|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does the Sheriff again threaten Sue?
(a) A charge of aiding and abetting.
(b) The death of her son.
(d) Life in prison.
2. By what is Sue consumed?
(a) Bitter pride.
(b) Tolerance for the ignorant Sheriff.
(c) Bitter knowledge.
(d) Forgiveness for the Sheriff.
3. Why does Sue want Johnny-Boy to have some money?
(a) In case he needs to leave town.
(b) So he can eat when out and about.
(c) So he can buy a car.
(d) So he can take Reva on a date.
4. What's the first thing Sue tells Reva to do when she comes inside?
(a) Take a warm shower.
(b) Make a cup of tea.
(c) Dry her hair.
(d) Take off her wet shoes.
5. What does Sue do after she shuts the door?
(a) Irons Johnny-Boy's shirts.
(b) Goes to her bedroom.
(c) Drinks a cup of coffee.
(d) Starts more laundry.
6. What does Sue feel strongly about Johnny-Boy while Reva is there?
(a) Something terrible has happened to him.
(b) He's in love with Reva.
(c) He is at Reva's house.
(d) Reva's father hates him.
7. What seemed to continually test Sue's faith?
(a) Her sons' behavior.
(b) Her husband's illness.
(c) The discrimination towards black people.
(d) The pain in her body.
8. What did Sue's mother instill in her?
(a) A desire to find a good husband.
(b) A hatred of whites.
(c) A strong faith in Jesus.
(d) A hard work ethic.
9. What did Sue begin to think the Communist Party's beginnings were like?
(a) The sun shining after a week of rain.
(b) Jesus' Resurrection.
(c) The Medieval Crusades.
(d) The American Civil War.
10. What happens when Johnny-Boy dozes off?
(a) He starts to snore.
(b) His pipe drops to the floor.
(c) Reva comes back.
(d) Lightning hits the house.
11. Where is Sug at the beginning of the story?
(c) Vocational school.
12. Who is Sue thinking about in the opening paragraphs of the story?
(b) Her sister, Ethel.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her dead husband.
13. How did life seem to Sue after one of her sons went to jail?
(c) No different than before.
(d) More difficult.
14. How does Sue feel about Reva?
(a) Is afraid of her.
(b) Likes and trusts her.
(c) Is suspicious of her.
(d) Is wary of her.
15. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about the meeting?
(a) She doesn't mention the meeting.
(b) That the place will have to be moved.
(c) That the sheriff knows about it.
(d) That she will attend.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Johnny-Boy happiest?
2. Why was one of Sue's sons arrested a year ago?
3. How does Sue feel towards white people?
4. What does the sheriff do when Sue doesn't answer all his questions?
5. Who does Sue think is responsible for telling the sheriff about the meeting?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)