|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Raiza bring for Ruku?
2. When Nazneen tells Chanu of Mrs. Islam's visit, he tells her:
3. Chanu tells Nazneen:
4. What was Chanu looking for?
5. Chanu finally finds work as a:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chanu view as the tragedy of the immigrant?
2. What does Nazneen realize about Chanu while they are sitting at the hospital?
3. How is Nazneen beginning to view her husband?
4. What happens to Hasina's job at the garment factory?
5. What changes have taken place in Raiza since she began English classes?
6. The argument between Raiza and her husband has intensified. What advice does Nazneen give her?
7. Why is Chanu teaching the girls at home instead of sending them to the mosque school?
8. What happens to Hasina's second marriage to Ahmed?
9. How does Nazneen learn of her son's death?
10. What does Chanu tell Nazneen that his long range plans are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chanu talks of the tragedy of the immigrant. What is meant by this? Why is the clash of cultures such a serious problem for them?
Essay Topic 2
Considering the different major characters in the novel, which one do you think changes the most over the course of the book? Which one changed the least? Who was your favorite character?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Chanu knew about Nazneen's affair with Karim? Why or why not? What indications were there?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)