|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Sue about what happened to her son who went to jail?
(d) Her mother.
2. What is she told after she speaks to the sheriff?
(a) To listen and shut up.
(b) That she is under arrest.
(c) To remember she's talking to white people.
(d) To fix them food.
3. What did Sue's mother instill in her?
(a) A hard work ethic.
(b) A strong faith in Jesus.
(c) A hatred of whites.
(d) A desire to find a good husband.
4. What does Sue do to ease her fear?
(a) Watches television.
(b) Sings a song she learned from her mother.
(c) Goes into town.
(d) Reads the Bible.
5. Why does Sue protect her sons?
(a) Because she hates the Sheriff.
(b) Because they have threatened her.
(c) Because they believe so strongly in what they're doing.
(d) Because she believes as strongly as they do in the Communist ideals.
6. What does Reva tell Sue about the sheriff?
(a) He killed Reva's father.
(b) He raped her.
(c) He was looking for her.
(d) He was at her home that night.
7. What has the sheriff discovered that has him upset?
(a) Sue hasn't finished his laundry yet.
(b) Johnny-Boy hit a car and left the scene.
(c) Reva stole some drugs.
(d) There's to be a party meeting.
8. What happens when Johnny-Boy dozes off?
(a) Reva comes back.
(b) Lightning hits the house.
(c) He starts to snore.
(d) His pipe drops to the floor.
9. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about Reva?
(a) That she was arrested.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) That she came over.
(d) That her father beat her up.
10. What happens to Sue after question #76?
(a) She goes to bed.
(b) She falls to the floor.
(c) She goes to jail.
(d) She is raped.
11. How did life seem to Sue after one of her sons went to jail?
(b) No different than before.
(d) More difficult.
12. When is Johnny-Boy happiest?
(a) When he's fishing.
(b) When he's in school.
(c) When he's with Reva.
(d) When he's working for the party.
13. What does Sue sense that night about her son, Johnny-Boy?
(a) She will soon be saying good-bye to him.
(b) He is going to bust his brother out of jail.
(c) He will soon be married.
(d) He will be shot and killed.
14. What does Sue realize about Johnny-Boy?
(a) He is irresponsible.
(b) He and his father are very much alike.
(c) He has to continue his work for the party.
(d) He will probably move away soon.
15. What does Sue do after Johnny-Boy leaves?
(a) Throws his clothes into the yard.
(b) Goes to bed.
(d) Watch him disappear into the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sue thinking about in the opening paragraphs of the story?
2. How does Sue feel towards white people?
3. When will Sue tell Johnny-Boy the meeting needs to be called off?
4. What does the Sheriff do when he hears Sue yell at him?
5. What does Reva tell Sue to tell Johnny-Boy?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)