|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Brecht address the all-German cultural congress?
2. The actor first masters his character by mastering the _____.
3. Brecht states that the farmer was not aware throughout the centuries of his need for _____.
4. In Life of Galileo, the child's true mother is found by means of a _____.
5. What is Creon's laurel wreath made of in Neher's Antigone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the actors sit openly on the stage in Neher's production of Antigone?
2. How was performance kept subordinate to the story in Antigone?
3. What does theatre show us about the structure of society and how is this represented?
4. What does Brecht see as the reasons for lifeless and stereotyped portrayals of characters by actors?
5. Why does Brecht say that mere catastrophe is a bad teacher?
6. Why does Brecht complain about the use of Volkstumlich in the German language?
7. How does Brecht describe his cities after the great war in "From the Mother Courage Model"?
8. What role does observation play in acting?
9. What did the ancients following Aristotle demand of tragedy?
10. Compare the modern playwright's relationship with his audience with the tradesman's relationship with his customers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Brecht's views on the use of a model in theatrical production. In his opinion, does it restrict artistic freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Explain 'peadagogics'. What is the role of peadagogics in theatre? How does this fit into Brecht's style of theatre?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the 'alienation' effect. How do actors achieve this? Why does Brecht say that the Flemish painter, Brueghel, was able to achieve this in his art work?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)