|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sug at the beginning of the story?
(b) Vocational school.
2. What does Sue need to do with the clothes in the zinc wash tub?
(a) Iron them.
(b) Mend them.
(c) Fold them.
(d) Wash them.
3. Why does Sue protect her sons?
(a) Because they believe so strongly in what they're doing.
(b) Because she hates the Sheriff.
(c) Because they have threatened her.
(d) Because she believes as strongly as they do in the Communist ideals.
4. Why was one of Sue's sons arrested a year ago?
(a) For talking back to the sheriff.
(b) For not divulging names of others in the party.
(c) For breaking the drug store's window.
(d) For raping a college student.
5. What does Sue hear after she returns to her ironing after Reva left?
(a) Reva screaming.
(b) The sheriff banging on the door.
(c) A lynch mob.
(d) Johnny-Boy's footsteps.
6. How did Sue feel about people who tried to destroy the Party?
7. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about Reva?
(a) That she loves him.
(b) That she came over.
(c) That her father beat her up.
(d) That she was arrested.
8. What does Sue feel about Johnny-Boy after dinner?
(a) He will leave and not return.
(b) He has gotten too old.
(c) He will never have children.
(d) He is disobedient.
9. What does Sue sense that night about her son, Johnny-Boy?
(a) He is going to bust his brother out of jail.
(b) He will be shot and killed.
(c) He will soon be married.
(d) She will soon be saying good-bye to him.
10. What does Sue see one of the men in her house do?
(a) None of them did anything.
(b) Kick his foot towards her.
(c) Tip over her laundry pail
(d) Move his arm suddenly.
11. What does Sue do while Johnny-Boy is eating?
(a) Has a cup of coffee at the table.
(b) Takes a walk.
(c) Feeds the dog.
(d) Keeps ironing.
12. What has the sheriff discovered that has him upset?
(a) Reva stole some drugs.
(b) Sue hasn't finished his laundry yet.
(c) Johnny-Boy hit a car and left the scene.
(d) There's to be a party meeting.
13. What do the people do when Sue speaks to them?
(a) Run out of the house.
(b) Scream at her.
(c) Breaks her window.
(d) Fall silent.
14. What does the word 'reiterate' mean?
(a) To stare in silence.
(b) To return home.
(c) To say again.
(d) To argue about principle.
15. Why did Reva come to see Sue?
(a) To help wash clothes.
(b) To see if Johnny-Boy was home.
(c) To borrow some sugar.
(d) To get away from her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sue is on the floor again, what does the Sheriff do?
2. What does Sue do after she shuts the door?
3. What does Reva tell Sue to tell Johnny-Boy?
4. What does the Sheriff say to Sue about Johnny-Boy?
5. What is the weather like at the opening of Bright and Morning Star?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)