|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even after joining the Communists, in what did Sue find comfort?
(a) Old spiritual songs.
(b) Going to church.
(c) Being in a pray group.
(d) Talking to her minister.
2. What is one of the most consistent situations we read about in Sue's life?
(a) Working too hard, but making good money.
(b) Not taking care of her family.
(c) Having a string of lovers.
(d) Losing people she loves.
3. Who does Sue think is responsible for telling the sheriff about the meeting?
(a) One of the new white people.
(b) She doesn't have an opinion.
(d) Reva's father.
4. What does Sue do when she quits ironing?
(a) Sews Johnny-Boy's jacket.
(b) Has a bottle of beer.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Fixes Johnny-Boy's dinner.
5. What does Sue realize about Johnny-Boy?
(a) He and his father are very much alike.
(b) He has to continue his work for the party.
(c) He will probably move away soon.
(d) He is irresponsible.
6. What does Sue sense that night about her son, Johnny-Boy?
(a) He is going to bust his brother out of jail.
(b) She will soon be saying good-bye to him.
(c) He will soon be married.
(d) He will be shot and killed.
7. Why did Johnny-Boy think it was necessary to take in so many members so quickly?
(a) To collect more dues.
(b) So he could get outside help.
(c) To make the party grow and become strong.
(d) To spread out the meeting places.
8. How does Sue feel towards white people?
(a) Hate and respect.
9. When is Johnny-Boy happiest?
(a) When he's with Reva.
(b) When he's fishing.
(c) When he's in school.
(d) When he's working for the party.
10. How does Johnny-Boy feel when his mother keeps talking at him?
11. What does Johnny-Boy do when his mother talks to him about the party?
(a) He defends his actions.
(b) He agrees with her.
(c) He calls her a liar.
(d) He asks her what he should do.
12. How does Sue feel about Reva?
(a) Is afraid of her.
(b) Is wary of her.
(c) Is suspicious of her.
(d) Likes and trusts her.
13. What does Sue do when Johnny-Boy gets ready to leave the house?
(a) Walks him to the door.
(b) Packs him a lunch.
(c) Tries to stop him.
(d) Starts to cry.
14. What does Sue do to ease her fear?
(a) Watches television.
(b) Goes into town.
(c) Reads the Bible.
(d) Sings a song she learned from her mother.
15. Who told Sue about what happened to her son who went to jail?
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue repeat to the men?
2. What did Sue see as taking precedence over her life?
3. What does Sue do after she shuts the door?
4. With what does the Sheriff again threaten Sue?
5. What does the sheriff do when Sue doesn't answer all his questions?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)