|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the priests doing in Chapter 32?
2. Why does Patrick go to visit Terence in Chapter 56?
3. What do Horse and his friends buy Irwin at the bar?
4. In Chapter 55, Charlie describes what location to Patrick?
5. What does Patrick do to Mulvey's in Chapter 49?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Patrick is taken in by police in Chapter 38?
2. In Chapter 49, what happens to Mulvey's?
3. What does Patrick write about in Chapter 32?
4. What happens when Patrick goes to see Terence in Chapter 56?
5. How does Patrick confront Father Bernard in Chapter 48?
6. In Chapter 53, what happens after three visits to Mulvey's?
7. How does Patrick feel about being released from police custody?
8. What types of things does Patrick describe doing as a prostitute in Chapter 34?
9. In Chapter 39, what role does Patrick play in his vision of the bombing?
10. In Chapter 36, what does Patrick do in West End?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does place define the characters of this novel? Select three characters and analyze how where they are located defines them as people.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of motherhood is strong throughout this novel. How does the theme of motherhood affect Patrick? How does it dictate what he does, thinks, and feels? How does this theme move the plot forward?
Essay Topic 3
Patrick searches for love throughout this novel. What is Patrick's definition of love? Use examples from the text to support your definition. How does Patrick's version of love compare to the definitions of love that other characters have? How does Patrick's meaning of love affect him?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)