|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charles spend the New Year's holiday?
2. What is the name of Sebastian's bear?
3. What is Charles plagued by in this chapter?
4. Where does Sebastian's father live?
5. What is Boy's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Waugh's writing style.
2. Why does Brideshead interest Charles so much?
3. How have the other characters in the story lead Charles to religion?
4. What is Charles now doing with his life?
5. Who are the other Marchmain children?
6. How have things changed for Sebastian and Charles at university?
7. Why is Julia upset with Bridey's wife in Book 2, Chapters 3 and 4?
8. Why do you think Charles compares the army to a woman?
9. What information does Rex impart to Charles about the Marchmain family?
10. What agreement do Charles and Celia come to in their divorce case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By having everyone convert to Catholicism, including Sebastian's atheist father, the book loses some of its impact. Using two examples from the book, ask the students to write a classroom essay either in support or against the statement.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Charles and Julia.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is partly set in London.
1) What meaning does London bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that is set in London?
2) How different do you think today's London is to the London in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's London?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)