|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brecht describe sport audiences?
(a) As rich and snobbish.
(b) As boorish and thoughtless.
(c) As fair and shrewd.
(d) As square and lewd.
2. What aspect of opera does Brecht think the public adores?
(a) Its backwardness.
(b) Its truth.
(c) Its music.
(d) Its lavishness.
3. Theatre became an affair for _____ in light of the changes made by the ideals of epic theatre.
(b) Ladies in big hats.
4. What were the left-wing Socialists called in Brecht's time?
(a) The NKVD.
(b) The USPD.
(c) The Strong Arm Society.
(d) The Collective.
5. How did Brecht characterize Shaw's work in "A Catching Infection: Fun"?
(a) As extraordinarily healthy.
(b) As ego-driven.
(c) As addictively engrossing.
(d) As tediously pedantic.
6. Die Mutter is a piece of anti-metaphysical, materialistic, _____drama.
7. Who wrote the play, Konjunktur?
8. Brecht states that concern with subject and concern with form are _____.
(c) Mutually exclusive.
9. What example does Brecht use to explain his concept of art following reality in "On Form and Subject Matter"?
(a) Pine tree sap.
(c) French perfume.
(d) Petroleum spirits.
10. Who was the interviewer in "Conversations with Bert Brecht"?
(a) Bernard Guillemin.
(b) Samuel Bernadin.
(c) Helen Weigel.
(d) Rheinhold Grimm.
11. _____ are Brecht's collected poems.
(c) Die Mutter.
12. Where did Brecht give an explanation of Ber Flug der Lindberghs in 1929?
(a) The Kleist Prize ceremony.
(b) The Baden-Baden music festival.
(c) The Hague.
(d) In London.
13. The goal of epic theatre is less to moralize than to _____.
14. In what year did Brecht die?
15. From the pseudo-classical German point of view, the first prison scene in the Threepenny Opera is a/an _____.
(a) Plot point.
(c) Major event.
(d) Establishing scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Last Stage: Oedipus", Brecht says that the future of Germany's theatre is _____.
2. Who created the lead role for Die Mutter?
3. Who does Brecht mention in association with Paris theatre when he talks about the theatre centers of the world?
4. Film projections became an integral part of the _____ in epic theatre.
5. What did Brecht win in 1922 for Trommeln in der Nacht?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)