|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between 1976 and 1997, what was the drop in families with children between eight to seventeen who vacationed together?
2. Where was the bridge club located that Putnam mentioned in Chapter 1?
3. How many years did the Charity League of Dallas meet every Friday morning?
4. In the 1940s, how likely was it that a deck of playing cards would be found in American homes?
5. In 1997, what percent of college freshmen indicated no religious preference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What analogy did Putnam use to show how frequent moves disrupt civic engagement?
2. What activities did women participate in as "machers"?
3. Why aren't voting and following politics, strictly speaking, social capital?
4. What was the mystery about the erosion of social capital?
5. What changes in union membership have been seen in the twentieth century?
6. What cards games used to be popular?
7. What contributed to the decline in religious participation?
8. What was the change in the membership numbers of major national professional organizations during the last half of the twentieth century?
9. What are intracohort changes?
10. Why was altruism an important diagnostic sign of social capital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what sprawl is and how it contributes to social disengagement.
Essay Topic 2
The idea was proposed that workers transferred their friendships, civic discussions, and community ties from"the front porch to the water cooler." Discuss whether workers transferred their social ties from the community to the workplace.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what reciprocity is and how it benefits society.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)