|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Antigone picked up for production?
2. Who spoke in 1826 of the inadequacy of the English wooden stage of Shakespeare's day?
3. Brecht states that the farmer was not aware throughout the centuries of his need for _____.
4. In Neher's Antigone, what sits on four posts as part of the setting?
5. Aiming to avoid artificial heat in the production of Katzgraben, Brecht felt the company fell short on _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brecht say that mere catastrophe is a bad teacher?
2. Why did the actors sit openly on the stage in Neher's production of Antigone?
3. What is Brecht's view on setting?
4. What does Brecht see as the reasons for lifeless and stereotyped portrayals of characters by actors?
5. In what works did Brecht give up iambics and why?
6. What did the ancients following Aristotle demand of tragedy?
7. What role does observation play in acting?
8. How was performance kept subordinate to the story in Antigone?
9. What is Brecht's definition of theatre?
10. With whom did Brecht and Laughton fill the cast of Galileo and what did they have trouble with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of music in Brecht's idea of theatre. When is the use of music appropriate? How has it been used in the past in theater?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Brecht's thoughts on amateur/non-professional acting. When does this sort of acting have merit and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Brecht's views on stage design in epic theatre. What is the sole function of visual design in an epic play?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)