|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sue find people in her house?
(a) The living room.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) Johnny-Boy's room.
(d) The kitchen.
2. For whom does the cold and rain make Sue long?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her dead husband.
3. What does Sue see one of the men in her house do?
(a) Move his arm suddenly.
(b) Kick his foot towards her.
(c) None of them did anything.
(d) Tip over her laundry pail
4. What does Sue do when Johnny-Boy gets ready to leave the house?
(a) Starts to cry.
(b) Packs him a lunch.
(c) Walks him to the door.
(d) Tries to stop him.
5. When is Johnny-Boy happiest?
(a) When he's with Reva.
(b) When he's working for the party.
(c) When he's in school.
(d) When he's fishing.
6. What does the word 'reiterate' mean?
(a) To stare in silence.
(b) To return home.
(c) To say again.
(d) To argue about principle.
7. What did Sue begin to think the Communist Party's beginnings were like?
(a) The Medieval Crusades.
(b) Jesus' Resurrection.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) The sun shining after a week of rain.
8. Why did Reva come to see Sue?
(a) To see if Johnny-Boy was home.
(b) To get away from her father.
(c) To borrow some sugar.
(d) To help wash clothes.
9. After Sue is on the floor again, what does the Sheriff do?
(a) Tells her she's under arrest.
(c) Kicks her in the head and stomach.
(d) Tells her that he'll be back with her son's corpse.
10. How do you think Johnny-Boy feels about his mother?
(a) He loves her deeply.
(b) He thinks she is too religious.
(c) He is irritated by her.
(d) He thinks she is wrong about the party.
11. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about the meeting?
(a) She doesn't mention the meeting.
(b) That the sheriff knows about it.
(c) That she will attend.
(d) That the place will have to be moved.
12. What does Sue do after Johnny-Boy finishes eating?
(a) Starts to iron again.
(b) More laundry.
(c) The dishes.
(d) Goes to bed.
13. What seemed to continually test Sue's faith?
(a) Her sons' behavior.
(b) Her husband's illness.
(c) The discrimination towards black people.
(d) The pain in her body.
14. What happens to Sue after question #76?
(a) She is raped.
(b) She goes to jail.
(c) She goes to bed.
(d) She falls to the floor.
15. What does Sue tell Johnny-Boy about Reva?
(a) That her father beat her up.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) That she was arrested.
(d) That she came over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny-Boy do when his mother talks to him about the party?
2. What does Sue hear after she returns to her ironing after Reva left?
3. Of what is Sue proud?
4. How does Sue earn her living?
5. What does the sheriff tell Sue?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)