|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Patrick in Chapter 44?
2. What is Patrick screaming in Chapter 42 when the detectives find him?
3. In Chapter 49, who is washing glasses at Mulvey's bar?
4. In Chapter 40, how long has Patrick been incarcerated?
5. Where are Patrick and his mother in Chapter 42?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the detectives think of Patrick in Chapter 40?
2. In Chapter 53, what happens after three visits to Mulvey's?
3. What happens to Irwin in Chapter 46 after leaving the bar?
4. What is "the other thing" that the title of Chapter 54 is referring to?
5. Chapter 33, how does Patrick describe Eily's decision after finding how she was pregnant?
6. How does the Lurex Avenger appear in Chapter 43?
7. What hallucination does Patrick have in Chapter 41?
8. How is Patrick able to get close to Vicky in Chapter 47?
9. How does Patrick confront Father Bernard in Chapter 48?
10. In Chapter 49, what happens to Mulvey's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is religion portrayed in "Breakfast on Pluto"? How are religious people portrayed? What is the author's message about religion?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of "Breakfast on Pluto", Patrick is alone. Describe how loneliness is a theme of this novel. What made Patrick end up alone? How does this differ from characters who did not end up alone?
Essay Topic 3
How does Patrick's gender confusion develop his character? How does it affect his relationships with other people? When is his gender confusion helpful to him and when does it harm him? Why do you think the author had Patrick deal with issues of gender confusion?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)