|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nazneen found her way home after being lost by:
2. The topic of discussion at the dinner with Dr. Azad is:
3. While at the hospital what does Nazneen think about Chanu?
4. Chanu is:
5. What item did Nazneen tell Chanu to bring:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nazneen learn of her son's death?
2. What is Mrs. Azad's views on assimilation?
3. Why is Chanu short with Nazneen when she mentions Mrs. Islam?
4. What is Chanu's theory about Mrs. Islam's handkerchiefs?
5. What does Shahana tell Nazneen of her plans if they move to Bangladesh?
6. How does Hasina support herself after leaving her husband?
7. Why is Chanu teaching the girls at home instead of sending them to the mosque school?
8. What does Nazneen ask Chanu for permission to do with Raiza?
9. What does Chanu view as the tragedy of the immigrant?
10. What happens to Hasina's second marriage to Ahmed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the different major characters in the novel, which one do you think changes the most over the course of the book? Which one changed the least? Who was your favorite character?
Essay Topic 2
Both Hasina and Nazneen grew up in the same household but they both chose different paths. Discuss this situation. Why would Hasina break with the tradition of her culture and flee her village? Why would Nazneen make the choices she makes?
Essay Topic 3
Nazneen receives a letter from Hasina right before Chanu's departure. Was Hasina telling Nazneen not to make the same mistake her mother made? Was she telling her not to return to Bangladesh?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)