|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____temperament in epic theatre is discouraged.
2. Brecht categorizes the ruling classes in Hamlet as _____.
3. Brecht states that it is not the job of the Marxist-Leninist party to organize production of poetry as on a _____.
4. Where did Brecht address the all-German cultural congress?
5. The stylization by which an actor's performance becomes art must not destroy _____ in the process.
Short Essay Questions
1. What system of production is present in bourgeois society?
2. What does Brecht see as a good way of judging gestic music with a piece of text?
3. Why does Brecht say that mere catastrophe is a bad teacher?
4. Why does Brecht complain about the use of Volkstumlich in the German language?
5. What is Brecht's view on costumes and masks?
6. What does Brecht see as the reasons for lifeless and stereotyped portrayals of characters by actors?
7. In what works did Brecht give up iambics and why?
8. What did the ancients following Aristotle demand of tragedy?
9. How is a theatre's cultural standard decided and what is the fear that arises?
10. What does theatre show us about the structure of society and how is this represented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the function of Academy of Arts. How does Brecht feel about the proposals put forward by the Academy of Arts? What are these proposals?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Brecht believes theatre should transform society. How does this idea relate to his thoughts on aesthetics? How does it relate to capitalism? Who does he credit with helping him develop transformational theatre and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Brecht's philosophy of sport as entertainment to theatre. Why is one more popular than the other?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)