|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, who do Patrick and Charlie watch on television?
2. What does Patrick want to do in Piccadilly Circus?
3. In Chapter 19, Patrick thinks about a poem he heard whom read?
4. Where does Patrick put his short story in Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 6, what does Irwin get involved with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Patrick do when he is dressed as a woman?
2. What happens when Patrick first goes to Piccadilly Circus in Chapter 18?
3. What happens between Patrick and Elephants during the ferry ride to England?
4. What happens to the soldiers in Belfast in Chapter 28?
5. What happens between Patrick and Silky String in Chapter 19?
6. What is Patrick's short story about in Chapters 7 and 8?
7. In Chapter 29, why does Patrick go searching behind the creamery?
8. What happens when Peepers Egan confronts Patrick about his essays?
9. What happens when Irwin goes with other IRA members to kill Mr. Anderson?
10. In Chapter 19, who does Patrick want to find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the development of three characters from this novel. Consider their emotional, physical, and psychological development.
Essay Topic 2
How is Patrick a tragic hero? Define tragic hero and explain how Patrick matches this definition and how he does not.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of motherhood is strong throughout this novel. How does the theme of motherhood affect Patrick? How does it dictate what he does, thinks, and feels? How does this theme move the plot forward?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)