|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What university studied the changes in personal behavior between 1957 and 1976?
2. How much had states spent on "motor voter" registration?
3. In Roper polls in the 1980s and 1990s, how many American reported going out for entertainment?
4. During what decades did giving in America increase to nearly 50 percent?
5. How many more hours did married couples average in a work week in 1998 than they did in 1969?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes in union membership have been seen in the twentieth century?
2. What warning did "Life" magazine give in an article in February, 1964?
3. Why did the Charity League of Dallas have to hold their last meeting?
4. How was the early nineteenth century in New England "a very social time"?
5. What analogy did Putnam use to show how frequent moves disrupt civic engagement?
6. What happened to the Little Rock, Arkansas Sertoma Club?
7. If fewer survey respondents said that "Most people can be trusted," what might that mean?
8. What did time diaries from 1965, 1975, 1985, and 1995 reveal about participation in religious activities?
9. What did surveys show about schmoozing?
10. What was one of the fastest-growing industries in the 1980s and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seniors volunteered in greater numbers in the 1990s than in the 1970s. Discuss why more seniors were volunteering in the 1990s than at any other time.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss bridging and bonding and provide some examples of how these types of social capital work in society.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether race was or was not responsible for social disengagement. Use arguments from the book to support your position.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)