|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brecht categorize opera?
(a) As trashy.
(b) As holistic.
(c) As culinary.
(d) As holy.
2. Who was the best-known composer that Brecht worked with?
3. When was Theaterarbeit published?
4. Who wrote the play Fruhlingserwachen that helped Peter Lorre make a name for himself?
5. _____ are Brecht's collected plays in twelve volumes by Surhkamp and by Aufbau from 1953 and after.
(c) Epischen Theater.
6. What does Brecht praise Georg Kaiser for?
7. Who does Brecht mention in association with Paris theatre when he talks about the theatre centers of the world?
8. What were the left-wing Socialists called in Brecht's time?
(a) The Strong Arm Society.
(b) The Collective.
(c) The USPD.
(d) The NKVD.
9. Where was Die Asthetschen Anschauungen Berthold Brechts published?
10. With whom did Brecht collaborate on the Berlin production of his first play, Baal?
11. In what year did Brecht die?
12. Die Mutter is based on whose novel, Mother?
13. Which cartoonist contributed drawings for Schweik?
(a) Geor Grosz.
(b) David Füleki.
(c) Rötger Feldmann.
(d) Otto Nückel.
14. From the pseudo-classical German point of view, the first prison scene in the Threepenny Opera is a/an _____.
(b) Plot point.
(c) Major event.
(d) Establishing scene.
15. Which work by Goethe was better as a book than a theatrical production, according to Brecht?
(a) Der Erlkönig.
(b) Iphigenie auf Tauris.
(c) Der Zauberlehrling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Piscator's Theater am Nollendorfplatz was based on _____ principles.
2. What example does Brecht use to explain his concept of art following reality in "On Form and Subject Matter"?
3. What is the main task of epic theatre?
4. What does Brecht say put a stop to epic and didactic tendencies of theatre in Berlin?
5. What aspect of opera does Brecht think the public adores?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)