|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sue tell the sheriff?
(a) He has no warrant.
(b) He is a liar and a fraud.
(c) She appreciates his help.
(d) She doubts his sincerity.
2. What made Sue feel anxious and worried at the beginning of the story?
(a) Her brother went into the hospital.
(b) She learned a Communist meeting had been called.
(c) Her mother has been ill.
(d) Sug was supposed to be home yesterday.
3. What is one of the most consistent situations we read about in Sue's life?
(a) Having a string of lovers.
(b) Not taking care of her family.
(c) Working too hard, but making good money.
(d) Losing people she loves.
4. Who does Sue think is responsible for telling the sheriff about the meeting?
(a) She doesn't have an opinion.
(b) Reva's father.
(c) One of the new white people.
5. What happens when Johnny-Boy dozes off?
(a) Reva comes back.
(b) Lightning hits the house.
(c) He starts to snore.
(d) His pipe drops to the floor.
6. Who told Sue about what happened to her son who went to jail?
(a) Her mother.
7. What does Sue sense that night about her son, Johnny-Boy?
(a) He is going to bust his brother out of jail.
(b) He will be shot and killed.
(c) She will soon be saying good-bye to him.
(d) He will soon be married.
8. What seemed to continually test Sue's faith?
(a) The pain in her body.
(b) Her sons' behavior.
(c) Her husband's illness.
(d) The discrimination towards black people.
9. By what is Sue consumed?
(a) Bitter knowledge.
(b) Tolerance for the ignorant Sheriff.
(c) Forgiveness for the Sheriff.
(d) Bitter pride.
10. What does Sue think the person in her house wants?
(a) To drop off some laundry.
(b) To find Johnny-Boy.
(c) To find Reva.
(d) To bring her some food.
11. What does Sue do after Johnny-Boy leaves?
(a) Goes to bed.
(c) Throws his clothes into the yard.
(d) Watch him disappear into the night.
12. How did life seem to Sue after one of her sons went to jail?
(a) No different than before.
(d) More difficult.
13. Why did Johnny-Boy think it was necessary to take in so many members so quickly?
(a) To spread out the meeting places.
(b) So he could get outside help.
(c) To make the party grow and become strong.
(d) To collect more dues.
14. What do the people do when Sue speaks to them?
(a) Run out of the house.
(b) Breaks her window.
(c) Scream at her.
(d) Fall silent.
15. What does Sue do after the answer to question #72?
(a) Heats up her iron.
(b) Asks them to leave.
(c) Makes them tea.
(d) Sits at the kitchen table.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does the cold and rain make Sue long?
2. What happens to Sue after question #76?
3. After Sue is on the floor again, what does the Sheriff do?
4. Of what is Sue proud?
5. When does Sue shut the door after Johnny-Boy leaves?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)