|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where dramatic theatre emphasizes plot, epic theatre emphasizes _____.
2. What does Brecht say put a stop to epic and didactic tendencies of theatre in Berlin?
3. Which two essays in the book are from the Brecht Archive, which were the only ones the editor of this book allowed to reproduce?
(a) Zunn und Arbeit.
(b) The two listed under number 32.
(c) The two listed under number 97.
(d) Dunkel und Deutsche,
4. Theatre became an affair for _____ in light of the changes made by the ideals of epic theatre.
(b) Ladies in big hats.
5. Who was Brecht's longtime secretary and collaborator?
(a) Alban Berg.
(b) Helge Hultberg.
(c) Elisabeth Hauptmann.
(d) Martin Esslin.
6. What did Brecht win in 1922 for Trommeln in der Nacht?
(a) The Kleist Prize.
(b) The Nobel Prize.
(c) A Tony Award.
(d) An Oscar.
7. _____ is a collection of Brecht's theoretical writings published by Surhkamp.
(d) Schriften zum Theater.
8. Where was Theaterarbeit published?
9. Major form is designed to realize material for _____, according to Brecht.
(a) The masses.
(b) The short run.
(c) The times.
10. The organization of this book is _____.
11. _____ is two volumes of collected plays published by Malik Verlag, London.
(b) Schriffen zum Theater.
(c) Gesammelte Werke.
12. Film projections became an integral part of the _____ in epic theatre.
13. _____ is fifteen volumes of Brecht's writings published by Kiepenheuer, Berlin.
14. Brecht states that knowledge is just _____.
(a) A curse.
(b) A vapor.
(d) A commodity.
15. Brecht states in "On Form and Subject Matter" that difficulties are not mastered by _____.
(a) Denying them.
(b) Practice alone.
(c) Keeping silent about them.
(d) Throwing oneself against a brick wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of opera does Brecht think the public adores?
2. Die Mutter is a piece of anti-metaphysical, materialistic, _____drama.
3. Three years after Brecht's attack, the Augsberg theatre turned entirely over to _____.
4. Who does Brecht mention in association with London theatre when he talks about the theatre centers of the world?
5. With whom did Brecht collaborate on the Berlin production of his first play, Baal?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)