|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sue say when the Sheriff ask where Johnny-Boy is?
(a) He has left town.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) They will have to find him.
(d) He is sleeping in his bedroom.
2. What does Sue tell the Sheriff about the meeting?
(a) That her son is not attending the meeting.
(b) She refuses to tell him anything.
(c) That they have canceled the meeting.
(d) That the location is going to be moved every hour.
3. How did life seem to Sue after one of her sons went to jail?
(a) More difficult.
(c) No different than before.
4. What did Sue's mother instill in her?
(a) A desire to find a good husband.
(b) A hard work ethic.
(c) A strong faith in Jesus.
(d) A hatred of whites.
5. Where is Johnny-Boy at the beginning of the story?
(a) Tending to a foaling mare.
(c) Notifying others of a meeting.
(d) Working at the gas station.
6. What does Sue feel in her face?
(a) Water from the tea pot.
(b) Left over greens from dinner.
(c) A mosquito.
(d) A burlap sack.
7. What does Reva think about the meeting that's been called?
(a) It should be interesting.
(b) It will last all night.
(c) It will be full.
(d) It should be canceled.
8. What does Sue do when Reva leaves?
(a) Stands in the doorway and watches her.
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Makes some tear.
(d) Has a drink.
9. What does Johnny-Boy do after eating?
(a) Reads the paper.
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Puts his shoes back on.
(d) Watches television.
10. What does Johnny-Boy try to give his mother after dinner?
(b) Some flowers he picked.
(c) Money for the canceled meeting.
(d) His laundry from last week.
11. What is one of the most consistent situations we read about in Sue's life?
(a) Having a string of lovers.
(b) Not taking care of her family.
(c) Losing people she loves.
(d) Working too hard, but making good money.
12. What did Sue begin to think the Communist Party's beginnings were like?
(a) The sun shining after a week of rain.
(b) Jesus' Resurrection.
(c) The Medieval Crusades.
(d) The American Civil War.
13. How does Sue earn her living?
(a) Serving in the school's cafeteria.
(b) Sewing clothes.
(c) By washing and ironing other people's laundry.
(d) Cleaning houses.
14. Where is Sug at the beginning of the story?
(d) Vocational school.
15. When does Sue shut the door after Johnny-Boy leaves?
(a) After sweeping the dust out the door.
(b) When Johnny-Boy gets in his car.
(c) When she can't hear his foot steps.
(d) When she sees the sheriff coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sue doing when she realizes someone is in her house?
2. Why did Reva come to see Sue?
3. What does Sue do when she quits ironing?
4. What does Reva tell Sue to tell Johnny-Boy?
5. When Sue continues to refuse to answer the Sheriff's questions, what does he do?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)