|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sue begin to think the Communist Party's beginnings were like?
(a) The American Civil War.
(b) The sun shining after a week of rain.
(c) Jesus' Resurrection.
(d) The Medieval Crusades.
2. What did Sue's mother instill in her?
(a) A desire to find a good husband.
(b) A hard work ethic.
(c) A hatred of whites.
(d) A strong faith in Jesus.
3. What is one of the most consistent situations we read about in Sue's life?
(a) Having a string of lovers.
(b) Not taking care of her family.
(c) Losing people she loves.
(d) Working too hard, but making good money.
4. What does the sheriff ask Sue about the meeting?
(a) Who will attend.
(b) Why they are having a meeting.
(c) What time it's to start.
(d) Where it will be held.
5. What seemed to continually test Sue's faith?
(a) The pain in her body.
(b) Her sons' behavior.
(c) Her husband's illness.
(d) The discrimination towards black people.
6. How does Johnny-Boy see the people he encounters?
(a) As black or white.
(b) As communist or not.
(c) As young or old.
(d) As rich or poor.
7. With what does the Sheriff again threaten Sue?
(b) A charge of aiding and abetting.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) The death of her son.
8. What does Sue need to do with the clothes in the zinc wash tub?
(a) Iron them.
(b) Mend them.
(c) Fold them.
(d) Wash them.
9. What does the Sheriff say to Sue about Johnny-Boy?
(a) If they need to look for him they will kill him.
(b) If they need to look for him they will arrest him.
(c) They don't say anything.
(d) If they need to look for him they will still find him.
10. When will Sue tell Johnny-Boy the meeting needs to be called off?
(a) While he eats.
(b) After he wakes up and eats.
(d) The day before the meeting.
11. What does the Sheriff do when he hears Sue yell at him?
(a) Comes back to the house and shoots her.
(b) Comes back to the house and hits her.
(c) Gives her an obscene gesture.
(d) Ignores her.
12. What does Sue see one of the men in her house do?
(a) None of them did anything.
(b) Kick his foot towards her.
(c) Move his arm suddenly.
(d) Tip over her laundry pail
13. What does Sue do when Johnny-Boy dozes off?
(a) Goes for a walk.
(b) Brings him a pillow.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Puts away his supper.
14. Why did Reva come to see Sue?
(a) To borrow some sugar.
(b) To get away from her father.
(c) To see if Johnny-Boy was home.
(d) To help wash clothes.
15. Even after joining the Communists, in what did Sue find comfort?
(a) Old spiritual songs.
(b) Going to church.
(c) Being in a pray group.
(d) Talking to her minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue feel in her face?
2. What does Sue hear after she returns to her ironing after Reva left?
3. What made Sue feel anxious and worried at the beginning of the story?
4. Who does Sue think is responsible for telling the sheriff about the meeting?
5. By what is Sue consumed?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)