|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brecht calls realistic acting _____ acting.
2. What is Brueghel's great war painting called?
3. What is Brecht's chosen opposite of the queen in his analogy about nobility of characters?
4. After the moral and material collapse of Germany, the country had a vague appetite for _____.
5. Brecht states that it is not the job of the Marxist-Leninist party to organize production of poetry as on a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What system of production is present in bourgeois society?
2. What is Brecht's description of how academic critics treat folk plays and why does he think this?
3. In what works did Brecht give up iambics and why?
4. What does Brecht see as the reasons for lifeless and stereotyped portrayals of characters by actors?
5. Why does Brecht say that mere catastrophe is a bad teacher?
6. How does Brecht describe his cities after the great war in "From the Mother Courage Model"?
7. What is Brecht's view on costumes and masks?
8. What does Brecht see as a good way of judging gestic music with a piece of text?
9. What is Brecht's view on run-throughs?
10. What convention of ordinary theatre does Brecht say should be left out of his 'street scene' and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the 'alienation' effect. How do actors achieve this? Why does Brecht say that the Flemish painter, Brueghel, was able to achieve this in his art work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Brecht's philosophy of sport as entertainment to theatre. Why is one more popular than the other?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the term 'epic theatre'. What is the goal of epic theatre? How is it different from previous forms of theatre?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)