|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word 'Spass' mean in German?
2. How does Brecht say that the opera, the stage, and the press impose their views on the public?
3. Where was the epic production of Mann ist Mann starring Peter Lorre performed?
(a) The Louvre.
4. Brecht describes the Aristotelian play as essentially _____.
5. Who does Brecht mention in association with Paris theatre when he talks about the theatre centers of the world?
6. Where dramatic theatre emphasizes plot, epic theatre emphasizes _____.
7. In one of Brecht's examples of how projections were used, projections of warships being launched were running while two characters were fighting over _____.
(a) A woman.
(b) An Albanian oil field.
(c) A Rhineland winery.
(d) A penny.
8. What example does Brecht use to explain his concept of art following reality in "On Form and Subject Matter"?
(a) Petroleum spirits.
(b) French perfume.
(c) Pine tree sap.
9. Who wrote the play, Konjunktur?
10. Who were Brecht's Frankfurt publishers?
(b) Breitkopf Hartel.
11. What did Brecht win in 1922 for Trommeln in der Nacht?
(a) A Tony Award.
(b) The Nobel Prize.
(c) The Kleist Prize.
(d) An Oscar.
12. Theatre became an affair for _____ in light of the changes made by the ideals of epic theatre.
(b) Ladies in big hats.
13. What does Brecht say was a characteristic of actors in theatre of his time?
(a) They were war mongers.
(b) They were money-driven.
(c) They were gods.
(d) They were panic-driven.
14. Where was Theaterarbeit published?
15. Which aspect of epic theatre enlightened the spectator about facts unknown to him?
(b) The narrator.
(d) Pre-show talks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of approach does Brecht say the opera Mahagonny adopts?
2. In "Last Stage: Oedipus", Brecht says that the future of Germany's theatre is _____.
3. Which work by Goethe was better as a book than a theatrical production, according to Brecht?
4. Who was the interviewer in "Conversations with Bert Brecht"?
5. In "Shouldn't We Abolish Aesthetics?", Brecht hopes that _____ would be the death of their existing drama.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)