|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reva think about the meeting that's been called?
(a) It should be interesting.
(b) It will last all night.
(c) It will be full.
(d) It should be canceled.
2. What does the sheriff do when Sue doesn't answer all his questions?
(a) He handcuffs her.
(b) He kicks her in the shin.
(c) He leaves.
(d) He slaps her in the face.
3. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about the meeting?
(a) That the place will have to be moved.
(b) That the sheriff knows about it.
(c) That she will attend.
(d) She doesn't mention the meeting.
4. Why did Johnny-Boy think it was necessary to take in so many members so quickly?
(a) So he could get outside help.
(b) To make the party grow and become strong.
(c) To spread out the meeting places.
(d) To collect more dues.
5. What does Sue realize about Johnny-Boy?
(a) He will probably move away soon.
(b) He and his father are very much alike.
(c) He is irresponsible.
(d) He has to continue his work for the party.
6. Where is Johnny-Boy at the beginning of the story?
(b) Notifying others of a meeting.
(c) Working at the gas station.
(d) Tending to a foaling mare.
7. When Sue continues to refuse to answer the Sheriff's questions, what does he do?
(a) He ties Sue up and begins systematic torture.
(b) He shoots Sue.
(c) He offers her money for the answers.
(d) He and his men leave the house.
8. What does Reva tell Sue about the sheriff?
(a) He was at her home that night.
(b) He raped her.
(c) He was looking for her.
(d) He killed Reva's father.
9. What does the word 'reiterate' mean?
(a) To argue about principle.
(b) To say again.
(c) To return home.
(d) To stare in silence.
10. What is one of the most consistent situations we read about in Sue's life?
(a) Working too hard, but making good money.
(b) Losing people she loves.
(c) Having a string of lovers.
(d) Not taking care of her family.
11. What does Sue hear after she returns to her ironing after Reva left?
(a) The sheriff banging on the door.
(b) Johnny-Boy's footsteps.
(c) A lynch mob.
(d) Reva screaming.
12. What does Sue sense that night about her son, Johnny-Boy?
(a) He will be shot and killed.
(b) She will soon be saying good-bye to him.
(c) He will soon be married.
(d) He is going to bust his brother out of jail.
13. What does the sheriff ask Sue about the meeting?
(a) Where it will be held.
(b) Why they are having a meeting.
(c) What time it's to start.
(d) Who will attend.
14. What does Sue do to ignore her fears?
(a) Concentrate on work.
(b) Have a glass of whiskey.
(c) Call her sister in Ohio.
(d) Read the Bible.
15. What does Sue think Johnny-Boy has done wrong regarding the party?
(a) He shouldn't have joined.
(b) He didn't bring in enough older people.
(c) He didn't get outside help.
(d) He let too many whites in too fast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue see one of the men in her house do?
2. What did Sue's mother instill in her?
3. With what does the Sheriff again threaten Sue?
4. Even after joining the Communists, in what did Sue find comfort?
5. What does Sue repeat to the men?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)