|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brecht states that knowledge is just _____.
(a) A curse.
(b) A vapor.
(c) A commodity.
2. Where was The Road to Life made?
(d) The Netherlands.
3. What sort of approach does Brecht say the opera Mahagonny adopts?
(a) A didactic approach.
(b) A communal approach.
(c) A hedonistic approach.
(d) A pedantic approach.
4. From the pseudo-classical German point of view, the first prison scene in the Threepenny Opera is a/an _____.
(b) Establishing scene.
(c) Major event.
(d) Plot point.
5. What aspect of opera does Brecht think the public adores?
(a) Its truth.
(b) Its backwardness.
(c) Its lavishness.
(d) Its music.
6. _____ essays in magazines have also been used for reference in this book.
(c) Pre-World War II.
7. Who were Brecht's Frankfurt publishers?
(d) Breitkopf Hartel.
8. What does Brecht say was Wedekind's finest characteristic?
(a) His creativity.
(b) His aplomb.
(c) His vitality.
(d) His cantakerous nature.
9. Piscator's Theater am Nollendorfplatz was based on _____ principles.
10. How does Brecht describe the flesh and bones resistance to formula in the Threepenny Opera?
(a) As trivial.
(b) As pure socialism.
(c) As a diversion technique.
(d) As Baconian materialism.
11. Where dramatic theatre emphasizes plot, epic theatre emphasizes _____.
12. Where was Theaterarbeit published?
13. The organization of this book is _____.
14. Who was Brecht's longtime secretary and collaborator?
(a) Elisabeth Hauptmann.
(b) Alban Berg.
(c) Helge Hultberg.
(d) Martin Esslin.
15. Where was the epic production of Mann ist Mann starring Peter Lorre performed?
(a) The Louvre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brecht say put a stop to epic and didactic tendencies of theatre in Berlin?
2. _____ is fifteen volumes of Brecht's writings published by Kiepenheuer, Berlin.
3. In reference to film, Brecht felt that the mechanization of literary production cannot be _____.
4. Lehrstucke are Brecht's _____ works.
5. What does Brecht call people who came to the theatre to get their cockles warmed in "Conversations with Bert Brecht"?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)