|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hasina's letters indicate that she is:
2. What do Dr. Azad and Chanu feel most Pakistani immigrants do?
3. When Nazneen asks Chanu for a new sari, he:
4. Chanu has plans to:
5. What surprises Nazneen about Chanu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chanu upset with Dr. Azad?
2. Why is Shahana not interested in the Internet?
3. Why is Nazneen surprised at her husband drinking beer?
4. What happens to Hasina's second marriage to Ahmed?
5. What does Nazneen learn that Chanu has been telling his family for many years?
6. What does Nazneen ask Chanu for permission to do with Raiza?
7. How do Chanu and Nazneen feel about one another at this point?
8. What does Nazneen want Chanu to do for Hasina?
9. Why is Chanu teaching the girls at home instead of sending them to the mosque school?
10. What is Mrs. Azad's views on assimilation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before Chanu leaves, Nazneen confronts Dr. Azad about giving Chanu the money. Why do you think she did this? What did she want to know? Do you think she wanted him to say something about their marriage?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Nazneen show a strength of character at the end of the book that she hasn't previously shown? To what do you attribute this?
Essay Topic 3
Why are there so many clashes between Chanu and Shahana? What are the sources of these clashes? How can they be resolved?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)