c) Lightning hits the house.
(d) He starts to snore.
14. What does the Sheriff say to Sue about Johnny-Boy?
(a) If they need to look for him they will still find him.
(b) If they need to look for him they will kill him.
(c) If they need to look for him they will arrest him.
(d) They don't say anything.
15. After Sue is on the floor again, what does the Sheriff do?
(a) Tells her she's under arrest.
(b) Kicks her in the head and stomach.
(d) Tells her that he'll be back with her son's corpse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sue feel about people who tried to destroy the Party?
2. What does Sue think the person in her house wants?
3. What made Sue feel anxious and worried at the beginning of the story?
4. What does the sheriff do when Sue doesn't answer all his questions?
5. What does Sue do after Johnny-Boy leaves?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)