|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what estate do Charles and his troops set up camp?
2. Where are Ryder and his troops going?
3. Where is Sebastian sick?
4. How old was Lord Marchmain when he left the family home?
5. What is the name of Julia's new boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Charles' marriage to Celia.
2. Summarize the opening chapter.
3. What is the family's relationship with Cara?
4. Why does Brideshead interest Charles so much?
5. What does the chapel lamp symbolize?
6. What does Boy suggest they do to spice up their evening?
7. What reason does Cara give for Lord Marchmain falling out of love with his wife?
8. What statement by Lord Marchmain's mistress does Charles now understand?
9. Why do you think the Marchmain family consults a doctor before calling for a priest for their father?
10. Summarize the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the upper classes lose after the Second World War? Does the book suggest they were already losing their identity? In what ways do you think the upper classes were important for Britain at that time and in the past?
Essay Topic 2
Brideshead Revisited has been a reference point for many any other works. Choose a film or book written after Brideshead Revisited that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss their similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
In 2008, Brideshead Revisited was made into a film starring Emma Thompson. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book are still relevant 50 years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think this is the first time the novel has been made into a film?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)